Profile for Woody > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Woody RSS Feed (Vermont)

Price: $15.39
196 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, great photography, November 1, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a dog lover, I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed this book.

On the whole, it is a hilarious romp comparing cats and dogs in text and photos, replete with one-liners like, "Dogs are social, cats are sociopaths.", "People train dogs, cats train their owners." , "Dogs want love, cats want fish." and "Dogs teach us patience, cats test our patience." :-)))) However, not all of the text is simple zingers. Much of it, while funny in its own right, also shows remarkable insight into dogs and their relationship with their humans.

What really sets this book apart, however, is the choice of photographs to accompany the text. The combination of the two had me in rolling on the floor laughing more than once.

Yet there are serious moments, as well, especially in the chapter entitled "The best and worst thing about dogs." In this chapter, the relatively short lifespan of dogs (as compared to humans) is discussed briefly. And then there's the section about dogs' unconditional love for humans and the ways in which some humans fail utterly in matching a fraction of their love: " The next time you see a stray dog in the street or in a rescue shelter, just stop and think about what it took to drive her away from her home. There is no living creature on this earth who is more entitled to your love and compassion." This passage really struck home for me, since I'm quite passionate about canine rescue.

The epilogue likewise ends on a serious note, with a series of questions for prospective dog adopters to consider before bringing a dog into their lives.

This one's a keeper for dog lovers (and maybe even for the occasional cat afficionado)! I'm already thinking about getting copies of this book as Christmas presents for several of my friends who love dogs as much as I do.

SlimFast Chocolate Nougat Gone Nuts Snack Bar 6-Count, 4.65 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great taste - like Baby Ruth, October 20, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was surprised at how good these Slim-Fast bars taste. They're a dead ringer for Baby Ruths (one of my favorites!).

Obviously, I can't yet tell if they will work as part of a calorie restricted diet. However, I CAN say that the taste of the bars will certainly will not stand in my way. They are much better tasting than I remember Slim-Fast shakes being.

DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
by Stefan Bechtel
Price: $19.44
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting collection - highly recommended for any dog lover, October 3, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Dogtown is an uplifting collection of stories about dogs that have been rescued by the Best Friends Animal Society. Each tale is full of pathos, since each of the dogs arrives in Dogtown either grievously injured, abandoned, mistreated, ill, or a combination of these. Yet, in the end each and every story serves as a reminder of the courage and zest for life that dogs possess and of the difference humans can make when they are determined that no dog should die simply for convenience, for lack of money for veterinary care, or because he has a behavioral problem.

Interspersed among the tales of rescue dogs are short essays by members of the staff at Dogtown depicting a dog they adopted and the impact he had on their life. But whether the subject is a particular dog's struggle to survive and find a forever home or the relationship of a human volunteer with his special dog, each story left me reassured that there ARE still good people out there. And, the book as a whole piqued my curiosity to learn more about Best Friends (and perhaps to volunteer with them) and renewed my devotion to canine rescue.

When I ordered this book, I was concerned that some of the tales might be too maudlin for me to handle. However, as it turns out, each story--no matter how sad--highlights the bond between human rescuer and rescued dog. Even when the dog never leaves Dogtown or only leaves briefly before he dies, as was the case with Mister Bones, there is a definite sense that the dog's life was far richer for the time he spent in Dogtown and that, likewise, he/she enriched the lives of the people who cared for him/her. I literally couldn't put this book down. If you love dogs, then this is a don't miss book for you!

Breakfasts With Buster: Helping Buster Battle Bone Cancer: A Journey Through Holistic and Medical Treatments for Pets
by Valerie J. Wood
Price: $12.99
13 used & new from $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A passionate paen for a special dog, but very short, dubious advice, September 30, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a dog lover myself, I admire the author's passionate love for Buster and her devotion to extending his time on earth yet maintaining a high quality of life. And I really respect her for expending the time, energy, love and devotion she showed for Buster.

However, this book is extremely short (51 pages, many of them simple lists of resources) for the $20+ price. Moreover, while I believe the author truly believes her holistic approach was what made the difference in Buster's longevity, I really have to question the efficacy of recommendations like, "Make a diligent effort to avoid any foods with sugars in them.... No rice, pasta, white flour foods, potatoes. The body converts these starches into sugar , which feeds cancer." This presented as fact, without citation of any reference.

I've been a physician (admittedly not a veterinarian) for more than 30 years and never once have I heard the suggestion made that avoiding sugars will retard the growth of a tumor, malignant or benign. I suspect the depth of the love and affection that the author and her husband had for Buster had more to do with his survival than his diet. That and the specific biological attributes of his particular tumor.

This would have been a far more satisfying book if it focused more on Buster's story (and perhaps the role spirituality played in prolonging his survival) and less on homeopathic remedies.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 3:50 AM PST

iFrogz Luxe Case for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Orange,Black)
iFrogz Luxe Case for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Orange,Black)
2 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case--saved my iPhone in a major fall, September 26, 2009
I liked this case when I bought it, but I LOVE it now.

Last night, my iPhone slid from its case and fell from the second floor down onto tile in the front hallway. I was sure it was a goner, but nope! The iFrogz case took the hit instead--cracked in two places but protected my iPhone.

I'm back here now buying another couple of these great cases.

The Lost Symbol
The Lost Symbol
by Dan Brown
Price: $22.19
7705 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of action but for what purpose?, September 24, 2009
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
This is definitely action-packed and filled with symbology, just like The DaVinci Code but that's about all that can be said in its favor.

The plot is outrageous, the plot twists contrived, and the underlying premise is ridiculously Homo sapiens-centric and self-indulgent. I raced through this book only to find an ending that did not satisfy. To me it felt like the entire meat of the book (at least its intellectual premise) was contained in the first hundred pages and the rest was just tacked on to make a contrived roller coaster ride. I'm thinking this would have been much better as a novella.

Raising Jake
Raising Jake
by Charles Carillo
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A real sleeper - a surprisingly good coming of age tale, September 13, 2009
This review is from: Raising Jake (Paperback)
This one's a real sleeper: a surprisingly good book, funny, irreverent, yet a profoundly insightful coming of age tale. I got this as a freebie on my Kindle, but unlike most of the free books I've downloaded, this one had me captivated from the very start. The middle portion, recounting father Sam's tribulations growing up Catholic really rang true--reminding me of numerous outrageous tales told by my ex, a very lapsed Catholic. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable Sunday afternoon read!

206 Bones (Temperance Brennan Series, Book 1)
206 Bones (Temperance Brennan Series, Book 1)
by Kathy Reichs
335 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Tempe Brennan story, September 10, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This story is a bit unusual in that it is presented in the form of a series of flashbacks--kernels of memory that surface while Tempe Brennan lies buried alive, trying to figure out where she is and how she got there. Otherwise, it's classic Brennan--complex plot; lots of tense moments between Tempe and Andrew Ryan; engrossing mixture of science and action. As with her earlier books, multiple plot lines are delicately and seamlessly interwoven. The scenes at Pete's (Tempe's ex) family home add richness to the character development and their eccentricities also afford a touch of (almost) comic relief.

The ending, which I will not spoil for you, is a tad far-fetched but it makes the point Kathy Reichs set out to make, namely that expert testimony must come from true expert witnesses or the justice system runs the risk of falling victim to "junk science." As she always does, Reichs makes forensic anthropology both fascinating and understandable.

Overall, I really enjoyed this latest Tempe Brennan novel and I already can't wait until the next one arrives!

Shadow of the Sword: A Marine's Journey of War, Heroism, and Redemption
Shadow of the Sword: A Marine's Journey of War, Heroism, and Redemption
by Jeremiah Workman
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense first-person account of PTSD, August 8, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've read a number of combat memoirs from the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters and enjoyed them all thoroughly. However, this book is unique in that it speaks of post-traumatic stress disorder from the first-person perspective of a decorated and dedicated "grunt." In this it is more visceral and in many ways more revealing than the more cerebral accounts I've encountered thusfar.

The book is unique in another way, as well. Instead of being told in chronological order, the details of the firefight that precipitated Sgt. Workman's PTSD are told largely in the form of flashbacks embedded at various points in the narrative. While this makes eminent good sense in the flow of the story, I must admit that I found myself jumping around to find the details of the fight before reading on.

In any event, Shadow of the Sword is a must-read for anyone who wants to really understand the human toll of combat-related PTSD. Sgt. Workman does a superb job of giving us a window into PTSD, while reminding us that those who suffer from it are "regular guys" (and gals) who are as confused by their feelings as those living with them are. Indeed, he left me wondering how anyone who has seen combat could avoid experiencing PTSD. In the end, by fighting PTSD with the same vigor he fought his physical enemies in Fallujah, and with the help of fellow marines, Sgt. Workman finally gains a measure of control over his PTSD, reconciles with his wife, and leaves us with a sense that there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

If you think that veterans with post-combat PTSDs are Rambo-esque, glazed-eyed nuts with hair-trigger anger, think again. Sgt. Workman shows us clearly the contrary: they are us--you and I and the kid next door--thrust into extraordinary circumstances and capable, with lots of support from other, of coming out stronger. Just as we owe it to veterans with visible injuries to support them and provide them with the care they need, so are we obliged for those with the hidden wounds of war, veterans with PTSD and with TBI. Without preaching, Sgt. Workman eloquently reminds us of this as he concludes with the following admonition to his brothers-in-arms: "Don't let the enemy who tore our brothers from us triumph after we've returned safely home....Keep fighting always so there is not one more Ira Hayes.* Not one."

*For those unfamiliar with his story, Ira Hayes was a WWII veteran, a marine, one of the few survivors of Iwo Jima. He returned with PTSD that went unrecognized and untreated and eventually died drunk and penniless in a ditch.

Rules of Vengeance
Rules of Vengeance
by Christopher Reich
263 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced thriller, real surprise ending, July 29, 2009
This review is from: Rules of Vengeance (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just when I thought it would be difficult to match the twists and turns of the first Jonathan and Emma Ransom novel (Rules of Deception), along comes Rules of Vengeance. Although I sometimes had difficulty keeping track of the myriad characters in this story, the plot was tense and tight and the ending came as a real surprise to me.

In a nutshell but without revealing too many plot details, Doctors Without Borders surgeon Jonathan Ransom discovers in the first book that his wife Emma is not who she seems to be. In the end, she leaves to continue her secret life. At the start of Rules of Vengeance, Jonathan goes to London as an invited speaker at an international medical conference. There he encounters Emma once again, only to watch her bomb a motorcade carrying a Russian dignitary--thereby triggering a wild, fast-paced romp across Europe.

The plot holds together well, including explanation at the very end of one small anomaly I noted early in the book. The characters and their motivations are mostly plausible, although I must admit that Jonathan's blind devotion to the wife who has deceived him once already strained credulity a little.

All in all, an excellent summer/beach read....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4