Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Eric Mars > Reviews

Browse

Eric Mars' Profile

Customer Reviews: 80

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric Mars RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
ThinOPTICS Stick Anywhere, Go Everywhere Reading Glasses plus Universal Pod Case,Black Frame, Black Case,2.00 Strength
Price: $17.95
6 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a camera, the best reading glasses are the ones you have with you when you need them, February 29, 2016
My distance vision is good, since I had lasik in my 30's. Now in my 50's, still great. But the farsightedness thing... it's actually worse. At home, I have a zillion pairs of readers. Fine. But out and about, although I had some pretty compact folding specs, I still wouldn't bring them. Or forgot them. And so I spend most of my interactions with my phone squinting and guessing.

I was looking at these on Amazon, but because I'm a freak about my tech gear, the thought of sticking these on my beautifully engineered iPhone was abhorrent, so I hesitated. In the meantime, I went to a show with a wonderful friend of mine who, because of a disability, needs to use a wheelchair and a carry a fairly heavy machine everywhere just to breathe. She deals with all that equipment and doesn't let her stop her from doing anything she wants to.

So, I bought these, realizing I have a disability too. And this is like a zillionth of the hassle she has. And so I stuck them to my pristine phone. It made the phone a little thicker. And now I actually LIKE to use my phone again! I can actually see what they mean by "retina" display! And I can always read labels at the store! Because the phone is the new wallet I never forget to have glasses, and they are SO easy to pull out and put back. The benefit of having these always handy so far outweighs the compromise on the sleekness of a nude iPhone.

They are well made, the company stands behind them, and they look like a quality accessory. If you are farsighted, you don't have to live with squinting and straining anymore. And thank your lucky stars that folks are coming up with assistive devices like this that are attractive, convenient, well designed, and easy to live with. Accept the help, you're getting older. Kudos ThinOptics!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2016 12:08 PM PDT

Logitech K380 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard, Dark Grey (920-007558)
Logitech K380 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard, Dark Grey (920-007558)
Price: $30.78
24 used & new from $18.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Hints for Windows 7 connection from a Mac person, January 6, 2016
Size, build quality, looks... all that REAL nice! My set up is complicated and I thought this thing would be too good to be true:
My personal computer, a Mac Pro, a new iPad Air2, and my work Laptop - a very recent Dell running Win 7, all sharing my desk. Before I had separate keyboards for the Mac and the Dell, and none for the iPad.

Mac Pro on #1, check! iPad on #2, check! Dell on #3 uhhhhhhhh.... took a few hours of jumping thru hurdles on this one.
Another complication, I have a Logitech (Unified Receiver) Mouse on the Dell. Step 1 is update the Logitech Options software (yeah I know this keyboard is bluetooth, but it WILL manage both this keyboard and the RF mouse! Eventually...)

1st Problem: add Bluetooth device - Windows would see it, accept the Passcode, then... Nothing. Problem was Generic Bluetooth Drivers (see Device Manager) instead of Intel Centrino whatever drivers. Only clue that Bluetooth Radio was Intel was that generic driver noted Manufacturer #2 = Intel (thank you Google). Fortunately someone else had this problem and posted a link to the Intel drivers. That got me connected and the keyboard typing! Hallelujah! For about 1 minute.

Next problem: there's a setting in device manager for the Intel Bluetooth Radio "allow computer to shut this off to save power" - MUST UNCHECK THAT. Now I had connectivity for 2 minutes! ARGH!!!!!

Turns out further down the list there's an Intel BLUETOOTH NETWORK device - that ALSO has a checkbox about saving power - MUST UNCHECK that one also!

Finally, it works! Really nice to use the same keyboard for all 3 devices, and switching connections is surprisingly fast - only a couple seconds. In Logitech Options there's even an "easy switch" view that shows the keyboard recognizes Mac OS on #1 and #2, and Windows on #3. It figured that out all by itself. Thank goodness.

Hamilton Beach 51108 Stainless Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid
Hamilton Beach 51108 Stainless Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid
Price: $16.99
27 used & new from $13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The cheapest thing is sometimes the best thing if it's the right tool for the job, August 27, 2015
I was open to spending a LOT more, but for the purpose of making protein smoothies (a little ice, couple scoops of powder, some fruit, water) this kept coming up in searches as a really good solution. It seemed too cheap but I gave it a try and it's perfect for this use. It's extremely thoughtfully designed, and the build quality does seem better than I expected. I guess they save money by not paying for informercials.

My other criteria: I didn't want another hand-blender because they are messy and hard to clean. I didn't want to use my full size blender because it's a hassle to clean, I always seemed to make too much, and its too big to leave out on the counter.

This little machine rinses out easily and stores no bigger than a large water bottle. I like the stainless steel, true you can't tell by sight when it's done, but I can tell pretty well by the sound (when you pulse it and you don't hear any more grinding sounds.) I wouldn't mind the option for a bigger cup, but that's pretty easy to work around and the small cup helps discourage overeating.

Toshiba  CB35-B3340 13.3 Inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron, 4GB, 16GB SSD, Silver) Full HD-Screen
Toshiba CB35-B3340 13.3 Inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron, 4GB, 16GB SSD, Silver) Full HD-Screen
Price: $256.66
159 used & new from $159.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine, Great Display, Even for Middle-Aged Folks. If you were thinking about a Tablet, check out Chromebook, March 19, 2015
My first Chromebook after a lifetime of Macs at home, WIndows for work. I use it as a throw-in-the-bag machine and after a couple weeks am wondering I'd ever need more than this for 99% of things and definitely see no need for a Tablet (phones are fine for those types of uses and the screens are big enough now.) The display on this Toshiba is one of the best I've seen on any computer. Yes, at finest resolution the interface is too tiny for older eyes, but settings are easy to access so I use 1536 x 864 for everything except video. In this mode the text is still razor sharp and the interface elements are just right for the bright, evenly lit 13" screen. Still compact, but perfectly readable. Really impressive. And quiet and light too. The build quality and feel is also very good. Much more plasticky than a Macbook for sure, but as good as most Windows laptops. I have a "cheap" $700 Samsung Windows laptop and this thing blows it away in terms of build quality, and the screen is no comparison, the Toshiba's fine grain IPS is up there with the Macbooks.

Human [Explicit]
Human [Explicit]
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, December 29, 2014
This review is from: Human [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
This is a really beautiful album in the finest tradition of the singer-songwriter-instrumentalist. Finely crafted, textured, nuanced.

Georgia Boot Men's Georgia Giant G8374 Work Boot,Brown,10.5 W
Georgia Boot Men's Georgia Giant G8374 Work Boot,Brown,10.5 W
Offered by OutdoorEquipped
Price: $113.20
18 used & new from $113.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Steel toes and I don't have to send them back!, December 23, 2014
I have wide feet (10.5 EE) and usually will not order steel toe boots of any kind because I almost always have to send them back. I think a lot of manufacturers must use the same size steel toe regardless of width - I've tried exchanging up a size with some boots but they still pinch (Caterpillar comes to mind as a recent example). I ordered these without noticing they were steel toed, and at some point while waiting for them to arrive, came back and saw they were. Ugh. I was really resigned to just shipping them back as soon as they arrived. Miracle of miracles they are quite roomy with no pinch whatsoever! As others have said, the fit & finish is really nice, I'm so glad I get to keep them. The reviewer on here who had the pinching problem should try a wider size, apparently with Georgia boots they actually know what they are doing with their wide sizes.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice coat, great style that can go from office to bar, December 16, 2014
Beautiful coat, well made. The stitching is not "safety yellow" as some have said, it's a tasteful, subtle shade of gold. As far as it being brown, not black. There's some truth to that. It's not true black, but if it's brown it's the darkest brown I've ever seen. You could likely get away with wearing either dark brown or black shoes with it.

MARATHON WW005011BK Leather NATO Watch Band Black 18mm
MARATHON WW005011BK Leather NATO Watch Band Black 18mm
Offered by Marathon Watch Company
Price: $44.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, November 28, 2014
Too short. Decent quality but not as pictured, smooth, no texture.

Tissot Men's T0444302605100 T-Sport PRS 516 Black Day Date Dial Watch
Tissot Men's T0444302605100 T-Sport PRS 516 Black Day Date Dial Watch
Offered by Luxurywatchstore
Price: $423.00
4 used & new from $423.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Was wary about buying this, it was an expensive watch for me..., October 21, 2014
...but I was not disappointed. I have a couple close to this in price, but this is a different league altogether. I think this is one of the most beautifully made machines I have ever owned. It doesn't try to convey "elegance" like so many watches, it just feels like a piece of very fine engineering. And impeccably tasteful, a very masculine, confident look.The picture doesn't show the minute differences in texture on the various parts. Really nice.

Timex Unisex T2P365 "Weekender" Silver-Tone Watch with Camo Nylon Band
Timex Unisex T2P365 "Weekender" Silver-Tone Watch with Camo Nylon Band
Offered by Clock Wise
Price: $21.24
16 used & new from $21.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this machine, October 20, 2014
It's easy to read and it's backlit with the press of a button which is actually a pretty unique feature in an analog watch. It does tick pretty loud, but I kind of like that. It's fairly light and if you bang it up you won't want to die. Think of it this way, you're getting 100% of the functionality of a Rolex for mere pennies on the dollar!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8