Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Dan Huse > Reviews

Browse

Dan Huse's Profile

Customer Reviews: 430

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dan Huse RSS Feed (Woodbury, MN United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Black+Decker HSVJ415JMBF71 SMARTECH Cordless 16V Max Lithium 2-N-1 Stick Vacuum 1.5Ah
Price: $169.99
3 used & new from $169.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of cool features. Wish the rug/carpet performance and battery life were better. Still a very good vacuum., June 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an Amazon Vine Reviewer, I've tested more vacuums that you can shake a stick vacuum at, but I am always game for the next "better mousetrap". So, when I got a chance to try out my first-ever CORDLESS, lithium-ion vacuum, I dang near lost sleep waiting for it to arrive. OK, that was an exaggeration, but it did promise to perhaps cut down on one of the most annoying pain points of vacuuming--dealing with the cord. I was pumped to give it a shot.

First let's talk weight. Yep, it's really light! It's made out of 99.9% plastic, and plastic is light. I hope I don't drop it and break it. That's what concerns me with plastic, but it does seem to be built well and may even survive a drop or two without breakage. Fingers crossed!

Now let's talk swivel! If you've never had a vacuum with a head that swivels, you haven't lived! OK, that was another exaggeration. Actually, I think we could all live without vacuuming, but what I mean is that the ability to twist the handle of the vacuum and get the head of the vacuum to turn left or right is pretty cool. It's like driving a sports car, except you are vacuuming the house. OK, that was a loose analogy, but you get the point. With the swivel, you can drive the vacuum where you want to go. Trust me. You will love it.

Let's not forget the built-in Dust Buster-like vacuum! How could the company who invented the Dust Buster not even mention the name Dust Buster with the cool, detachable, handheld vacuum built into this vacuum?!? That's right! This vacuum is not one vacuum, but two! Right in the middle of the vacuum handle sits the Dust Buster that you can pull out and use when a handheld vacuum is your wish. And to make it even cooler, the nozzle of the Dust Buster telescopes outward to make a built-in attachment for reaching your targeted crumbs, dust, or whatever without having to stoop so far. Very cool. I am all over this little guy built into the big guy. Very innovative.

Bagless dirt collection is the best, in my opinion. Bags are a pain, and they are extra expense. This vacuum does away with the bag and tells you with an indicator light when it is time to rinse the filters in the sink. Both the plastic filter and the pleated filter can be rinsed, but it says to be sure that everything is dry before using the filters again. This is not a wet/dry vac! The manual also says to replace the filters every 6-9 months, which is likely not really required that often. From experience, I'd say you can probably get at least a year out of the filters, if not more. I tried to find them on Amazon, and I could not even find them. Maybe they are so new that it is hard to find the filters just yet.

Multiple speeds is also pretty nifty. This vacuum has a low/high switch on the handle. Since you are dealing with a battery, best to use no more power than you need, in order to preserve your battery life. More on battery life further down in the review.

Roller brush on/off control on the handle is awesome. As we all know, you generally don't want to use a roller brush on hard floors, unless you want to disperse crumbs and dirt everywhere! And what better place to put this switch than right on the handle? Seems so logical, yet other models I have tested do not have the switch on the handle. Kudos to B&D for getting it right.

Now a more dubious claim. So, this vacuum supposedly senses the type of floor I am vacuuming and adjusts the suction power?!? I'm not so sure about that, but I also don't know why you'd need such a feature. You already have a high/low power option, and you also have a roller brush on/off option. What more do you need? If vacuuming is just too complicated for you, well then maybe you should just hire a maid! But I digress.

Vacuum performance on hard floors is good, even on ceramic tile with crumbs and other visible debris in the grout lines. On rugs and carpet, I am sorry to say this vacuum simply does not do as good a job compared to a traditional plug-in vacuum, and for the reason you might expect. Powerful cleaning, with a roller brush, would really drain down a battery. So, the roller brush on this vacuum is not really beating the rug/carpet. There is no pile height adjustment, which is a must for a traditional plug-in vacuum. The reason you don't need a pile height adjustment on this vacuum is because you are going to get a mediocre clean regardless, and you need not fear burning out a motor by having the pile height adjustment too low. There just isn't that much power going to the roller.

Now the worst shortcoming of this vacuum--the battery life. We use the vacuum maybe 5-10 minutes at a time twice daily, and the battery lasts only 1.5 days. So, you get somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes of battery life on a charge, by our estimates. This isn't very impressive, in my book, and if you are really going to rely on this vacuum, it needs to be there when you need it. A full charge comes quickly, though. I'd say it's maybe 2 hours or less (just estimating, it's not long). Regarding charging, I recommend that you remove the Dust Buster and charge that piece of the vacuum, as it holds the battery. This way, you don't have to stand up the vacuum and hope that it doesn't get knocked over while charging.

Overall, I am quite pleased with this nifty vacuum. It's not perfect, but it has enough cool things to make up for its few shortcomings.

adidas Wrist Wraps with Thumb Loop
adidas Wrist Wraps with Thumb Loop
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but maximum wrist size not very large. Support OK, but not great., June 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's start with the drawbacks.

First, I'm 6' 1" with a medium build and not huge wrist, and these wrist wraps barely fit me. If I were any bigger or beefier, they never would have fit. This seems like a mistake by the designer, especially since these would be used by weightlifters who, by definition, are usually bigger than average.

Second, from a support standpoint, they are good, but could be stiffer. If you are looking for really firm support, keep looking.

If you can get past the couple of drawbacks above, they are actually pretty nice wraps. The terrycloth on the inside does a great job soaking up sweat. They are pretty easy to put on, and the thumb loop keeps them in place, preventing them from sliding up your arms. Style-wise, they are attractive. They are 60% Cotton, 30% Polyester, and 10% Elastane for stretch. I have had no trouble washing them in our clothes washer. They come out fresh and untattered. I hang dry them.

Overall, if they fit you, and if you are OK with the level of support they offer, chances are good that you will probably like them.

Panasonic Best in Class Sports Clip Earbud Headphones with Mic/Controller RP-HS34M-W (White) iPhone, iPod, Android Compatible, Water Resistant
Price: $27.67
61 used & new from $16.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of them like iPhone earbuds, except they stay in your ears!, June 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you've read the negative reviews on these earbuds, it's because some people do not seem to understand that not all earbuds are intended to be pushed into your ear canal. These earbuds are like iPhone earbuds. They sit in your ears, and they are not to be pushed into your ear canal. Except unlike iPhone earbuds, which never want to stay in your ears, especially when you are active, the ear hook on these earbuds keeps them in place. In addition, there is an adjustment feature that allows you to slide the earbuds up/down the ear hook to ensure the earbuds are positioned ideally for best listening.

I've owned all sorts of earbuds, including Bluetooth ones, and these are the best I've used. Even though they don't block out other noise like the in-ear-canal style of earbuds, I've never been a fan of those type of earbuds. The loudness of these earbuds is more than sufficient. When I'm mowing the yard, I still don't need to have them turned all the way up on my iPhone to hear music while mowing.

I'd recommend these earbuds to anybody, especially people who are active and down want to worry about their earbuds falling out.

Emerson Ceiling Fans CF784ORB Carrera, 60-Inch Indoor Ceiling Fan, Light Kit Adaptable, Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish
Offered by PoshHaus
Price: $339.00
21 used & new from $339.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Fan, But Confusing Description and Overpriced Accessories Available Cheaper After Market, May 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For starters, this fan is plainly described on Amazon.com as having 60" blades. Yes, one would imagine this fan to be more than 10 feet across with blades that size. Wow, that would have been cool (literally and figuratively!) to have a fan that huge. In the end, I learned that they actually meant the diameter of the entire fan is about 60"--much less impressive! Boo!

Once I got over the disappointment of having a normal-sized fan, the quality of this fan was unmistakable. The rich, oil-rubbed bronze finish is amazing, and nothing about this fan says cheap. That is, until you realize that something as simple as a universal ceiling plate or an alternate ceiling plate for ceilings that slope more than about 20 degrees is not included in the box. My ceiling slopes at about 45 degrees, making the included ceiling plate useless. Instead, you have to purchase that accessory separately at $50+ (Emerson brand) or an after-market version from a home improvement store for $14.99, which is what I did. A fan at this price point should come with both ceiling plates, or at least one universal plate that will work with any ceiling, in my opinion.

Since my ceiling height is far too high for a short down rod, I needed to purchase a longer rod in oil-rubbed bronze. Again, the Emerson rod was exorbitantly priced, when compared with after-market versions in oil-rubbed bronze that will work just fine for me. I don't expect Emerson branded rods to be the same price as generic, but when talking about something as basic as a down rod for a fan, it felt to me like Emerson was being a little greedy in their pricing. I didn't reward their greed.

Incidentally, when I went online to the Emerson website to read up before the fan arrived, I found their website to be pretty confusing, as well. It wasn't totally clear to me what I was or was not receiving until I opened the box and inspected the contents. When making a purchase of this size, I feel like things should have been more clear in order to not frustrate a potential customer. Had I not been an Amazon Vine reviewer receiving this fan for free, I might have just chosen another brand that was less confusing regarding the size of the fan and the accessories included. For a brief spell, I was actually concerned that perhaps I was only getting the motor, not the fan blades, since Emerson actually sells fans that way, too.

In the end, this is a very high quality fan that will look awesome in my home, but part of the overall product experience lies in the details--the clarity of the product description, receiving what you believe you ordered, finding what you expect in the box, and not feeling like you are being overcharged for things that should have been included. For these shortcomings, I am docking the rating by 1 star to just 4 stars.

SoundPEATS Bluetooth Headphones Sport Wireless Sweatproof Earbuds for Running with Mic (8 Hours Play Time, Bluetooth 4.1, aptx, Secure Fit Ear-hook Design) Q11 - Red
Offered by SoundPEATS Audio
Price: $129.99
3 used & new from $28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Design Flaw: Horrible Power/Volume Control Location, May 21, 2016
Given the mostly very positive reviews on these headphones, I expected a lot. Unfortunately, as the headline to this review suggests, there is one horrible design flaw that led me to decide these headphones must get returned.

The power/volume controller is midway down the cord between your right ear and your neck, and this weight is noticeable and annoying. The cord pulls to the right, and I kept having to push the cord toward the back of my head. They could have fixed this by putting the power/volume controller exactly in the middle of the cord. Yes, this means it would rest on the back of your neck, but at least then it would be balanced and the cord would not drive you berserk.

Other than the design flaw, I thought these were very good headphones that performed well. Still, the one flaw was just too much for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2016 9:04 PM PDT

Artiva USA Geometric, Contemporary Design, 60-Inch Chrome & Black Contrast Floor Lamp with Rectangular Hardback Shade
Price: $217.41
7 used & new from $200.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy Construction, Overpriced, But Looks Decent, May 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My dissatisfaction with this lamp started with the cheap styrofoam used in the box. It had a million little styrofoam pieces/balls with static cling that stuck to me, the carpet, and everything else.

After I unpacked the lamp, I realized it was bent. Rather than standing straight up, it stood at an angle. The chrome vertical portion of the lamp was flimsy and much too loose. The only way to tighten up the base was to peel off the felt on the bottom of the base, which was not intended to be removed, so that I could use a wrench and attempt to tighten the bolts. I was able to do so just well enough to make it acceptable. It's still too loose, but my crescent wrench could only do a so-so job.

The welds on the metal are not great. I think I did better in metal shop in junior high or high school. The chrome is not applied uniformly, but it is OK.

The lamp shade is the nicest part of the lamp, and that's not to say it's the greatest I've ever seen, but it has a modern look to it.

Overall, if I had paid $50 for the lamp, I'd be moderately satisfied. But this lamp is presently selling for over $200 on Amazon. I am an Amazon Vine reviewer who received it for free to review. If I had paid over $200 for it, I would have returned it in a heartbeat. It simply is not worth that kind of money, given the poor quality of construction and visible imperfections.

Keep on searching. This lamp is not worth your money.

Sony SRSXB3/BLK Portable Wireless Speaker with Bluetooth (Black)
Sony SRSXB3/BLK Portable Wireless Speaker with Bluetooth (Black)
Price: $148.00
9 used & new from $79.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it. Buy a Braven Balance instead. Trust me!, May 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Today is your lucky day! I am an Amazon Vine reviewer who just reviewed a far superior product to this Sony wireless speaker last October, and now you can benefit from my experience testing both models. You will be happier with the alternative to this Sony, and you will save money. What's not to like?!?

In order to be absolutely certain that the other product is far superior, I tested them both side by side this afternoon to reconfirm my thoughts. So, with no further ado, I will tell you that the alternative that is much better than this Sony is the Braven Balance wireless speaker Braven Wireless Speaker for Smartphones - Retail Packaging - Purple/Gray. If you want to read my review on the Braven Balance, here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/review/RX7WIF53XKZFL/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00ZKTKWOU.

There is a long list of reasons why I do not like this Sony as much:

- SOUND QUALITY: Without "Extra Bass" button pushed, the sound is hollow and shallow. With the "Extra Bass" button pushed, the sound is muffled and high notes are drowned out. Not what I would call punchy or rich bass. As you turn up the volume, the sound quality gets really bad--distorted noticeably, especially when you compare it to the Braven Balance, which sounds amazing at high volume. Since sound quality is the reason why most people choose one speaker over another, you could stop here, but I'll give you a few more reasons why I prefer the Braven Balance over this Sony.

- COLOR: This Sony comes in black, red, or blue. The Braven Balance comes in 6 different colors, including some brighter, more stylish colors.

- NO BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR: This speaker doesn't tell me how much battery life is left. The Braven Balance has 5 indicator lights that function like a gas gauge to tell you whether you are at 20/40/60/80/100%.

- SPLASH PROOF, BUT NOT IPX7 WATERPROOF: That's right. This Sony claims splash proof, but the Braven Balance is IPX7 rated as waterproof.

- NO BUILT-IN NOISE-CANCELING MICROPHONE: Both this Sony and the Braven Balance can be used for hands-free speaker phone calls, but the Braven Balance boasts a built-in noise canceling microphone. Advantage Braven.

- PRICE: It's quite a bit more expensive than the Braven Balance on Amazon at this moment.

So, is there anything I like better about the Sony? Yes. There are a couple of nicer things, but they do not overcome the shortcomings above. What I like over the Braven Balance are the following:

+ EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND/USE BUTTONS: The Sony uses 7 buttons that make sense, as opposed to the Braven Balance, which uses just 4 buttons and requires you to remember which one to hold down for pairing and which 2 buttons to push at once in order to put the Braven Balance into "Boost" mode.

+ ABILITY TO CONNECT MULTIPLE SPEAKERS: Apparently, you can play multiple Sony wireless speakers at once, which might be cool, but at this price, and with this sound quality, do you really want more of them? Not me.

+ UP TO 24 HOURS BATTERY LIFE: The Braven Balance claims up to 18 hours. Not a huge difference, but a minor advantage to the Sony.

So, go buy yourself a Braven Balance, and thank me when you receive it. I'll take great satisfaction in each and every happy customer. No, I don't get paid by Braven. I just believe in helping my fellow shoppers!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2016 7:03 PM PDT

Invicta Men's 'Pro Diver' Quartz Stainless Steel Casual Watch, Color:Silver-Toned (Model: 22405)

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Style, Not Much Substance, Unrefined Details, May 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The pleather (yes, fake leather) box is what strikes you first when you receive this watch. It's a bright yellow box, which is flashy, and that pretty much sums up what's inside the box--a flashy watch that is lacking in refinement, in my opinion. When you put together all the little things that just are not right, it takes on the feel of cheap junk, though it doesn't look it at all. If you are into flashiness at a fair price, then this watch is decent, but not great.

So what do I not like about this watch? Here's my list of complaints:

- 2-Cent Paperboard Box: The flashy yellow pleather box is inside of world's cheapest paperboard box--thinner even than a cereal box and much less impressive than a box of Lucky Charms. If this watch is really a premium watch, then it deserves better.

- Flashy Yellow Pleather Box: It's anything but leather, and it stinks. Again, a premium watch should come in a box that is not fake, but real.

- Torn/Tattered Warranty Materials: Stuffed into the case by somebody who was in a hurry. I wonder how many of these they crank out per hour.

- Universal Paperwork: The user manual is intended for every watch they make, not for the particular model you purchased. So, you have to find the watch in the manual that is most like the one you bought. This is cheesy and unbecoming of a luxury item.

- Undersized Magnifying Bubble on Crystal: This bubble is intended to magnify the date, but if you are not looking at the watch straight on, you will not be able to read the date. They should have made this bubble bigger to allow it to be functional from more angles.

- Non-Rotating Black Ring: This watch is referred to as "Pro Diver". I think a pro diver would want the ring to rotate, as it should on a diver watch. This watch is all for show, not for diving.

- Swiss Nothing: Reading the listing on Amazon, one would think this watch came straight from Switzerland. In reality I see nothing anywhere on the watch that refers to Switzerland. On the contrary, the back of the watch says Japan movement. The Swiss would not be very happy with this!

- Uncreative Band: It's not a very creative or unique band, in my opinion. It's actually pretty boring.

- Budget Watch, But Requires Jeweler or Tool Investment: This watch comes sized to fit an elephant's wrist. Unless you plan to invest in a watch bracelet adjustment kit or visit a jeweler, you are out of luck. You won't be able to adjust this bracelet with any standard tools. So, you spend maybe $100 on a watch and they $10-$20 for a DIY project to make it fit, or who knows how much to get a jeweler to fit it for you. I'm sure they won't give you any deals on the adjustment when you didn't buy the watch from them.

As far as what I like about the watch, the list is very short. It's flashy, and it's heavy. That's it. Nothing more.

Grund Organic Cotton Bath Rug, Namo Series, 17-Inch by 24-Inch, White
Grund Organic Cotton Bath Rug, Namo Series, 17-Inch by 24-Inch, White
Price: $27.99
5 used & new from $23.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A rug is not a rug., May 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Go to your local retailer and look around for a bathroom rug. You'll find 99% of them are the polyester yarn rugs with the short pile. Yep, just like grandma had in her bathroom 50 years ago. Polyester is fine, if you have no taste and don't mind standing on a piece of plastic. Yeah, it's plastic. Now, if you are more discerning and want something that looks luxurious, feels amazing on your bare feet, and shows that you have taste, then look for something made of cotton--pure cotton. If your substance runs more than skin deep, you don't want just any cotton. You want organic cotton. Just like your organic vegetables, it's not about the WHAT (the rug), but the HOW (how did it come to be). Organic means socially and environmentally friendly.

That brings us to this simple, yet refined, organic cotton rug. It has a deep pile, but it doesn't flatten out the minute you step on it. And the strands do not all stand straight up or even lean in the same direction. It's like a hip teenager's hair--all over the place--except without the pomade, gel, or mousse. The nonslip back functions perfectly. The bright white will go with just about anything. I have blue towels on the wall, and it looks great. You can wash it on gentle in the wash machine and hang dry it. And, on top of all that function, you can feel good about how it came to be.

There are those in life who are ordinary. They buy tasteless things from Walmart that will eventually cause the Earth to stop spinning. I hope I'm on the sunny side when that happens, and I hope those people realize that their stupid plastic rugs were part of the problem. I can think of lots of better uses for plastic than a rug.

And just because it's organic doesn't mean you should try eating it. Perhaps a good source of fiber, but still not a good idea.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2016 8:00 PM PDT

Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed (Not Sold in Pinellas County, FL)
Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed (Not Sold in Pinellas County, FL)
Price: $48.57
8 used & new from $48.57

5.0 out of 5 stars More expensive than other brands, but probably worth it., May 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been buying off branded weed and feed for my entire adult life. When you don't know what you are buying, generic is just fine. I could never get myself to part with the extra cost of Scotts brand. So, when I got a chance to try it for free, as an Amazon Vine reviewer, I was game to finally figure out what I've been missing.

It only takes opening up the bag to realize this isn't the same stuff other brands sell for much cheaper. It is pure white, and it's quite fine--finer than any other fertilizer I've used. I'm convinced that the finer texture allows the fertilizer to get down to the soil surface easier than larger granules. This is where you want the fertilizer so that it can get into the soil to feed your lawn and kill the weeds.

I applied the weed and feed a week ago, and my grass is already noticeably greener. Further, even though my neighbors' yards are full of dandelions, my yard has none. It is obviously working. I'll keep watching and update this review with any notable changes.

So far, I am a believer in Scotts. I'm thinking the next time I need to part with my own money for fertilizer, I'll buy the biggest bag possible of Scotts off from Amazon to maximize the value. Cheaper fertilizer is only a better value if it really works, and I haven't always gotten the greatest results.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20