Profile for J. Arena > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 326

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Arena RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sexy Hair Big Sexy Hair Powder Play, 0.53 Ounce
Sexy Hair Big Sexy Hair Powder Play, 0.53 Ounce
Offered by Salon Styled
Price: $9.00
15 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! It works!, February 27, 2015
Big Sexy Hair actually works. I bought it based on the good reviews, and I was not disappointed at all. After cutting my hair, I wanted it to look much fuller, taking advantage of the layers. Using a small amount, I applied it very sparingly near the roots and worked it through where I wanted fullness. Presto -- much bigger hair wherever I applied it. The more I worked with it, the better I liked the results. I will definitely purchase this product again and recommend it to friends. Worth every penny.

Feral
Feral
by Holly Schindler
Price: $13.42
84 used & new from $1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A little heavy on the cat descriptions., February 27, 2015
This review is from: Feral (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Feral is not a bad horror/suspense/teen novel that certainly manages to build enough suspense. However, and this is a BIG however, some of the descriptions of the cats managed to be so, so... disgusting that it did way more than set the tone, but darn-near prevented me from finishing reading the book. However, I sallied forth and was not ultimately disappointed. No spoilers here, but there is enough to satisfy lovers of suspenseful/horror tales. Therefore, recommended for those with greater toleration of unsavory descriptions of cats.

The Promise of Amazing
The Promise of Amazing
by Robin Constantine
Price: $13.78
84 used & new from $0.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not what I was expecting..., February 27, 2015
This review is from: The Promise of Amazing (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perhaps I should have read more reviews before I read The Promise of Amazing. I jumped on the idea of a medieval themed restaurant, a boy in trouble for selling term papers... It seemed like it would be fun. The characters sit-comish, the trials and tribulations of the characters amusing, etc. However, there was much that I considered somewhat unsavory and not what I anticipated in a YA novel. Therefore, I'd say that it was not that this novel was bad, but that I was disappointed by the darkness of the situations that evolved, not to mention the ending.

OK novel for the wrong reader.

Very Healthy Spiral Vegetable Slicer, Zucchini & Carrot Veggie Pasta Maker
Very Healthy Spiral Vegetable Slicer, Zucchini & Carrot Veggie Pasta Maker
Offered by Varietyland
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little kitchen tool!, February 25, 2015
After receiving a Very Healthy Spiral Vegetable Slicer in exchange for a fair and honest review, I must confess that we had some fun with it. The first thing we did was make a salad using cucumber and carrot, a touch of diced onion and a dash of ranch dressing. It was pretty darn good. You have to be sure to not use limp carrots that have been lingering a bit too long in the crisper. We also made a small carrot and raisin salad, which was awesome. This family generally likes veggies, so this is a winner all around. After making the strips of veggie, you are left with a core that looks like fusilli pasta, which we sectioned up and used on top!

Our next experiment was with white potato, which we used to make "breakfast potatoes," merely adding Mrs. Dash and butter. I'd like to try this another time by adding the potato to a seasoned egg mixture. Only later did we realize that there is a nice recipe book available for download on the manufacturer's web site. The Broccoli Noodles With Nuts and the Sweet Potato Noodles look particularly interesting.

The Very Healthy Spiral Vegetable Slicer is a cute item -- kind of like a combination of cooking and arts and crafts -- we couldn't stop thinking about different things we might create with it. Also, I will report that a six-year-old who "hates" vegetables, quite willingly sampled everything we made. (Victory is ours!!) However, despite her begging, there is no way I would allow a child to use this because there are sharp blades. It's not going to replace that huge Cuisinart I've got stashed in a cabinet, but for preparing an ingredient for one or two -- this is really fun, and it's all in one piece so there is no assembly required. Best results are obtained from using straight vegetables without hard bumps, so there are definitely limitations. This is small and strictly hand-powered. You hold the slicer and turn the veggie. Experimentation will give you the best results and for a relatively modest price you can produce some pretty cool results.

I would consider the Very Healthy Spiral Vegetable Slicer appropriate for a bridal shower "wishing well" gift, for a friend starting out in a new apartment, and especially for a college student to improve "dormitory diets!" Of course, if you're interested in finding new ways to serve vegetables at home, this is a great gift for yourself! Recommended!

Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat
Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat
Offered by STL PRO, Inc.
Price: $51.46
18 used & new from $42.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, convenient and comfy!, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a great way to keep your little one comfy, entertained and able to play and interact with others in the room, even if she is not quite ready to sit up completely on her own. Older siblings and cousins got a kick out having the baby in it. This is an excellent design that is easy to keep clean, easy to carry from room to room (or more importantly, to Grandma's house.) The attached little toys are colorful and cute. We especially like that it goes with the "fantasy animal" theme that is in our little one's room. Nicely designed. We really like it.

Milk Chocolate Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix 60-0.73 oz Envelopes
Milk Chocolate Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix 60-0.73 oz Envelopes
Offered by The mall online
Price: $11.49
31 used & new from $2.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Good taste! Good value!, February 25, 2015
Wow! Pretty good price for 60 cups of hot chocolate! (Also nice to sneak a bit more calcium into your diet.) We've been buying this brand for years, and it's great to have this ready supply on hand, especially with all the freezing weather we've been having. But any time of year, we love it added to a cup of coffee. It tastes as good as the mocha drinks at coffee bars that can set you back at least the price of half this case!

Camellia Famous New Orleans Black Beans, 1 Lb Bag (Pack of 3)
Camellia Famous New Orleans Black Beans, 1 Lb Bag (Pack of 3)
Offered by M&R Deals
Price: $18.17
2 used & new from $18.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Really good., February 25, 2015
Beans are beans, right? (Well, except for magic beans. But that's another story.) We never had this particular brand of black beans before, and they were excellent. Can't quite put my finger on it, but everyone said they had a full, rich flavor. We added them to a veggie soup with chicken broth. Guess you have to try it for yourself to know how good they are.

French Bull- Bounce- Stylus for Touchscreen Devices including Apple iPad, iPhone and other tablet and smart phones
Offered by WITH it
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do I need this thing?, February 23, 2015
When I was first offered the opportunity to receive a stylus in exchange for a fair and honest review, my first response was to ask myself, "Why do I need this thing?" I mean, I've been using various electronic devices for years. I thought I was doing very nicely with my fingers leaving potato chip smears all over the screen. I mean, I clean it off later, so what's the big deal?

Well, here are a few factors that made me realize that I did, indeed, need this thing. First of all, it's cold here. Not just a little cold, but freaking cold. I was shocked to discover that trying to call my significant other to pick me up when my car wouldn't start resulted in wrong numbers. Several of them. (I'd like to especially apologize to the person who aswered at the Church of Little Hope who I accidentally asked to meet me in the parking lot -- twice.) That was bad. So, when it's cold and your arthritic fingers are not so responsive, a stylus is a good thing.

Next, because various banks and web sites have started to require longer and more complicated passwords, it's easier and easier to get locked out of accounts for "excessive" attempts to incorrectly sign in. (I'd like to especially apologize to the telephone rep at my savings bank who I called a.... Well, I'm sure she recalls the incident, and I apologize.) My fingers are not so slender nor so nimble to handle these new requirements. So again, a stylus is a good thing.

Additionally, when writing business or personal text messages or emails, it's important to realize that spell check is NOT your friend if your fingers are not at the top of their game. (I would like to especially apologize to a certain Mrs. Lupfer who I cordially addressed as Mrs. Lucifer, although I never trusted your husband, anyway.) Perhaps that is a matter for another time. But, again, a stylus would have been a very, very good thing.

Lastly, I think, I should mention that I am a fan of extreme manicure styles. When typing on a friend's android device, I discovered that ceramic nails can etch a souvenir into the screen. (I'd like to personally apologize to my cousin Edna, for snooping on her text message activity while she was in the ladies' room at Trader Vic's.) There was no denying the scratch and my guilt. So, if you are involved in covert operations, a stylus is a very, very good thing.

If, indeed, my personal folly has established that a stylus is a very, very good thing, I should also mention that the French Bull Bounce Stylus is, indeed, a very, very cute one. Totes adorbs! :) And highly recommended!

Professor Kingsley's Impression of Shalimar for Women. Concentrated Fragrance Oil. (1/6 oz Concentrated Roll On)
Offered by Kingsley's Oils
Price: $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST BUY!! Smells JUST like the real thing!, February 23, 2015
Shalimar was a favorite of mine years ago. I guess I never stopped loving it, despite my fickle choices from the perfume counters. Recently, I was in a large store while on vacation, and couldn't resist the urge to take a sample spray of Shalimar. It was instant love all over again. I didn't buy it, clearly because of the cost. Looking to see if I might beat that outrageous price on Amazon, I stumbled upon Professor Kingsley's versions of famous scents. Based on largely rave reviews, I immediately placed an order.

I can't tell the difference between Professor Kingsley's Impression of Shalimar and the real thing, and it lasts and lasts. This little bottle is going to be used for months, and when it's finished I know I will order more.

Be aware that the scent is very concentrated. A little goes a long way, and you are really getting a lot for a little price. If you are looking for a nice gift for yourself or a friend, try the luxurious powdery, flowery, exotic scent of (almost) Shalimar!

Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Magenta
Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Magenta
Price: $139.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One for me, One for a friend!, February 23, 2015
This is an absolutely splendid invention! I sent one to a friend in another state along with Amazon Prime. She refers to it as "the gift that keeps on giving." The recipient is not really computer-savvy, and is in an absolute wonderland over the functions of this Kindle Fire HD -- movies, books, games, email, etc. It makes me happy to know that something I love so much has opened up windows of exploration for a friend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20