Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Amanda Hocking > Reviews

Browse

Amanda Hocking's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amanda Hocking RSS Feed (Austin, MN)

Page: 1 | 2
Atlantic 38435719 Oskar 464 Media Wall Unit P2 (Espresso P2 version)
Atlantic 38435719 Oskar 464 Media Wall Unit P2 (Espresso P2 version)
Price: $58.70
27 used & new from $48.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult to build, August 18, 2015
It is very difficult to put together, and mine broke in the process, since it's made out of such flimsy material.

The Faculty [Blu-ray]
The Faculty [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Michelle Holmes
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $12.97
20 used & new from $5.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, January 31, 2011
This review is from: The Faculty [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I used to have this on VHS, but I just got it on Bluray. This movie is so awesome. It's a phenomenal cast, great writing. It's fun and cool. I'd say this is the best teen horror movie to come out in the last thirty years. Yeah. Cause it's that awesome. Plus, it has one of the last songs Layne Staley (of Alice in Chains) ever recorded. So that's pretty cool, too. I love Kevin Williamson and Robert Rodriguez, and they were amazingly together.

Mystery Men
Mystery Men
DVD ~ Ben Stiller
Price: $9.99
148 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Mystery Men (DVD)
I think this is one of the funniest movies of all time, and it's totally underrated. Hank Azaria is delightful, and this is about the only time I've liked Ben Stiller.

Cop Out
Cop Out
DVD ~ Bruce Willis
Price: $5.32
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this movie, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Cop Out (DVD)
Seriously. This movie far exceeded my expectations. Yes, it was dumb, but it was dumb on purpose. It was to Shane Black what "Not Another Teen Movie" was to John Hughes. It was silly and really funny. I'm not a huge Tracy Morgan fan, but I loved him in this. At times, I felt like Kevin Smith just let the camera go and let Tracy say whatever came to his mind. And it worked for me. Bruce Willis was great at playing caricature of John McClane, and Sean William Scott was fun. Jason Lee's snarky cameo was delightful.

Actually, this reminded me most of "Hot Rod," which I also loved. So if you love "Hot Rod" or 1980s buddy copy movies, then you'll probably love this.

And the soundtrack was PHENOMENAL. I loved it.

Was this a great film? No. But it was entertaining and fun, and it totally redeemed Kevin Smith for after "Jersey Girl." And if I had to choose between watching "Cop Out" or the last "Die Hard" movie, I would definitely pick "Cop Out."

"Cop Out" would fit perfectly on the shelves between "Beverly Hills Cop" and "Lethal Weapon."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 10:44 AM PST

Palo Alto: Stories
Palo Alto: Stories
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, December 23, 2010
I found this a bit disappointing, but mostly because I was expecting something either incredibly terrible or something completely brilliant, and this fell in the middle. I guess that's how things roll with James Franco - he never does what I expect. Ever.

This would've made a better screenplay, though. In a visual medium, it would've been slightly surreal, ala Sofia Coppola. But in the written word, something doesn't quite jive. Overall, though, it wasn't bad. A couple stories were pretty good.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles Forever
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles Forever
DVD ~ Michael Sinterniklaas
Price: $5.00
35 used & new from $1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars TubularI, December 12, 2010
There's all sorts of reviews freaking out about a minus 9 minutes of footage and stuff about the format of the DVD. I had no problems with format whatsoever, and I'm very happy that I ignored reviews and bought the DVD anyway. I only caught the last 15 minutes of it on TV the other day, and I couldn't find it on again so I bought it.

The movie itself is fantastic. I grew up a hardcore Turtle fan, and while I tried to get into the newest series a few years back, I never really could. The original turtles are bit bumbling and silly, which I love. I laughed, A LOT. And I love Krang! It was so great to see him again.

The one minor complaint I had with the film was the 1987 Leonardo. He was more silly than he ever was then. The others could get pretty wacky, but Leo always tried to reel them in. But in the movie, he wasn't very much of a leader. But otherwise - it was soooo awesome.

A Land of Ash
A Land of Ash
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, December 11, 2010
This review is from: A Land of Ash (Kindle Edition)
"Land of Ash" is an anthology of short stories by David Dalglish, David McAfee, Daniel Arenson, John Fitch V, Michael Crane, and Robert Duperre. The premise is simple: The Yellowstone Caldera erupts, covering the world in ash, and that's the unifying theme between the eleven different stories. It's all about survivors, and how they deal with total devastation in a land covered in ash.

I read Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King a few weeks back, and I like Land of Ash better. Not that I didn't like Full Dark, No Stars - because I really did. King is a master of the underrated medium of short stories and novellas. But I still enjoy Land of Ash more.

My favorite is "Shelter" by David Dalglish. It's about a father and his small child holing themselves up in the house after the ash comes. There's something so simple and bittersweet about it that's perfect.

That's not to say there's any bad stories in it - "Beach Puppies" is somewhat lighter than most of the other stories, and "Last Words" brings it down to a more personal level and less apocalyptic, if that makes sense

Lessons (and other morbid drabbles)
Lessons (and other morbid drabbles)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick & Fun, December 8, 2010
It's morbid and fun in an Edward Gorey or Tim Burton sorta way. It's short, but not in a bad way, and even though each story is only 100-words they feel complete. Like long haikus. Definitely worth the price.

Pretty in Pink (Everything's Duckie Edition)
Pretty in Pink (Everything's Duckie Edition)
DVD ~ Molly Ringwald
Price: $9.99
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't she Pretty in Pink?, November 14, 2010
Probably my favorite John Hughes film, and that really is saying something. I love this movie lots. If you haven't seen it, you need to.

Two Strangers
Two Strangers
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Lab is Awesome, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Two Strangers (MP3 Music)
I've been listening to Black Lab for 13 years, and I keep waiting for them be picked up by the mainstream. They are an amazing band, and this album is one of their best yet. I really love "I Still Believe It" and "Say Goodbye." Black Lab has the unique ability to walk a fine line in music. They're rock without being too rock. They're soft without being too soft. They always genuine and sincere, and they're songs get stuck in your head. I don't even know who to compare them too, because there's nothing like them. They're just that awesome. So guy buy this album. Hurry.

Page: 1 | 2