Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for K. Burton > Reviews

Browse

K. Burton's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Burton "KMC Burton" RSS Feed (Murrells Inlet, SC United States)

Downton Abbey Season 1
Downton Abbey Season 1
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show!, June 10, 2014
Episode 1 is a masterpiece that captured me completely in its storytelling. Great characters and relationships, wonderful and subtle performances, no frills... just good stories!

One Day At A Time: A Daily Devotional Guide For Each Day Of The Year. (The Daily Walk Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enouragement for anyone and everyone, September 3, 2013
A seasoned pastor and publisher, Rev. Smith has filled this book with something we mustn't forget in our hectic days: the inspirational, encouraging, and challenging effect of God's word. Even the busiest reader will be able to flip through One Day at a Time and receive a word that is applicable to life today.

VIZIO E-Series E241i-A1 24-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED Smart HDTV (tilted base)
VIZIO E-Series E241i-A1 24-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED Smart HDTV (tilted base)
2 used & new from $190.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product for an awesome price!, May 14, 2013
We added this for use on our screened in porch. With the wifi connection, we are able to stream from the home network with no problem. It's a perfect addition and easy to use!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2015 9:33 PM PST

Heart of the Matter
Heart of the Matter
by Emily Giffin
468 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Unexciting depiction of a somewhat-fresh adultery tale, May 15, 2010
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Hardcover)
Something Borrowed is my favorite modern novel. Period. I love how it shows a balanced, thoughtful, emotional account of infidelity, friendship, and the complexities of turning 30 with unrealized expectations...with flawed characters whose voices and backgrounds are varied and ring true.

It seems, though, that in each subsequent release, the narrators of Giffin's stories become more cookie-cutter, more self-absorbed, more whiny. In fact, the first few chapters of Heart of the Matter were boring...too much exposition, to much 'tell,' flashback, character descriptions. What happened to letting us know the characters by their behaviors and actions? Honestly, I was thrown back to Sweet Valley High when Jessica and Elizabeth's physical appearances, down to their aquamarine eyes, were described in detail around page 6 of Every. Single. Book.

Also: female novelists: PLEASE stop giving every mommy-protagonist a single BFF who is longing to have what the mommy has. Is it possible that some single women are happy with their lives? Is it possible some married mothers are best friends with... other married mothers? You don't need that cliche character in order to cultivate a random bar/hi-jinks plot excursion. Cate was unnecessary. Completely. (And don't get me started on Romy. People DO have layers...even rich, entitled ones).

That said, this story did get better as time went along, although I found the character Val, because of what she exposed her child to, to be not nearly as sympathetic as she should have been. I found Tessa to be fairly bland. I found the re-appearance of two of my favorite characters from Giffin's original storyline (I won't name and spoil it) to be very exciting at first...but also... a little vanilla.

I am worried that Giffin has shown us all her tricks, kind of like Danielle Steel did with her first 2 or 3 of 8 million novels. We have a lawyer...we have a competitiveness among well-to-do women...we have infidelity of some kind...we have a female character who basically has it all but is inexplicably unsatisfied over conditions she could change if she tried... oh, and we have twins. (It's not a bothersome recurring happenstance, but again, we get it. Giffin has twins...)

The relationship between Tessa's parents and the culmination of their past was my favorite moment in the book. I also appreciate that The Conflict was handled with sensitivity toward all parties involved. For once, though, I would appreciate a mommy story in which the mommies are not too busy trying to one-up each other and make their kids into organic-Stepford-moppets to actually support and advocate for one another. There was a great passage in the book in which Tessa describes all the things the mommies compare in each other... their husbands, their houses, their problems. What I loved most about the passage was that the things listed were all things I discuss with my mommy friends...in a NON-critical or competitive way.

Why is it so hard for female novelists to give females credit?

I will continue to read Giffin, because she created Dex and Rachel and Darcy and Marcus and Hilary...but when the next novel comes out, I might be on the library's waiting list instead of on the Amazon pre-order...
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 12:16 PM PST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of description, December 5, 2007
I bought this thinking it was a coat... for cold weather. What it actually is is a lovely jacket to wear with outfits or perhaps as a cool weather jacket. I live in Chicago in a harsh winter, and this won't serve my purposes at all. Again, the jacket itself is very nice, though I wouldn't have paid $40.00 for just a maternity jacket. If you are looking to keep warm in cold weather, this one is not the answer.

Isaacs Bluegrass: Sonya
Isaacs Bluegrass: Sonya
Price: $11.99
27 used & new from $8.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonya Isaacs has a soaring voice., September 1, 2006
This review is from: Isaacs Bluegrass: Sonya (Audio CD)
Sonya Isaacs does amazing things with her voice. The Isaacs are a family group with an extreme talent in making bluegrass harmonies, vocally and instrumentally. This CD is a collection of songs featuring Sonya's vocals, and it does not disappoint. If you're a fan of Allison Krauss, you will fall in love with this sound.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2008 6:42 PM PST