Profile for Party Game Officianado > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Party Game Officianado "Diane Wolfson" RSS Feed (Telluride, CO)

Name 5 Game
Name 5 Game
Offered by Games, Gifts, Gadgets and More
Price: $20.11
84 used & new from $7.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game With Some Flaws, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Name 5 Game (Toy)
Name 5 is a fun game. So I'll start by naming 5 things I like about it.

1) It's a great idea. I love brainstorming little lists of things.
2) Many of the card ideas are fun, like name 5 "gifts for a man," or "first names that can be male or female."
3) It has 288 cards with 1,400 answers. That's a lot.
4) The cards are easy to read.
5) The content is rated PG. No surprises.

That said, here are 5 things I don't like about this game.

1) I've always questioned the format of 5 answers on one card. Once you've gone through the 288 cards, there are still answers you haven't played, but now you're increasing the chances for repeats. It's a cheap way to manufacture 1,400 answers vs. putting them all on separate cards.

2) The game board is unnecessary, and it's visually confusing. An unnecessary game board is a big pet peeve of mine. The board in a board game rarely, if ever, adds to the actual game play and fun. What it does do is create paper and plastic products (pawns, die, etc.), that are manufactured in China and shipped to the U.S. and then sold to you as the consumer at an increased price.

3) The instructions are overly complex. This is a simple game: take a card and name 5 of the things the card tells you. If there were no board, there would be no need for these complex rules. See number 2 above.

4) There is a subjectivity problem. This is an even bigger pet peave than unnecessary game boards. I firmly believe party games should not allow answers that are subjective. The rules themselves try to address this flaw. They say if you're asked to name 5 orange foods, but only some of your answers fall into that category, but others are food that have orange in them, as long as you can explain this within the 30-second time limit, you're fine. I'm sorry, but I can easily picture this kind of game mechanics leading to a brawl with some groups.

5) It's a copycat of the 5 Second Rule game, or vice-versa.Patch 5 Second Rule Just Spit It Out

In all, I do like this game, and I would recommend it for Family Game Night.

5 Second Rule - Just Spit it Out!
5 Second Rule - Just Spit it Out!
Price: $13.79
137 used & new from $7.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Game Idea - Game Play Has Some Issues, April 24, 2011
I am a party game snob, so I love 'em and I always see the flaws.

LET START WITH THE THINGS I DO LIKE ABOUT THIS GAME:

* The rules are simple.

* The game play is snappy and gets your heart rate up.

* There are a decent number of questions (578)

* Many of the cards are genuinely funny and challenging. For example, name 3 things you shouldn't do at a funeral, or name 3 prime numbers.

THESE ARE THE THINGS I'M NOT SO CRAZY ABOUT:

* Too many of the cards are boring, like name 3 kitchen appliances. The only thing that makes this a challenge is you have 5 seconds, but that's not good enough.

* The really cool timer broke after two uses.

* Here is the biggest problem I have. Whether an answer is acceptable is subjective. I cringe when I see this feature in a game because it invariably leads to arguing, and here, time spent looking things up. I firmly believe the golden rule of party games is to avoid subjectivity.

These examples illustrate the subjectivity problem.

* The card asks you to name 3 "All-Inclusive Resorts." First, I'm not sure what that even means. Second, who's to say? According to the game rules, the group decides.

* A more "objective" cards asks you to name 3 of the 13 original colonies. At least those are answers that objectively exist and won't lead to fighting.

Overall, I think this is a fun game with a few flaws. I have the very same comments about the game "Name 5" which is basically the same game as "5 Second Rule" but without the 5-second snazzy timer. Name 5 Game
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 3:37 PM PST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, December 21, 2006
Cranium has all the hype, but it's a little too lowest-common-denominator for my crowd. I recommend games like Rigamarole and Why Did The Chicken for a more unique experience.