Profile for Nick Chabrier > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nick Chabrier RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Linksys N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE3000W-FFP)
Linksys N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE3000W-FFP)
Price: $47.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away: Long setup times went out with 1989., September 13, 2014
I will never buy something from Linksys again. Terrible service, terribly frustrating to even attempt to install and ridiculous requirements to do so.

I bought another unit and it was up and going in 5 minutes. Let me give you an example of how this worked:

Linksys steps:

1) Instructions include software that has to be installed from a computer. I used the CD on my PC but then it says you have to have a wireless connection with the PC to make it work.

2) Switched to my iMac and tried with the wireless. Couldn't find the extender. Okay. Manual installation it is.

3) Turned on my Mac Book Pro. Plugged it directly into the unit and gave it a try. I was able to connect to the device. It crashed 4 times and I had to factory reset but I finally got it to TRY to connect to my wireless. Crashed when it was supposed to be rebooting. Maybe it hates Macs.

4) I tried it on a PC with Windows 7. Same BS. The unit would simply NOT work. Support time.

5) Contacted support. Their chat crashed 2 times. I decided that it was too much trouble and if it ever did connect, heaven help me if I could get it RE connected if there was a problem.

Amped Unit:

1) Took back the Linksys and bought an Amped after finding some good reviews.

2) Instructions state: plug it in where you want it. Use your Tablet or Wireless Laptop to connect to it with a URL.

3) I connected with my iPad, had it scan for my wireless router. It found it and after I put in my password, I had to wait for a 140 second countdown.

4) Countdown ended and I had a connection. Everything worked fine.

To Linksys: your garbage is overly complicated and totally unnecessary.

To Amped: Great product and thank you for having it.

Stay away from Linksys people. It's just not worth your frustration.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2015 4:37 PM PDT

Nourished By That Which Consumes
Nourished By That Which Consumes
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, interesting read, June 20, 2014
I don't normally try books without at least a recommendation. This one was sent my way by a friend on Twitter. The writing feels a little edgy, a little rough and that contributes to the overall aesthetic of the character and book. It's short enough to plow through in a single setting and I would recommend giving it a try.

Dry Spells and Divinity
Dry Spells and Divinity

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern, Fun and Engrossing, November 13, 2013
Fantastic book. I love the style and the modernisms. Use of Twitter was great for developing character without cutting into the story and the band members were amazing, lifelike characters even without having a lot in the way of 'screen time'.

I highly recommend this book!!

Reactivated (Killer Contingency Book 1)
Reactivated (Killer Contingency Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, short piece about lost emotion and hope, January 27, 2013
Assassin stories are tough. One way or another, the killer can be too monstrous or too soft. I've watched dozens of these types of movies and only read a few. This is the first time that I've found a character in literature that makes good sense. And with such a short period of time to spend with the characters, I definitely feel that the book captures all the flare it should to get us coming back for more.

I don't want to offer spoilers, especially with such a short novella but I do want to say that Ardan's actions are intriguing. He's the person who knows he has a problem and sets out to fix it. It gives him depth and sets him up with some of his peers in the assassin genre. He senses redemption even while not knowing precisely how he's going to get there.

Another reviewer stated that the descriptions weren't rich enough. I disagree. I want to visualize my OWN person and only need a vague description. Too much and I feel that the descriptions bog down the story. I think giving me some basic details and letting me decide how someone looks from personality is great and I liked that about this book.

The violence wasn't over the top (which it could've been) and I felt the action scenes were well thought out. The sex was...well, I'm not normally into that type of erotica but it seemed well done.

All in all, I recommend this book. It's definitely worth reading and I'll be looking for the next one.

Jack Reacher (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
Jack Reacher (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $19.25
53 used & new from $4.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Credible, Fun, Harsh and Entertaining, January 11, 2013
I've read some of Lee Childs work. A movie based on his writing should turn out exactly like this movie did. It was smart, fun and Jack didn't take any crap from people. My expectations were exceeded specifically because Tom Cruise managed to play the character so closely to what I read in the book. Couple that with the fact that the investigation was decent and the villains sufficiently dangerous made this a good time for anyone who likes these crime drama stories.

The fault of this falls more with the source material than the film itself. Childs is the master of coincidence and it got pretty old in the books for me. His villains lack any real motivation beyond money and in some cases, their ability to start rolling in the dough is in question too. If I was to give this any sort of harsh criticism, it would be in the story itself. Starting the story off the way they do, for example, is pretty rushed and unnecessary. A civilian can come up with better ways to accomplish what these maniacs did. It was catalyst for the sake of getting the characters involved.

None of that matters when it comes to the performances and the action in this movie. They allow it to be brutal and they let the character be true to himself. Cruise snaps off his lines nicely and he's got the shape to pull this off. The number 1 complaint that I hear people make about this choice was less that Cruise might not be able to do it but that he doesn't fit the character's description. Let me tell you, it might be a fun fantasy to imagine this 6'5 monster roaming the country incognito but he stands out way too much. At least with Cruise, I can believe he's able to blend in and disappear.

Give this movie a chance. It's not rocket science, it's another crime drama but it's a good one and I think that if you don't cling to a ton of preconceived notions, you'll have a lot of fun.

Dune: The Butlerian Jihad (Dune Universe Book 1)
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad (Dune Universe Book 1)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Horrible Kindle Edition, October 15, 2010
I enjoyed the book a lot. I've read some of the other reviews and I can't agree with their appraisal of the writing or story. I was a fan before reading this book and I'm still just as much of a fan.

However, my review really should focus on the Kindle version of this. To put it simply, it's horrible. I've read quite a few books now that were done by major publishers that didn't have any errors. This had TONS. There were random hyphenations, strange italics, odd characters appearing in places and dozens of other little issues.

For the price that we're paying for this and the fact that it's such a large publishing house putting it out, we should not see so many flaws.

The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein: A Novel
The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein: A Novel
by Peter Ackroyd
136 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Just... why?, March 19, 2010
The original Frankenstein, as many have stated, tells a glorious story. It only stands to reason that people would want to recapture the magical feeling they felt when they first read the book and so we look to new novels that cover the same material. Unfortunately, these are often tales that expand upon unimportant points to the -meat- of the original, whether they focus overlong on the science of creating the monster or try to find some other angle to tackle in the spread of prose.

This book in particular is flawed in several ways. There are inconsistencies in the book, a good example being when the main character early in the book utters some lines of poetry from Lord Byron but later, when he meets him, he confesses to not be familiar with any of his verses. Other issues of historical note don't matter as much since the fictional character throws off the balance but it was still a sticking point.

There were a few times that I felt compelled to put the book down and give up on it but I persevered. The ending left me listless and uninspired. The only passion I felt was the passion to write this review. The book is passable, written compellingly enough but for my time and money, I think I would've rather tried something different.

Star Trek Online - PC
Star Trek Online - PC
Offered by lclockworkl
Price: $9.49
28 used & new from $2.96

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst grind for 50 bucks, February 2, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Trek Online - PC (Video Game)
If you love to grind in MMOs, then this is the game for you.

After playing MMOs as far back as the original Neverwinter Nights back in the Gold Box era all the way through Ultima Online, EQ, DAOC, EQ 2, Earth & Beyond, Asheron's Call, WoW, LOTRO, WAR and now STO, I can say that this one feels most like Lineage of any. After the 10th mission that is -exactly the same- perhaps you'll see what I mean. There's nothing really compelling about it. Most of the battles (at launch) are in space so the avatar stuff takes a back seat. When you do get to the surface, it's jerky, even on a high end system.

They should have allowed you to play a Klingon right off the bat and had at least two factions with decent starting areas. As it stands, there's no reason to make another federation character. The starting zone and tutorial is exactly the same. Make another character and enjoy another full round of grinding your butt off. And since combat essentially entails turning toward the enemy, firing torpedoes, firing phasers, rinse, repeat, it's not like this grinding is -exciting- by any stretch of the imagination. I get more variety of clicking out of Spider Solitaire.

Get this: these folks made Champions Online and City of Heroes/Villains. And yet the costume choices in Star Trek are limited and pathetic. There's NO excuse. Maybe they should've let people play neutral characters so they didn't have to stick to military attire. In any event, the lack of people looking all that much different is further focus on the fact that this game is just not that inspired.

I played the Head Start and the first day of release and I already regret paying for it. If the retailer I did my pre-order from would offer a refund, I would immediately accept it and boycott this company from now on.

If you are interested in grinding and having a drab experience in uninspired zones with poor quest design, by all means, buy this game. But as it will likely not be out for more than a year at this rate, I would recommend you steer clear and keep playing solitaire. At least there's some diversity in the cards.

Operation: Mindcrime II
Operation: Mindcrime II
Price: $19.32
65 used & new from $0.98

2.0 out of 5 stars If another band did this..., April 4, 2006
This review is from: Operation: Mindcrime II (Audio CD)
If someone else had put this CD out that you had never heard of, you'd think 'Damn, that's pretty cool'. But placed back to back with a Queensryche release from beginning through Empire, this CD is lack luster.

There's nothing memorable. The beginning just happens. The ending is a bizarre ballad that leaves one with their head tilted going 'what happened?' As a close to the excitement and youth filled energy of Operation Mindcrime 1, I cannot give this one much praise.

To be sure, there are some songs on here that were not unpleasant to listen to. However, after five times through I can't really pick out a song as I could with Operation Mindcrime 1. As with most strokes of genius, I think that they had theirs and following it up with this seems a bit irresponsible and perhaps a desperate attempt to get fans to buy a CD that they otherwise might've just said 'Oh, another Queensryche CD. Neat.'.

I hope that it works for other people however, I would not recommend this to a fan of Queensryche's earlier work. The bottom line is simple: Operation Mindcrime 1 was a timeless masterpiece that I have never stopped listening to over the years. This product simply is not.

Fallen
Fallen
Price: $7.85
280 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best band I've heard in the last 5 years, March 10, 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Evanescence snagged me with 'Bring me to life' because unlike the other tripe on the radio, this was really good. If you liked Switchblade Symphony, I think this is where they would be if they hadn't broken up. The compositions are just awesome and, also somewhat unique is the fact that every song on the CD is great. There's no filler here. If you don't already have it, you have to pick it up. You won't regret it.