Profile for Mel T. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mel T. RSS Feed (Delaware)

Rock Of Ages: Original Broadway Cast Recording
Rock Of Ages: Original Broadway Cast Recording
Price: $15.99
52 used & new from $6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK on!, July 31, 2009
This album took me back in time to big hair, leg warmers, and fluorescent colors. The songs are some of my favorite 80's hits and I like the remix that the soundtrack has from the Broadway show. My kids thought I lost it a little more as I turned the volume up loud and rocked the day away. I was thrilled that I was able to share some classic rock with them. If you are looking for a CD with some of your favorite 80 hits then you definitely want to check out Rock of Ages.

The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel
The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel
by Heather Doran Barbieri
148 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Summer Read, June 29, 2009
I received the book, The Lace Makers of Glenmara, as part of a blog tour and saved it to enjoy while on summer vacation. I couldn't wait to read it because it sounded like a perfect summer read and I was not disappointed in the least.

The story is set in Ireland, the place where Kate flees to hoping to escape from her old life, reinventing herself in her ancestral homeland. As she travels across the land she ends up in the seaside village of Glenmara where she meets the women of a local lace-making society.

The lace makers are a diverse group from Bernie the lonely widow, Aileen with her low self-esteem and identity crisis, Moira an abused housewife, Oona a breast cancer survivor, and Colleen a fisherman's wife and leader of the group. The lace makers are finding that their craft is becoming obsolete as people are not purchasing the items they are designing anymore. Kate soon joins the group and finding inspiration through the women convinces them to use their lace making skills to create exquisit lingerie. They then use their talent to create lingerie with beautiful flowers, fish, fairies, and even skulls and bones.

Of course while they are busy creating their beautiful handiwork, friendships are evolving. The lacemakers are faced with many challenges including a priest who thinks their work is evil, broken relationships between spouses and children, sickness, and even death. However, with the strength they receive from each other, they each face their long-denied desires and fears and overcome them together. Of course the bad is also countered with the good as new love unfolds, relationships are mended, and new friendships grow.

Once I started the book I couldn't put it down. I was intrigued by each of the women and their story. They each added something unique to the group and the way Ms. Barbieri weaved the characters lives together was beautifully done. I often felt that I was sitting in the countryside peeking into the windows of their lives. The story flowed with ease and was filled with emotion as I related to what the women must be feeling individually and towards each other.

May every woman be blessed to be in a circle of friends like The Lace Makers of Glenmara.