Profile for Nicholas Winn > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2032

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicholas Winn "E-Bike Enthusiast" RSS Feed (CA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
New Balance Men's MO790V2 Multi Sport Mid Cut Shoe
New Balance Men's MO790V2 Multi Sport Mid Cut Shoe
Price: $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Light, March 15, 2015
These shoes are amazingly lite. I can hardly believe that they are a mid cut boot.
I compared them to my New Balance Sneaker and they were way lighter. My son said they
were lighter then his shoes [He's 11 Years Old]

Over the years I've learned with products that you can get around the negatives sometimes.

I found them to be without arch support like many New Balance and added a pair of http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Tri-Comfort-Orthotics-Packages/dp/B001EPQ5TA/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1426477512&sr=1-3&keywords=dr+scholls+3%2F4
Just look up B001EPQ5TA . Now they are perfect for walking.

As for sizing I wear a 10 1/2 New Balance 4E and I found them typical of this size model. They also stretched a little over the first week and loosened up to where they are very comfortable.

For the long term durability, I don't know. But if you are looking for a comfortable, Light, ankle heigh walking boot then you will be very happy with this shoe.

KRUPS KM4688 Moka Brewer Filter Coffee Maker, 10-Cup, Black
KRUPS KM4688 Moka Brewer Filter Coffee Maker, 10-Cup, Black
Price: $149.99
31 used & new from $93.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Moka Coffee Maker, February 26, 2015
Update- Next Day
This morning the additional timer worked like a charm and my coffee was waiting for me at 7:00am.
Very good coffee. I found the trick is to use way less coffee then you'd normally use. The pressure extraction leaches every
last bit of flavor from the beans.

I used a 2 2 Tablespoon Scoops slightly heaping and filled with 16 ounces of coffee and it came out perfect!

When finished brewing the left over coffee grounds are hard and dry. Absolutely the minimum of moisture is left in the coffee grounds. I've also noticed that
near the end of the brewing process the liquid coming out is clear. This maker really extracts the complete coffee flavor.

I'm a very happy camper.
______________________________________________________
Just received and ran it through a dry run.
Since there have been some inconsistencies in the reviews, I'm going to clarify a few things.

1. This is definitely a Pressure Brewing System. Not just a drip coffee maker. You can see it forcing the water through the filter during the last 1/4 of the brewing cycle. This is an ingenous take on a traditional Moka style pot .
2. It definitely has a Warmer that stays on for 20 Minutes
3.The approximately 1 1/2 foot cord wraps around the base and can be extended to around 3 feet.

You will not be able to get around the limitation of 20 minutes keep coffee warm.

No it doesn't have a new fangled timer built in, which in my opinion is just something more to break. To get around this I just bought Sunlite 05005-SU T300 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Timer
timed it to go off at 6:50am Mon - Fri. Hey the advantage is that if the timer breaks then I don't have replace the whole maker. This Krups maker uses a rocker switch that will be compatible with any manual or digital timer.

My thoughts:
The Chamber sides etc.. are all Stainless Steel. The only part that is plastic is the brew basket. From a health standpoint most Moka Pots are aluminum and with this Krups model you avoid health negatives of aluminum. I've been going through a cheapy [ARound $40.00-$50.00] pot at the rate of 2 per year. The seals don't hold up. The Krups is an investment but assuming this model has the same longevity as it's precursor then it will provide many years of service. So over the long run it will save money.

In addition: Compared to the average Electric Moka Pot this has a huge capacity.
I used a 1 liter which measures 4.22 Cups] and it filled it to the 7 cup mark it seemed that to fill to the full it was around 1/3 more so I estimate that this pot will accept around 5 1/2 U.S Cups [8 Ounce Cups] and probably with absorption brew around 5 1/4 U.S Cups or 42 Ounces. In my opinion plenty big for 2 people. But maybe not enough for 3-4 people. I'll be operating it at around 1/2 capacity, I'm just looking for a large mug.
That is way more than any other Moka Pot I've seen, but not as big as the larger american pots.

I just made my first Cups of Coffee. I filled to the 7 Cup mark which as mentioned before is a Liter and then
filled the basket to the top with Fine* Ground Decaf Coffee around 6 scoops. [*Ground at Sprouts on fine setting]

Took around 12 minutes to brew. I lost around 1/4 cup to the grounds. Came out way too strong. It's going to take a few more times to dial this in. I think that if I had filled the water to the top that it would have brewed perfectly.

One other thing, I made the coffee at my office and after done put the brew basket on a desk. The brew basket Burned a circle on to the desk. I looked down and the finish was bubbling up. Luckily it's an old desk and no one will care. But you are warned.! Be careful where you lay the brew basket after brewing your coffee. I was tricked because it looked like you had to remove it, but therir is space to pour while the top is on.

Highly Rated Silicone BBQ Gloves - Perfect For Use As Heat Resistant Cooking Gloves, Grill Gloves, Or Potholder - Directly Manage Hot Food In The Kitchen, Use As Grilling Gloves, Oven Gloves, Or At The Campsite! - Protect Your Hands And Avoid Accidents With Insulated Waterproof Five-Fingered Grip - Far More Shield And Versatility Than Oven Mitts - 1 Pair Number 1 in Service Silicone BBQ Gloves - FREE Premium Hassle-Free Lifetime Guarantee! - Red
Offered by Number 1 In Service
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I use them for my Cast Iron Cookware and they are great. You can stick your hands into boiling water ..., February 26, 2015
I have a medium large hand and found these cramped at first but they stretched out.

I use them for my Cast Iron Cookware and they are great. You can stick your hands into boiling water to clean your pots, no problem.

The insulation is thick enough for even the hottest pots.

Norpro Cast Iron Round Bacon Grill Press
Norpro Cast Iron Round Bacon Grill Press
Offered by RR OneStop
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything but Bacon.!, January 24, 2015
So far I've used it to make excellent Grilled Cheese Sandwiches or if you want to be fancy Panini's on my 12" Cast Iron Lodge Pan.
Made excellent Pork Chops and Deboned Chicken Legs. This is great for cooking meats that need to be well done in the center.

My kids loved the grilled cheese sandwiches and now I have a problem, they are stealing my Cheese and making their own sandwiches.
Sigh.

Maybe tomorrow I'll make bacon.

Salem Rogers: Model of the Year 1998
Salem Rogers: Model of the Year 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashamed to admit that I liked it!, January 22, 2015
I was prepared to hate it.
She's so damned skinny it's repugnant.
But get over that and this is funny stuff.

It has an element that the best comedies have.
A Felix and Oscar. The contrast of the super sane but insane
sidekick is just priceless.

I'm ashamed to admit it but if they make this into a series, I'll end up watching it.

But I doubt Amazon will have the Stones to produce this one.

Mad Dogs [HD]
Mad Dogs [HD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave me Hanging!, January 21, 2015
Cmon you have to make it into a series, you can't leave me
with this cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what will happen.

Well cast.!
Take a walk on the wild side.

So far I've seen all the pilots and
Mad Dogs and Cocked Rule.

Down Dog
Down Dog

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Balance Not For Me., January 20, 2015
This review is from: Down Dog (Amazon Instant Video)
I couldn't relate to the main character.
I probably wouldn't watch this if they made it a series.

What this show lacks is a serious character to balance out the clueless protagonist.

Everyone seemed to have a screw loose with no voice of sanity.
Unbalanced.

The Man in the High Castle
The Man in the High Castle
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I prefer a light comedy like Cocked., January 20, 2015
Same old, Same old.
I'm not in the mood for dramas this season.
I prefer a light comedy like Cocked.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2015 3:05 AM PST

Cocked [HD]
Cocked [HD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Mary Poppins Crowd.!, January 19, 2015
This review is from: Cocked [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
Hope they make it into a series.
Perfectly cast. Light entertainment.

Yes it has nudity, yes it has some offensive parts
guess that's why I liked it so much. Struck my funnybone.

Amazon please choose this one. If viewers want to see Julie Andrews
play Mary Poppins then let them type Christian Morality G Rated Vanilla movies into the
search bar.

Choose this one and give us some variety.

StarMark Everlasting Treat Wheeler Large
StarMark Everlasting Treat Wheeler Large
Price: $19.59
10 used & new from $17.12

5.0 out of 5 stars The Treat Wheeler works better then the Treat Ball., January 3, 2015
Petunia my American Bulldog loves these.

I originally bought the Large Ball one because it was less expensive.
That turned out to be a waste because she got the treats out within 20 minutes.

This wheel is as others have rated. To insert the treat it's so tight that I have to use the curved handle of
a spoon.She gnaws at it and can't get the treat out so it's lasting around 2-3 days.

BTW she got the treat that came with it out in less then 20 minutes, but the replacement treats fit super tight
and the plastic is very thick.

Be sure to try the different flavors, you might be surprised. Mine loves the chicken and surprisingly likes the mint.
She didn't like the smoked one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20