Profile for Smokey Bear > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Smokey Bear RSS Feed (MA USA)

Dexter Season 7
Dexter Season 7
DVD
Price: $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Season 7, July 29, 2013
The Dexter series has run 1 season too long. The writing for Season 7 is pathetic in regards to both plotting and dialogue.

Red Knife: A Cork O'Connor Mystery (Cork O'Connor Mysteries)
Red Knife: A Cork O'Connor Mystery (Cork O'Connor Mysteries)
by William Kent Krueger
49 used & new from $0.87

2.0 out of 5 stars It Disappointed Me, October 26, 2011
I have been reading William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Conner mysteries in chronological order, and this is the first one that has disappointed me. I would rate the previous ones overall at about 4.5 stars. Although I am finishing Red Knife, I find myself being annoyed time and time again by the obvious formulaic structure of the writing. Red Knife appears to be written with a primary purpose of being easily adaptable to the movie screen. It contains 47 chapters that are each so constructed as to be readily converted to a stand alone movie scene. This is not to say that a reasonably entertaining movie could not result---possibly more entertaining than the novel itself. This fault(in my opinion) may also have existed in some of the previous Cork O'Conner mysteries that I have read; although, if it does, it did not annoy me at the time. Think I will take a quick peak inside the next mystery in the series before I decide whether or not to purchase it.

Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
Offered by S&W Group
Price: $69.99
9 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great With Garmin's Upgraded Soft Strap, February 4, 2011
Bought the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor with the hope that it would be more comfortable than the Garmin "Standard" Heart Rate Monitor. I found that it is indeed more comfortable, but have gone back to using the standard monitor.

Used the premium monitor about 4 times per week while walking on my treadmill since December of last year, and it seemed to be operating ok. The heart rate reading it displayed correlated well with that of a finger tip monitor that I also own. During the past week, however, the readings have become very erratic---often showing heart rates >200bpm. I have tried rewetting the electrodes, moving the monitor around on my chest, and changing to shirts that may contain less static electrical charge with no success. Therefore, I have gone back to the standard (buy less comfortable) standard Garmin monitor that is working fine.

I considered returning the monitor to Garmin for repair or exchange, but decided to first check in the Garmin Forums on the Garmin website to see if others were having this problem, and yes indeed people are! Numerous suggestions are made in the forums such as wetting the electrodes with gel instead of water, wearing only cotton shirts, wearing the monitor upside down, and even wearing the monitor on ones back rather than on ones chest. Personally, I refuse to resort to such Mickey Mouse solutions, and will use the standard monitor instead.

Am not sure what I will do about my Premium monitor. I suspect that what we have here is a basic design that is not very robust or reliable, and that my returning the device to Garmin for repair or exchange might not accomplish much other than my paying some shipping charges.

Updated 2/24/11: I contacted Garmin customer service regarding the monitors' erratic operation, and was told that they have an upgraded soft strap that they would send to me free of charge. I received the new strap within about a week, and now the monitor is working perfectly with no more erratic readings. I am very pleased with the response of the Garmin customer representative (whoes initials are J. R.)! I will consider giving the monitor a 5 star rating if it continues to operate well for a few months or so.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2011 7:48 PM PST

Logitech Squeezebox Boom All-in-One Network Music Player / Wi-Fi Internet Radio (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by SpddyS LLC
Price: $564.99
10 used & new from $170.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds My Already High Expectations, November 25, 2009
Received my SqueezeBox Boom this week from Amazon, and within a couple of hours had it playing music being streamed from my two laptops that store my extensive music collection. Also, Pandora is working great. You will find the setup fairly easy if you have had some experience playing with and setting up electronic gadgets. I have only begun to uncover the full capabilities of the device.

To my ears and those of my wife and friends the sound quality of the SqueezeBox Boom is excellent. The IR Remote works fine, but I prefer to control the SqueezeBox Boom with my iPhone using a wonderful iPhone application that I down loaded called iPeng (Make a note of that name if you own an iPhone).

The SqueezeBox Boom appears to be a solid,well constructed device, and has a nice conservative,high quality appearence that one might not normally associate with the word Boom.

Overall, I consider the SqueezeBox Boom to be an excellent value, and already see it becoming the primary in my home music listning device.

The UltraMind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain by Healing Your Body First - The Simple Way to Defeat Depression, Overcome Anxiety, and Sharpen Your Mind
by Mark Hyman M.D.
127 used & new from $0.23

1.0 out of 5 stars My Book Buying Mistake, March 17, 2009
This is the worst book buying mistake I have made in the past few years. If I had taken about 10 minutes to leaf through this book, I never would have bought it. I am not able to evaluate the scientific validity of most of the recommendations provided in the book because no scientific references are provided---almost everything is based on anecdotal evidence.

Even worse, the advice is impractical for most people, examples are: eliminate all dairy products and all gluten containing products from your diet; never eat anything that comes in a package.

To top it all off, I can't imagine anyone ever reading the book in its entirety. It mainly consists of one long sequence of similar lists after the other. It appears that the word processor technique of copy, paste and then modify slightly was used extensively in writing this book which will shortly be recycled into my local landfill.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2012 12:05 PM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised But Is A Garmin Discontinued Product, February 27, 2009
Bought it a few days ago (my fifth Garmin product). I am quite satisfied with the product, and consider it to be an excellent value especially considering the relatively low price. I notice on the Garmin website that Garmin considers the 760 to be a discontinued product, but this was to be expected considering the close-out price. I don't expect that Garmin support will be affected by this.

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
by Eckhart Tolle
Price: $17.25
430 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My First and Only Book Review, August 22, 2000
An eloquent presentation of profound concepts that resonate mightily within me. Things I have known (possibly always) but keep forgetting to remember. This can be a very helpful book.