Profile for J. Ruyle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Ruyle "J. Ruyle" RSS Feed (Atlanta)

The Edge of Never
The Edge of Never

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be missing something..., November 19, 2012
This review is from: The Edge of Never (Kindle Edition)
Apparently I'm the odd man out here. I've read countless reviews about how FANTASTIC this book is (ALL five-star reviews? really?) and I just don't get it. In fact, I almost stopped reading "The Edge of Never" numerous times (it made me that crazy), but thought if I just stuck with it, I would eventually get to the amazing part.

I finished it... but didn't ever get there.

It was like reading three or four different books mashed (unsuccessfully) into one. I found the story disjointed (did we really even need the first four chapters?) and suffering from a genre identity crisis. It was a YA best friend/boyfriend drama that sometimes wanted to be sub/dom erotica and then other times a book about loss/death and family dysfunction. Maybe it just needed a good editor.

If you truly want to read a fantastic book, skip this and try Katja Millay's "The Sea of Tranquility".
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 6:42 PM PST

Shadow Heir (Dark Swan Book 4)
Shadow Heir (Dark Swan Book 4)
Price: $5.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 1, 2012
I have to begin by saying the Dark Swan series has been a favorite since reading the first book "Storm Born". Dorian is probably my favorite male character in a book (love Carter from the Succubus series too), so needless to say I was very excited for this release. I'm a big fan of Mead's writing, have read all of her books to date and recommend her often. I just finished reading "Shadow Heir" and I'm so... disappointed. This book ends like there is another one being written, but from all the information I can find, this is it. Eugenie has got to be one of the least likeable "heroines" (I use that term loosely) out there. As I was coming to the end of the book, I kept checking how many more pages were left because I COULD NOT believe she was about to make the decision she was seeming to make to end the book. If there were another book, this would have been a plausible ending to keep the rocky nature of her relationship with Dorian going, but as the ending to the series?!? Seriously?

***Spoilers***

I suppose my biggest disappointment was not getting to read about Dorian's reaction to finding out he was a parent and getting to meet his children with him. I was so looking forward to those moments (figured there was no way at least one of the babies wasn't his). From the beginning, all he really wanted was a child (one of the reasons he was so likeable). I feel cheated out of those experiences. I know originally the series was supposed to be longer than 4 books and also that Mead was about to give birth herself as she was finishing this book (perhaps she should have waited to write this until AFTER she became a mother so she'd have realized how ridiculous some of Eugenie's decisions were, like NOT going back to her babies the MOMENT she knew they were out of danger, instead, hanging around for weeks to "tidy" things up AND if the babies really needed to be kept hidden, staying in Alabama with them instead of going back to be Dorian's girlfriend). Anyway, maybe those factors played into why we got the ending we did. :/

Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid Book 6)
Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid Book 6)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ending brought tears!!!, August 31, 2011
What a wonderful end to a great series. Ms. Mead is, by far, one of my favorite authors. I'm always so happy when of one her books come out and I can get back to characters I LOVE! Sad this run is over, but was very satisfied with the way things wrapped up. I, like a lot of other readers, would love to see a spin-off series about Roman ... OR Carter, as he is one of my all-time-favorite characters. (Dorian, in Mead's Dark Swan series is pretty great too -- if you haven't checked that one out, you must!) Here's to a job well done!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2011 10:42 AM PDT

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe it's so cheap!, August 15, 2011
This is by far one of the best $2.99 Kindle books (not discounted) I've read... and I've read (or tried to read) a bunch. Definitely had the feel of "Hunger Games" for me. A bit gritty (which I enjoy) and follows characters I care to read about and find believable. I love that the mom is crazy! Definitely looking forward to the next book in this series.

Jellicoe Road
Jellicoe Road
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite author, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Jellicoe Road (Kindle Edition)
I had to add my five stars to the long list of five-starred reviews. It is well deserved. This is the first book I've read by Melina Marchetta... I believe I've found my new favorite author.

The Last Little Blue Envelope
The Last Little Blue Envelope
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!, April 26, 2011
Knocked it out of the park. Great sequel! It's everything I love in this genre. I really hope Maureen Johnson continues this story!

The Anti-Vampire Tale (The Anti-Vampire Tale, Book 1)
The Anti-Vampire Tale (The Anti-Vampire Tale, Book 1)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Could we get a complete sentence please?!, January 14, 2011
I downloaded the sample and was engaged enough after the first couple of chapters I decided to buy this book. I was also encouraged that ALL the reader reviews were 5 stars.

The story was moving along nicely, besides the fact the two main characters (both over the age of 17) fell into the "instant love" that makes me crazy. (Thought I might avoid this with a male author -- guess not.) As I kept reading, I couldn't help noticing the author seemed to have an aversion to using pronouns and complete sentences. Once in a while this is OK and even works well in a story, but half way through the book I found I was mentally having to add the missing words to make it readable. If I had been reading an actual book and not my Kindle, I think I might have thrown it across the room in frustration. I usually don't like to point out the little things that make me crazy about a book, since it may be something that wouldn't bother another reader, but there is no way you can miss this. I'm baffled by all the 5-star ratings. Am I seriously the only one this bothered?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2011 3:34 PM PDT