Profile for James Hiller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 586

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Hiller RSS Feed (Beaverton, OR)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fire Shut Up in My Bones
Fire Shut Up in My Bones
by Charles M. Blow
Price: $17.01
41 used & new from $12.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Charles M. Blow has written a memoir that is both frank and fresh, real and incredibly painful at times to read. As Blow recounts his childhood in the South, he recounts how he and his family navigates the complex racial mores of the times in chilling and honest ways. As I read books such as this, I find myself reflecting on how I would attempt to handle such situations, and fear that I would not be successful. Blow didn't have a choice in the matter; survive or die. What is most compelling about this book was his writing, described by others as lyrical, which is apt. He doesn't overburden his text with extra words, and doesn't shy away from anything either. Definitely recommend this book, especially for those interested in real African-American experiences in our country.

The Teacher Wars: A History of America's Most Embattled Profession
The Teacher Wars: A History of America's Most Embattled Profession
by Dana Goldstein
Price: $17.04
56 used & new from $12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars and I thought that I wasn't going to like it. But then, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At first, this book didn't grab my attention. The first chapter was a bit of slog through, and I thought that I wasn't going to like it. But then, Goldstein hits her stride, and knocks the book out of the park with her chapter on black teachers after the Civil War. I began to appreciate this book as an parallel somewhat to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States", only with an educational focus. Goldstein is again less successful as she wanders through the unionization movement, but still provides an interesting story. One thing is clear after reading this book, education has always been somewhat of a societal punching bag, and that will only continue as we venture on into the future.

The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
by Michael Fullan
Price: $20.17
47 used & new from $14.34

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic New Look at Principalship, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a person in a grad school program to become an educational administer, I have to say that this book is not only full of good, practical advice, but has been one of the best books I've read about the job to date. By giving three tasks that principals need to follow: leading learning at the building level, becoming a district and system player, and being a change agent. It is not only informative, but personally inspirational. After reading this book, one believes that despite the complexities and hardships of the job, one can and should do it. Highly recommended!

Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach
Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach
by Megan Scribner
Price: $15.13
57 used & new from $9.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems to Focus and Inspire, July 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is another delightful collection of poems that will speak to anyone who is in education. Carefully selected, they come with personal explanations to their meaning, although they do speak well for themselves. As a mentor for new teachers, I often share a poem at an appropriate time with my teachers, and they've come to appreciate them. I cannot wait to share these!

The Rise & Fall of Great Powers: A Novel
The Rise & Fall of Great Powers: A Novel
by Tom Rachman
Price: $17.08
88 used & new from $7.66

4.0 out of 5 stars At first, a bit confusing, but then..., July 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
... the story comes together in a fluid, heartbreaking sort of way that made the reading journey there all the worthwhile. After previously reviewing the fantastic book by Mr. Rachman, "The Imperfectionists", I was excited to read his newest creation. Fortunately, he does not disappoint in the slightest.

This is a complex and involved story of a girl named Tooly, and the three important times in her life, and how they've come to affect each other in ways that unfold slowly over the novel. At first, you are unplaced in each story, the only connective tissue between them is the girl, but then, Rachman, a master of his content, unspools each tale and starts to fill in gaps, answering questions posed in one time frame, only to ask more questions in another. All is resolved, and the journey is worthwhile.

A note about Rachman's writing style: it is profound and wonderful. He manages to make the most mundane occurances rapt with interest, purely based on the words he chooses to use in insightful ways. Another author he reminds me of, who also masters words well, is Michael Cunningham, but their storytelling is definitely NOT similar. I appreciated Rachman's handling of all of the characters, even the less than admirable ones, making them pulse with a reality, warts and all.

The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee
The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee
by Marja Mills
Price: $16.45
98 used & new from $10.74

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like meeting her..., May 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
.... without ever having the chance to actually do it. When Nelle Harper Lee published "To Kill a Mockingbird", little did she know the impact this shattering novel would have on the literary world, and our world at large. She felt the aftershocks for years, no, decades to come. Because of this, Nelle's private life, and the private life of her family and friends, came under scrutiny, as well as people taking advantage of her notoriety for personal gain. These experiences raised Nelle's guard, and getting to know the woman who crafted one of the best books written became a challenge. Marja Mills' book, "The Mockingbird Next Door" is probably the closest readers around the country who love Mockingbird will ever get to this illusive author, and it is well worth a visit.

A Chicago reporter, Mills gets assigned to cover Lee after Chicago picks "Mockingbird" as their book for everyone to read. Flying down to Alabama, she spends some time in Monroeville, where Lee lives, and dares to knock on the front door of the house she occasionally shared with her sister Alice. Surprisingly, Alice answers the door and invites her in. After impressing Alice, she meets Nelle, who normally distrusts reporters, and a lifelong friendship is born.

I'm sure once this book is published for the public, all of the revelations contained within will be made public. Mills manages to get some inside intel to Nelle's impressions of Truman Capote, which are indeed interesting.Mills also offers insights into Nelle herself, and reveals some information that on the surface may seem unflattering to Lee herself.

However, this book is more than a few bits of juicy information. Mills spends much time painting pictures of southern Alabama in this book. She painstakingly recreates Monroeville, and the many different establishments that she attends with Nelle. The descriptions of the inside of the Lee household are rich and real, as are her recollections of the Alabama roads and countryside. It's through these stories that you feel like you get to know Nelle, not as a world-famous author, but as a person, a real person, warts and all. Mills sometimes recounts meetings over coffee that don't seem to add up to much, but after finishing the book, you realize she is adding it all up to a beautiful mosiac of the Lees, the families, and Alabama.

i devoured this book. These real people were painted in such ways that they felt real. As Mills decides to move down to Alabama to live next door to these women, their closeness and intimacy is evident. An ardent fan of the book herself, Mills bounces between the books, the movies, and the people she encounters with grace and ease. If you are a fan of the novel, of the movie, or just want to read an engrossing book about a literary icon who is all-too-real, this book is for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2014 6:22 PM PDT

The Snow Queen: A Novel
The Snow Queen: A Novel
by Michael Cunningham
Price: $16.45
100 used & new from $9.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Why You Read Cunningham, May 18, 2014
After reading all of Michael Cunningham's books, starting with the miraculous "The Hours" to today, one thing is very clear. He loves commas. Commas, commas, commas, extending his sentences, so that one sentence can spin, and re-spin, in several different directions, sometimes individually, sometimes all at once, and then, so adroitly, coming back to the point of origin, and somehow, being the same and slightly different than when you first started reading these comma-laden sentences.

Surely, I jest. I am a Michael Cunningham fan. I have come to realize, after devouring his latest work "The Snow Queen", that I read him, not for incredibly compelling storytelling, but for his prose. He commands the language with an ease and deft that makes reading him, and his complex sentences, seem like little reading journeys. He paints New York City unlike any other author I can think of, making the city alive and recent. His gift in the technical skill of writing is not matched by his storytelling abilities.

The Snow Queen is about two brothers. Barrett, a gay sales clerk, sees a vision in Central Park one evening that seems to challenge his understandings about life. Tyler, a rock star wannabe, struggles with the current political scene and the health of his girlfriend Beth, who is fighting cancer. Cunningham, thankfully and successfully, manages to constrain the story to these two, and a few people in their immediate orbit. However, in the course of the story, where things happen to the characters, you are left wondering, by the end of the story, what this was truly all about.

For one thing, I didn't buy Tyler's political rantings through the book. They seemed incredibly misplaced and took me out of the story, or at least his character. The story begins in 2004, so we are treated to some diatribes on the presidency of George W. Bush, which at the time would be welcome but now seem too much like yesterday. I wished they were less prominent somehow.

Another demon that Cunningham seems to place in many of his books is the dramatic tension between gay men longing for straight men, and the thin line that sometimes happens between them. That device, or plot line, seems a bit tired now. It shows unrequited longing, sure, but haven't we been there with him before?

Still, despite the weakness in the plot (no spoilers here), there were at least a couple of parts of the book that were incredibly moving to me. Perhaps of all the characters, Beth is the most real and realized. Her struggle with cancer is real, and perhaps, harkens back to the book that I love so, "The Hours".

And perhaps, that is the source of the vision of light in Central Park that Barrett sees at the beginning of the story. The haunting, spectral brilliance of this novel that set us all on fire, and how it is dimmed now, and we spend years afterwards trying to find the beauty once again. Only we can never find it again, can we? Or perhaps, Cunningham should try to search for a new light. I, for one, will go along.

We Were Liars
We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart
Price: $11.06
94 used & new from $7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The illusive truth, May 15, 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My first question upon selecting this book to read was, "How can I possibly invest in a story that is told by a confessed liar?". And to be honest, that concept prevented me from fully investing in the story to begin with. I read the first page, on several different occasions, not believing anything that was being said, and therefore, provided a sandy foundation from which to begin. However, I hung on, and was richly and amply rewarded. We Were Liars is a ride, and well worth the time.

Cady is the "liar" narrator, a girl who sets out to tell the story of her family, and in the end, discovers much about herself. Her family, the Sinclairs, are rich and own several houses on a small island near Martha's Vineyard. Cady's mother and two sisters grow up with their parents with much privilege and wealth. At first this fact was off-putting; I tend not to care for characters like these in stories. But as E. Lockhart peels away the layers of the family, and the events that rock their world, there is so much more here, and waiting around is worth it.

Part of it comes from the introduction of Gat. Cady grows up with her cousins, and Gat becomes an "adopted" cousin, so to speak, when he visits the island as a guest and returns each summer. Of Indian heritage, Gat challenges many members of the family who welcome him and his father with a smile, and prejudicial attitudes and actions behind the scenes. Gat is one of the books most compelling characters, with whom Cady falls deeply in love, but since we are seeing him through her eyes, and she is a Liar, is his characterization even real?

Lockhart doesn't pull any punches or play radical tricks on you. You eventually learn, about 5/6 of the way through the novel, what is real and what happens. Parts of it I was able to predict, and much of it I wasn't, but the reveal is real and packs a wallop. This could have been a shallow book or a gimmick, but Lockhart manages to infuse much depth into this story.

I don't tend to read a lot of YA novels, but I'm glad that I read this one. This trippy story is definitely worth your time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2014 2:56 PM PDT

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
by Anthony Doerr
Price: $16.20
82 used & new from $15.34

5.0 out of 5 stars We can see so much more, May 15, 2014
.... now that we can read this breath-taking stunner of a novel. Anthony's Doerr has simply crafted a masterpiece of a novel. Let me explain why.

Marie-Laure is a blind French girl with a wise father who works as a locksmith for a Parisian museum. Werner is a runt of a boy with a gift for the magic of radios. World War II rages around them, as these two souls navigate the political and social worlds that threaten them on a daily basis. Together, they form the compelling core of the novel that is both brilliantly written and a true page turner.

All the Light is a book that marvels in its brevity and clarity. Doerr has crafted chapters, some that are merely a page or two long, which inspires the read to read quickly. But his prose, so perfectly crafted, begs for the read to slow down, to absorb it and revel in the language. So many times I had to catch myself and tell myself to slow down. I wanted the story to spin quickly, to find out about both characters, and sometimes, missing some words and missing the beauty of his writing.

Another revelatory feature is the structure of the writing, the time jumping grouping of chapters that at first was a bit frustrating, but soon I adjusted to it. Doerr does this intentionally to draw you into the story more completely, while doling out the information on an as needed basis as the story unfolds.

I want to comment more on the specifics of the story, but won't, for fear of spoiling something important to this wonderful puzzle of a novel. Rest assured, like Captain Nemo prowling the depths of the ocean, you will discover much secret treasures in this story, if you on'y give yourself a chance. When I finished the last page, I knew I had read something special. You will too.

Forcing the Spring: Inside the Fight for Marriage Equality
Forcing the Spring: Inside the Fight for Marriage Equality
by Jo Becker
Price: $21.43
109 used & new from $1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Controversy aside..., May 4, 2014
... Jo Becker's book about California's Prop 8 marriage case isn't as frightening nor scary as some would want you to believe, nor is it completely without fault.

It successfully conveys the story behind the scenes of the case in a compelling, page-by-page point of view that is insightful and interesting. Becker makes some great decisions about who to focus on, and in what context. The four plantiffs of the story, Kris and Sandy, Jeff and Paul, are featured honestly and prominently through the book, and I felt like I had gotten to know them by its conclusion. David Boies and Theodore Olson are the book's rock stars, and their intellect, oddities, and sincerity shines through. The revelations about Judge Walker and Charles Cooper are also heartfelt and almost representative of the story at large.

The fault of the book occurs in two manners. First, Becker's focus on original AFER leader and current Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin is really too much. A prime player in this drama, he still manages to maintain a much too prominent part of this story throughout the book. In his defense, he has written a thoughtful response to the criticism of the book since its publication. However, I wished his part were lesser. Also, Becker does a less than successful job managing the handsful of people associated with the case. More than once I was reading a name, and couldn't remember the context of that person.

I know much ballyhoo has been issued about this book, and some of it is probably warranted. At the end of the day, Becker did not set out to write the definitive book about the gay marriage movement in America. She merely wanted to spin the story of two couples in love, one conservative legal icon who fought for them, and the court system in America to paved the way to their marriage. And in that respect, Forcing the Spring succeeds admirably.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2014 7:24 AM PDT