Profile for James Hiller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 590

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Hiller RSS Feed (Beaverton, OR)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Belkin Sport-Fit Plus Armband for iPhone 6 (Blacktop / Overcast)
Belkin Sport-Fit Plus Armband for iPhone 6 (Blacktop / Overcast)
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It worked., December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought it's predecessor for my iPhone Five and enjoyed it, so I was excited to see that they had a larger version for my 6.

I've only worn this once on my run Sunday, and for some reason, I had to fiddle with trying to insert my phone into the band, as well as the strap. It took me a little longer that normal. I also had some issues with the plastic sleeve covering the screen and not being able to easily access the apps I needed for running. Perhaps this was designed for both sizes of iPhones, and since I have the smaller one, the fit wasn't right.

It still worked, just not as good as my other one, hence the three stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2014 10:13 PM PST

Chamois Butt'r GoStik Skin Lubricant, 2.5-Ounce
Chamois Butt'r GoStik Skin Lubricant, 2.5-Ounce
Offered by excelcycle
Price: $12.20
21 used & new from $8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanna be like Paulie Bleeker, December 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first time I ever saw a product like this was in the movie "Juno". Paulie put something on his legs that looked like deodorant. What it turned out to be was something similar to this product. When it popped up in my Vine account, I was excited to try it.

So on the last few runs, I liberally applied this product to the sides of my legs. My running shorts tend to "ride up with wear" (yes, that's an 'Are You Being Served' references for us fans out there!) and I'm always yanking them down. However, on my last set of runs, that wasn't an issue after using this product. It is odorless and easy to use.

Consider me a fan of this too.

DII Home Essentials 100% Polyester, Machine Washable, Shabby Chic, Vintage Tablecloth or Overlay  Vintage Lace 63" Round"
DII Home Essentials 100% Polyester, Machine Washable, Shabby Chic, Vintage Tablecloth or Overlay Vintage Lace 63" Round"
Price: $9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars What a piece of .... of .... well, read the review., November 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So, when I put this "shabby chic" tablecloth on our conference table at work, the first question I got was, "When did you go shopping at Dollar Tree?" The comments quickly devolved from there. This product is so cheap and awful looking, that I would have felt ripped off if I bought it at Dollar Tree. The only, and I mean the only, possible use for this tablecloth is for a junior high school production of "Hello Dolly" and you wanted the mere appearance of something nice.

Buyer beware: you get what you pay for.

Spot it! Disney Frozen - Alphabet
Spot it! Disney Frozen - Alphabet
Price: $11.48
64 used & new from $6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Frozen fun!, November 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a fun and engaging game for the little ones! The Frozen theme will be guaranteed to be an immediate hit. A great way to learn and practice letters.

Fire Shut Up in My Bones
Fire Shut Up in My Bones
by Charles M. Blow
Price: $18.30
66 used & new from $13.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Charles M. Blow has written a memoir that is both frank and fresh, real and incredibly painful at times to read. As Blow recounts his childhood in the South, he recounts how he and his family navigates the complex racial mores of the times in chilling and honest ways. As I read books such as this, I find myself reflecting on how I would attempt to handle such situations, and fear that I would not be successful. Blow didn't have a choice in the matter; survive or die. What is most compelling about this book was his writing, described by others as lyrical, which is apt. He doesn't overburden his text with extra words, and doesn't shy away from anything either. Definitely recommend this book, especially for those interested in real African-American experiences in our country.

The Teacher Wars: A History of America's Most Embattled Profession
The Teacher Wars: A History of America's Most Embattled Profession
by Dana Goldstein
Price: $17.54
61 used & new from $13.39

4.0 out of 5 stars and I thought that I wasn't going to like it. But then, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At first, this book didn't grab my attention. The first chapter was a bit of slog through, and I thought that I wasn't going to like it. But then, Goldstein hits her stride, and knocks the book out of the park with her chapter on black teachers after the Civil War. I began to appreciate this book as an parallel somewhat to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States", only with an educational focus. Goldstein is again less successful as she wanders through the unionization movement, but still provides an interesting story. One thing is clear after reading this book, education has always been somewhat of a societal punching bag, and that will only continue as we venture on into the future.

The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
by Michael Fullan
Price: $20.17
57 used & new from $14.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic New Look at Principalship, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a person in a grad school program to become an educational administer, I have to say that this book is not only full of good, practical advice, but has been one of the best books I've read about the job to date. By giving three tasks that principals need to follow: leading learning at the building level, becoming a district and system player, and being a change agent. It is not only informative, but personally inspirational. After reading this book, one believes that despite the complexities and hardships of the job, one can and should do it. Highly recommended!

Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach
Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach
by Megan Scribner
Price: $15.11
50 used & new from $10.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems to Focus and Inspire, July 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is another delightful collection of poems that will speak to anyone who is in education. Carefully selected, they come with personal explanations to their meaning, although they do speak well for themselves. As a mentor for new teachers, I often share a poem at an appropriate time with my teachers, and they've come to appreciate them. I cannot wait to share these!

The Rise & Fall of Great Powers: A Novel
The Rise & Fall of Great Powers: A Novel
by Tom Rachman
Price: $19.57
97 used & new from $8.28

4.0 out of 5 stars At first, a bit confusing, but then..., July 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
... the story comes together in a fluid, heartbreaking sort of way that made the reading journey there all the worthwhile. After previously reviewing the fantastic book by Mr. Rachman, "The Imperfectionists", I was excited to read his newest creation. Fortunately, he does not disappoint in the slightest.

This is a complex and involved story of a girl named Tooly, and the three important times in her life, and how they've come to affect each other in ways that unfold slowly over the novel. At first, you are unplaced in each story, the only connective tissue between them is the girl, but then, Rachman, a master of his content, unspools each tale and starts to fill in gaps, answering questions posed in one time frame, only to ask more questions in another. All is resolved, and the journey is worthwhile.

A note about Rachman's writing style: it is profound and wonderful. He manages to make the most mundane occurances rapt with interest, purely based on the words he chooses to use in insightful ways. Another author he reminds me of, who also masters words well, is Michael Cunningham, but their storytelling is definitely NOT similar. I appreciated Rachman's handling of all of the characters, even the less than admirable ones, making them pulse with a reality, warts and all.

The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee
The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee
by Marja Mills
Price: $17.71
106 used & new from $5.76

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like meeting her..., May 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
.... without ever having the chance to actually do it. When Nelle Harper Lee published "To Kill a Mockingbird", little did she know the impact this shattering novel would have on the literary world, and our world at large. She felt the aftershocks for years, no, decades to come. Because of this, Nelle's private life, and the private life of her family and friends, came under scrutiny, as well as people taking advantage of her notoriety for personal gain. These experiences raised Nelle's guard, and getting to know the woman who crafted one of the best books written became a challenge. Marja Mills' book, "The Mockingbird Next Door" is probably the closest readers around the country who love Mockingbird will ever get to this illusive author, and it is well worth a visit.

A Chicago reporter, Mills gets assigned to cover Lee after Chicago picks "Mockingbird" as their book for everyone to read. Flying down to Alabama, she spends some time in Monroeville, where Lee lives, and dares to knock on the front door of the house she occasionally shared with her sister Alice. Surprisingly, Alice answers the door and invites her in. After impressing Alice, she meets Nelle, who normally distrusts reporters, and a lifelong friendship is born.

I'm sure once this book is published for the public, all of the revelations contained within will be made public. Mills manages to get some inside intel to Nelle's impressions of Truman Capote, which are indeed interesting.Mills also offers insights into Nelle herself, and reveals some information that on the surface may seem unflattering to Lee herself.

However, this book is more than a few bits of juicy information. Mills spends much time painting pictures of southern Alabama in this book. She painstakingly recreates Monroeville, and the many different establishments that she attends with Nelle. The descriptions of the inside of the Lee household are rich and real, as are her recollections of the Alabama roads and countryside. It's through these stories that you feel like you get to know Nelle, not as a world-famous author, but as a person, a real person, warts and all. Mills sometimes recounts meetings over coffee that don't seem to add up to much, but after finishing the book, you realize she is adding it all up to a beautiful mosiac of the Lees, the families, and Alabama.

i devoured this book. These real people were painted in such ways that they felt real. As Mills decides to move down to Alabama to live next door to these women, their closeness and intimacy is evident. An ardent fan of the book herself, Mills bounces between the books, the movies, and the people she encounters with grace and ease. If you are a fan of the novel, of the movie, or just want to read an engrossing book about a literary icon who is all-too-real, this book is for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2014 6:22 PM PDT