Profile for Jeremiah Edwards > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeremiah Edwards RSS Feed (State College, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Panasonic SR-G10G 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Automatic Rice Cooker, White
Panasonic SR-G10G 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Automatic Rice Cooker, White
Offered by Electronics Warehouse Outlet
Price: $39.00
70 used & new from $17.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Good NOT non-stick Rice Cooker, January 19, 2015
Hey people, read the description before you buy it. This is NOT a non-stick rice cooker. In fact, that is exactly why I bought it. Unless you enjoy eating PTFE and whatever else is in the non-stick coating of your choice, this is the way to go. Those non-stick coatings always inevitably come off. With solid aluminum, there is no coating to come off, so this is definitely the healthier choice. Aluminum itself does not stick to rice that bad. Make sure you add the correct amount of water, and let it sit in the cooker for 5 minutes after it is done. The rice will be perfect. Even if you have a little bit of rice at the end sticking to the bottom, just soak it in water for an hour, and it is super easy to wash clean.

I have cooked white rice, sticky rice, brown rice (add extra water!), and black rice in it successfully. Each time, the rice turned out perfect. When cooking the brown rice, expect it to take longer, and you might need to push the cook button down again.

Pros: No PTFE or other toxic junk coating that peels off eventually, perfect rice, easy to use, cleans up very easily, cooks relatively fast.

Cons: No rice paddle included, no place to hang a rice paddle (the holes in the handles are too small for a rice paddle), not as fast or as good as my old NOT non-stick Aroma 10 cup rice cooker. Unfortunately, Aroma has gone to entirely non-stick coatings, so when my old one broke, this is all I could find.

Anyway, I do hope more brands offer coatingless rice cookers, but in the mean time this little rice cooker is much better than cooking rice on the stove.

Pioneer Electronics USA Blu Ray Combo Drive, BDC-207DBK
Pioneer Electronics USA Blu Ray Combo Drive, BDC-207DBK
Offered by Stick Price
Price: $39.95
41 used & new from $34.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Plays Great using VLC, July 10, 2014
I bought this Blu-Ray drive to play Blu-Ray discs on my projector, which I have set up to my computer. The physical set up was pretty easy and fast. Then, I configured VLC (open source, so totally free) so that it can play Blu-Ray discs. If you want to do this, see my directions below. Once set up, I watched the Planet Earth series on Blu-Ray, and it was beautiful! The drive played smoothly without skipping or waiting at all, and it was completely quiet. The only thing I regret is not paying a bit extra to get the Pioneer drive that can also write Blu-Rays.

Setting up VLC to play Blu-Rays:
Google "play blu ray on VLC" to get a few useful links. You will want to see two of them.
1) If you don't have VLC, download and install it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
2) Next, go to the link: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
From there, you will need to download the key database and the AACS dynamic library
Make sure you get the correct version (32 or 64 bit)
3) Check out the YouTube tutorial at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZAbZQDOOio

After you have copied both of those files to the correct location, open VLC.
Under "Media" click "Open Disc..."
Click on "BluRay"
Change the "Disc device" to the appropriate drive (after obviously first inserting the disc)
Click "Play"

GE Lamp Socket, Push On/Off, Gold 52205
GE Lamp Socket, Push On/Off, Gold 52205
Price: $5.82
4 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It was easy to install, July 10, 2014
It works. It was easy to install, and it works just fine. The price was reasonable. Just like another customer, I was replacing an old lamp, and I found that the base of this socket was too small, so I used the old base with the new top and socket, and I was able to fit it on my old lamp. It works perfectly, but it does look a little odd, since the top is nice and shiny while the bottom is a bit dingy.

Nature Made Diabetes Health Pack, 60 Packets
Nature Made Diabetes Health Pack, 60 Packets
Offered by ShippedFast
Price: $25.65
54 used & new from $16.28

4.0 out of 5 stars All of the vitamins seem to be fine. No problems, July 10, 2014
I bought one year supply of these vitamins. When they arrived, all of them had an expiration date of 1 year and 5 months later. All of the vitamins seem to be fine. No problems. I purchased these vitamins for my mother in law, who tells me they help with her diabetes and also help her eyes.

Spectrum Unrefined Peanut Oil -- 16 fl oz
Spectrum Unrefined Peanut Oil -- 16 fl oz
3 used & new from $38.06

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best oil to use, July 5, 2014
For those of you who stir-fry, this is the best oil to use. Unfortunately, most Americans shy away from stir-frying thinking it unhealthy because it is a little "greasy," and instead we eat processed carbohydrates and hidden fats. Actually, stir-frying can be very healthy because it makes more nutrients available (compared to raw or boiled veggies), and it tastes much better than steamed veggies.

I purchased this oil twice, and both times I received a very high quality rich-flavored peanut oil. It was packaged well in bubble wrap to prevent it from breaking. I have tried peanut oil from many vendors, and this is the absolute best tasting peanut oil that I can find in America. Stay away from any peanut oil that is refined...there is a huge difference in taste. Also, not all unrefined peanut oils are equal in flavor.

Pros:
1) This oil has an excellent rich nutty flavor that makes stir-fried foods taste superb. Vegetable oil and canola oil taste terrible. Corn oil and sunflower oil are okay, but peanut oil is the best! It tastes even better than butter. The only fat that tastes even better than unrefined peanut oil is bacon grease, but bacon grease is high in saturated fat. Compared to other peanut oils I have tried in America, this has the best flavor.
2) This oil can be used to cook at high temperatures without breaking down. Some oils, like olive oil, are unsuitable for frying because they break down at high temperatures.
3) Because it is high oleic peanut oil, this oil is very healthy. Not all fats are the same, and not all monounsaturated fats are the same. Oleic acid is the good part of monounsaturated fat, and it has been show to lower LDL (bad cholesterol). This is a healthy fat, much better than canola oil.

Cons:
1) This oil costs too much! If you are going to use a lot of this oil, there needs to be a low cost solution. I only see it being sold in 16 fl. oz glass bottles. There should definitely be an option to buy it in gallon or half-gallon plastic containers, and the cost should be greatly reduced for the larger containers. I cannot afford this oil at this price.

The Wrinkle in Time Quintet Boxed Set (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, An Acceptable Time)
by Madeleine L'Engle
Price: $23.32
82 used & new from $18.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written fiction, April 26, 2011
I bought this series after having read and thoroughly enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, and the Lord of the Rings book series. I remembered hearing about the Wrinkle in Time series when I was younger, so I gave it a try.

As for the binding and art, I thought the box set was well done. However, the books themselves were a disappointment. Most of the reviewers here sound like they read the books as children and loved them. Perhaps they are good as children's books. However, as a young adult who never read the books as a child, I found them rather boring and poorly written.

The books are simply not as well written as other children's books such as the Narnia or Harry Potter books. The characters seem contrived and rigid. The plot is okay, however the plot development is very slow at the beginning but too fast near the end. The characters get themselves in certain difficult predicaments, but by the end of the books the resolutions of these predicaments are rather simple and even lame. The climax is almost always a let down. The only exception to that is A Swiftly Tilting Planet. That was the only book in the series that I enjoyed. The others were all let downs.

Additionally, as a scientist, I couldn't help but notice that the author has a terrible lack of scientific understanding. Time and time again, all the science is ridiculously unbelievable. The author could at least do a little research and realize that an electron microscope cannot just sit on a desk and cannot be peered into like an optical microscope. That is just one of many examples of stupid science. If you are going to write a science fiction book, at least get the existing science right and try to make the science fiction parts a little more believable.

Lastly, these books were more saturated with the author's religious beliefs than any other children's books I have ever read. The religious discussions are not artfully hid among allegories but are glaring and obtrusive. Non-Christians will definitely not appreciate these glaring religious comments, and conservative Christians will also not appreciate the religious comments because the author's religious views are anything but orthodox. Even if I shared the same religious views as the author, they are stated so blatantly as to make any modern reader feel a bit awkward.

Overall, I would probably give these books two stars. I gave them 3 stars because A Swiftly Tilting Planet is actually a pretty enjoyable read. I do not recommend the other four books to anyone who has never read them as a child.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2013 9:05 AM PST

SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance Memory Card (SDSDX3-008G-P31)
Offered by eTECH
Price: $25.98
9 used & new from $3.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast but Expensive, December 24, 2010
This SanDisk class 10 SDHC memory card is the fastest one I have ever seen. Sometimes, speed really does matter. Other times, saving money and buying cheaper memory makes more sense. The real question is, do you need the fastest SDHC card? If so (e.g. using a dSLR for action shots), get this. If not (e.g. using in a compact digital camera for anything or a dSLR anytime you don't fill up your memory buffer), consider other less expensive options.

1) Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD/2GB-2P
2) Lexar SDHC 4 GB Class 6 Flash Memory Card 100x Jewel Case Envelope Bulk LSD4GBBE100
4) Sandisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Card-Class 10 (SDSDX3-008G-A31)

I compared the photo shooting speeds and the speeds to copy pictures onto a computer for the four different SD cards. I inserted the SD card into my Canon T1i dSRL, formatted the SD card, and shot in RAW+jpeg (which in this case was two files, 19.5mb and 4.7mb respectively). I timed how long it took to shoot 20 pictures, and then I timed how long it took to move those 40 files onto my computer. The T1i buffer filled up after 4.5 shots, so the remaining shots all depended on the write speed of the memory card. I didn't see too much difference in the time it took to copy the files to my computer, but there was a noticeable difference in the shooting speeds. The SanDisk class 10 SDHC card was clearly the fastest, but it was also the most expensive.

4) Transcend 8gb class 10 SDHC (40 sec)

Besides the speed differences, I have not noticed any other difference between these four memory cards. They are all compatible with everything I have (except for a few things that do not take SDHC cards). I have never lost anything on an SD card, and none of my cards have ever broken or failed. However, I do take very good care of them, and I always format the cards after copying pictures onto my computer. Depending on your needs, you may not need 8gb, or you may not need very fast write speeds. If speed matters to you, go with SanDisk...it is the fastest. Otherwise, consider a cheaper alternative.

Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD/2GB-2P
Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD/2GB-2P
4 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast SD card, December 24, 2010
You should be aware that this is an SD, not an SDHC card. That is important, because some older electronic devices are not compatible with SDHC cards. That makes this card a very good value. Yes, it only holds 2gb, which is not much compared to SDHC cards, but some devices can only use SD cards. If that is the case for you, I highly recommend this memory card. It is reliable, compatible, inexpensive, and rather fast.

4) Transcend 8gb class 10 SDHC (40 sec)

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2011 11:45 AM PST

Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10)
Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10)
Offered by eDigitalUSA
Price: Click here to see our price
86 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow but Great Value, December 24, 2010
At the time I am writing this review, the Transcend 8gb class 10 SDHC card is priced at an incredible value. That is the primary reason why I am giving this SDHC card a high rating. Frankly, as far as class 10 memory goes, this is a pretty slow card, and I think it performs more like a class 4 in terms of write speed. However, for most people, this card is really fast enough. It can copy images to a computer very quickly, and most people don't even have a camera with shooting speeds that are limited by the memory card. If you own a dSLR, and speed is your concern, check out SanDisk class 10. If getting reasonable speeds at a bargain price is your concern, look no further and buy this card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good SDHC card, December 24, 2010
The Lexar 4gb SDHC class 6 memory card is a pretty good SDHC memory card. It is not the fastest nor the cheapest, but it is pretty fast (faster than some class 10 cards) and not too expensive. At the time I am writing this, the Lexar SDHC card is priced well but not the best value, though prices can always change.

One reviewer noted a compatibility issue. I, however, have had no compatibility problems whatsoever. This card works in my Canon SD1300, my Canon Rebel T1i, and a few other things. It should be noted that this is an SDHC card NOT an SD card. Some older electronic equipment can only use SD cards. Figure out what your device can use before you buy an SDHC card.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4