Profile for L. Bloom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Bloom RSS Feed

The Mammoth Book of Tattoo Art
The Mammoth Book of Tattoo Art
by Lal Hardy
Price: $15.28
42 used & new from $10.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding collection of (Tattoo ) art., October 18, 2011
This is my second Lal Hardy's Mammoth Book of tattoo art and is by far the best yet in the series. I think this is the second and long may it continue.

This edition is even better than the first and excells in that jaw-dropping: "I've never seen that style or design concept before" amazement type of way..

The kind of amazement I was sure did not exist in tattooing any longer. I was very wrong..

Lal seems to have covered the world (South Korea, the States, Japan, the UK) and gives us a very progressive and illustratively thorough collection of the newest (to me anyway) and most boundary pushing artists: Dan Rooke,Amanda Wachob and Kore Flatmo as well as an authoritative profile of the classic artists which must be included in any collection: Horiyoshi III, Bob Tyrell, Hanna Aitchinson, Louis Malloy and the man himself; Lal Hardy.

If these names mean nothing at all to you and you have a only passive interest in the art of tattooing: this is the most comprehensive and properly curated book you'll ever come to need. Outstanding for either your new bohemian Hackney converted where-house/flat's coffee table as it is for any tattoo artist's waiting room.

The Mammoth Book of Tattoos
The Mammoth Book of Tattoos
by Lal Hardy
Price: $15.58
64 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further.., April 16, 2009
I usually don't like 'flash tattoo' books of any sort. Unless it's a very genre specific book with very high quality photos like
Bushido : Legacies of the Japanese Tattoo by Takahiro Kitamura.

Mammoth Tattoos is not a collection for the 'I must get this tattoo for my next inking' folks... Leave that for the flash books and various tattoo magazines out there.

Unlike all those though--The Mammoth Book Of Tattoos had me floored as I had never before seen such a staggeringly fresh and inspirational collection of art on almost every page. And certainly every genre. Each artist and their art represented by very high quality photos. I had to pick what I didn't like and came up with three out of the 80 artists represented.

This really is a fascinating (coffee-table/reference)book for anyone who appreciates graphic design, classic and modern and yes art which only happens to be on an epidermal canvas.