Profile for A. Jacobs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Jacobs RSS Feed (New York City)

The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal
Offered by Dow Jones & Company
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars $14.99? Bye-bye WSJ Kindle Edition...., May 23, 2009
I've owned the Kindle 2 for a couple of months now and have been a subscriber to the WSJ Kindle edition since I got the device - I let my print+online subscription lapse and was glad to stop throwing a paper newspaper into the recycling bin every day. At $9.99/month, I was already paying a bit more for the Kindle subscription than my $110 print+online subscription had cost me, but it didn't seem too bad: a little less content, a little more convenience, basically a wash. I'm unhappy in principle with the DRM (and would never, ever buy a Kindle book from Amazon for that reason alone) but in the case of a newspaper subscription it's barely tolerable; again, the physical equivalent of the paper would be going into the trash at the end of the day anyway.

A sudden price increase of FIFTY PERCENT for an unchanged product, however, seems unjustified to me. Obviously the cost of delivering the WSJ to the Kindle hasn't just gone up $5/month. I'm sure this is just playing around with the demand curve, but in my case it's pretty elastic. I can read the WSJ at work - it's a little less convenient than browsing it on my Kindle in the subway, but not $5/month less convenient. Accordingly, I will be canceling in two renewal periods when the price for existing customers goes up, unless Amazon/WSJ retract this increase and keep the existing price.

What with this, and the sudden increase of wireless document delivery from 10 cents per document to 15 cents per rounded-up megabyte (a huge increase if you send large documents!) I'm liking my Kindle a lot less nowadays (and no longer recommending it enthusiastically to everyone I meet). The reasonable 10cents/document fee and the relatively reasonable $9.95/month WSJ subscription fee were major factors in my purchasing the Kindle. I doubt I would have bought it two months ago if the WSJ had been $15 or the per document fee had been 15 cents/megabyte. I don't like Amazon changing the terms so radically now that I'm locked in to an expensive device. I know they reserve the right to, but I don't have to like it, and - since I'll be canceling my WSJ subscription and using Calibre to convert my documents from now on - Amazon will be making less money from me as a direct result. Perhaps a lot less; I was excited about the Kindle DX, but this experience has more or less ensured that I'll be waiting for Plastic Logic or another native PDF reader.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2010 9:58 PM PST