Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for Jim Kalinowski > Reviews

Browse

Jim Kalinowski's Profile

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jim Kalinowski RSS Feed (Jamestown, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Condominium: A Novel
Condominium: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ... of one of those disaster movies I use to love. A bit too long but still enjoyable, May 29, 2016
Reminded me of one of those disaster movies I use to love. A bit too long but still enjoyable.

NETGEAR N300 Wall Plug Version  Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP)
NETGEAR N300 Wall Plug Version Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP)
Offered by EMBIZ
Price: Click here to see our price
212 used & new from $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 29, 2016
Works great. Easy to set up. Much improved WiFi throughout the house.

The Olympus Killer: A stand-alone thriller, RE-EDITED 2016 (Greek Island Mysteries)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, August 20, 2015
This novel requires extensive editing. The numerous grammatical errors detract from the story.

Five Days That Shocked the World: Eyewitness Accounts from Europe at the End of World War II
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 14, 2014
review on Goodreads

Canon PIXMA MG5420 Wireless Color Photo Printer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Canon PIXMA MG5420 Wireless Color Photo Printer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Imaging Super Store
Price: $114.99
42 used & new from $55.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Ink cartridge installation nightmare, January 2, 2014
I bought this as a present for my wife who wanted an AirPrint compatible printer so she could work from her iPad. While the design looks sleek, it leave little room to maneuver the cartridges themselves. There is a connector on the back of each cartridge that needs to fit into a slot in the cartridge tray. While this should be easy, I've given up after spending 5 hours and only successfully installing 4 of the 5 cartridges. I've owned multiple printers over the years and this was the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a printer. This one is going back to the store and will probably be replaced with an HP. At least they know how to make a machine where you can install the cartridge. BTW it won't work unless you install them all. See all the other one star reviews.

Who Goes There? (RosettaBooks into Film Book 3)
Who Goes There? (RosettaBooks into Film Book 3)
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale reborn, June 1, 2012
This is the novella that is the basis for at least three movies. Although the science is dated and this novella was written more than 60 years ago, I found it to be entertaining. It was interesting to see that the more recent movies stayed closer to the concept of this story than the original "The Thing". Perhaps the special effects were just too challenging for that technology. This story is set in Antartica with a team of scientists studying on the continent. While the way they approach the discovery of a space craft would never happen today, it still works as long as you take it in context.

I must admit that my appreciation for "Who Goes There" is colored by my love of the original movie. I've watched it multiple times and still enjoy it. I enjoyed that first movie more than the more modern versions and I've enjoyed this more than the original movie. this is available from Amazon in the Kindle format and is a low cost offering. While it is approximately 100 page turns on a Kindle, the actual length is 74 pages.

The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles Book 1)
The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Guy fiction, May 30, 2012
C.S. Splitter writes a face paced thriller. There is a lot of detail on flying here that I found interesting. for the ladies, he does offer an insight into the way we males think. There is a lot here that a guy can identify with, writing style, world view, what we would like ladies to be like. He does avoid having his lead character, Tom Crayder, engage in the impossible physical stunts many other thriller writers seem to insert into a story. I found the first 75% of the novel to be pretty enjoyable. the last 25%, which I think sets up the series, is less believable. But, this is a fun read if you like the genre. the book is pretty well edited, avoiding most of the mistakes rampant in self published work. While I haven't decided if I will continue the series, I think it is worth a visit to sample his writing.

Perigee
Perigee

4.0 out of 5 stars Near future SciFi, May 25, 2012
This review is from: Perigee (Kindle Edition)
This was a very enjoyable foray into "near future science fiction". When I was younger I really loved SciFi as my favorite fiction genre. Over the years I drifted away, no longer interested in "space opera" using questionable physics as the scientific back story. More recently I began revisiting the genre by reading Ben Bova's novels looking at the near future. But, Mr. Chiles has done a good job a dealing with a plausible future. In his afterword he explores the origins of this novel and the elements that are already in place today.

Yes, there are weaknesses, character development could be better but that is common to the genre. He uses a lot of jargon and that, while making reading more difficult and less enjoyable, give the story more believability.

Without repeating the synopsis, better done by others, I think this borrows much from the old Airport movies/novels, that disaster storyline that I used to love, where the disaster is really the main character and the people are the supporting cast.

I, for one, will look forward to more work from this author and he is promising to deliver.

The Best American Sampler: The Best American Series
The Best American Sampler: The Best American Series

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, April 1, 2012
I'm still working my way thru this wonderful series. Each year I try to pick up on of the "Best American" series. This offers a nice sample of all this year's offerings.

Amazon 5W USB Charger (also compatible with other android and iOS devices)
Amazon 5W USB Charger (also compatible with other android and iOS devices)
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, January 26, 2012
I bought this as I think it is easier to find an available electrical outlet than an unused USB slot. Charging my K-Touch isn't that quick but then you don't have to do it very often. I would have preferred a bundled option to get the charger, but as the Touch was a gift I can't complain. It seems to take about 6 hours for a full charge in my experience. It is pretty easy to come up with that time as my current use of the Touch gives me a 3 to 4 week period of use before recharging.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4