Profile for Frank Lloyd Washburn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Frank Lloyd Washburn RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Billionaire Banshee
Billionaire Banshee
Offered by Breaking Games ~ AdMagic, Inc
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, similar vein to Cards Against Humanity, March 23, 2015
This review is from: Billionaire Banshee (Toy)
Genuinely hilarious. Do you think your friend would date someone who owns a Unicorn who farts Sprinkles BUT was a Holocaust denier? Would YOU date someone who was cool with threesomes, but wanted to spend a couple hours each day dressed like a baby in a diaper?

I have never played this game and not laughed my arse off.

It's not really a "game" in the sense of like, Settlers, or even Apples to Apples - I mean, you could keep "score," but the real value of the game is sitting down with a group of friends and seeing what kind of absolutely ridiculous card combinations you get and hearing your friends try to rationalize why they'd date someone with three nipples if they were wealthy enough.

Write Short Kindle Books: A Self-Publishing Manifesto for Non-Fiction Authors (Indie Author Success Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and really informative!, January 11, 2015
Got this for my wife. She majored in Writing at Emerson, but hilariously enough, they (perhaps sadistically and intentionally?) refused to teach Writing majors anything about the publication process or how to actually make a living from your writing. She loved the book and found it really helpful. Thanks Nathan!

Robotech RPG Tactics Starter Board Game
Robotech RPG Tactics Starter Board Game
Price: $70.14
26 used & new from $62.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the quality in this box is pretty amazing. Yes, December 3, 2014
For a first edition game, the quality in this box is pretty amazing. Yes, there are issues with the modeling and the sprues, but if you evaluate this as a GAME - especially as one that will grow and evolve as Palladium listens to and absorbs feedback - I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

The models therein can get a little complicated to build, but if you're in a huge rush to play the game, then you can easily find paper card printout proxies for the models to get a sense of how the game plays - which is fast-paced and brutal. Really feels like being a part of the show.

Don't believe the whiny manbabies here. It's a great game, and if you're new there are a few online communities set up already to help newcomers out with rules, building, and painting. For the most part the people in said communities are great and encouraging.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - Xbox 360
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - Xbox 360
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $6.99
148 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Best melee-based action title I've ever played, enormously replay value, February 27, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The only game that I can think of that even comes close to the sheer genius and robustness of its combat system is God of War 2. But with the unique cutting system and enemy balance that rewards - nay, DEMANDS - hyper-aggression, MGR:R is something revolutionary. Don't listen to pooh-poohers saying "Blurgh this game is only 5 hours!" That in-game counter counts literally only your fastest time, doesn't count cutscenes, dialog, or exploration scenes, and doesn't take into account the many, many times you will die. Not to mention that this game was built from the ground up to constantly push your skills and leave you wanting for more - each successive difficulty amps up enemy aggression and attack patterns, as well as entirely new Boss behaviors. Not to mention the VR Missions will punish you endlessly for your hubris - There are 20 of them (30 to be released later as exclusive DLC for the PS3 I believe :( ), and they are brutally savage and can easily take you more than 15 hours to just complete those - took me an hour of practice just to beat VR Mission 7.

If you're a fan of action games and you don't buy this game, then you are everything wrong with the video game market right now! Platinum games has made something truly revolutionary here, and Konami has trusted them with a spin-off of the enormously popular Metal Gear franchise. Reward that risk-taking, buy this game, full price. Support the developers, support this kind of innovation!

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - PlayStation Vita
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - PlayStation Vita
Offered by PNP Games
Price: $29.03
23 used & new from $24.04

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best game stories ever written, November 5, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
999 and Zero Escape, as a single entry, easily go into my personal "Top 5 games of all time." The stories are gripping, the writing is clever and smart, and the science-fiction actually treats game mechanics - like multiple playthroughs - as story components. Zero Escape in particular has fantastic voiced dialogue, and they even give you the option to have Japanese vs. English audio. I went with Japanese, as I was always leery of English dubs for anime, but apparently the English VO is absolutely superb. Also, my one annoyance with 999 was having to replay entire portions of the game on different playthroughs, and tediously hold down the "fast forward" button to skip through all those novel/dialogue that I had already read. No more, with Zero Escape - the game visually shows you the tree-branching storyline, and you can skip to various points in the branching story at any time.

Play 999, and get this game.

Adventure Time: Season 1
Adventure Time: Season 1
DVD ~ Jeremy Shada
Offered by Two Thumbs Up
Price: $19.69
33 used & new from $10.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful show - This version is censored, August 17, 2012
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 1 (DVD)
The low review for this product is not on Adventure Time. I love the Adventure Time series. I also love that finally we have a collated Season 1, instead of a smattering of various random episodes.

However, the episodes featured in this pack are the censored versions. Cartoon Network found some of the humor too dark in the original episodes, and some of the adult themes in the subtext inappropriate, so they changed the writing and in some cases added or deleted scenes that completely ruined the humor of the show.

The Tree Trunks episode, for example, is one of my favorite episodes of the show. However, its punchline is absolutely ruined by the addition of a single 2 second scene that offsets the dark humor of the punchline.

As much as I like the show I can't in good conscience support this kind of censorship.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 12:35 AM PDT

Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360
Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360
Price: $13.99
90 used & new from $4.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Some flaws, but the high points are incredible, May 23, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
There are two main flaws that I currently see with the game:
1) Your pawns talk ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME. They will literally interrupt themselves to spew out unhelpful and irritating non-advice. However it turns out that you can disable the text of their dialogue from appearing on the screen, and some people say that you can tell them to be less chatty. I'll investigate this.
2) Sometimes you get a quest that you're clearly underleveled for. What's unfortunate is that I got one of these quests, got by butt kicked, so I decided to do some main-story quests to level up. 2 quests later, I got a "Quest cancelled" notice, and the game told me that the quest had expired. Annoying, but at least the game had the courtesy to put the quest in the "completed quests" file of my Quest List.

And now, the positives - or really, the main draw of the game:

The combat is glorious. It is heavy, crunchy, and demanding. If you are a fighter class and you do not block, you will get destroyed. Lowly bandits will gang up on you, and wolves will intelligently attack you in packs. Every battle must be approached intelligently, and you MUST use your special attacks with an eye towards your stamina meter. If you have experience with the Monster Hunter franchise, you will feel right at home - this is like a more brutal, faster paced version of Monster Hunter. And it's wonderful.

It took me about an hour to get into the game, but now that it has its claws in me I can't stop thinking about it. Must go home to play more!

Vanquish - Xbox 360
Vanquish - Xbox 360
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $79.99
28 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent shooter that offers stunning gameplay and razor-sharp movement mechanics, February 6, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Vanquish - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Vanquish is an excellent game that is was easily worth it's original $60 price tag. Now, at it's discounted price, it's a no brainer. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, support the excellent work of Platinum Games, and get ready for some mind-blowingly fast action that does NOT LET UP.

Two words of advice:
If you haven't played this game before, or if you've seen Youtube videos of gameplay that make you think that it's another run-of-the-mill pop-out-of-cover shooter, then try this advice: If the energy of your ARS suit is at 100% capacity for more than 10 consecutive seconds - you're playing it wrong. Yes, on the easier difficulties you can play this game like a Gears of War clone with moderate success. But if you break out of your confines and try speed-bursting around, constantly going into slow-mo, speed-boosting into a melee attack on an enemy and then on the recoil shooting down his robotic friends with a few shotgun blasts... not only will it be EASIER, but the game will be so much more enjoyable for it. The game is DESIGNED to push the boundaries of what you think a third-person cover shooter is. So stop turtling behind cover and get out there, blast around, find the weak points on enemies' backs, and push the ARS meter to the limit. The game will be so much more fun for it.

Secondly - If I had one issue with the game, it's the relatively small number of weapons. Luckily this has been remedied with the Tri-Weapon DLC pack, which was originally offered as a Pre-order bonus. Now it's available for $2 on both Xbox Live and on the Playstation Network - though you may have to dig through "Game Add-ons" and manually search "V" for Vanquish as it's rather poorly advertised. The 3 new guns though are amazing to use, and they really flesh out the range of weaponry available to you. At just 8 guns, I was wishing there were more tools of destruction at my disposal - at 11 guns, I was ecstatically experimenting with new combinations of weapons for different scenarios on Hard difficulty. Even if you already have the game and have beaten it, it's well worth another playthrough with the new weapons.

Edit:

Okay, there seem to be a small faction of people saying that this game can be completed in 3 hours. To that, I say NONSENSE. Yes, I completed the game on Casual Auto in 3.5 hours... after I was so skilled at the game that I had beaten Tactical Challenge 6 and had started on God Hard mode, and was only going through the campaign on Casual Auto to get the rest of the achievements.

Vanquish has an absolutely incredible framework for its gameplay mechanics, and the Tactical Challenges are an absolute adrenaline-rush. I devoted more time to practicing - and finally beating - Tactical Challenge 6 than I have for entire game campaigns. When I beat Challenge 6 my hands were shaking so hard I could barely pick up my glass of water to take a sip, and my breath was haggard and hoarse. I have NEVER felt that kind of adrenaline rush from a video game before, and it is why I am playing the game on the punishingly difficult God Hard mode. I've just finished the first Act, and died 16 times on the first boss. But when I beat him, finally destroyed him, there it was again - my heart was pumping and my hands were shaking.

Do you have the stomach and patience to endure defeat again and again, to learn and slowly become better through dozens of failures, to finally emerge from a tunnel of harrowing difficulty, victorious? If you do, then this game will be a drug for you.

Dead Space 2, Collector's Edition
Dead Space 2, Collector's Edition
11 used & new from $57.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Is the CE worth the extra money?, January 25, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I haven't played the game yet - I've heard nothing but glowing things about it, and I'm sure I'll love it. This review is for the CE extras, and the CE extras alone.

$20 extra for the CE edition - let's see the breakdown

In game armor and weapon - estimated "value" - $5
CD Soundtrack - estimated "value" - $5
Lithograph - estimated "value" - questionable
Plasma Cutter replica, supposedly with light-up LEDs - estimated "value" - Absolute garbage

I haven't seen a more unfortunate gaming CE display toy since the Batman Arkham Asylum batarang. The plasma cutter:
1) Doesn't include two AAA batteries
2) Is very poorly painted/airbrushed
3) Has a big fat MADE IN CHINA printed on the bottom
4) Has enormous screw-holes all along the right side. You MUST display this pointing to the left if you do not want to show off some giant screwholes
5) Has a giant, stand-out plastic seam running across the entire thing
6) Has no friction for the positioning of the two "mandible" things at the end of the gun - they just flap about willy-nilly

Between the questionable value of a tiny artwork postcard (proclaimed by the description to be "rare") and the absolutely embarrassing quality of the plasma cutter, I cannot for a second recommend this CE edition. It'll just take up space in your already cluttered apartment/home. Go with the standard version instead.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2011 1:31 AM PST

LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition - Playstation 3
LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition - Playstation 3
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $76.99
35 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Collector's Edition, January 18, 2011
My thoughts on the Collector's Edition:

Bonus content - definitely worth it. Quality, hilarious costumes from other IPs. Gonzo's my favorite!

Bookends - surprisingly good construction. They're weighted and feel smooth and nice to the touch. Definitely not actually made of wood, but they're convincing enough to make you think that they might be.

The Sackboy - This is why I give the CE 3 stars. He's a 7 inch tall Sackboy.. but somehow, he doesn't really LOOK like Sackboy. The proportions on his head are all wrong - had he looked just like he does in the advertised picture, this would be getting 5 stars. But getting my own Sackboy is basically the main reason I got the CE, and his eyes are smaller, his head is more oval and more oblong, and his smile is crooked. He's just not as cute, and as I hold him and look at him, I really just feel disappointed.

I won't be returning the CE because the Bookends and the bonus content are awesome, but I frankly can't look at the Sackboy without staring at his misshapen mouth, stretched-out head, and too-small eyes. He doesn't look like Sackboy. I'm sad.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2011 9:55 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2