Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween
Profile for Peter Johngren > Reviews

Peter Johngren's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter Johngren RSS Feed (Hartwick, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
South Of France Liquid Soap - Orange Blossom Honey, 12-Ounce
South Of France Liquid Soap - Orange Blossom Honey, 12-Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shower soap!, June 12, 2013
My daughter-in-law gave me liquid soap by South of France a couple of years ago and I fell in love with it. Since I can't find it very often in my rural area I have to send for it. My only frustration is the lack of options on Amazon and other mail-order outlets in size and fragrances. When I tried to order "Green Tea" it kept reverting to "Lavender," or sometimes the two-pack instead of a single bottle, and the prices seem to vary widely, and sometimes outrageously. I would like the ability to order single bottles of a few fragrances at a time, and that hasn't always been possible. Otherwise I would highly recommend this product if you want a luxurious, lather-y shower or bath.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2013 7:41 AM PDT

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
Price: $99.99
113 used & new from $85.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bass Augmentation, June 4, 2013
I bought the Polk Audio PSW 10 subwoofer to augment a stereo system at our camp, which has a pair of homemade bookshelf speakers as the main speakers. These would not be called bookshelf speakers today, as they are about 22" X 10" X 8" and are a ducted port bass reflex design with Electro Voice 8" woofer/mid-range cone speakers and horn tweeters with an appropriate crossover and volume control for the tweeter. I have them standing vertically on the floor and they remind me of those fine old KLH speakers of days gone by.
While these speakers put out an adequate sound and are very nice in the mid-range and higher frequencies, the bass is definitely thin. Enter the Polk, at a very reasonable price, and the system takes on a real transformation with rich bass especially in the lower strings, and the mid-range sounds even better than before, since the 8" drivers are now relieved of having to produce any of the real lower frequencies.

I decided to wire the system according to one of the options in the Polk manual, whereby you run the right and left high level speaker outputs from the receiver directly to the sub, then connect the main speakers to the speaker output terminals on the sub, using the subs internal circuitry, crossovers etc. to control what goes to the main speakers and what goes to the sub. Since the sub has controls for matching the phasing between speakers and sub as well as the crossover point and the sub’s volume, you can easily create the perfect transition between main speakers and sub and get the overall sound you want. For some reason this approach is often disparaged in favor of a line level connection to the sub, when in fact amazing results can be attained by using the above approach.
This is a terrific subwoofer and should be given serious consideration in any system where some augmentation of the lower frequencies is in order.

Blake Printing Supply AI-285A Laser Toner Cartridge Compatible with HP 85
Blake Printing Supply AI-285A Laser Toner Cartridge Compatible with HP 85

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality at a fair price, May 21, 2013
I had bought a new HP printer and the toner cartridge in it lasted no time at all. With the HP cartridges costing a fortune I was impressed by reviews of the Blake toner replacements, ordered one, and was very happy. So this time when buying another new HP printer for my wife, I ordered the respective Blake cartridge to go with the new printer.

These are great cartridges, with black detailed printing that looks terrific. Judging from my first one, they also last a long time. Why should I pay over 3 times as much for an HP toner that doesn't last as long, when a Blake gives just as good results and lasts longer at 1/3 the price? I plan to buy nothing but Blake from now on.

Believe [Deluxe Edition]
Believe [Deluxe Edition]
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $9.79
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate, June 21, 2012
Justin Bieber's `Believe' is one of those rare CD's that you can listen to straight through, without pressing the skip-to-the-next-track button. It is a purely enjoyable collection of very well written, produced, and expertly sung songs, that put the sounds of summer back in the air.

I have been following Justin's career since 2009, and as a 71 year old grandfather I consider myself his oldest fan. Having loved pop music since the 1950's, I don't consider any music off limits. It is therefore hard for me to understand the narrow minded views of some supposed music lovers, who dump on this album.

There are terrific club/dance tunes on this CD like "All Around the World" and "As Long As You Love Me," beautiful dreamy ballads like "Catching Feelings: and "Fall," direct guitar-driven love songs like "Be Alright," cutting humor as in "Maria," and what could easily be a Jackson 5 long lost gem in "Die In Your Arms."

In 2010 we attended a Bieber arena concert and it was pure fun. At 16 he managed to captivate an audience of 15,000 people for a full 90 minutes. He has only improved over the past two years and it is clear that he is here to stay. The "haters" are peeing their own pants and depriving themselves of first class music by avoiding this CD. I highly recommend that anyone who really likes music to check this album out.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2015 3:25 AM PDT

Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Color Inkjet Printer (CA61201-VM)
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Color Inkjet Printer (CA61201-VM)
4 used & new from $1,200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Replacement, May 25, 2012
The Epson Stylus Pro 3880 replaces a Stylus Pro 4000 which enjoyed 7 years of service. That printer was a monster and weighed about twice as much as the 3880. Both will print on 17" wide paper.

The 3880 installed without problems and out of the box printed perfectly. I was able to easily adjust it to duplicate the color of the 4000 so that all previous image files will print basically the same. The detail and sharpness of the 3880 prints to my eye exceed that of the 4000 and the color is rich and accurate. The color also shifts less under various lighting conditions and the surface sheen is much more uniform.

As mentioned by others, you do lose a little ink when switching from Photo Black to Matte Black and visa versa, since the two inks share a common channel. The 4000 didn't have "Light Light Black," so that channel could be used for one of the blacks.

The printer is very easy to load in the standard way and I have no need for the other methods. I was able to easily load a cut piece of roll paper, 29" in length and it printed fine dealing with it as sheet paper.

No doubt a new model is just around the corner, because Epson is offering $250 cash back this month and that's on top of Amazon's discount, so getting this printer for about $1000 is an excellent deal. So far I am very happy with this printer.

Shure M97xE High-Performance Magnetic Phono Cartridge
Shure M97xE High-Performance Magnetic Phono Cartridge
Price: $73.67
43 used & new from $64.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, May 2, 2012
Well I can't believe I am writing this, but I just installed the Shure M97xE and it clearly sounds better than my old original V15 Type 5 MR. I have been a long time Shure fan, with V15 Types 3, 4 and 5, and along the way all the stylus incarnations from elliptical, to hyper-elliptical, to micro ridge. I was a dedicated LP collector until the advent of CD at which point, I must admit, I fell in love with the clean pop and tic-free "presence" of the compact disk.

However, I couldn't part with my precision Thorens TD 145 turntable and even spent way too much on an MR replacement stylus for the Type 5 in 2002. The other day I went to play Billy Joel's "Toys in the Attic" and discovered that the stylus shank was no longer connected to the cartridge body, and a replacement was needed. It was then that I found out Shure no longer makes the cartridge or its replacement stylus due to cost factors. Shure's solution was the M97xE. The reviews for the most part were very positive except from those who had received a defective unit, so I ordered one.

With the Thorens very accurate and easy to use overhang gauge, I installed the cartridge and adjusted the stylus and anti-skating settings. Onto the turntable went Billy Joel and the sound that emerged was a revelation.

The bass is tight and clean, the mid-range and highs exciting and well balanced, but what amazed me most was the clean clear sense of presence that emerged - it was as if Joel and forces were right in the room. My guess is that with the advent of the CD, Shure tweaked their approach to cartridges and switched to a more "live" sound. The output of this cartridge is higher with its 4.0 mV, as opposed to the V15 Type5 with its 3.2 mV output, which may account for some of the increased energy.

Buying this cartridge is a no-brainer. If you loved Stereo LP's and if you were a dedicated Shure fan, then this cartridge will be a welcome addition to your audio toys in the attic. In my opinion it is an example of sane, practical, yet elegant design, leaving nothing out except the beryllium, and who really needs beryllium in their musical life.

Remington F3790 Men's Flexing Foil Electric Shaver
Remington F3790 Men's Flexing Foil Electric Shaver
Offered by Pinnacle Thought Inc.
Price: $27.99
17 used & new from $24.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, May 1, 2012
Due to a medical problem, I decided to give up blade-shaving and try an electric. Since I thought this would be temporary, I bought the Remington F3790 because it was so inexpensive. Having used it now for about 7 months, I find that it is actually a good little shaver and more than worth the price. It does take a few weeks for your beard to adapt to it and for the shaver to work more effectively. I now like it so much that I will probably not go back to blade-shaving and went on Amazon to look into the blade replacement kit for the Remington. The shaver holds its charge for a good long time - maybe two weeks. I run mine until it stops, then charge it for 24 hours. This product is much better than expected.

Under The Mistletoe [CD/DVD Combo] [Deluxe Edition]
Under The Mistletoe [CD/DVD Combo] [Deluxe Edition]
Offered by B68 Solutions Limited
Price: $3.79
100 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Something New for Christmas, November 19, 2011
It has been fun watching this kid grow up over the last few years and take over the musical world. He has made connections with many other artists, collaborating with them and trying out various musical styles. This is very evident on this delightful set of tunes for the holiday season. There are surprises too - who would think of doing "Little Drummer Boy" as a rap tune - yet they all work. It is one of those rare CD's that you can put on and play all the way through, without having to skip over painfully annoying tracks.

Justin's voice is developing and deepening and an even more recent cover tune now on the Internet indicates that this is still happening. There are about six new songs on Mistletoe and Justin participated in writing all of them, and is the main writer and producer for one of these songs. I realize there are the "hatrz" and critics out there, but in my opinion as an almost 71 year old grandfather, this kid is one of the bright spots on an otherwise bleak planet. Christmas time is a great time to celebrate the fact that there are still people around like Justin Bieber, and that there is new fun Christmas music to listen to. Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 12:43 PM PDT

Belieber!: Fame, Faith, and the Heart of Justin Bieber
Belieber!: Fame, Faith, and the Heart of Justin Bieber
by Cathleen Falsani
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Belieber in Justin, September 27, 2011
As a 70 year old grandfather, I am probably one of Justin Bieber's oldest fans. My granddaughter recently gave me a Bieber tooth brush. I am fascinated by this talented kid and end up reading or seeing everything related to Justin - I loved "Never Say Never."

As a non-believer myself, I would have expected that something written by a religion editor and rather fundamentalist author to be the last thing I could stand reading. Yet this book, "Belieber: Fame, Faith, and the Heart of Justin Bieber" is really a well researched, well written, and from what I can tell accurate telling of the spiritual side of Justin Bieber. It helps explain the singer's more than occasional thanking of God, his intense charity work, and actually his goodness as a person. Justin is one of those rare individuals who actually practices what he preaches. He is genuine to the core and very human - he makes mistakes and is quick to apologize and even uses his mistakes as a gentle lesson to his young followers.

My favorite example of this is his famously giving the finger to a bunch of relentless paparazzi. Both his flipping the bird and his subsequent apology were completely real and his using the incident to talk about the dangers of acting in anger, pure genius.

This book gives you a clear feel for the origins of all this, his mother's journey, and how Justin has come to be surrounded by the incredible people that comprise Team Bieber. It is well worth reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 9:21 PM PST

Toshiba NB505-N508BN 10.1-Inch Netbook (Brown)
Toshiba NB505-N508BN 10.1-Inch Netbook (Brown)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Travel Companion, August 10, 2011
Got this mini-notebook just before going on a trip to Alaska and upgraded the RAM to 2GB right away. It is really a neat little machine, and will replace my full-sized Toshiba laptop I have had for some time, due to its small size and elegent efficiency.

Windows 7 Starter takes a little getting use to, but then I am an old died-in-the-wool XP fan. Once that little learning curve is achieved, you get a better feel for what this little gem is capable of, and your repect for it allows you to cut it a bit of slack and get the most out of what it can do so well.

In fact, you really come to appreciate programs with a smaller footprint and you start dumping the bloated old geizers you are use to. For example, don't bother with the trial version of Norton Internet Security and definately don't try to install Norton Antivirus 2011. Instead, download for free the AV gem Microsoft Essentials 2.0. It works flawlessly and doesn't tax your little Toshiba in the least.

You may first be dismayed that there is no Outlook Express, but do not fret. Windows 7 Live Mail is terrific and can meet all your email needs.

I am a photographer and during the AK trip took tons of pictures, downloading them all onto the little Toshiba which didn't blink once. There is a wonderful free little program available on the Internet called "Batch Image Resizer" and any full sized pictures I wanted to email, I just ran though that and all was fine. The full sized originals remained on the notebook with back up to a flash drive.

The unit has three USB ports as well as an SD card reader for all your photographic and peripheral needs. The keyboard is just what I have been looking for. It is almost the same size as my original toshiba square screen laptop, and dumps that anoying and useless number key pad on the right, which seems to be present on all other laptops and for most of us serves no useful purpose. You get just the part of the keyboard you need with essentially full-sized keys.

The screen is bright and clear and easy to read. All in all, this is a terrific little device and a great travel companion. The full sized laptop has gone into retirement.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3