Profile for M. Potter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Potter RSS Feed (Detroit)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sahara Extra-Absorbent Washable Underpad, White, 34x36 in., Pack/4
Sahara Extra-Absorbent Washable Underpad, White, 34x36 in., Pack/4
Offered by JDCSupplies
Price: $42.06
7 used & new from $42.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly two years old and still going strong, December 26, 2014
I first bought these close to two years ago, then added a few more over half a year ago. After seeing that one will hold back the flood waters (by placing one on top of the other to see if the second got wet at all), my big concern was durability. While initially pleased, I didn't write a review (like so many will shortly after opening the box) because I wanted to see how they hold up. Would they start leaking after 5, 10, 20 washes? Those nearing two years old are still holding up, probably averaging a wash every 7-10 days. A similar pad with wings to tuck under the mattress works a bit better for bed, but these will do the job too. So far they're working brilliantly. I'm not filling up trash bags as quickly as I would with the disposable pads, hopefully saving the environment a little.

I keep three on the sofa (never know when I'll turn around and find my mom lying down) and have a total of eight. They stay in place amazingly well on cloth upholstery with nothing on the back to grip (or pull at) the cloth. With so many things to worry about keeping stocked when caring for a parent, (drugs, supplies for insulin injections, diapers, wipes, etc) it really is nice to have something this durable and reliable and I never need to worry about running out.

Yoga for Seniors with Jane Adams:  Improve balance, strength and flexibility with Gentle Senior Yoga
Yoga for Seniors with Jane Adams: Improve balance, strength and flexibility with Gentle Senior Yoga
DVD ~ Jane Adams
Offered by Jane Adams, Yoga for Seniors
Price: $14.95
7 used & new from $11.90

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're reading this far--just try it. Couldn't be more pleased., December 22, 2014
After three weeks or so, yesterday, my mother (85/Alzheimer's) completed the DVD for the first time. Today, absent-mindedly, we both forgot her cane, going to the pharmacy. She made it to the back of the pharmacy and back to the car with less loss of balance than she normally had with her cane. While I'm not willing to intentionally forget the cane, this was extraordinary and this DVD had to have played a good role in that. Her posture has improved and back pain decreased. I can't tell you if she has more endurance, but I suspect it's improving--when doing much more than the pharmacy, if shopping she uses the trolley. At a museum, the mall, zoo, etc I push her in a wheelchair.

This has to be the best buy I've made in the 14 months since she moved in with me. The treadmill (non-motorized & on an incline) is taxing and, while we still use it on days where we don't go out, she's done after 2-3 minutes. I never felt it did much for her. I wanted something, in addition to that and taking her to the basement with me 1-2 times most days (to keep up her ability to ascend and descend stairs), to improve her balance and overall fitness--or prevent/slow decline. This has undoubtedly helped my mom improve. Every day, when I suggest it, she jumps to it as though she'd been looking forward to it.

I'd encourage anyone considering this to give it a try. Push, but not too hard. It took us a week to get to 12 minutes and over three weeks to get to the whole 36 or so minutes of the individual session. We haven't yet looked at the class session, so I don't know if it's the same or a different workout. Don't try to be perfect the first time. While improving, my mom still doesn't get each balance or exercise perfectly. If your balance isn't what it once was, try to have someone with you--or, at least, use a substantive armchair in case you need its weight to prevent falling. I doubt I'll ever leave my mom with this DVD going. I doubt there's a better value available for fitness and balance. This is clearly doing much more than the months of physical therapy my mother had in independent living through most of 2013.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2014 12:52 PM PST

Velocity Micro Edge Z45.1 Desktop
Velocity Micro Edge Z45.1 Desktop

2.0 out of 5 stars Many quirks, June 1, 2014
Since IBM quit making desktops, every computer I've had has been progressively worse. But this computer has been far more problematic:

Wink-outs: I hadn't known of such a thing. This computer will go blank for 1-5 seconds, then come back as it had been. Sometimes it'll do it several times per minute. Sometimes it'll go days without doing it. I bought a new monitor, thinking that was the problem. It wasn't.

Freezing: This computer will freeze a few times most days. Sometimes I'll get the blue screen of death, but normally everything disappears and the wallpaper comes up with nothing else. Also, it'll frequently freeze when the screensaver comes on. Sometimes it'll take 5-6 restarts before I'm able to do anything.

Browser: This one's my favorite: When clicking on Internet Explorer and Firefox, from time to time, I'll see the screen come up and it zooms across the screen & off to the right of the screen. Can't see it. Can't do anything with it. Click on it on the toolbar at the bottom and it'll zoom across the screen to below the bottom of the screen. This can be hours of entertainment, if you're a bored idiot. After a few days, suddenly, IE and Firefox will function properly again--for a few days or even weeks. This hasn't happened yet with Opera. At first I thought that I must have a virus that my anti-virus thing didn't catch. After scanning with two other anti-virus programs, I've come to realize it's just another fun quirk.

Their customer service, though polite, hasn't been helpful. I wanted to buy an American-made & supported computer, so I got this. I wish my problems were unique to me. They don't seem to be, though do an internet search on any computer company and you'll find plenty of nightmares. I've now had mine for a little over a year and am trying to make it last at least another year. Based on my experience, I'd never buy again or recommend.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2014 1:15 PM PST

Black & White and Dead All Over
Black & White and Dead All Over
DVD
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a very pleasant view of where we're headed, May 18, 2014
This documentary gives perspective about the where American journalism (particularly written, serious journalism) is today, how it got there and where it may be headed. It isn't a pretty picture. It's troubling. If the topic interests you, it's well done. If you want to know one of the reasons America doesn't work as well as you think it should, here it is.

Prevail Underwear for Women, Small/Medium, 20-Count (Pack of 4)
Prevail Underwear for Women, Small/Medium, 20-Count (Pack of 4)
Offered by Prime Medical Store
Price: $67.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and try these, May 11, 2014
Because they aren't available in many places (have only seen in K Mart), I'd used Depends, Tena and other brands found at the large chain drugstores and supermarkets. With all those other brands, I had to change my mother's nightgown, sheets, blanket and quilt most nights--sometimes more than once. Also had the embarrassment of returning a sopping wet wheelchair at an art museum because they'd failed to hold up to the task. Since I stumbled across Prevail, I've never had a wet wheelchair and my laundry machines are used much, much less. In fact, there have been a few times (over three months or so) we've made it a week, where I changed the sheets without the old ones being soiled.

Even diarrhea is no longer the disaster it once was--changing bed and scrubbing the carpet between the bed and toilet. I don't want to be gross, but anyone reading this has probably experienced the joys of this issue. They seem to have a specific area (quite large) designed to hold back even runny bowel movements.

Maybe they won't work for everyone else as well as they did for us, but do give them a try. If you need something reliable for yourself or an aging parent/spouse/sibling, I hope you can find something that works as well as these do for me. They aren't as good a buy as I thought they were here. I was mistaken doing the math when I subscribed, so I unsubscribed when I got them. I hate sounding like a commercial, but these really are quite good.

BISSELL Little Green Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet Cleaner, 1400B
BISSELL Little Green Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet Cleaner, 1400B
Price: $68.13
45 used & new from $58.67

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright, but is it any better than a brush and a bottle?, May 9, 2014
Maybe I'm silly, but I like value. This isn't a bad little machine. For spots, I just don't see where it's better than a scrub brush, a spray bottle of cleaner and a vacuum--all of which I already had. (It's too small to even think of taking the place of a regular carpet cleaner.) I thought it might make life with an aging mother and her cat simpler. I'm not sure it has. It isn't a bad product (other than being made by $1/hr labor in China, with substandard environmental laws).

As a proud Michigander, I wish I could recommend this product (Bissell is headquartered here). I'm keeping it. After using it 4-5 times, I have a feeling that there may be a day when it has a considerable amount of dust on it because I've gone back to my scrub brush and Woolite carpet cleaner.

Electrolux Ergospace Bagged Canister Vacuum, EL4103A
Electrolux Ergospace Bagged Canister Vacuum, EL4103A
Price: $165.99
19 used & new from $149.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing - returned, May 9, 2014
If you already own an Electrolux vacuum and think this could be a great value, you're wrong. My current vacuum (10 yrs old), which I killed by getting a quilt caught in it was an Electrolux (for which I'd paid $350). I probably was a little silly thinking I'd get something close for under $200(with part of the price difference being the wage difference between Sweden and Hungary).

Do yourself a favor, buy a $100 Bissell/Eureka/Hoover and you'll have a far better value, if not a better vacuum. This one isn't very powerful. The "turbo" tool (spinning brush) doesn't spin on rugs/carpet. There isn't a lot of suction. The 'multi-use' tool seems flimsy and isn't intuitive. I now see that I need to pay $400-500 to replace my old vacuum. This isn't a $170 vacuum, let alone $300, the msrp. I love Electrolux. I never thought I'd like a vacuum as much as the one I just killed. But this surely wasn't the value I'd hoped for--especially now that I've taken in my 85 yr old mother and her cat.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2014 1:32 PM PDT

Tivoli Audio Model One AM/FM Table Radio, Cherry/Cobalt Blue
Tivoli Audio Model One AM/FM Table Radio, Cherry/Cobalt Blue
Offered by Another Deal Site
Price: $122.43
12 used & new from $122.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor value, April 24, 2014
I really like it. The sound quality is good, but not as exceptional as the price. I love the look of it, though it doesn't feel as substantial as I thought it would. But it is made in CHINA. I find it difficult to stomach the thought that I paid $150 for a radio made by someone being paid roughly $1/hr in a country with substandard labor and environmental laws.

As I said, I like it. But I'd find it really difficult to justify paying $150 for another. If they cut the price to half that or less, as it is, then the value might be there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 7:42 AM PDT

Pilot [HD]
Pilot [HD]
DVD
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars More Hollywood apocalyptic nonsense, February 8, 2014
After seeing only the pilot, I felt sorry for the actors. Surely they need jobs too. One hopes enough people enjoy this sort of thing to keep them working. No redeeming qualities here, unless you enjoy a bunch of superstitious b.s. and like to think about the world coming to an end.

Comfortable Electronic Light Weight Owl Rechargeable Sound Amplifier
Comfortable Electronic Light Weight Owl Rechargeable Sound Amplifier
Offered by MegaBox
Price: $21.06
2 used & new from $21.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, January 26, 2014
My mother has dementia and spends days in day care. This is a recipe for losing a lot of stuff. I decided to start cheap and build my way up. The good news is that this works nearly as well as a 4-figure hearing. The battery lasts us the 12 or so hours needed every day on one charge (for about two months now). The only drawback is that its fit is a little awkward. Am now ordering two more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3