Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Book Reviewer > Reviews

Browse

Book Reviewer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Book Reviewer RSS Feed (Springboro, OH USA)

GThunder Vacuum Suction Cup Soap Dishes Holder Stainless Steel Kitchen Toilet Soap Dishes - Power Lock Suction Soap Dishes Caddy for Shower
Offered by GThunder
Price: $19.90
2 used & new from $11.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Suction Cup Didn't Work, January 1, 2016
In theory this appeared to be a great product when I ordered it. It even looked well built when I received it. However, after carefully following the instructions provided to thoroughly clean the area where the suction cup attaches, I attempted to attach it with no luck. Apparently, the tile in my shower was not smooth enough to allow the suction cup to stay attached. Then I tried attaching it to the surrounding glass. That seemed to work, but an hour later it came loose and fell with a loud crashing sound. Guess I'll have to use a wire hanger and "MacGyver" a solution to hook this over the top of the glass shower panel or see if Amazon offers a more foolproof design. If you believe you have a shower this could actually work in, or are just feeling lucky and want to give it a try, go for it. However, based on my experience, you may want to look for a product that doesn't rely on a low grade suction cup to work.

General Forensic Sciences: American Academy of Forensic Sciences Reference Series - A Decade of Research and Case Study Proceedings
by Robert C. Gaffney MFS
Price: $59.00
3 used & new from $59.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I will either remove this bad rating or buy the book, January 1, 2016
I can't justify spending $59 for this book without seeing the table of contents. If you post a TOC, I will either remove this bad rating or buy the book, read it over, and give it a higher rating. Thanks.

Air Crashes and Miracle Landings: 60 Narratives: (How, When ... and Most Importantly Why)
by Christopher Bartlett
Price: $16.23
41 used & new from $11.86

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed to see no mention in the table of contents ..., December 19, 2015
I was disappointed to see no mention in the table of contents of the horrible story of PSA 182 mid-air collision over San Diego back on 25Sep78. It resulted in loss of 144 souls and resulted in many changes in the airline industry to minimize the chance of this accident ever happening again. This accident should never be forgotten. Also, if I were authoring a book of this sort, I would have included more photos.

Sharp Engineering/Scientific Calculator (EL-W516XBSL)
Sharp Engineering/Scientific Calculator (EL-W516XBSL)
Price: $15.50
137 used & new from $13.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read keys without bright light., April 26, 2014
I think I made a mistake getting this calculator. It works great, especially under a bright desk lamp. However, when I try to use use it in a room with only a 75W ceiling light, I found the keys very hard to read on the black background. Also, and perhaps it's not a problem due to being solar powered, but this calculator does not use common AAA batteries. You need a tiny jewelers type phillips head screw driver to open the battery compartment. I'm used to a HP calculators that feel much more substantial/weighty in hand and have keys that function more distinctly than this calculator. Aside from that, it's great having all the functionality this calculator brings to the table. Too bad the ergonomics of it fall short. Perhaps I'll see if I can return this and buy the Casio Advanced Scientific Calculator with 2-Line Natural Textbook Display (FX-115ES) to use as a good everyday use calculator.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

Briggs & Stratton 85060 6-Gallon Auto Shut Off Gas Can
Briggs & Stratton 85060 6-Gallon Auto Shut Off Gas Can
Price: $19.98
4 used & new from $19.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Trouble using the spout, October 12, 2013
I bought a few of these to stock up on gas when the price occasionally goes down (i.e., esp. when redeeming Kroger fuel credits and want to get my full allotment of 35 gallons at the reduced price). Eventually I need to transfer the gas from these cans to my car. BTW, when this container is full of gas, it is quite heavy. Couple that with the high tech spout that's hard to use (probably designed by an environmentalist), and you may be in for a difficult time filling your car with gas this way. For what it's worth, you may find it simpler to siphon the gas from this gas can over to your car's gas port/tank using the following product: Hopkins FloTool 10801 Shaker Anti Static I found out about it through the following YouTube video: [...] Good luck!

Victorinox Swiss Army Explorer with Free Pouch
Victorinox Swiss Army Explorer with Free Pouch
Price: $44.99
6 used & new from $31.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Knife / Pouch too small, October 2, 2013
The Explorer SA knife (with its free pouch) arrived in good time and in perfect condition. For that I really wanted to give this purchase five (5) stars, but I had to knock a star off for the pouch. The pouch material and its quality of construction are great. However, when I slid the knife all the way into the pouch, the pouch was about 1/4" too shallow for the snap to come together and easily close. It took two hands to force the snap to come around and close. The only way I could get it to snap shut was to jam the knife in so tight that it was forced to sit at an angle across the full inside width of the pouch. This in unacceptable, because it should be easy to return the knife to the pouch and snap it shut with one hand if it's clipped to your belt. I like the idea of a pouch to protect the knife from getting scratched up over time, so I plan to buy a slightly larger pouch more suitably sized for this knife. Since I'll have to spend more money to get what should have been free with this deal, I'm knocking a star off the rating.

APC BR1000G Back-UPS Pro 8-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
APC BR1000G Back-UPS Pro 8-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
Price: Click here to see our price
175 used & new from $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Unclear Software Directions, December 31, 2010
I just purchased the subject APC BR1000G hardware yesterday to protect my MAC equipment. So far I believe the APC to be a quality product. I would have rated it five stars except for one very annoying issue.
My beef is that nowhere in the APC directions/owner's manual does it say you don't have to download and install software to make this product work with the Mac OS X. The front page of the APC owner's manual says to download the PowerChute Personal Edition software from the following site: [...] However, when you go to that site you will find that they only offer software for all the various PC operating systems--nothing about MAC OS versions. There is no mention of the fact that when Apple released native UPS support back in the early days of Mac OS X Tiger 10.4, the need to run PowerChute Personal Edition in its current form effectively ended. I had to spend an hour messing around in the APC web site and in Google before I finally learned about that fact at the following APC Discussion Forum site:
[...]
That information was posted Sep 8, 2008, so there's been enough time for APC to update their owner's manual (currently dated 12/2009) as well as their web site. Hopefully this will save some of you the time and frustration I experienced.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2011 5:43 PM PDT

Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens (2008)
Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens (2008)
DVD ~ Annie Leibovitz
Price: $13.64
28 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A Testament to the Power of Photography, May 24, 2009
If you think Ansel Adams was or is the only famous photographer, think again. I honestly had never heard of Annie Leibovitz before buying this DVD. However, I am taking expensive night classes to become a professional photographer and have become very open minded to learning about photographers I had not known before. This video of Annie's life opened my mind like nothing had before to what fantastic possibilities photography offers one working in this profession. I found this DVD to be a first-rate, high-energy production that kept me on the edge of my chair the whole time. Part of me never wanted it to end. At the end, however, you are left with a keen awareness of the power photography offers as an art form and communication tool. I almost never write a review on any DVD or book, though this is different. If you want to experience a brief taste of what it means to be a photographic master, do not hesitate to pick up and watch this DVD. In conclusion, after seeing this DVD, my hope is that one day Annie would be inspired to develop training DVDs or to actually teach several week-long seminars on location each year so that photographers aspiring to greatness could have the privilege and opportunity to learn directly from the master.

Simulation with Arena w/ CD-Rom
Simulation with Arena w/ CD-Rom
by W. David Kelton
37 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is better than nothing., October 10, 2004
Overall this is a good book, if a bit overpriced and wordy. Let me put it this way, I guess I really wouldn't want to be without this book. On the other hand, I found it frustrating to use when I needed quick answers, as these authors love getting right into the details. For example, when I wanted to add a conveyor to a process I was modeling, there wasn't a simple introduction at the beginning of the conveyer section to provide a quick, adequate overview. The book doesn't use effective formatting to help one quickly find specific things needed (i.e., Entities Entering Along Conveyor; Entity Proceeds if There is Space; Power and Free Conveyor; Synchronous Movement of Entities; Basic Accumulating; Basic Nonaccumulating; Processing on a Conveyor; Selecting Based on Inspection; Varying Entity Sizes on Accumulating; Failures for Conveyors; Two Merging to One; Choosing Alternate Conveyors; Merging Conveyors; Shrinking Parts on a Conveyor; etc.). Though I recommend this book, you may want to supplement it with another one (i.e., such as a "Dummy" type book) for those times when you need simple, fast answers.

Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems
Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems
by William E. Boyce
114 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Will the eighth edition get it right? Probably not..., March 31, 2002
Given what this book lacks, it leaves me with a clear sense of rage. The examples don't inspire enthusiasm; nor provide deep understanding or a sense of appreciation for the power and beauty of differential equations (DE). Examples are formal, artificial, dull, boring and algorithmic; no clarifying detail; no helpful hints; or what to watch out for (i.e., results obtained by computers); no sense of fun, unless you're a Nazi; few Internet links; and little regard to the related geometry of the equations and their solutions (i.e., slope fields, graphs of solutions, vector fields, solution curves in the phase plane, etc.). There is no sense of history on DEs. It doesn't provide an intuitive feel of how to apply DEs, and I sensed the authors were stressing techniques (cookbook fashion) more than concept - that is deadly in the real world where they are going to give you some problem whose mathematical component may be difficult to identify and ask you to do your best with it. A DE book rated five stars (which this ain't) must address all the above issues, and many more, if it is to honestly champion the needs of the student and professional alike.