Profile for C. Simon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Simon "Synrgy (myspace.com/synrgy)" RSS Feed (Washington DC)

Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller with Two Expression Pedals
Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller with Two Expression Pedals
Price: $149.99
11 used & new from $138.13

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless for Ableton...., June 26, 2010
I have spent the last several years trying to get my self set up for MIDI guitar.

Amongst my set up, I have been trying to find a MIDI foot-controller that will let me send simple momentary signals to Ableton to do things like arm channels to record, change channels from on/off, etc. The idea being, I want to arm a channel, start playing/recording a MIDI riff, and then disarm the channel so that the loop begins playing on its own and I can switch to another sound.

Out of the box, I discovered, this unit will NOT send that type of MIDI data.

SO, I did some digging around the internet, and found that there's a third-party/aftermarket firmware chip called UNO that will allow you to program the FCB1010 to send momentary MIDI signals, aka 'stompbox mode'. I ordered this firmware chip, paying another $30 some odd on top of the original FCB1010 purchase.

2 weeks after installation of the UNO chip (Which, by the way, I could STILL not get programmed to send the type of signal I need), the FCB1010's LCD display died. The unit still takes power, but no longer sends or receives data or shows any display on the LCD screen. I now own a $250 over-sized paperweight.

FURTHERMORE, Behringer does not support this unit AT ALL. BUYER BEWARE.

I consider now that my entire investment in this gear has been wasted. I should have spent the extra money on a Roland or Rocktron unit, but I'm apparently stupid and still believe one can save some money once in a while buy buying an inexpensive piece of gear. So much for that idea. Once again the market proves that you get what you pay for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2010 2:25 PM PDT

Fabriclive.40
Fabriclive.40
32 used & new from $8.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisia owning the world, one genre at a time., March 8, 2010
This review is from: Fabriclive.40 (Audio CD)
These guys have become my Golden Boys of DnB; they can do NO wrong.

This mix showcases their ability to hop genres within a mix not just as DJs, but as producers. Their productions in Drum N Bass, House, Breaks, Dubstep and so on are all featured here, and each is decidedly top-notch whilst still maintaining a vibe that is immediately identifiable as nobody other than Noisia. I'm biased, as they're currently my favorite producers bar-none, regardless of genre.

Peppered with one or two previews from their upcoming debut full-length album, this mix is a must-have for any DnB or electronic music fan who doesn't lock themselves down to one sub-genre.

If you like Noisia or Spor, or mixes by Diselboy, Dara, etc etc etc, this should be right up your alley.

Guitar Finishing Step-by-Step
Guitar Finishing Step-by-Step
by Dan Erlewine
Price: $22.85
18 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is WAY overpriced., April 8, 2009
I don't understnad how these sellers are charging almost twice as much for used copies of this book as StewMac is charging for brand new copies.. Seems bizarre.. Get it together, Amazon!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2011 6:47 PM PST

Substance D
Substance D
Price: $19.12
40 used & new from $0.73

4.0 out of 5 stars maybe not his best, but still pretty awesome., June 2, 2008
This review is from: Substance D (Audio CD)
So this isn't my favorite of all Dieselboy's commercial mixes (that would still be the Sixth Session..) but it's pretty awesome all the same. Good tracks, good mixes, and to this day I swear that when he's half asleep Damien still mixes better than more than half of the competition.

Worth the purchase for the 2nd CD alone, as per usual.

An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life
An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life
by Dalai Lama
291 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars changed my life, October 3, 2007
This book was given to me as a Christmas present from my mother in 2000. The following February, before I had a chance to read it, she passed away due to complications caused by both Bechets Disease and Multiple Sclerosis. About a month after that, still reeling in grief, I finally decided to make time for this book, and I'm so glad that I did. It almost single handedly helped me process my grief and all the other emotions I was going through at the time. My perspective on life has not been the same since.

I'm not a Buddhist (nor do I consider myself a member of any organized religion) but I am a very spiritual person and I feel closer to Buddhism than any other religions. What's great about this book, and other books by his holiness that I have read since, is that he presents his ideas in multiple ways that can be understood within the context of almost any religion/spirituality/faith/belief system. His writing can appeal to anyone who's part of the global human family.

It's a great book, and it's short/to the point. I can't recommend it enough to everyone out there.