Profile for THockensmith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

THockensmith RSS Feed

HORI Nintendo 3DS XL Hard Pouch - Black
HORI Nintendo 3DS XL Hard Pouch - Black
Price: $14.99
8 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3DS XL Case, December 23, 2012
This case is great for the 3DS XL. It fits the 3DS XL and game cards with no problems, it has slots for 3 cards. It is a little bulky but I believe this is due to it being a hard pouch. It doesn't have give which is good for protecting the 3DS XL, but not something that my wife would want me to keep in her purse. For a backpack or other bag this case is perfect to protect the 3DS XL. I only gave 4 out of 5 as I can't give 4.5 out of 5. The bulkiness is something to consider if you aren't looking for this durable/hard type of case. Overall, Love it.

Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet - With built in Multi-Angle Stand (GREEN)
Offered by Prestige Milano

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case, December 23, 2012
I gave this case 4 stars as it appears the magnetic awake doesn't always work. but this might be an Android thing as if I lock the tablet with the switch is when it mostly doesn't auto awake. otherwise perfect fit, durable, lightweight and green for Android.

Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens (OLD MODEL)
Offered by 6ave
Price: $405.00
138 used & new from $279.95

4.0 out of 5 stars First time DSLR buyer., December 11, 2010
This is my first time buying a Digital SLR. I have mainly used point and shoot cameras in the past and have always had fun taking pictures. I wanted to start digital photography as a hobby so I decided to buy a nicer camera. After reading many reviews and comparisons I decided on this camera as it is the update to the Nikon D3000 that a friend of mine has. They love their camera so I figured this was a good choice. Unfortunately I have not learned enough to take many pictures off of Auto mode, so it acts like a point and shoot. Compared to my Kodak point and shoot the pictures are great. I love this camera as it does a good job of taking pictures and is not very heavy. It looks like it should be, but does not feel like it is. It appears to be a very sturdy camera.

Nikon suggests certain memory cards that they certified to use with this camera. Most of these for an 8GB card are $50 or more. I purchased two Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10) from Amazon and so far these have been amazing. I have the camera saving in both RAW and JPEG until I can get familiar enough to switch completely to RAW. Saving in this format is 20MB a picture and this card has no trouble keeping up.

As a first time Digital SLR buyer and user I love this camera and would highly recommend it to others. We took about 300 pictures at a Thanksgiving get together and a few other people tried the camera out and were impressed as well.

I am not a professional so please don't take my opinion as someone acting as an authority on this subject, but as a first time user I am happy and hope my review will help any other first time digital camera fans out there. Thanks.

Nikon D3000-D5000 DSLR Starter Kit  with Nikon School DVD Fast, Fun and Easy III / IV and D-SLR System Case
Nikon D3000-D5000 DSLR Starter Kit with Nikon School DVD Fast, Fun and Easy III / IV and D-SLR System Case
Price: $49.95
6 used & new from $22.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Start Kit and Nikon D3100, December 11, 2010
I recently purchased a Nikon D3100 DSLR and this case was suggested for me by Amazon. I had also purchased the 55-200mm lens as a second to use with the Nikon D3100. A friend of mine has the same case and a Nikon D3000 with the same 55-200mm lens. He is able to fit everything in it, although it deems it "snug". So I thought it would work for the Nikon D3100. I did not feel comfortable putting the camera and two lenses in this bag. I felt it too cramped and was worried about the camera/lenses.

I was hoping to store my old point and shoot camera with my new Nikon as well. This would definitely not fit with the new Nikon and lenses. This is very much a starter bag and limited to mainly a camera and lens. Since I never opened the DVD, because I returned the item, I can not comment on this part of the kit.

My final decision was to return this bag and invest the money into a nicer bag. I decided on the Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW which is a mini backpack. However this is able to hold my camera with the 18-55mm lens attached, the 55-200mm lens, my point and shoot camera, spare battery for the Nikon, the battery chargers for both cameras, and my flip. It is a well designed bag with plenty of room and has a cover in case you are caught in bad weather.

I hope this review will help those looking to protect their new investment like I was. Thanks.