Profile for D. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 208

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Johnson "Chi-Town Dale" RSS Feed (Lombard, IL USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Norton Small Business - 5 Device
Norton Small Business - 5 Device
Price: $65.34
5 used & new from $61.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Clock Starts Too Soon, October 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is fine security software. It works well, finds Trojans very efficiently and now has PASSWORD protection capabilities that allow me to eliminate another level of software and save the costs for that additional protection.
There is one MAJOR flaw that costs two stars on this software and one minor problem that wouldn't cost any stars, just a minor irritation.
The major flaw is that the clock starts ticking for ALL FIVE licenses the moment you install this software on the first computer.
This isn't a problem if you have computers to activate the software on at the same time.
In my case I have 3 computers and plan to install 2 more within 6 months. But with all 5 licenses ticking down from day one, I end up losing coverage for 6 months on two of my future computers.
This shouldn't be. I understand that in theory if you only started one computer at a time because you only had a single computer that you would be able to have 5 years worth of protection for a fraction of the cost of a normal license.
But there has to be a happy medium between these two extremes.
The minor irritant is that the install procedures are a bit clumsy. Not as bad as some but it could be smoother than it is.

Wahl 9867-300 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer
Wahl 9867-300 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for shaping and grooming your facial hair - and even your pate if you wear your hair short, July 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just what I was looking for.
I have had various trimmers before but trimming my beard has always been too free form for my taste. I like to be able to vary the length of the hairs depending upon where on my face and neck they appear.
That was never possible to do right until I tried this item. The adjustable length attachments are just the thing to cut my facial hair to just the right length time after time.
I have read comments that this unit doesn't cut like a shaver. No trimmer I have ever used does. Electric razors are designed to give smooth shaves all the way down to the skin. Trimmers are NOT designed to do this. I have always had to use my shaver after trimming to get smooth skin where I don't want any hair at all and with this unit I still do. Not a big job to do since this trimmer does cut very close to the skin.
So no more free form sculpting disasters for me.

The only negative comment I have at all is that the user guide is virtually useless. If you want to know how the various attachments and heads work you will just have to play with them until you figure out how they work.

You will definitely enjoy grooming your beard with this little number. Enjoy!

Logitech Illuminated Living-Room Wireless Keyboard K830 and Touchpad for Internet-Connected TVs (920-006081)
Price: $79.99
28 used & new from $64.99

3.0 out of 5 stars LOGITECH has done better than this unit, July 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Needs work. The biggest negative it has for me is that there is no way to set the amount of time the keys are lit up. They stay lit for 3-4 seconds and then go out until you press a key or touch the mouse pad. Since I use my keyboard in almost total darkness when watching TV or working on my computer, this is a monumental flaw. There is also no lighting on the mouse pad keys so you have to feel around for those keys or the pad itself.
The keyboard itself is exceptionally heavy for such a small unit yet the keys feel a bit flimsy. Only time will tell if that feeling will go away or not.
There are no folding rear legs like on some keyboards so that you can lay it on a table or desk yet maintain a comfortable finger angle on the keys. I realize that it is meant for use when watching TV so will be used mostly in your lap but it still would be nice to have some folding rear legs in case you want to use it on a desk or table.
All in all,the wireless feature is very good (I have been using the LOGITECH consolidated wireless feature for a long time without any problems so this is just another unit for it to control) but work needs to be done on adding options for control of illumination duration and adding illumination to at least the left/right mouse pad keys. Right now I am typing using this keyboard and the mouse pad area looks like a big black void with only the three volume keys at the top glowing.

Some may say that the short illumination duration is meant to minimize the number of times and length of time you have to recharge but I feel that it should be my choice if I want the keys to glow longer and pay for that with more frequent charging.
I guess it is a matter of taste. The idea of finger proximity that is used in other LOGITECH keyboards would be another option to make the illumination more user friendly. I would take that if setting glow length of time is not a viable option.

Fancy Feast Wet Cat Food, Gravy Lovers, Poultry & Beef Variety Pack, 3-Ounce Can, Pack of 24
Price: $12.99
27 used & new from $11.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Gobbles Evert Bit of It, June 18, 2014
The only complaint I have about this cat food is that our cat gobbles it all up in less than a day and then cries for more. We only give him one can a day and he stands guard over the kitchen until dinner is served. No other cat food we have tried has this effect upon him. With some brands, he won't even finish the bowl. With this this food, the bowl is EMPTY EVERY DAY!

CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra
CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra
Price: Click here to see our price
34 used & new from $47.93

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT The Best DVD Software Around, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am hard pressed to even give this software 3 stars but they don't allow half stars.

While this program does do what it claims to do and is fairly easy to use, its negatives outweigh them by far.

As a complex software system, there is NO EXCUS for not providing LIVE support personnel since many of the people who would use this software are fairly computer illiterate.

Second is that installation of this software automatically changes the file associations of all photo and video files. I NEVER allow any software to change even a single association unless I give it permission to do so. NEVER.

To tell customers that your software screwed up all of their associations and it I up to them to go back and fix the damage is beyond belief. In over 25 years of Software Support I have NEVER told a customer that it's their job to repair damage done by my company's software. I would have probably been rightfully fired had I done so.

The EOL policies are for each potential customer to decide for themselves so long as they are aware of the rules the software will operate upon.

While this software does do a fine job in presenting Blu-Ray DVD disks, I kind of agree with the person who said that it may be cheaper and wiser to buy a good Blu-Ray machine on sale and not have to worry bout EOL issues at all.

If you are viewing movies at home, I would opt for a machine but if you want to view on the go or at the office (don't let the boss catch you) then PowerDVD is probably for you though I doubt that your boss will appreciate all of the company's files automatically being associated with YOUR PowerDVD program!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 10:13 AM PDT

Cake Boss Stainless Steel Tools Collection 5-Piece Kitchen Prep Tool Set, Red
Cake Boss Stainless Steel Tools Collection 5-Piece Kitchen Prep Tool Set, Red
Price: $26.40
10 used & new from $26.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Utensils with Comfortable Handles, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really didn't expect much from these utensils since they are just spoons, turners and servers.

I never heard of Cake Boss so didn't know how well made they were. I was well surprised at how comfortable the handles were. Our current utensils have hard plastic handles which make them hard to use for very long and slippery when wet or they get any oil or grease on them. That is definitely not a problem with these utensils.

I find the serrated edge on the cake/pie server handy since it saves one additional item to clean, a knife to cut the pie or cake. Nifty idea.

My daughter does a lot of cooking with a little cupcake business she ha on the side and she is begging me o buy a set for her. That takes care of one BD present.

Next I plan to buy the set with the Balloon Whisk and Double Pastry Cutter since my whisk has given up the ghost.

As to comments on extensive Logos, since I don't plan to display these tools it doesn't matter at all to me. As long as the tools are quality constructed, that is all that matters.

Hamilton Beach 84241R Grillstation 4-Burner Gas Grill with Side Burner
Hamilton Beach 84241R Grillstation 4-Burner Gas Grill with Side Burner
Price: $399.99
2 used & new from $399.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit heavy but big and well built, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First I want to address the negative reviews on this product. The complaint that the bottom rusted out in 1 1/2 years is because it was left out in the elements. The instrctions clearly state that it should be stored in a dry place when not in use.

I've had mine on my balcony for over three weeks now and we have had rain almost every day, flash flooding and such. It is a covered balcony so no rain hits the unit so I have no fear of rusting. My wife is going to purchase a cover since our balcony faces East and on rare occasion rain blows in from the East.

The only negatives I've seen that costs it a star are that it is a complex device to assemble. It weighs about 150 lbs and took me 3 days to put together.
The other negative is that much of it is made from large sheets of sheet metal. This causes dents and bent sections. While this doesn't detract from the appearance of the BBQ it made assmbly much more difficult to achieve. While these dented pieces were not damaged enough to warrent sending theme back and getting replacements it still was an irritation.

As to the unit itself, having four burners with a built in thermometer makes cooking much easier than before. The side burner, which is covered when not in use is really handy for boiling corn or potatoes before putting them onto the grill.

The smoke tray is another nifty addition. You can go to your local hardware sore and buy some wood chips, soak them in water, place them into the tray and poof you have that smokey flavor added to your meat.
Simple as pie.

SO if you don't mind the assembly time, this is the BBQ for you.

Pet Zone EZ Scoop No Touch Cat Litter Box
Pet Zone EZ Scoop No Touch Cat Litter Box
Price: $41.99
7 used & new from $41.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be Better, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a bit disappointed in this product. While the concept is good, "touchless" cleaning of Litter Box, the reality is not achieved.
The three problems I have found with this product in priority order were:
1) The "sweep's" tines are spaced too wide. This allows smaller pieces of feces to remain in the box after sweeping even when swept multiple times. I currrently have a Litter box that has it's tines half as wide as these are and it gets almost all bits of feces ecept those half the size of a raisin or smaller.
2) The strength of the sweep is not enough to clean the litter in a simgle sweep. If you try, the sweep mechanism will flex down under the weight. This causes me to have to do partial sweeps until all of the litter has been able to pass through the sweep.
I don't let the cleaning to go so long as to build up excessive amounts of material to lift. In fact, after 3-4 sweeps there is not enough material to fill the bag to be disposed of.
3) The carbon filter is so small that it does't come close to eliminating odor.
It is only about 1 1/2 by 3-3 1/2 inches which isn't close to enough carob filtering to eliminate odor.

Minor iritants which didn't lose it any stars is the bagging mechanism design. In essence, you place the bag over the tray that captures the soiled litter. When ready to get rid of it you have to TURN THE BAG INSIDE OUT so the soiled material remains in the bag. A better idea would have been to make the tray not have huge holes in it and then just lift it out and pour the soiled material into the bag.
That is what my previous litter box has.

The reason I wanted to try this box is that my other one is cleaned by "rolling" it almost 180 degrees. This causes the litter to be fitlered into a container at the side of the box and the soiled material falls to the side and whe turned back upright the soiled material falls into a removable capure drawer.
Then just turn it further a bout 90 degrees in the other direction and the unsoiled litter comes back out and into the box.

The reason I wanted this one to work better is that while the other box works easier, it is a pain removing all of the stuff that gets piled on top of the box, hauling it out of the corner and then being able to roll it so you can clean it. In our small apartment that can be a pain to do. If you are in a house with a basement you wouldn't have to do that since you would have plenty of room to store things without piling them on top of the litter box.

If you are puzzled, my other box is an enclose one so you can stack things on top of it.

I didn't count the lack of privacy against this box since it never said it wasn't a covered box. So I just adapted the cover from my other box to sit on top of this box and this gives our cat his privacy just as to other box did.

So if they would fix primarily the first two issues, I would be able to give it 5 stars but without them, I found it hard even to give it 3 stars.
It will work for you if you have limited space but it won't do a thorough a job as it could if it had the improvements I mentioned. None of the first two would raise the cost of the product by more than a couple of dollars. Infact, if they used plastic instead of metal, the sweep could actually be cheaper to make than the metal one they are using and be able to lift heavier amounts of soiled materials.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X7
Corel VideoStudio Pro X7
Price: $26.54
37 used & new from $26.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Corel Still Won't Give ou te Freedom to Customize Menus, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Another step forward and a half step back.
The negatives are the same ones as with their photo editing products and a few new wrinkles for fun.
The wrinkles, it doesn't work with the most current version of Quicktime. This isn't a big deal for testing the product out but serious users of Quicktime won't be happy going back to an earlier version!
My biggest complaint is the same one I have with their photo editing products. Limited ability to built custom menus for the most used commands. When editing photos or movies, often you use a handful of commands frequently and the more exotic commands rarely. Why can't Corel let me build menus with just workaday commands? In their photo exiting software they claim you can have the most frequently used commands rise to the top of the menu. Not true. Commands a use dozens of time a day still are in the massive menus and almost useless commands are on the top of the menu list. Same here.
This costs hours of wasted time for serious editors.
The main problem with Corel products is they have too many products and the groups responsible for these divisions don't seem to talk to each other. Corel products are excellent editing programs. If they straighten out their tools they would have a world class editing system. Until then we will have to muddle along in a Pentagon like maze while what they are trying to edit gets more and more complex.
I chuckled when reading another review which said that Corel never heard of Green Screen. That isn't true because I own an earlier Corel video editing program and they even INCLUDED a green screen cloth in the box with the product!

Claritin CAP531-U True HEPA Permanent Filter Tower Air Purifier, 30-Inch, White
Claritin CAP531-U True HEPA Permanent Filter Tower Air Purifier, 30-Inch, White
Price: $120.73
6 used & new from $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good HEPA Filter, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last month I reviewed the Vornado AC300 True HEPA Air Purifier. This filter compares pretty well with that one.
On the plus side, this filter is much quieter. It is so quite that on the low setting, I can't hear it operating standing right next to it. So it is more appropriate for use in the bedroom.
The Vornado is much louder but the reason is that it moves a much larger volume of air. So it is more appropriate for living rooms and dens where the need to filter large volumes of air is required.
The second negative for this filter is that it is massively larger. It is more than twice as large as the other. This helps move more air quitter but still not as much as the Vornado does. I give this 4 stars because the lower air moving ability is offset by its quite operation. Again, if you are looking for a whole room filter for your bedroom or any other room needing quite operation and you have the space for it, you will be happy with this filter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20