Profile for Irwin H. Moss > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Irwin H. Moss "Moose" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, Ca. USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Schnabel & Rodzinsky: A Mozat Festival
Schnabel & Rodzinsky: A Mozat Festival
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend only to those who like me have a personal ..., April 25, 2015
I think this of historical or personal meaning now. I am a long time fan of Rodzinski, but these performances are not at all what I am used to. I have by now heard all too many performances of these works, and as mere listening pleasure they do not measure up to other and later recordings/performances. I would recommend only to those who like me have a personal or historical interest. If you are a musician looking for style technique and the like I am not your best source. At worst, try it out for yourselves; it would hardly hurt or be offensive. For me Schnabel/Sargent Beethoven Con's are more meaningful. For the piano con's I prefer Uchida/Tate or Curzon/Britten, among others. For the Symph's I prefer Szell/Cleveland.

Tchaikovsky: 1812 Festival Overture, Capriccio Italien / Beethoven: Wellington's Victory
Price: $10.52
85 used & new from $0.72

4.0 out of 5 stars I would rate it Good +. Not top line Merc Presence compared to ..., April 16, 2015
I would rate it Good +. Not top line Merc Presence compared to the many I have purchased over the years. Sound is "less than," as is the performance compared to far too many competitors. Gave it the rating I did "...for old times' sake."

Keeping Time
Keeping Time
Price: $16.33
23 used & new from $2.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with the vendor, April 16, 2015
This review is from: Keeping Time (Audio CD)
Interesting and certainly above novelty level but I am tiring of gender themes these days. Play the damn music! Recording/production appear first rate. Very satisfied with the vendor.

Orchestral Works
Orchestral Works
Price: $17.86
34 used & new from $1.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recording/production. Still unsure of the music, April 16, 2015
This review is from: Orchestral Works (Audio CD)
Excellent recording/production. Still unsure of the music, although I am taken a bit with the Piano Conc. Very satisfied with the vendor.

Mahler: Symphony No.2 "Resurrection"
Mahler: Symphony No.2 "Resurrection"
6 used & new from $7.79

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of my money, January 25, 2015
Disappointing hardly describes my reaction and feelings. Bluntly put this is hardly in the class of many other "Resurrections," non-competitive is not strong enough language. Don't buy it. Sluggish kallelmeister conducting, tinny sound and an orchestra too thin to handle Mahler. A waste of my money. I will never play it again. I won't even pay the postage to sell it. Dreadful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2015 5:04 PM PDT

Careless in Red (Inspector Lynley Book 16)
Careless in Red (Inspector Lynley Book 16)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.50

1.0 out of 5 stars I agree with almost everything already said in the negative ..., November 29, 2014
I agree with almost everything already said in the negative reviews. I too have been a fan of hers from her first. I think Well Schooled in Murder is *****. "Careless..." is in my view an over self-indulgent trek that abounds of arrogance much less indifference to her readers. I tried skipping the chapters where Lynley was not present hoping to find a thread to follow or lead me on, and yet again she interrupts (cross-cutting) with sheer over-writing boredom. Moreover since these chapters are usually in the pov of the ubiquitous narrator how does Lynley "discover" his needed information. Bea Hannaford is a stereotypical insufferable bore. With 500+ pages ahead, staring at me, I chose to look out into the blackness of the night heading for LAX from Boston's Logan.

Koussevitzky Conducts American Music
Koussevitzky Conducts American Music
23 used & new from $5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Peculiar error in 1st review., November 4, 2014
Of course this isn't "Five Stars," by reason of the original recordings and subsequent transfers. It is five stars by reason of its historic significance in my opinion only. I can quibble with the skimpy liner notes, but won't for my reasons already stated.

I am annoyed that nowhere in the liner notes or anywhere else on the package are we told the date of the release of this CD. Weird. I went of course to Google to find the release date, 1993.

I write however for none of those reasons. i write because of the first review posted here, which says in part, "... I liked the whole CD from Copland`s A.Spring to Sousa`s famous Stars and Stars March."

What disc is he (she) referring to? Neither "A. Spring" nor "Stars and Starts March" appear on the disc I own or described in the recording.

Artist Profile - Efrem Kurtz
Artist Profile - Efrem Kurtz
Price: $33.56
15 used & new from $14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Efrem Kurtz, Top of the Game., November 2, 2014
I am a longtime fan of Kurtz, so I admit/disclose my bias, delicious as it is. I would say this is a "must" for fans such as I, and recommended to those who might want an alternative or even a first-time buy. Whether its "Gaite Parisienne", "Gayne," or Shostakovitch 10 you get a first rate performance and production. His Kabalevsky, "Comedians" was the first I had heard, and it stands up today with any that follow. All in my less than humble opinion. This guy has given me hours of pleasure for which I am very happy and grateful.

Symphonies 1 & 4
Symphonies 1 & 4
22 used & new from $3.64

5.0 out of 5 stars A Baseline For Excellence., June 22, 2014
This review is from: Symphonies 1 & 4 (Audio CD)
I am not about to review Sibelius' music, other than to say I have been listening him for over 50 years. Maazel's 1st is my favorite since I first heard his LP with the same forces, He gets it right, crisp and sharp where it is required, musky and brooding as called for. Impressionist, at least for me. Highly recommended.

I have never cared much for the 4th.

Dangerous Sex: Three Stories
Dangerous Sex: Three Stories
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Sex Not So Dangerous, January 9, 2014
Let me start by saying I thought her "Miami Purity" is first class. I had some quarrels with it, but overall I would recommend it.

"Dangerous" is another matter. It ain't. I found it bland as to erotica and dull derivative as to stories. She is far better than this book shows. Skip it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2014 8:03 PM PST