Profile for Philippians4:13 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Philippians4:13 RSS Feed (Paxton, MA USA)

Mr. Coffee ECMP50 Espresso/Cappuccino Maker, Black
Mr. Coffee ECMP50 Espresso/Cappuccino Maker, Black
Price: $81.99
8 used & new from $73.79

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cappuccino for few $$$, January 10, 2009
Don't listen to the coffee snobs who say you need to spend hundreds (or more) for a good cappuccino machine! I didn't get a machine for a long time because I figured they would be too complicated to use, time-consuming to clean, and the inexpensive ones would make lousy cappuccino. But Starbucks gets expensive, so when I saw this one on sale for $59.99 I figured all it needed to do was make 20 decent drinks to pay for itself. It has done that in a couple of weeks! Following the instructions, it's very easy to use, cleaning is also quick and easy, and the cappuccinos and lattees come out great. It's a huge plus that you can use regular coffee mugs, so who cares that it doesn't come with little espresso cups? The ONLY negative is that it really should have come with a milk frothing pitcher, but I picked up an 8-oz. one at the supermarket for $1.99 and it works fine. If you are on the fence about whether or not to take the plunge on an inexpensive espresso/cappuccino maker, buy this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

Cuisinart TTG-500 Two-to-Go Coffeemaker
Cuisinart TTG-500 Two-to-Go Coffeemaker
2 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars convenient and reliable little coffeemaker, November 22, 2008
We've had this coffeemaker for about 10 years and use it daily (more than once, often several times) and it is still going strong! It's great for having fresh coffee at any time. My husband will not drink coffee that's been sitting around on a hotplate, and since we drink different types of coffee, this machine is great because we just make it separately. We do have a smaller one-cup coffeemaker, but since we use travel mugs a lot we prefer this one. Our regular coffeemaker gets used only when we have company.

I was surprised by all the negative reviews as our on-off button has never been a problem, we've brewed coffee into all kinds of mugs and cups without difficulty, and it always comes out tasting good. However, I can't comment on the uneven distribution of coffee between two cups since we tend to make one at a time. If that happened you'd have to be there during brewing and remove the cup that filled first and push the other to the center, which would be inconvenient.

For our purposes, this coffeemaker is great.

Cuisinart DLC-4CHB Mini-Prep Plus 4-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Cuisinart DLC-4CHB Mini-Prep Plus 4-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Price: $42.99
28 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars blends well, but a bit wimpy, November 22, 2008
The mini-prep does a great job of blending small amounts of food and takes up very little counter space. I've used it to make pesto and hummus, and to blend a flaxseed oil and cottage cheese mixture with berries (sometimes partially frozen), and for the most part it just chugs along and processes really well. But it does bog down sometimes and just stop if you fill it more than about half full, and I've had to dig out some of the blended stuff and let it work on the rest, so the motor may be a bit underpowered. The plastic of the work bowl is also pretty thin; I worry about it breaking and can't just toss it in the sink with everything else. But on the whole, it's a great little machine for small jobs. It's a nice-looking little appliance too, with the shiny stainless steel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2011 6:05 PM PST

Rival IB954W Ultrablend 2-Speed Handheld Immersion Blender
Rival IB954W Ultrablend 2-Speed Handheld Immersion Blender

4.0 out of 5 stars Good at mixing, but a little awkward, November 22, 2008
I agree with all the reviews that praise this little appliance's ability to blend, but find it a little cumbersome. I used it daily for a few weeks to mix flaxseed oil and cottage cheese into a yogurt-like consistency (takes a couple minutes to get them really blended with no oiliness remaining), and then blend in berries and other fruit. I find the handle kind of big and uncomfortable to hold, and the whole thing a bit heavy if you need to mix for more than a few seconds. It was also NOT easy cleaning this sludge out of the blades after mixing. I've switched to a small food processor to make this concoction now. However, for other uses, these things weren't an issue and the blender works great.

As far as storage goes, the blender is very top-heavy and with the cord coming out the top, I find that if I just stand it on the counter it tends to fall over easily. A small stand or wall-hanger would be great, but it didn't come with one.

Thea's Parrot
Thea's Parrot
by Marcia Willett
40 used & new from $0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Same book as "A Friend of the Family", September 18, 2008
This review is from: Thea's Parrot (Paperback)
As always, Marcia Willett's book is a cozy read with wonderful characters, and it evokes a great sense of place. Be aware though, that this is the original title of the book released in the U.S. as "A Friend of the Family." I don't know why publishers change the titles when they publish books in other countries; people like me end up with duplicate books under different titles! Maddening!