Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Kids Halloween
Profile for R. R. Garcia > Reviews

R. R. Garcia's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. R. Garcia "Rob" RSS Feed (Fort Lauderdale, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
GE 45610WB Z-Wave Add On Auxiliary Switch
GE 45610WB Z-Wave Add On Auxiliary Switch
Offered by Smart Home SD
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product., November 5, 2014
Excellent product and a must have for three way and 4 way installations. It has a very peculiar click to on and off. It is great because it removes the problem that all the rocker switches have on three way setup. On could be pressing the up or down button depending on where you clicked last. This removes that issue. Pressing the up button is always on and pressing the down button is always down.

Jasco 45609 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control On/Off Switch 6-pack
Jasco 45609 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control On/Off Switch 6-pack
Offered by Smart Home SD
Price: $234.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product- Will buy more, November 5, 2014
Excellent switches. Easy to install with SmartThings. I will buy more for the rest of the house. Great price too.

Silicone Baking Mat Set (2) Standard Half Sheet - New! With Rounded Corners - Professional Grade Non Stick Baking Cookie Sheet
Offered by KITZINI
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for Baking, November 5, 2014
Excellent product. Totally non-stick. Super easy to clean. Will buy again. It is a must to avoid buying tons of parchment paper.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 1:35 AM PST

Lutron MIR-600THW-WH 600-Watt Maestro IR Dimmer with Infrared Receiver, White
Lutron MIR-600THW-WH 600-Watt Maestro IR Dimmer with Infrared Receiver, White
Price: $39.97
32 used & new from $23.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and it Works!, February 27, 2013
It took me 10 minutes to set up after I shut off the power to the switch. The remote doesn't need pairing, works out of the box. I've done electrical projects around the house before and this one has been so far the easiest one to do.

I did make the mistake of ordering it in white and the other switches in my bedroom are ivory. Keep that in mind when you order.
I didn't care because I eventually want to make them all white and start getting rid of the ivory color. I can't stand it.

The remote uses 3 AAA batteries, as easy to replace as any remote.

Great product. I will be ordering more of these in the future.

Cisco Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N WiFi Range Extender (Certified Refurbished)
Cisco Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N WiFi Range Extender (Certified Refurbished)
Offered by Electronica Direct
Price: $44.95
4 used & new from $38.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Works!, February 19, 2013
I had hear a lot of horror stories about extenders and repeater that didn't work. I was looking for a solution that would make my life easy and avoid the arduous task of running wire from one end of my house to the other. This little gizmo has been a life saver. I am getting full signal strength throughout my house in areas that prior to installing this were just one bar areas at times and others dead spots.

My wife works from home some days and uses our home office which happens to be at the opposite end of the house where I keep my router. She regularly engages in meetings and international video conferences that last, in some cases, hours. This device just facilitates that. I get no more complaints from her about signal drops or disconnected sessions. I own the Belkin N-600 and it works beautifully with this extender. I now have the same download speeds on wireless computers going through the extender as I have on the ones going through the router wirelessly also.

I own a Drobo 5N and that is strictly an ethernet/network storage system. No USB, Firewire or SATA. I am forced to go through ethernet or wifi to store data on it. This extender works great with it. I have every computer in the house backing up over the air to this NAS (Networked Area Storage) and the extender multiplies my network signal with no hickups.

I also store all our movies and basically, our entire iTunes library with movies, podcasts, music, etc. We use Apple TV's through out the house and the rooms that this extender services now have uninterrupted streaming with the native sound and video quality.

Oh, did I mention that it supports b/g and n. I have two networks in my house. I use the N network for big data transfers and video and the b/g for low bandwidth stuff like: FaceBook, internet surfing, etc.

I am very pleased with the performance of this extender. I have already recommended it and my father-in-law now owns one too.

Speedlite YN560 Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus Cameras
Speedlite YN560 Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus Cameras
5 used & new from $43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my Expectations, March 28, 2012
This unit is very inexpensive and provides another source of light in a very affordable package.

I just got done testing in in all the modes and I am impressed about the slave's sensitivity. I do not intend to use this on camera but I still tried it. I tested it on my D7000 and it works well in manual mode. I didn't try TTL just because I do not intend to use it that way. I will leave that task to my other Nikon SB units if need be.

I do real estate photography (amongst other things) and I was looking for a unit to help me light distant rooms in my compositions without breaking the bank. This light does just that. It has the same power levels than the Nikon Flagship SB-910, the zoom goes to 120mm but it could be longer. I am used to the 200mm in the SB-900 and SB-910 now (spoiled). I own an SB-900, SB-800, SB-700 and an SU-800. I use the Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) constantly and this flash unit can supplement this set up. It does not talk to the camera to figure out flash exposure but it will fire the flash in slave mode without being bothered by the TTL pre-flashes. That is just plain awesome. I am considering purchasing a few more to add to my bag-o-lites.

I also tested it using the Yongnuo RF-603N wireless flash trigger. It works flawlessly. I sometimes just put a radio in one light and fire the rest in slave mode, this flash can just join the party of lights without a hiccup.

The indicators in the back of the unit are not the most intuitive but with a little practice you will be just fine. It also sports several minute adjustments between the main flash power levels. I honestly didn't see that much of a difference in a quick test. I didn't put my flash meter to it because I honestly don't need that minute precision. I just move the light closer or farther before fumbling with menus risking messing the closely guarded flash output level to a whole new power and end up having to meter all over again. Portrait clients get get anxious when you fumble with gear for too long and it can make a real estate session that much longer.

It comes in a velvet pouch without padding so have a better cover or bag in mind before purchasing. This was not a big deal for me because I have a camera bag just for lights. It comes with a stand threaded in the bottom to use by itself or with a light stand. It also has a WAD (wide area diffuser) built in and a bounce card just like the Nikon speedlights.

I wouldn't recommend it for the first speedlight you ever buy. You better save a little more and get a Nikon SB-700 or 600 (discontinued, you can find them on eBay) so you can use all the features that your new digital camera has to offer.

To wrap it up, this is a very good price for a supplemental light or background light.

Fenix TK35 High Performance 860 Lumen Flashlight
Fenix TK35 High Performance 860 Lumen Flashlight
Offered by EdisonBright®
Price: $87.99
19 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, September 2, 2011
Excellent light. A very powerful choice for applications where you need a little more throw to illuminate objects at a distance. It also provided enough spill to keep your periphery illuminated to walk safely and identify objects or obstructions in your immediate area.

Comes with a spare O ring, lanyard and nylon holster. Very good purchase. I am a big fan of Surefire but their prices keep going up and the economy down.

This is my second Fenix light, I previously purchased the TK 12 and so far I am a return customer. I am very pleased with the performance and I have not had to deal with customer service yet for any reason. That speaks about reliability.

Happy customer here!

Interfit INT128 Strobies Adjustable Flash Shoe Mount with 1/4-Inch-20 Thread
Interfit INT128 Strobies Adjustable Flash Shoe Mount with 1/4-Inch-20 Thread
Price: $8.93
3 used & new from $8.47

5.0 out of 5 stars It Clamps it Tight, July 24, 2011
This is not going to be a long winded review. Its a fairly simple product and it does a very simple job. It grabs your flash.
I have currently used this with Nikon Speedlights: SB-700, SB-800, SB-900. The clamp has a good range on the knob which allows a small and large hot-shoes to fit the mount. I used it for my lighter SB-700 and it worked faithfully for an entire afternoon worth of studio work. It never loosened up and the flash didn't slide forward or back at any time. That's good enough for what I need.

Yongnuo RF-603 N3 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Nikon D90/D3100/D5000/D7000
Offered by alva llc
Price: $30.00
28 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 5, 2011
Let me start by saying that this product works just like the manufacturer says it does.

This is an affordable solution for those of you looking to trigger your camera remotely using a radio transmitter or fire off strobes, speedlights and/or flashes with a wireless transmitter.

This units a transceivers, which means they can act as transmitter or receiver.

One thing to keep in mind. I have tested this using a Nikon D7000 and a Nikon D90. I tested each camera independently with the following speedlights: Nikon SB-700, SB-800, SB-900. The speedlights fired every time. I also fired the camera remotely using the same setup.

I put one on the hot-shoe in the camera and another in the speedlight as normal. The funny thing is that if you connect the supplied wire from the camera to the transceiver when you press the shutter in the camera it fires the speedlight and vice versa. When you press the test button in the transceiver attached to the speedlight it fires the camera and the speedlight, you can't ask for more on this price range.

This setup is not TTL. You have no wireless control about the speedlight power from the camera. You have to set your speedlight to manual mode and adjust the power setting to whatever you need. This will fire the speedlight in sync to the highest sync speed of your camera. In the Nikon D7000 is 1/250, faster than that and you will get the expected black bar on the bottom of the frame if you are framed horizontally. That also means, of course, that it doesn't support FP High Speed Sync. All things I can live with because when I need one I typically don't need the other. I am still using the Nikon CLS but its nice to have this kind of range and capability if you need it for this price.

If you absolutely need this feature, go see Pocket Wizard they have your solution for $219-$199 a pop.

I got six of this puppies for all my speedlights and both my cameras. You can't beat it for the price.

If you are contemplating the possibility of buying one, go right ahead, you won't feel bad about it.

This is an awesome price for these capabilities. You have a PC connection and that gives you extra flexibility in case you want to hook them up to a strobe.

April 27, 2012 Update.
Hello all, this is an update to add a few things. These transceivers are still working great.

I have purchased the more advanced Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 flash triggers to my bag-o-tricks. I purchased three of them for now. I am not writing this here to brag but to tell you how you can still use these Yongnuo RF-603's along with the PW stuff.

**Why in the world would he want to do that? I know right, crazy talk? Keep reading!**

The PW Flex TT5 system has a drawback that has been well identified through out the several training videos in their website and others. The Flex system is not able to trigger the camera remotely while maintaining TTL communication between camera and flashes faster than one frame every two seconds. That may not be a problem for most people but I always try to work around tech problems even if they don't affect me now that way I have an answer for when it bites me in the future.

The way I did it was assembling the PW with camera and flashes as PW recommends and then when all of that was done and all gizmos were talking to each other I proceeded to hook up the Yongnuo receiver to the camera via the GPS port as usual. I left it dangling from the camera and used another Yongnuo transceiver to trigger. It worked flawlessly. It was triggering as fast as I wanted with no noticeable delays. Notice that I never hooked up the Yongnuo gear with the PW gear. They only way the Yongnuo transceiver is hooked up to the camera is by the N3 cable as recommended by Yongnuo. This way you have radio TTL remote flash triggering along with radio camera triggering.

Anyone worried about RF interference? Its a valid concern. I looked at both operating frequencies and the PW (FCC- USA Version) operates between 340-354 MHz, the Yongnuo RF-603 operates at 2.4 GHz. The amount of space in the RF spectrum is so far apart that unless the devices are physically touching each other, there should not be any interference or frequency drift. (This is my opinion and experience, this information has not been professionally tested in a lab under controlled conditons).

Benefits from this setup:
-Mainly, NO delay between shutter press and camera triggering.
-Radio triggering on both systems, no line of sight issues.
-You leave camera in tripod and flashes in light stands and keep your Yongnuo trigger in your hand while working in a studio or on location. It also means that you don't have to buy an expensive PW radio to just trigger your camera.
-If you drop your Yongnuo trigger and it breaks is about $37 for a pair as opposed to $200 or so for a PW Flex.

I tried this setup with a Nikon D700 and Nikon D7000 along side my speed lights: SB-700, SB-800 and SB-900. I also own Yongnuo YN-560 flashes (about $65 each) and I use them as kickers and trigger them with the built in optical slave. Yes, while all the Nikon flashes fire in TTL. The Yongnuo flashes have two modes for optical (main flash, and M2 where the flash ignores the TTL pre-flash).

Now, this is what I call harmony across my entire camera bag. I don't like bickering inside the camera bag while I sleep at night.

Jan 8, 2013 Update.
Works with the Nikon D600 too.

Comment Comments (45) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 1:15 PM PDT

Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $326.95
36 used & new from $230.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Little Brother, March 22, 2011
One of the best things about the SB-700 is that it is pretty much an SB-900 minus a few things. It has less power than the 900 and it can't Command more than 2 groups of speedlights, you can control group A and B and that's it. It is nice to have full control of all the groups in the shoot but if you absolutely need those three groups individually dialed. Then turn one of them to SU-4 mode and that will let you set it off in synch with all the other flashes but you will have to go to the unit to make the manual power/zoom adjustments. It can be an inconvenience but it will save you the price of another SB-700. If you are in an event where anyone else has any other camera and their flashes are going off keep in mind that any flashes set to SU-4 mode will go off anytime someone else takes a flash picture. That may not mess up your exposures but it will probably mess up their exposures and will surely drain the batteries of those flashes in SU-4 mode quickly.

For those of you who are buying your first flash and just want to make your pictures better by having a dedicated flash. This is a great choice. The SB-900 is more powerful and has a few more features but it is also much bigger and bulkier. I own both. In a few weeks I have a western Caribbean cruise with the family and I am already planning to bring the SB-700 and my D90 with me, my Nikon 18-200 VRII and my Sigma 12-24. There is no way I will bring the SB-900, too big. The SB-700 supports Balanced TTL, High Speed Synch (FP Sync) and its just a well rounded little brother to the SB-900. It includes a diffuser and clip-on Incandescent and Fluorecent Filter equivalent to a full CTO and Full Green Gels. Its very handy to have both of this. They are solid built and you just clip them on to the front of the flash and that's It. No need for velcro or sliding in flimsy gels or anything like that. Oh and did I mention that the SB-700 lets you use the clip-On filter and then put on the diffuser on top. Yeah in this this new generation of speedlights that is possible. An upgrade from the SB-800's.

Overall I will recommend this as a great addition to your Wireless CLS team of flashes or as a dedicated on camera flash with a few limitations that may or may not affect you depending on your needs.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2011 1:31 PM PDT