Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Frank Lynch > Reviews

Browse

Frank Lynch's Profile

Customer Reviews: 190

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Frank Lynch "frank_lynch" RSS Feed (Brooklyn, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Eyck: Der Fluyten Lust-Hof- Complete Recording
Eyck: Der Fluyten Lust-Hof- Complete Recording
Price: $125.39
32 used & new from $60.02

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it., July 17, 2016
Laurin's recording is a monumental achievement. Van Eyck's catalog is comparable to Bach's Well Tempered Clavier, a thorough exploration of what could be accomplished on a recorder (from a 17th C perspective... it's been advanced). The volume is huge. You might imagine boredom as the years go by in recording it, but I don't hear it. Laurin brings his virtuosity to the entire enterprise. Perhaps he intended to leave a recording which would go unchallenged for decades? If so, I think he succeeded.

I also think that listening to him is a must. Just as it's a must to listen to Petri and Bruggen. They all approach attack and decay differently. If you're a dedicated listener to either Petri or Bruggen, you should hear Laurin.

I downloaded the mp3s on this many years ago through eMusic, and am glad to now have it in CD. Please bother to look at sellers who have it for less than what Amazon will fulfill it for.

Iraq Report: The Full Chilcot Report
Iraq Report: The Full Chilcot Report
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The format isn't there for an ereader yet, in my veiw, July 10, 2016
If you want to read this on Kindle, download a sample first and see if you find its format acceptable. While I have seen other government-sourced books from pdfs appear as page-by-page pdfs and difficult to read, this has a different issue. Apparently it was a block copy and paste from a pdf and each line of the document is a separate paragraph. No one went to the pasted version and removed the "hard returns" which are inserted from this sort of copy and paste. Here is an extract:

that have been central to the controversies surrounding Iraq. In addition to the factors

that shaped the decision to take military action in March 2003 without support for an

authorising resolution in the UN Security Council, they are: the asessments of Iraqi

(and so on)

It may look fine on this web page, but it's a bit more off on my Kindle (and my type size choice) because each of those lines wraps into two lines, so it's two lines, an empty line, two lines, an empty line, etc.

OXO Good Grips Salad Dressing Shaker, Black
OXO Good Grips Salad Dressing Shaker, Black
Price: $14.95
16 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars More kudos to OXO, July 2, 2016
OXO does it again with a simple, well designed product. It's a two part canister which you unscrew at the black band to add your dressing ingredients, and there are lines on the side so you can measure as you add. The flip-stopper in the spout gives a tight seal when you want to shake, and the spout doesn't drip. What else to ask?

(I have not tried it yet on a creamy dressing, only vinegar and oil based dressings.)

SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
Offered by SureFlap
Price: $149.99
2 used & new from $148.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So this is why we have chips in our ears!!, July 2, 2016
For us, for our situation (one cat who wolfs down his food, another who nibbles and walks away to leave her leftovers for the wolfer) this is the perfect solution for us. Sure, it's pricy, and there was a little bit of time training the nibbler (3-4 days tops) but since then it's been fantastic. Of course, the wolfer if mystified by the fact that the nibbler can access her food and he can't, but whaddaya gonna do? We consider it tough love for a cat already overweight at one.

Make sure your have 4 C batteries on hand, or get them. You need them.

For us, it responds to the chip in the nibbler's ear. If your cat doesn't have a chip, they provide a metal tag you can put on a collar which has the same effect.

Jean Sibelius: Complete Symphonies [Blu-ray]
Jean Sibelius: Complete Symphonies [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Price: $99.99
20 used & new from $55.82

4.0 out of 5 stars I have very mixed feelings about this set., March 1, 2016
There arte positives and negatives about this set, and while I don't want to dwell on whether or not we need a complete set of Sibelius symphonies on video, if you know his music and think that some of his symphonies don't need this attention, then I recommend you get the Bernstein incomplete set. They got far enough into the cycle (I think) to do you well.

As for this project: I think it will be a while before anyone else decides to do the full Sibelius, so in my view this is where you'll want to put your money. It's doubtful that any future release will be significantly better, as this is very good. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon, and the finer quibbles which people remark on are informative, but it's rare that they matter to my ears.

There is also a positive to this set which I haven't seen in many other classical blue-rays I've bought, and that's an interview with the conductor discussing elements of the symphony. That's a step forward, as is the kind off dress rehearsal which illustrates his points. To me, however, these discussions are kind of superficial; and what I'd love to see in the rehearsal footage is actual dialog between the conductor and the orchestra, with him saying stuff like "here's what I want from you." But my wishes of what they should have done are no more germane than commenting on their choice about doing a complete Sibelius cycle. This was their choice.

One other choice I question (and this one bugs me) is the bloated packaging. There are three discs in this set, and each is in its own separate clam shell. We all know it doesn't have to be that way, they could put three in one. Secondly, the box contains a very thick catalog off other offerings. AND it contains an empty "sub" box to fill up the space of the box they put it all in. Wait, I'm not done! The box for this set has a snug lid which needs to be slowly slid off a close-fitting bottom. It's an exercise in delaying your getting to the music. This doesn't make sense to me by any stretch.

Burns: The Complete Poems (Annotated) (Edinburgh Edition)
Burns: The Complete Poems (Annotated) (Edinburgh Edition)
Price: $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck with getting around in this..., January 24, 2016
No table of contents, so you'll be in for some work if you want to find a specific poem.

Delilah
Delilah
Price: $11.99
54 used & new from $5.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Not since the debut of the Beatles!, December 14, 2015
This review is from: Delilah (Audio CD)
This CD is an entire 32 minutes long. As good as it is, it's tough to feel I got my money's worth. From what I've read this is his "major label" breakthrough release (and the label is behind him, they got him on a national show on CBS). So how do you put out a "breakthrough" release that's only 32 minutes? What must the other material have sounded like?

(I know how it happened with the Beatles; the American releases were deliberately shorter so Capitol could hold material back for other LPs.)

Floating on Land
Floating on Land
Offered by CD Baby
Price: $12.10
12 used & new from $9.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Driving World Music on the hammer dulcimer, November 28, 2015
This review is from: Floating on Land (Audio CD)
You might know Mueller as the hammer dulcimer player in the group Mecca Bodega; and if you've visited New York City you might have seen him playing on the street, or in front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or in the subways (he's one of the musicians the MTA has sanctioned). If you don't know him from any of this, you're in for a treat, because his music drives throughout the CD, with all the sharp attack you would expect from a hammered dulcimer. The music (all instrumentals) are very much in the genre of World Music.

While I think you'll want the entire CD, you might not want to listen to a full hour of it in one sitting, though. Put it in a playlist and wait for it to come around and enliven everything.

Carl Maria von Weber: Missa Sancta No. 1 in E flat; Joseph Haydn: Missa Sanctae Caeciliae [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Rafael Kubelik
Price: $39.99
21 used & new from $17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Two fine performances, but..., October 26, 2015
Two fine performances of works which are difficult to find in a video format. However, I bought the blu-ray version and I'm not sure it merits the extra cost. They were filmed 30 years ago and are in a standard television aspect ratio. You might do just as well with the DVD and save yourself a few bucks.

iPod Dock Connector to USB Cable
iPod Dock Connector to USB Cable
Offered by LUVLY
Price: $7.99
16 used & new from $1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars I suggest you not buy this, mine is shoddy., August 28, 2015
The first time I removed the USB end from my USB port the plastic housing surrounding the electronics separated from the electronics and slid down the cord. No thank you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19