Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Paukenwirbel > Reviews

Browse

Paukenwirbel's Profile

Customer Reviews: 260
Helpful Votes: 2052

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paukenwirbel RSS Feed (the mid-South, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kershaw 3870 Amplitude 2.5 Folding Knife with SpeedSafe
Kershaw 3870 Amplitude 2.5 Folding Knife with SpeedSafe
Offered by Sky Rocket Sales
Price: $22.29
72 used & new from $20.06

1.0 out of 5 stars Another one missed by Quality Control, February 19, 2016
The copy I received has the typical defect that I seem to encounter in some of the low-cost Kershaw knives these days -- a failure for the frame-lock (or liner-lock if that is the case) to be of the proper length so that the lock reliably engages.

As you can see in the photo I've attached, the frame-lock is too long. All that this would take to fix would be disassembly and a light stoning of the frame there or in the corresponding notch on the blade itself to create the proper clearance for engagement. This knife is completely UNSAFE in this condition.

However, I've gotten to the point with seeing this problem way too often with economy Kershaw blades that I think they need to get their Quality Control to WAKE UP. Thus, on a knife of this price, I'm not going to do their fit-and-finish for them: I'm sending it back to the retailer (Amazon.com) for an exchange. Maybe if there are enough returns, Kershaw will be "convinced" to return to delivering even their economy knives in the utterly flawless functional and cosmetic condition in which they used to arrive.

I'll update this review when I receive the replacement copy.

UPDATE -- February 21, 2016. The replacement is even worse than the first copy. Same problem made even worse by a very stiff spring action. I'm sending both copies back.
Comment Comment | Permalink

MDW Colorful Replacement Clip Holder for Fitbit One- Third Party Accessory (1 pcs Navy)
Offered by Midwec Industry Co.,LTD
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, December 30, 2015
Terrible quality. I've had the same problems others have had.

The rubber-ized backing on the clip slides up and down exposing the sharp edge of the end-tab. Very uncomfortable and difficult to get loose from clothing.

These are made of "stretchier" and softer material than the originals from FitBit, and the internal wire-frame's sharp edges cut into the material when it stretches. I've only had this a month or so as a backup, and it already has a hole ripping in the fabric where the internal wire frame cuts into it.

Junk at 1/4 the price

SKB 1 CB22 1 CB22 22-Inch Cymbal Gig Bag
SKB 1 CB22 1 CB22 22-Inch Cymbal Gig Bag
Price: $79.99
4 used & new from $74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best cymbal bag for the price, BUT...., December 30, 2015
....You might need to know a few details before you can agree with my assessment. I own 4 of them. One, I've had for several years, and I just bought 3 more while they were on sale.

First, when I carry cymbals, I carry a lot, and this is the ONLY cymbal bag I've found with a good enough shoulder pad on the strap that the strap does not bruise my shoulder/neck from carrying so much weight. The pad is large and distributes weight well.

The manufacturing quality is superb (the rubberized zippers are wonderful!), EXCEPT for the hardware connecting the shoulder strap to the bag. One on my first bag broke, probably because I over-stuffed the bag, but still, it's the weakest link in the bag's manufacturing quality. However, I easily replaced that hardware with a couple of cheap carabiners from a sporting goods store. Furthermore, on one of the bags I just received, there is a MUCH sturdier set of hardware/hooks, so this must be a known issue that SKB is rectifying, so if you happen to get an older one with the defective hooks, I'd expect SKB would replace them. They're a fantastic company.

The only other negative I have to point out with this bag is that the internal dividers, while wonderfully padded to protect cymbals, aren't exactly cut to the right size. Thus, this bag will hold 22" cymbals (two, in fact), as advertised, but the ones you place in the internally divided section will need to be 18" or smaller. These seem to vary a bit in cut as well -- some I can barely squeeze 18s into, and others will only hold 17" or smaller cymbals in the middle sections.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic bag for the price. Highly recommended!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars First one defective...., December 15, 2015
I ordered this knife because I recently got a CRKT Tighe Rade, and it's one of the smoothest-operating, most reliable mechanisms I've tried.

This knife, though, has serious problems and shouldn't have gotten past Quality Control. It's utterly impossible to open the knife without making a massive whipping motion with one's arm, and even that doesn't always work.

There is a discernible grinding sensation that vibrates all the way back through the body of the gripping area. I'd guess that I'm dealing with a bad bearing. After 50+ attempts to open the knife with a normal, reasonable force placed upon the flipper, I have succeeded in opening the knife ZERO times.

I'm sending it back, and once I can evaluate its replacement, I'll update this review....

UPDATE (Dec. 30, 2015) -- Sadly, the second copy was worse than the first and in all the same areas. The grinding sensation was highly audible, sounding like a can of tiny BBs rattling around, which is essentially what is going on. I could barely get the knife to open 90 degrees without it binding up.

One other problem I noticed is that the rear part of the handle rides up into one's hand sharply, as you can see by the shape. This is a problem (esp. if you have large hands) when you're trying to snap your arm/wrist to assist the blade's opening. This point's proximity to the heel of your hand, mixed with the fact that you have to hold the knife by the pants clip, rather than simply by the handle, under your fingers while opening it makes for some VERY unwieldy operation.

With the mechanism binding up and needing a more secure hold on the knife (which is impossible because of the placement of the clip), with increasing force, I ended up throwing the knife into the carpet. This is ridiculous, and no knife should be designed this poorly. There are MANY other options -- if you have to have a Tighe, I'd suggest a Tighe Rade instead. It's a MUCH better designed and functioning knife, I think it's more elegant, and it's cheaper.

Both of the copies I tried of this knife went back to Amazon. Thanks, Amazon, for your generous return and return shipping policy!

5.11 Men's Pursuit Lace Up Shoe, Black, 11 D(M) US
5.11 Men's Pursuit Lace Up Shoe, Black, 11 D(M) US
Price: $101.92
4 used & new from $99.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing WAY off, December 8, 2015
I have average-to-slightly narrow, size 11 feet. All shoes I own are size 11 except for sandals/slip-ons -- my slightly narrow feet require a smaller size. However, the size 11s I got of these shoes were nearly too tight to pull on, and my toes are jammed against the ends of them.

Also, the laces are nearly too short to tie, even with my moderately narrow feet. Too narrow AND too short. Strange.

They seem to be well made and are comfortable to the soles (other than the jammed toes), but I have to return them because of their miss-sizing.

I wish I could exchange them for larger ones, but since I got them on a Lightning Deal, I don't have that option. A pity.

Fotasy AFOM Olympus OM Lens to Fujifilm FX Mount Camera Adapter
Fotasy AFOM Olympus OM Lens to Fujifilm FX Mount Camera Adapter
Price: $13.99
3 used & new from $10.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit -- Fuji X-E2 to E. Zuiko/Olympus 100mm 2.8, July 30, 2015
I have not always given great reviews to bargain Fuji adapters, but this one works very well. I purchased it to use on my Fuji X-E2, mounting my "new" Olympus E. Zuiko Auto-T 100mm f/2.8 lens.

Unlike many of these adapters, there is no "play" with this one on either the lens or camera end. All is solidly secure. Photos have been razor-sharp, and there's no lens "wobble" to worry about.

YMMV with your lens of choice, but I've found that this combination works fantastically well.

Skechers USA Men's Superior Devoy Oxford,Blue,11 M US
Skechers USA Men's Superior Devoy Oxford,Blue,11 M US
Offered by Fashion Connection Inc
Price: $49.88

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd order a half-size smaller than you normally wear., June 22, 2015
Really nice, attractive, comfortable shoes of high quality, but they're too large. I wear an 11 in just about every style of shoe, but these size "11"s just slipped around on my feet.

The rather revealing detail is that the plastic inserts that they use for helping the shoes to keep their shape in shipping are marked "11-11 1/2".

Obviously, if those inserts will fit in size 11 1/2 shoes, any "size 11" shoes like these that they will fit in are mis-marked with a size that is at least 1/2 size too large.

I would gladly have exchanged these for 10 1/2's because I really loved them, but since they were part of a Lightning Deal, my only option was to return them. Unfortunate.

Vuarnet Extreme Unisex VE 7010 Classic Polarized Sunglasses, Palladium
Vuarnet Extreme Unisex VE 7010 Classic Polarized Sunglasses, Palladium
Offered by Virtual Exchanges, Inc.
Price: $27.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, Unwearable Garbage!, June 15, 2015
Vuarnet is still up and running, but they've clearly sold their name off to some off-label manufacturer to make these pieces of junk. If you look on the Vuarnet website, they still make what many of us remember from the '80s -- best glacier glasses I've ever owned -- but this model number series is NOT on their website. Draw your own conclusions.

The pair of these that I got has one temple veering off a a bizarre angle AWAY from my head, so I can't even set the temple on my ear! They're literally unwearable. And the thing is, it doesn't even appear that anything is bent -- it looks like the mold for the frames is simply not square!

JUNK, pure and simple. Mine are going back. I'm very glad that Amazon will accept these as returns, but I really wish they'd never accepted them into their inventory.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2015 9:30 AM PDT

KitchenPalz Smooth Edge Automatic Electric Can Opener - Compact & Cordless (Red) with FREE eBook

1.0 out of 5 stars It worked once!, May 12, 2015
It opened exactly ONE can. I was opening some cans of tuna, and it opened the first one just as advertised.

I set it onto the second can, and it started wailing like a banshee. I shut it off to examine what was wrong, and it was clear that the drive-shaft had bent itself off-axis/sideways! What a completely useless piece of junk!

Thank goodness Amazon took it back immediately for a refund! Obviously, though, I can't recommend this product.

Kershaw Strobe 1086 Plain Edge Folding Blade Hunting Knife, (Box Version) 3.3"
Kershaw Strobe 1086 Plain Edge Folding Blade Hunting Knife, (Box Version) 3.3"
Price: $29.52
58 used & new from $29.52

1.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL knife with more issues than a typical Kershaw, February 20, 2015
"Yep. Not surprised this was made in China," was my first reaction in working the blade mechanism for the first time. This is the first Kershaw that I can say that about, even though I own well over a dozen, 9 of which are of Chinese manufacture (Zing, Volt SS, Brawler, RJI, Funxion, Asset, Tremor, and Strobe).

Aesthetically, it's really nice. I love the balance since I prefer scales on each side, the Kershaw logo-ing on them provides a great grip, the stonewashed blade is gorgeous, and the deep-carry clip is a welcome feature; however, there are some functional problems on my copy that need addressing.

First, I have large (9"span), strong hands from much fine-detail work in my job; however, I cannot get the liner-lock to positively engage 100% of the time -- it's more like 70% -- when using the flipper alone. Adding in a VERY sharp flick of the wrist is the only way I can create a THWACK sound that guarantees to me that the blade is locked. Without a LOT of wrist action, the liner-lock whimpers, and the blade sometimes unlocks -- NOT a good thing.

I have no complaints about the KVT bearing system, for the travel of the blade is smooth as silk, except from a bit of a "bump" when the lock is first disengaged.

I'm guessing that a lot of the problems result from a burr on the liner-lock itself, and I probably could shave off a bit with a stone, but I may return it to Kershaw for service instead because this isn't the only problem....

The blade is nowhere close to centered. It doesn't grind or bind, and the smoothest travel is when it's left off-center. Adjusting the Torx screws either way creates binding or grinding or too much tension to overcome with the flipper. My guess at the cause for this can be seen by looking at the business-end of the blade, which has, roughly, an 11:30-to-5:30 cant. That's an issue Kershaw would have to address, so I think I'll leave the whole adjustment, including stoning the liner-lock, up to them.

Yes, I can't BELIEVE I'm having to return a Kershaw for QC issues! Truly surprising to me!

I'd never give a fine utility knife marks this low, but that's the only use I'd feel safe assigning this copy. I'd not recommend it for EDC, given the lock-up failures. This knife just does not live up to the high standards I've come to expect from Kershaw. Your mileage may vary, of course, as I've seen rave reviews by others on copies they've received.

We'll see if Kershaw can/will rectify these issues, and when I get it back from them, I'll post an update.

UPDATE -- APRIL 16, 2015
I got the knife back from Kershaw in just under a month. Mixed verdict....

It's much better, but it's _still_ my first Kershaw disappointment. It opens and locks more reliably -- say, 95% of the time now, though that's not enough of a confidence-builder for me to use it for EDC.

There's now a grinding sensation through blade travel that's even audible. It used to be smooth: now it isn't.

The biggest issue I have is simply opening the knife -- it sticks when closed. I really have to exert a LOT of pressure on the flipper, and sometimes my finger even slips off without the blade opening. I do NOT have weak hands -- grip strength of 140+ psi is normal for me.

I really WANT to like this knife but can't, "new" or "repaired." For what it's worth, this knife in Amazon's inventory has been "under review" for almost a month, at least since March 18. You probably saw this when reaching this page, but here's what the Amazon banner reads (I sent a query about this to Kershaw CS, and the rep ignored the question)....

"Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

FWIW, if you're looking for a great simular-sized manual, tactical EDC, I'd pass on this one and pay a little more for a 5.11 Alpha Scout Black G-10 Handle with Black Blade, or for one with a slightly larger blade and footprint, I'd spend seven extra greenbacks over the Kershaw for a Spyderco Tenacious Plain Edge Knife. I own both, and they're FANTASTIC -- manual knives that, with wrist-action flip, both open as smooth as silk, and NEITHER of mine has EVER failed to engage its lock.

Kershaw clearly has problems with this design, and I can't recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20