Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for louisecook > Reviews

Browse

louisecook's Profile

Customer Reviews: 18
Helpful Votes: 2050

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

louisecook RSS Feed (New Jersey)

Page: 1 | 2
DeBoles Gluten Free Multi Grain Penne -- 8 oz
DeBoles Gluten Free Multi Grain Penne -- 8 oz
Offered by m&b enterprises
Price: $4.89
6 used & new from $3.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine gluten free pasta, March 24, 2016
Newly diagnosed with gluten intolerance so desperate for good substitutes for the imported Italiian pastas I've eaten for years. I found this to be a fine product. Good taste, good texture. Imperative to start tasting at about 4 1/2 minutes--it was al dente at 5 minutes. As always I finished in the sauce (green onions, fresh asparagus cut on bias, Parmesan--aged two years) then topped with a dollop of a good ricotta. Prior to finding this pasta I thought I'd rather eat nothing than substitute mush. I was happily surprised. No it isn't a hand crafted pasta from Puglia, say, but it's far, far better than not having pasta at all.

Coromose Tomatoes Style Kitchen Mechanical Food Cooking Timer
Coromose Tomatoes Style Kitchen Mechanical Food Cooking Timer

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty product, January 5, 2016
Waited a long time for it. Then broke after three uses.

Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Meals for Anyone with Limited Time or Energy, January 5, 2016
Elizabeth Yarnell has devised a method of cooking in which food in layered in a 2 quart enamel covered cast iron pot, and cooked, covered, in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes. The recipes are drawn from many parts of the world; each includes a healthy starch, a protein, and many vegetables. Yarnell perfected this technique when she became ill and her energy was diminished. I discovered this book after I was diagnosed with a severe case of Lyme Disease. The beauty of the technique is that you can prep ingredients during the day when you have the energy, and layer them in the pot, storing it in the fridge until cooking time. (Today, for example, I did the prep in three time frames, storing the pot in the fridge after each.) One pot to clean; no standing at the stove. I didn't believe Yarnell's claim that all the layers would cook perfectly (pasta or rice, protein,veg) but they did. My husband, usually left with a sinkful of pots, was grateful for the ease of cleanup.
The recipes include herbs and spices, but I have found that if I season each layer as I build the contents of the pot, the food is tastier. Still Yarnell's recipes provide joyful, healthful eating. Today's lunch was Aloo Gobbi and it made the equivalent of four frozen rice bowls at a fraction of the expense. And for anyone with limited time and/or energy, this cookbook is a blessing. I'm very happy that I can prepare wonderful meals even though I have very limited energy.
Incidentally, alll recipes are for 2 people, but Yarnell provides instructions for using the technique for more than 2. And she specifies the kind of enamel covered cast iron pot to use, and they can be pricey.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood
Price: $30.01
83 used & new from $15.21

5.0 out of 5 stars The best money I've ever spent on a bread baking book, October 27, 2015
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I purchased the Kindle version: didn't want to wait! Contrary to another Kindle reviewer, it does have a Table of Contents and internal links that take you to techniques if you need a further explanation. I have baked bread for years and i find that most bread books are either too fiddly, or too vague. Hollywood's directions are simple, precise, explicit. He knows more about how doughs behave than any book I've used. There are enough breads from simple to grand to keep an experienced baker happy, and an inexperienced baker can develop fantastic skills using this book.

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W
Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W
Price: $123.44
148 used & new from $69.38

3.0 out of 5 stars If it works, it works well; if it doesn't, it'll cost you to send it back, May 14, 2015
i own two Instant Pots and I love them. But, buyer beware. The first one stopped working--steam coming out of the vent. I emailed them. They sent me a new part. It still didn't work. They requested a video; I sent it. They sent me a new top. It still didn't work. At this point, they volunteered to send me a new one if I returned the old one--a very good bit of customer relations. But mailing it to Canada would cost over $100. I emailed them and asked if they had a prepaid way to send back the defective item. Since then, I have not heard back from them though I have tried to contact them again.

So...a mixed review. The pot, if it works, works magnificently well. But one of mine stopped working after five months. And I'm out the cost of the product because clearly it's not worth $100 to send it back.

Apex Deluxe Pill Splitter, 1 splitter
Apex Deluxe Pill Splitter, 1 splitter
Offered by VetmedUSA
Price: $5.28
43 used & new from $4.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, November 12, 2011
This broke the first time I used it. The product came with the razor to split pills off center. I've used a cheaper pill splitter for months without fail.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but are they Italian, May 8, 2011
Imperative that pine nuts not come from China. Chinese pine nuts are associated with a strange ailment that gives those susceptible a very bad sore throat. Suspect these aren't Italian.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2014 2:44 PM PST

Fagor Duo 8-Quart Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker with Steamer Basket
Fagor Duo 8-Quart Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker with Steamer Basket
Offered by glaiza shop
Price: $78.71
61 used & new from $68.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the Warranty -- Doesn't Cover Anything but the Metal, July 23, 2010
I purchased the Fagor Duo 8-Quart Pressure Cooker on the recommendation of a friend I respect. I made a glorious stew the first time I used it. The second time, I tried to make rice, using the instructions in the booklet. I sat next to the stove, timing how long it would take to come to pressure (information I insert in recipes). I waited and waited. Turns out the orange pressure indicator had melted. This, on the second use of the cooker.

I called the 1-800 number listed in the booklet that comes with the pressure cooker. When I told my story to the woman who answered, she said she'd send me a new part (to replace the part requires disassembling the handle using a Philips Head screw driver) as a one time courtesy. From now on, I'd have to purchase a replacement part.

I said, What about the ten-year warranty. She said that was only on the metal parts of the pressure cooker, not on the handle, not on the pressure indicator. Having a ten-year warranty for metal is like having a ten-year warranty for a rock -- it's a relatively useless warranty.

The first woman I spoke to suggested that it was my fault -- that I'd had the flame beneath the pot on too high. I have a gas stove, and their instructions say to place the cooker over high heat. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She had the same story -- handle, etc., not under warranty. She said this doesn't happen very often. But it happened to me the second time I used the pot, following their directions.

Good customer service? Maybe. If I was running the show, I would have asked me to send back the pot so their engineers could determine if it malfunctioned. I would have sent me a new pot. But no.... So, buyer beware.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2016 2:11 PM PDT

Leslie Sansone: Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection
Leslie Sansone: Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection
DVD ~ Leslie Sansone
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $20.99
36 used & new from $3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Leslie Sansone, a Lifesaver, July 21, 2010
I'm 67 years old, and was fit for my age before purchasing several Leslie Sansone tapes. (My two favorites, Walk Away the Pounds; Walk at Home, 5 Day Slim Down). I started working with the tapes four or five days a week, alternating, sometimes, with outdoor walks. I found my outdoor walks far more pleasurable. I felt more and more fit. My blood pressure came down to 117 over 67 without medication. I didn't lose much weight -- 4 pounds -- but I wasn't very overweight to begin with. I felt fitter than I ever have, and my friends and family noticed.

Then one day I walked for twelve hours on pavement in New York City in floppy flats. (What was I thinking?) And got a stress fracture of my second metatarsal. I was bereft -- all that hard work to get fit and now I had to be off my feet for most of the day for weeks, perhaps months. I bought a walker with wheels and a seat, a wheelchair, a cane -- all the accoutrements of a person with an injury. And I became very, very down.

One day a friend suggested that I do the Leslie Sansone tapes sitting in my walker (which elevated my feet a few inches off the ground when I was sitting). I thought, why not, and started. I did all the motions to the best of my ability without my feet touching the ground. It involved, I realized, developing a great deal of core strength. From the first day, my mood improved; I felt as if I was taking good physical care of myself to the best of my ability.

As I recovered, I started doing the 2 mile brisk walk on Walk Away the Pounds, a little at a time. 5 minutes, standing the first week. 7, the second. I'd complete the tape sitting. Slowly, my strength came back. I believe this regimen aided my recovery and certainly improved my mood. I didn't feel like an invalid, but like someone temporarily inconvenienced, and on the mend. It's nine weeks since my injury, and I can now do the tape, standing, for 20 minutes! I'll add another 5 next week. And soon I'll be doing the whole tape.

Without these tapes, I suspect I would have lost far more muscle strength than I have. I look forward to regaining what I'd lost, thanks to using these tapes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2012 7:08 AM PDT

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
by Zoe Francois
238 used & new from $1.36

1,129 of 1,151 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bread I've Ever Made, As Good as Almost All I've Ever Eaten, December 2, 2007
I'm a foodie; the kind of person who will drive miles to a bakery, who will visit Italy when the ricotta is sweetest. I'm also a skeptic. So, when I bought this book, I didn't expect much. But, was I ever wrong. What I love is that the authors turn everything you know about bread baking upside down, and the result is the best bread you'll ever make at home. Easily. Simply. Whenever you want. You must, however, read the introduction to the method to succeed as well as you might -- this is not a book to begin baking from the minute you buy it. But the few minutes you invest in all the suggestions pay off mightily -- how to tell when this particular kind of bread is really ready (I used to swear by an instant read thermometer -- forget that); how to dock it; how to store it, etc. The instructions are utterly clear. I've already baked ten loaves, each magnificent, and I've only had the book for a week. All kinds of breads are represented -- French loaves, ciabbata, pita, peasant -- I could go on and on. Enough for a lifetime of pleasure. Hertzberg and Francois are geniuses.
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 10:58 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2