Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Profile for CS > Reviews

Browse

CS's Profile

Customer Reviews: 289

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CS RSS Feed (MA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Murder At 1600
Murder At 1600
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A much better thriller than you might expect., August 14, 2015
Ok, so elements of the plot are completely preposterous, but if you're willing to deploy a moderate suspension of disbelief, you'll enjoy a very well made thriller. There is action, but not so much that it takes over. It's just a good, tightly played thriller with a couple of clever plot twists. My college-age son and I both enjoyed it quite thoroughly.

The Brothers Grimm
The Brothers Grimm
DVD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, bad, bad. Just avoid., August 13, 2015
Oh my goodness, it is really bad! I should have known, its directed by Terry Gilliam, who could take Hamlet and and destroy it completely. (Why anyone hired or funded that man despite his track record of failure is a question that now torments me.)

No, really, it is abysmal, and a colossal waste of great acting talent. The story is haphazard, the acting uncertain, the direction feckless.

Give it a miss, your life will be better for it.

V-LIGHT Traditional Style CFL Banker's Desk Lamp with Green Glass Shade (VS688029AB)
Price: $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars adequate, but I'm not about to cheer for it, August 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a reasonable choice for a desklamp to provide a bit of soft lighting on your desk, perhaps while you're mostly on the computer. Once assembled, the switch operates smoothly, the shade glows softly so there's no glare, and overall the appearance is attractive. You'll need an additional brighter source if you're doing a lot of desktop work such as writing or drawing.

The assembly isn't difficult, but it's a bit annoying because you have to pull the cord through as you're putting the three pieces together, and the cord gets in the way a bit during that assembly. I also worried slightly about how much twist I was putting on the power cord inside the base when screwing on the vertical post.

The packaging is "traditional" (read old-fashioned), using a lot of styrofoam and plastic bags and tape. Be prepared to pick up little bits of foam from your floor/table.

Belkin 10-Port Full Rate 2.4 Amp USB Charger for Smartphones and Tablets (B2E026)
Price: $240.21
9 used & new from $70.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too big and heavy, charges ok except for iPad trouble, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The marketing blurb says "slim, sleek design". That must have been an attempt at cutting humor, because this thing is a huge brick, and its power supply brick is also huge and heavy, bigger than the one I have for my laptop. The price is pretty hefty as well. Considering that one can buy very good multiport chargers for a lot less money and poundage, I wonder why I'd ever consider something like this. (For instance, consider the Anker USB chargers, available here on Amazon.)

So my main complaints are about size and price. How does this work? Quite well for Android devices. I did not try to collect 10 devices to charge at the same time to do a full test, but the specs indicate more than enough power for all 10 ports to charge at 2.4A at the same time. I did try charging two Android devices at the same time, and the results were quite satisfactory, they charged up quickly as you'd expect.

BUT, for some reason that I haven't figured out, my iPad Air 2 would not charge with this device. Not at all. It was as if the iPad didn't like the power source. With the same cable and either the standard Apple charge adapter, or an Anker multiport charger, there was no problem, the iPad charged itself happily. So this would make me even more wary of buying this product.

GOAL ZERO 22008 Venture 30 Power Pack
GOAL ZERO 22008 Venture 30 Power Pack
Price: $99.99
9 used & new from $98.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful backup power for phones/tablets and such, July 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a handy little item if you need power backup for a phone or tablet, when you expect to have an extended period away from a power source. I'm planning to carry it with me when travelling, for example, and it might be handy on a hike as well.

I plugged in my regular micro-usb phone charger (the specs call for 2.1A at 5V) to fully charge it. Then I tested it on a phone (Samsung S4) and a tablet (Tab S), and found the results quite satisfactory. The specs say that the two USB ports will provide 2.4A at 5V simultaneously, and I was certainly able to charge my two devices at the same time without problems.

There's some discussion in the instructions about "smart charging", but I can't verify if that makes any real difference. (The idea seems to be that you can tell the charger to dialog with your device to select an optimal charge profile. Nice idea, but I didn't see a difference after I did what they asked. Maybe it was optimal already ...)

The flashlight is a nice touch, but I don't know that I'd ever use it. I'd carry a flashlight if I think I might one, rather than depending on one charger to provide backup power as well as a light source.

Finally, the charger is well-made, and compact in design. Easy to slip into a backpack for instance. One important limitation to keep in mind: you will probably need to carry a separate USB-microUSB cord (I have a 1 foot cord I use), because the cord that comes with it has a fat rubberized head, making it impossible to fit into some recessed charging slots (such as my tablet when it's inside a case).

V-LIGHT Architect-Style CFL Swing-Arm Task Lamp with Non-Skid Table/Desk Clamp, Black (CAEN804B)
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good swing-arm clamp-on style lamp, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pretty much a standard swing-arm lamp of the type. It's well-made, and was easy to assemble. Including a CFL bulb was a nice touch. I clamped it on to a 5/8 inch window ledge, adjusted and tightened as needed, and it was ready to go. The adjustable screw in the middle was a bit more stiff than ideal. The one from which the lamp assembly hangs was rather loose, and remains a bit harder to tighten to keep the lamp at a desired angle.

No significant problems (so far) and it's certainly a satisfactory product. The price seems reasonable, but I have not done any comparison shopping.

Case Logic KDH-101 Kontrast DSLR Zoom Holster (Black)
Case Logic KDH-101 Kontrast DSLR Zoom Holster (Black)
Price: $43.39
3 used & new from $43.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, but not a clear winner, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's the bottom line: I compared this case with the Amazon Basics case, and frankly found the latter to be comparable or even slightly better (at a much lower price).

This is a pretty nice case for a DSLR wearing a zoom lens. I have a Nikon D5300 which I usually pack with a 18-200mm zoom lens on it, and have found the Amazon case to be satisfactory for holding the camera+zoom and the lens hood in the main compartment, and the battery charger and of course a spare chip in the side pckets. There's room in a side pocket to carry a small card reader if I want to bring that as well.

The Case Logic case is very similar, and if I had gotten it first I would probably have been quite satisfied. However, I found that the suspension "hammock" for the camera didn't work quite as well in practice as it does in theory. The camera isn't symmetric of course, and more of it seems to slip through the hole than is intended, and it lies in it at an angle. I also found that I couldn't quite as easily put the lens hood on top as I have gotten used to doing with the Amazon case.

Otherwise, this is well made, with sturdy looking and smoothly functioning zippers, robust strap & handle, and functional side pockets. Certainly a good product, you won't regret buying this case, other than possible regret over the price paid. (Note that I haven't owned the cases long enough to comment on any durability differences.)

Stainless Steel Manicure Toenail Nail Trimmer Clippers Silver Tone 3Pcs
Stainless Steel Manicure Toenail Nail Trimmer Clippers Silver Tone 3Pcs
Offered by Hrhyme
Price: $2.50
14 used & new from $2.50

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap, which is good, but that's the quality you get, July 6, 2015
I wouldn't buy these for my toenails, they'd be completely inadequate to deal with my very tough nails, especially on the big toe. I'm not sure they'd do well enough on my fingernails either. I bought them to use as a permissible cutting tool to carry in luggage, so that I could easily cut things like plastic ties (used in place of locks for suitcases). They worked fine on the thinner ties, but I tried a slightly thicker tie and managed to break one of these clippers immediately. They might be fine if you're looking for an inexpensive set of clippers you're expecting to use just a few times.

AmazonBasics USB Powered Computer Speakers (A100)
AmazonBasics USB Powered Computer Speakers (A100)
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but tinny sounding, which becomes annoying quickly, July 3, 2015
They're ok for basic use perhaps. Perhaps. But they're really quite tinny sounding, and I quickly find it painful to listen to music playing through these speakers. To be clear, I'm not expecting the performance of my home stereo, I'm just comparing them to my other computer speakers -- they're much better. So if you have a sensitive ear, you might wish to spend a bit more money and get a nicer pair.

Bird's Eye View window film (6) 4X4 Inch, Blue/Yellow
Bird's Eye View window film (6) 4X4 Inch, Blue/Yellow
Price: $7.97
3 used & new from $7.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, wthout being an eyesore, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, these seem to do the job.

We had a very persistent cardinal (female) attacking one of our large windows. She would begin early in the morning and not give up until late in the day, and managed to destroy the window screens. After placing these, we have not had any recurrence of the attacks. Of course, we can't tell for sure that she didn't just give up for other reasons (season change, lighting change with the summer, etc.), but it seems reasonable to conclude that these stickers helped.

They're not unattractive on the glass; certainly not annoying to have in the view. I think that I'd try 6x6 pieces, or even bigger ones (if available), on the larger window panes, but if the 4x4 size works, makes sense to stay with the smaller size.

Definitely worth getting a pack to try if you have the bird-attack problem!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20