Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for DrumJ8 > Reviews

Browse

DrumJ8's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DrumJ8 RSS Feed

Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs way the eff up., September 13, 2015
This review is from: Fantastic Four (Amazon Video)
I watched it last night and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't know what else to say. That's not true, because I wrote this super long review. I'd probably give a rating in the low 4's out of 5, but I'm giving it a 5 just because I vastly disagree with the abysmal reviews as well as the 9% Rotten Tomatoes rating. I didn't think "oh it wasn't that bad" or "I went in with really low expectations and was surprised at how much I liked it." I just really enjoyed the film.

I don't think it's a perfect movie, but no movie is. It has its problems, but all movies do. I won't pretend to be an articulate movie critic with years of experience, so that I can say, "trust me, I know what I'm talking about." Whether I do or don't know what I'm talking about is irrelevant, and that applies to everyone reviewing this movie. I'm not going to talk about Fox or ownership or rights because that doesn't matter to me. Josh Trank's tweet or wigs or facial hair or other trivial stuff mean nothing to me. I'm going to talk about how I went to a theater last night to watch a movie I wanted to see, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plain and simple.

Maybe I have a weird taste in movies, but, just to give some semblance of context, I really enjoyed the first Fantastic Four film, the second one not so much. I enjoyed Fantastic Four 2015 better than I did Ant-Man, which I admit feels weird to say. I enjoyed this film better than X-Men Origins Wolverine. One of my favorite movies is Taxi (currently 10% on Rotten Tomatoes), starring Jimmy Fallon and Queen Latifah, coincidentally directed by Tim Story who also directed the first Fantastic Four films. I wholeheartedly agree with the 98% RT rating of Fury Road, which I had 0 interest in seeing prior to seeing. There's some context. Perhaps I digress.

SPOILER ALERT.

The beginning reminded me of Tomorrowland. (Side note: I'm a pretty big Disney fan, but I did not enjoy Tomorrowland. But that's another story). Everything about this movie that apparently everyone else hated, or did not buy into, I totally dug, or bought into. I dug the genius/prodigy kid in the beginning who befriended the junkyard kid. I actually dug the dynamic between the characters. I've read reviews that the acting was stiff, no chemistry, etc. I just didn't feel that at all. Dr. Franklin Storm kept repeating "these are kids" or "where are my kids?!" Maybe that sold it for me. Maybe that was enough for me. Maybe I felt that eventually they'll learn to become a team, a family, but until then, I totally bought into this concept that these are kids, kids that perhaps don't get along right away but they learn to work together to fight a common enemy in Victor.

The first moment for me that was a little weird, was when the Thing found Reed and he was going to attack him, then Reed very quickly says something like "I'm worthless, this is all my fault!" I thought that moment felt a little rushed to me, and they could've treated it better by letting that moment breathe a little. The ending dialogue between the four I thought was also weird/awkward, kind of cheesy, but my wife liked that part. My wife laughed the first time Reed and his stretchy body was shown, but I didn't really have a problem with it. These are very small quibbles for me, and didn't ruin the movie for me at all. I probably wouldn't have noticed Kate Mara's wig if I hadn't seen an article written about it prior, and even if I did, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. And I forgot about the comment about Miles Teller's facial hair until I read the comment again after watching the movie. But really, can a wig and facial hair and wonky editing really ruin a whole movie? Apparently for most, the answer is yes. Many other points that bad reviews bring up, were just non-issues for me or I just didn't feel. I just didn't agree with them at all. It almost feels like a conspiracy how much people hate and want to hate this movie. I fundamentally do not understand all the hate. I guess I just have to chalk it up to 'to each their own'. I can't help but feel disappointed because I genuinely enjoyed this film.

I totally bought into how Reed was just a geeky prodigy smart kid. He wasn't born a leader, and he felt guilty about what happened, and he wanted to escape and try to help Ben. Then at the end, he redeems himself because, as his teammates were fighting yet failing, he unites them and is able to beat Dr. Doom. I dug the ending sequence (SHRUG). Could there have been more? Sure. But I was satisfied. Maybe I'm just easy to please. People watched this movie and want to destroy the world with their anger. I just watched it and dug the whole thing. SHRUG. I'm pretty much a fan of all of the main actors in this film. Perhaps, I suppose (Rufio reference) that the powerhouse actors felt a little underutilized. But when I say "underutilized," others would say "the talents were wasted!" or "the acting sucked!" Shrug. I just didn't feel it to that extreme. Miles Teller was great. I thought Kate Mara was a great Sue Storm. I felt she was a strong presence. I thought Michael B. Jordan was a fun Johnny Storm, a rebellious hothead. I thought Jamie Bell was a good strong but silent type, and I felt his voice performed an effective tragic transformation into the Thing. When I think about it, maybe the character development was lacking, maybe they could've spent more and deeper/better moments with each character and with each other. But for me, it didn't detract much from my enjoyment of the film.

I want Josh Trank to do the Part 4 interview on Fatman on Batman. I want him to set things straight from his point of view. There was a lot of controversy surrounding this film, but when I see social media photos or when I listened to Parts 1-3, I felt that the cast and director wanted this to be a good film and were excited for the film to come out. They dedicated years to this project, and I'm not saying just because they worked hard the movie will be good and people should like it. It's just a bummer that so many people hated this film. Perhaps if some of the problems/controversies prior to this film being released were solved, the movie would've been a lot better received, but as it stands, I'll gladly stand in the minority and declare that I personally loved the movie as is. I'm a fan. I am nobody. But my lowly singular opinion for this movie is: Thumbs way the eff up.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2016 10:39 PM PST

Regal Tip Jason Sutter "Chop Stix" Signature Stick
Regal Tip Jason Sutter "Chop Stix" Signature Stick
Offered by Mugan_Music_Group
Price: $10.99
6 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The pair I received is lighter than the ones I own, September 4, 2015
I really like these sticks. Normally, I'd give these sticks a 5-star rating, more on that later. So just for comparison, I like sticks that are relatively thin, but have a good weight to them. For my tastes, I like Peter Erskine sticks but recently they've felt a little too thin for my hands. Other sticks that I've been digging include Dave Weckl, and Jack DeJohnette. I came across the Jason Sutter sticks randomly at a Guitar Center, and I really liked them. I love the pair that I bought, but they're getting pretty beat up so I ordered a new pair from Amazon. I have no idea why, but the sticks from Amazon are, very noticeably lighter than the pair that I purchased from Guitar Center. It's uncomfortably light for me. I hope not all of them are like that, but the ones I received from Amazon were too light for my liking.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2016 9:56 PM PDT

Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection: Disneyland [3 CD]
Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection: Disneyland [3 CD]
Price: $17.39
66 used & new from $11.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, August 26, 2015
I've gradually become a pretty big Disney/Disneyland fan in the past few years, after planning a first trip for my wife and I, and listening to the Mousetalgia podcast, etc. I am not a collector by any means. This is my first purchase from The Legacy Collection, and I love it. I don't own any previous soundtracks/collections, so for me, and I think for people like me, this purchase is awesome. I recently purchased it at the D23 2015 Expo, and it's probably my best purchase from the event.

My favorite tracks are: Married Life (can't help but get a little sad by listening to it though, oh Ellie), Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me), Grim Grinning Ghosts, Mike and Sulley to the Rescue, A Bug's Life Suite, and The Main Street Electrical Parade.

Listening to some of this music, oh man, just takes you right back into the parks, which is awesome for me because I haven't been able to get to the parks as often as I would like to lately. I highly recommend this CD set.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem!
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem!
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $34.00
231 used & new from $4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario vs. Donkey Kong Returns, November 26, 2010
It's a fun and creative puzzle game. I initially felt it was a little on the easy side, only to realize that there is a bunch of unlockable content. That definitely increased the replay value. It's addicting and each completed level leaves you wanting to rush to the next, or to collect all items and complete all achievements before advancing.

The mini-Marios (and others) march non-stop lemming-style and it's your job to guide them to the correct goal by use of certain tools in your arsenal, such as girdles, ladders, conveyor belts, springs, and pipes. Time is not on your side as you try to avoid enemies and gaps on your way to the goal. It'll take good timing and good decision-making in order to complete each puzzle-infused level. In addition to the main levels of gameplay, there are special levels and special modes that can be unlocked. Fun and innovative gameplay and some great nostalgic music makes me glad I bought this game.

Sims 2 - Nintendo DS
Sims 2 - Nintendo DS
Offered by META Gaming
Price: $69.95
67 used & new from $9.38

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sims 2 for DS, December 8, 2007
This review is from: Sims 2 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
This game is fun in the beginning, when you have missions and different needs to accommodate. It's somewhat open-ended, but after the "end" happens there's not too much to do. Getting to the end is fun though and I think the chances you'll want to play it over again some day are pretty high, which counts for something.

Drive Well, Sleep Carefully - On the Road with Death Cab for Cutie
Drive Well, Sleep Carefully - On the Road with Death Cab for Cutie
DVD ~ Death Cab for Cutie
Offered by CAC Media
Price: $12.59
41 used & new from $0.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Drive Well, Sleep Carefully, March 11, 2006
I had a Death Cab for Cutie phase, so this DVD was perfect. If you're only semi into them, or only like a few songs, you might not like the DVD. If they're at the top or near the top of your list of good music these days, I'd recommend it.

I, Robot (Widescreen Edition)
I, Robot (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Will Smith
Price: $7.99
323 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Robot, March 11, 2006
Personally, I thought this movie was very cool. I'm not familiar with Isaac Asimov, so I can't speak from the perspective of someone who has read his books. I don't know how much or how little it matches up with the books. But from someone who hasn't read the books, I thought the movie was very good. You don't have to listen to anyone's advice about it though, go check it out yourself.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha PA3C Power Adapter, March 11, 2006
I had recently bought a Yamaha YPT-200 keyboard but it didn't come with an adapter. The power adapter works great, since I don't have to waste batteries anymore.

Initial D
Initial D
DVD ~ Shawn Yue
9 used & new from $6.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial D, March 10, 2006
This review is from: Initial D (DVD)
It's hard to give a review of this, because it could go either way. Some people like it and some people don't, but I don't think you'd be able to tell until you've watched it. Personally, I liked the live action movie--I liked the anime better, but the live action was still pretty cool. There are obviously changes that the directors made that many people won't like, but... Overall, I liked it, and if you haven't seen it, check it out and see for yourself.

Creative TravelSound 200 Portable Speaker System
Creative TravelSound 200 Portable Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars TravelSound 200, October 15, 2005
I just received a Zen Micro for a gift, but it was kind of annoying to use headphones all the time when I was at home. I wanted something small and at a good price, and found this product. I think it's awesome. It's perfect for background music when hanging out in my room. It's portable too, so you can take it anywhere. Rechargable batteries are useful too.