Profile for Thomas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas RSS Feed (Grand Rapids, MI, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
1000 Masterpieces of Painting : Nudes
1000 Masterpieces of Painting : Nudes
by Ramon de Jesus Rodriguez
25 used & new from $3.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money!, March 5, 2015
While there are probably 1000 nudes here, the design is ugly, the pictures are tiny (granted it's a small book anyway, but still, the text takes up too much space), and the printing quality is awful. The reproductions are all too bright and it makes the bodies look flat and featureless.
The other problem is about 75% of the nudes are pre 18th century, and not very interesting, at least to me. There are other, much better, books with all nudes.

Edgar Degas: Drawings and Pastels
Edgar Degas: Drawings and Pastels
by Christopher Lloyd
Price: $23.35
35 used & new from $23.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book!, December 21, 2014
This is a wonderful book full of drawings, watercolors, and pastels. As with all books produced by the Getty Museum that I have seen, it is top quality in reproductions, writing, and organization. I got it from the library and liked it so much I ordered a copy. I love his drawings and it's wonderful to have so many of them together in one book. Personally, I like smaller books and the size for me is fine. Some art books are so large that it is difficult to hold them up to read. If you enjoy drawings or like to draw this book will inspire you.

Lost On The River [Deluxe Version]
Lost On The River [Deluxe Version]
Price: $11.99
64 used & new from $7.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 28, 2014
I listened to this 3 or 4 times and I can't remember anything about it except the songs by Rhiannon Giddens, which are good, and a ridiculous song like card shark. The songs sound forced and the album as a whole is disjointed. It's obvious why Dylan never used these, he knew they weren't worth it.
If you've ever heard Mermaid Avenue and are expecting something similar, you'll be disappointed. The results are mostly mediocre and how all these reviewers can give this 5 stars is baffling. I hope Bob doesn't hear this.

John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes 1908–1913: The Complete Paintings, Volume VIII (The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art)
by Richard Ormond
Price: $41.77
38 used & new from $33.49

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Watercolors, you'll love this!, September 11, 2014
I have all the volumes in this wonderful series and this one is fantastic, especially if you love his watercolors. Since it focuses on his travels to his favorite painting locations, it's full of variations and alternative views of scenes and models we've seen before. I'm totally in awe of his ability to capture the essence of any subject. You've seen those amazing watercolors of harbors with boats and reflections, well, guess what, there's a lot more of them you've never seen. These volumes are of the highest quality and worth every penny. The authors have done justice to his legacy and I'm so glad they did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 3:27 AM PST

All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray + DVD)
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ Jane Wyman
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $24.69
32 used & new from $19.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, June 24, 2014
I'd never seen this film until I bought the Blu-ray version. It's very well done and presents a woman's point of view in a unique way for 1950's Hollywood. Rock Hudson, never a favorite of mine, gives a fine performance as does Jane Wyman.
The transfer and colors in the film are stunning! I've never seen any more beautiful reds and blues in a film. Every aspect of the production is top notch and attention to detail, both in the film itself and the Blu-ray release, make the purchase worthwhile. I will watch it again for sure.

Japanese Movie - Color 4 Ozu - Eien Naru Ozu Color Ozu Yasujiro Kantoku Color 4 Saskuhin (English Subtitles) Blu-Ray Box (4BDS) [Japan LTD BD] SHBR-223
Offered by YUKI-JAPAN
Price: $229.00
19 used & new from $156.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful color!, May 11, 2014
If you love these films like I do then this is worthwhile purchase. The color and detail in the films is lovely and noticeably better than the original criterion DVDs. The nice thing is that Japanese Blu-Ray is compatible with U.S. Blu-Ray, so there's no problem there. Only wish Ozu had lived longer so there were more films to enjoy.

John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1900-1907: The Complete Paintings, Volume VII (The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art)
by Richard Ormond
Price: $41.77
40 used & new from $34.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Sargent volume!, March 5, 2014
There a few ridiculous reviews of this book, including a one star review. I'm not sure what book they got, but it wasn't this one. This is every bit as wonderful as the other six volumes in this series.
A few people complained about the quality of the reproductions. If you read the captions you would realize that some of the reproductions are from "untraced" paintings. They put in the only photo available. This is a catalog raisonne ( may have spelled that wrong) it is not just a book of nice reproductions. If they want a coffee table book of full page photos, there are many available.
Anyway, as a painter, I love studies, sketchy watercolors and the like. Sargent remains for me one the most talented artists ever. Has anyone ever shown such "joy" through paint? Such breadth of technique in so many areas? Not that I know of. This only confirms that and I hope the next volume arrives soon! I'm scared they may quit or not finish.

The Inheritor's Powder: A Tale of Arsenic, Murder, and the New Forensic Science
The Inheritor's Powder: A Tale of Arsenic, Murder, and the New Forensic Science
by Sandra Hempel
Price: $16.04
62 used & new from $1.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Put-downable, January 25, 2014
I wanted to enjoy this book but I found it hard to follow. It sounds like an interesting case initially but she goes into details that don't seem to me to be important to the story. She goes on and on about the duties of a maid-of-all-work in the first chapter, and tells you the complete family tree of the Bodle family. There just isn't enough here to fill a book, it should have been an article or one section in a larger book. The author needs to read the Penquin Famous Trials series and learn how to write about a case.

Jack Richeson Yarka Student Semi Moist Watercolor, Set of 12
Jack Richeson Yarka Student Semi Moist Watercolor, Set of 12
Price: $10.17
10 used & new from $5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, October 23, 2013
I've used many different watercolors sets over the years in my middle school art classes and these are easily the best value for the money. They are actually very good quality paints rather than the normal very cheap pigments used in other inexpensive sets. Plus, they give you a lot more paint than others I've bought for the kids. Granted, the color selection is not very good, but for the price, they are excellent.

Buddy and Jim
Buddy and Jim
Price: $11.05
58 used & new from $3.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Buddy and Jim (Audio CD)
This is a mixed bag, some good, some mediocre material. I'm a big Jim Lauderdale fan and maybe that spoils me for this. The songwriting on his albums is so strong, that when you hear some of the songs on here, they just don't hold up to repeated listening. I find myself skipping over 4 or 5 songs when I play it.

Page: 1 | 2