Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation STEM
Profile for A. Weil > Reviews

Browse

A. Weil's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Weil RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Car Mount, TechMatte MagGrip Air Vent Magnetic Universal Car Mount Holder for Smartphones including iPhone 6, 6S, Galaxy S7, S6 Edge - Black
Offered by TechMatte
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly simple, works flawlessly, April 13, 2015
This is a great solution. It's incredibly simple to use, allows the phone to be rotated easily to portrait or landscape, and is understated when not in use. The magnet works great - I assume you need something much heavier than an iPhone 6 to worry about it falling off. Also, if you're hitting any bumps that dislodge it, you're likely off-roading or in desperate need of a new suspension. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a no-tools mount in their car.

Polk Audio UltraFit 3000 Headphones - Black (ULTRAFIT 3000BLK)
Polk Audio UltraFit 3000 Headphones - Black (ULTRAFIT 3000BLK)
Offered by A Top Shelf
Price: $48.41
15 used & new from $35.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design and quality - get the Sennheiser PMX 680i, June 19, 2012
I had high hopes for these headphones. I got an incredible 3 years out of a pair of Sennheiser PMX 680is (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX-680i-Sports-Headset/dp/B003WVA6M6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1340102018&sr=8-7&keywords=senheiser+adidas), but alas the control button stopped working and eventually one of the channels started to cut out, so it was time for a replacement.

The one thing I thought I was trading up for was fit - instead of dealing with the plastic wrap-around headpiece on the 680is I figured I'd get something snug to my head. I run 5k every day, and lift and do sports-related training for 45 minutes/day straight after my run. It was the transition from running to anything that included rolling or lying down that would frustrate me a bit with the 680i's. So, the review...

Sound - fair. How folks were blown away by the sound of these I don't understand. The sound is decent, but nothing special in the low or high frequencies.

Fit - surprisingly awful. They fit over your ear, like most in this category, with the exception that the ear buds provide some options for a noise-isolating fit. The control remote is horribly designed - on my body it falls directly over my sternum. When running, it's really not a good place for the remote - if it's over my shirt it's flapping around like mad (they give you a clip - the clip is useless given the position of the remote), and if it's under my shirt it gets wet with sweat and starts shorting to skip songs, fast forward, turn on voice command, etc. Beyond that, due to the shape of the over-the-ear portion of the buds, sweat flows down into your ear canal. While running, about half way into it when sweat is flowing freely, sweat will start to pool in my ear and I have to remove the bud, wipe my ear and the bud, and then put it back in (I have no idea why folks talk about the 1/4-turn fit nonsense - the buds will fit into your ear without that, but no matter how you position them the sweat issue continues). I've tried various tips (they send an assortment), but none is much better.

Control remote - garbage. It shorted out almost immediately, and it's almost not a surprise given where it's positioned and how you attach it. There's a reassuring-looking connection with a rubber boot when you plug in the comically short ear bud portion of the headphones (it's long enough to use with an iPod nano clipped to my collar - but that's it), but b/c of where it lays on my body, I put it under my shirt so it's not a distraction (hooks on handlebars when biking, on machines when lifting, and cord noise when running). What I'm describing is over-engineering - they have a 12-inch cord attached to the buds, then two longer extensions you can plug in (one with the controller, the other just an extension). Why? Who knows - the older Sennheiser Adidas headphones employed that flawed design and they engineered past it. Maybe Polk will catch up. It took just one 30 minute run for the remote to start shorting out, and after 2 weeks it stopped working altogether.

So, long story short, these are a major disappointment (complete waste of money - there's really nothing redeeming I can say about these) and a $60 lesson learned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2014 2:52 PM PST

Chef's Choice 679 Cordless 1-3/4-Quart Electric Glass Kettle
Chef's Choice 679 Cordless 1-3/4-Quart Electric Glass Kettle
Price: $57.94
28 used & new from $57.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Yep, lid broke, January 9, 2012
This _was_ a great kettle.
It's not quiet, but we don't really care about that.
It's nice that you can boil any quantity of water - there's no minimum level.
It's always clean - no calcium/scale issues, and water boils quickly.
We never noticed any smells outside of the standard from unpacking, and all it takes is a wash and that disappears.

Alas, after a year, the lid has broken - both the plastic ring around my lid, and the release mechanism. It's usable, but annoying - we pry the lid open with a finger in the spout, and smack the top to close it. It's usable, but we're going to buy a different model, probably the Chef's Choice 681 Cordless Electric Kettle.

elago S4 Slim Fit Case for AT&T and Verizon iPhone 4/4S with Logo Protection Film Sport Yellow
Offered by elago design
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, good protection, awesome finish and color, July 22, 2011
I love yellow, but this case really works too. It's very low profile, but still absorbs shocks nicely and maintains its finish. I would definitely recommend this.

Insten Gym Running Sport Armband Case Compatible With iPhone 4 4G OS4 IOS4 iPhone 4S AT&T, Sprint, Version 16GB 32GB 64GB
Offered by Eforcity
Price: $5.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Why get anything else?, July 22, 2011
This case has a slightly less elastic strap than other more expensive alternatives, but it works so well and is so inexpensive, who cares? My iPhone 4 fits great, even with the anti-glare screen protector it slides easily in and out without affecting the screen protector at all. Definitely recommended.

Sennheiser Adidas PMX 680i Sports Headset (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sennheiser Adidas PMX 680i Sports Headset (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by AlphaDailyDeals
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $59.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running headphones I've tried yet, July 22, 2011
These headphones are awesome. I have their ear bud cousins, but those are awful - they sound great, but they don't stay in after the first month or so when the rigid rubber ear "prongs" soften up a bit. These phones stay put - you'll forget they're on altogether which amazed me and was a first for me - and only if I lay on a bench, which you get used to doing, do I ever feel the part behind my head. The iPhone/iPad controls are fantastic - I read the reviews about the buttons being hard to push but I'm of the fat-fingered variety and have no issue whatsoever moving tracks back and forth while running, even when I'm winded toward the end of my workout. I would recommend these to anyone who runs, works out, or even actively walks - simply awesome!

Lasko 4916 Desktop Wind Tower Oscillating Fan
Lasko 4916 Desktop Wind Tower Oscillating Fan
Price: $25.42
43 used & new from $21.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome desk fan, July 22, 2011
Ah the sweltering heat dome this summer has brought...and I get to work every day when the A/C has just been switched on and hasn't had a chance to cool the office yet. This fan is great to cool me back down so I can focus sooner, and with the low setting and oscillation turned on, it really makes it more enjoyable to be at my desk. The fan is low-profile and quiet, and even when it's oscillating you can barely notice it (you barely see or hear it, you feel the air). Highly recommended.

Woodees IESW100V Vintage Noise Isolating Earphones with 3 Button Microphone (Sunburst)
Price: $57.29
2 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated: JUNK!, July 22, 2011
I'll leave my original review below to be fair. Two weeks ago these died. I had problems with the microphone for quite awhile; a few weeks after I started to use these buds people were complaining of a distracting echo, but I figured I had lint in the microphone opening. The mic intermittently allowed a call without complaints. But two weeks ago voice command started coming on, tracks would pause or skip, and if I was in the phone app calls would be launched or disconnected. I'm sure a strand or two broke inside just where the rubber cover ends by the jack. I am neither abusive nor overly cautious about my earphones, but these clearly sacrifice function for style with the overly flexible cover on the cord by the jack (as opposed to a rigid l-shaped or even straight cover), and the amp cable weave insulation instead of a more practical rubberized covering.

Deep rich base they certainly do not have. I came from a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre Studio headphones - which are garbage, but have deep rich base - and if you literally take the Beats out and put these in, they sound like a tin can. Adjust the equalizer on the iPhone and give yourself a respite between a different pair though, and these are great. I like the mids and hi's, and these are the most securely fitting in-ear daily wear headphones I've used so far. The iPhone integration is flawless, and they look and work great (the woven cord tangles less than the fancy, schmancy Beats flat cord) for listening to music and advancing tracks back and forth. BUT the microphone is crap. There is a jarring echo for folks you speak with, and automated systems quickly cycle to the "I'm sorry you're having difficulty" message due to the feedback the microphone creates. So - if you want a great pair of phones for music, that look great, are lightweight, and different from the sea of Monster and Bose headphones everyone else on the street is wearing, these are awesome. But if you're concerned about using these phones for calls, keep looking.

Geoworld Dino Excavation Kit - T-Rex Skeleton
Geoworld Dino Excavation Kit - T-Rex Skeleton
2 used & new from $44.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Triceratops is better, July 22, 2011
The title sums it up - these are cute toys for kids to chip out of a block of chalky plaster, but the triceratops version snaps together into a better toy. The T-Rex is poorly fitting and falls apart. Sure, with krazy glue (super glue doesn't hold as well given the tiny contact points...from experience borne of numerous attempts) it holds together better, but there are still gaps between the bones where the triceratops snapped together without glue and more tightly. I don't know that the kids care about the gaps, but even with the krazy glue, they don't play with this toy nearly as much as it's cousin because the legs are loose so it's constantly toppling over when they set it down. T-Rex is most kids superhero dinosaur, certainly the most popular, but this T-Rex disappoints.

X-9 Rocket Play Tent
X-9 Rocket Play Tent

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but flimsy, July 22, 2011
This review is from: X-9 Rocket Play Tent (Toy)
This tent sent my kids to cloud 9 when they got it. They were so excited to have their very own rocket ship! But parents beware - this tent is very poorly sewed. Given the tall, slender profile kids can't help but to stand up, and since there's no room to move when standing - and if you have boys, those outside the ship will help - they will constantly be falling over in the tent. It's not dangerous, or not any moreso than falling over while playing, but the tent doesn't fare very well for very long. Still, for the price and the initial reaction - and if you have smaller kids (mine are 2.5 and 4) or less rambunctious ones, it's a good buy.

Page: 1 | 2