Profile for Aunt Aggie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aunt Aggie RSS Feed (Arizona)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Scottish Rebel (Signet)
The Scottish Rebel (Signet)
by Emma Lange
50 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Something off, April 18, 2010
Tessa, our heroine, has been raised by her Scottish grandfather who passionately hated all things English. He has disowned his daughter, Honoria, since she married an Englishman years ago. However, upon his death, Tessa discovers her Aunt Honoria is her new guardian. Childless Honoria, wanting to meet her only living relative and perhaps find her a husband, sends her godson, Nick, to fetch Tessa to England. And the battle of wills begins.

What was off to me was the first half of this book. I could appreciate fiesty Tessa not wanting to go to England having been raised by her grandfather even though some of her antics were irritatingly unthought out. What I could not abide was Nick's high-handedness. Having seen a picture of Tessa, he first comes across her dressed as her own servant and decides to teach her a lesson by forcing Tessa to kiss him. Oh...so had she truly been a servant, this behavior by Nick was to be expected and accepted? Perhaps so in these times, but chalk up the first black mark for unhero-like behavior. The scene that was hardest for me to swallow was Nick spanking Tessa and making her kneel on a dirt floor between his legs while he forced her to apologize for her latest escapade in trying to escape him. Way too humilating and degrading for me to like this arrogant hero.

The second half of the book improved somewhat although Nick never gets the dressing down I believe he well deserved. And how is it I have picked two books in a week that has the mistress (married no less) floating among the good family members as though she is better than she should be. No wonder women fought for their independence.

Runaway Heart
Runaway Heart
by Martha Powers
23 used & new from $2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying read, April 17, 2010
Arabella has spent the last 7 years isolated on her deceased father's estate under the guardianship of mean Uncle Derwent. Bella has been living a meager life believing she is quite poor. Bella overhears Uncle D insisting his son marry her so he will have control over her inheritance before she turns 23 - only two years away. Bella gathers her wits and decides to find employment and hide in London until she can inherit. Never will she marry and put herself under a man's thumb again.

Bella rescues and nurses Tristram after he is shot along her way to London. Tristram guesses Bella is a runaway and offers her a position as governess/companion to his 9 year old son. Tristram is still suffering from a bad marriage and never will he marry again. There is a mystery in who is trying to do away with Tristram and will Uncle Derwent find Bella in London?

This was a satisfying read in that there were no contrived misunderstandings and the cast of characters were true to themselves. Good pace to the story and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A Marriage of Inconvenience (A Candlelight Romance #98)
A Marriage of Inconvenience (A Candlelight Romance #98)
by Janet Louise Roberts
5 used & new from $0.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Or How to be a Successful Doormat, April 15, 2010
E. Lynch has written a wonderful review of this book. I just didn't get the same feeling. The marriage was supposed to have been between the heroine's sister and our hero. He needed to marry and stay married for one year to collect his inheritance. Before running off with another man, the sister convinces our heroine to step in for her - afterall, after one year, the hero will probably leave heroine handsomely well off. She wants to write and travel. Unfortunately, she falls in love with her husband.

The heroine is an intelligent and caring person who lets her husband treat her badly emotionally. I mean really - his mistress and others show up and stay in their home right after the marriage and he spends most of his time with the mistress?! And more. Meanwhile, the heroine nearly works herself to a frazzle talking to and caring for the tenants, planning meals and entertainment for everyone's benefit while...yep, the hero spends time with his mistress. Except when said hero finds his way to her bed. At which time our heroine can't help but melt at his simplest touch.

I could not help but like the heroine anyway, she was aptly portrayed as just a very good person despite being a doormat. I could not like the hero even at the finish of the story. When the hero finally offers up an explanation for his behavior at the very end, it seemed too little too late to me.

The Savage Lord Griffin (Regency Romance)
The Savage Lord Griffin (Regency Romance)
by Joan Smith
41 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A light read, April 15, 2010
Lord Griffin jaunted off to Brazil leaving his fiancee behind. Having not heard from him for nearly 5 years she, as well as everyone else, assumes he is dead. Not so. He reappears to find his fiancee engaged to an atypical Duke with the wedding looming in a mere month. At this point I termed the book quirky when both men decided to remain engaged to the lady and may the better man win her hand. The real heroine of the story is the fiancee's sister who has loved Lord Griffin forever but takes a backseat to her sister. Although the basis for the plot is somewhat silly, the surprising thing about this story is that the author has fleshed out the characters enough that it is easy to enjoy this Regency.

The Hampshire Hoyden
The Hampshire Hoyden
by Michelle Martin
30 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fun, April 12, 2010
I agree with the previous reviews. This was a fun Regency with witty repartee that kept me chuckling most of the way through. The revenge of the revenge part was over the top but thankfully the author kept it short. The good guys made me smile (although there was a time or two I wanted to smack Sir William for gullibility) and the bad guys had me clenching my fingers more tightly around the book. I was amazed I was so involved. lol The ending came fast and without as much clever dialogue as most of the book which was a bit of a disappointment. Nevertheless...

This is a very fine Regency novel. I could enjoy more of this type and I do plan to read this again.

The Cynic (Harlequin Regency Romance, 83)
The Cynic (Harlequin Regency Romance, 83)
by Elizabeth Michaels
41 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars One star is one too many, April 12, 2010
This was a terrible read. We are told the hero is cynical. hmph He was 40 and too old to be so "charmed" by the heroine. We don't find out he is charmed until the author tells us at the end of the book. Too hard to swallow, even for a Regency. I'm thinking the author meant to portray the heroine as independent, strong and feisty. In fact, she was irritating, stubborn, foolish and a shrew. Never once was she charming, nor even nice, and there was no chemistry between the H/H ever. As quite often happens, there were misunderstandings - many of them - amongst all the characters. Too many of them became frustrating and topped off an already total irritation with the characters.

It may be a quick read but it is totally unsatisfying. Just this side of beating your head against a wall. Maybe.

A Christmas Gambol
A Christmas Gambol
by Joan Smith
12 used & new from $3.43

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so great, November 13, 2009
This review is from: A Christmas Gambol (Hardcover)
It is true this story has very little to do with Christmas other than that is when the story ends. It may be that this is the first story I have read by the author but, I thought the writing style was juvenile (especially the short, choppy sentences), the character development very shallow and the characters rather like stick figures moving about, drawing no emotion from the reader at all. It is a quick read but I did not think an enjoyable one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2010 3:11 PM PDT

Ruthless Lord Rule
Ruthless Lord Rule
by Kasey Michaels
55 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlikeable heroine, October 30, 2009
Lord Rule is a spy and Miss Mary Lawrence is a mystery. Is she a spy for Napoleon forces? Lord Rule wishes to find out. Along the way they fall in love. But it is a very long, long way to get there. And by that time I, for one, really didn't care. As a matter of fact, I was kinda hoping she would disappear and Lord R could find himself a decent gal. Mary comes off as annoying, shallow, confrontational, hard-hearted and, in general, a spoiled brat throughout the entire story.

I have read a couple of other books by this author that I liked. If you are writing a story yourself, I can recommend reading this book to avoid the pitfall of creating a most unenjoyable "heroine".

The Enigmatic Rake
The Enigmatic Rake
by Anne O'Brien
63 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for writing flow, October 24, 2009
My first read of Anne O'Brien. I liked her use of words and the easy flow. With that said, however, I missed emotional ups and downs. I was not happy, anxious or sad reading this story.

This is the 3rd book in the Faringdon series and perhaps I would have enjoyed it more had I read the other two first as characters from those stories were often referred to in this one. There might have been more of a connection.

Lord Joshua Sherbourne Faringdon is a spy and not the rake everyone believes. Miss Sarah Russell is a widow with an unhappy past and is connected through previous events to the Faringdon family. She becomes Lord F's housekeeper when he returns to England after a debacle in France. They marry without Lord F explaining his true occupation. All is eventually known and they finally declare their love for each other. That's it. Not much excitement but the writing managed to hold my interest.

***SPOILER*** The Epilogue was a disappointment. It had nothing to do with Lord and Lady F. The story ended with characters from a previous book in the series. I can only think this might have been satisfying if I had read the first 2 books.

Spirit of the Mist
Spirit of the Mist
by Janeen O'Kerry
55 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not a "light" romp but..., October 5, 2009
I liked this book. I was in the mood to read something light with perhaps a little mystical thrown in and thought part way through that I should have picked another book. However, with that said, I found myself unable to stop reading. There are only two reasons I don't stop reading - I am either trying to slug through the book or, I'm enjoying the read.

The story is kind of fantasy/mystical. The hero and heroine are both likeable. If you like medieval, I think you might just like this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4