Profile for falstaff > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

falstaff RSS Feed (Santa Monica, CA USA)

iPhone 5S Case, iPhone 5 Case, New Trent Trentium Full-Body Rugged [Splash Resistant/Dirt/Shockproof] for the Apple iPhone 5S/5 [Built-in Screen Protector]-3 Back Plates Black/Silver/Gold Included
Offered by idealpoint
Price: $59.95
2 used & new from $15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this to generally be an excellent rugged case, September 3, 2014
I found this to generally be an excellent rugged case. I typically use slimmer, less protective cases, but found this to be slim enough to not dramatically add too much bulk or heft to my phone.

The screen protector is built-in, which means you don't have to worry about applying one, which saves you from the annoyances of trying to apply one manually and ensures that the phone is well protected. Additionally, all of the ports of covered, and while I didn't test it, the case seems like it would do an excellent job of keeping the phone safe. All of the controls were still easy to use, and the only annoyance was trying to get to the mute/unmute toggle, but I think this case does an admirable job in trying to protect the phone.

Another nice feature is the ability to switch out colored back plates that can match the three different iPhone colors.

My only criticism is that the instructions on the back of the box were not comprehensive. I wasn't sure how to swap the covers on and off, since it wasn't printed directly on the back. There are instructions inside, but it should have been made more clear. Also, the back covers went on snugly, but it wasn't always clear if they were on correctly.

i-Blason Apple iPad Mini Smart Cover Compatible Back Cover SoftGel TPU back case (Front Smart Cover Not Included, Back cover Only) Frost Clear
Offered by i-BLASON

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic protection and comfort to complement the Apple Smart Cover, November 20, 2013
I've been on the prowl for a good protective back for my iPad mini. With my previous iPad, I used a plastic case from another manufacturer, but found it to be too flimsy. Additionally, the plastic backs often have a hard edge or lip to the device which can make it uncomfortable to hold. I bought a TPU case for my iPhone 5, and immediately fell in love.

Since I'd already invested in a Smart Cover, I wanted something that would protect the rest of the device. This back cover is a fantastic option. It fits snugly and securely on the device, and doesn't have too much give. Additionally, it covers the ports well where necessary, and has the appropriate cut-outs at the bottom without leaving the entire area exposed (as some cases do).

The case has a nice textured feel along the back, and a more soft and gummy lip around the device that makes it incredibly comfy to hold. Additionally, the case doesn't add much bulk or weight to the device.

My only complaint is not the fault of the manufacturer, but is that the Smart Cover can't sit flush against the screen. Ultimately, there is no way to both have a protective bumper and also have the Apple Smart Cover lie flat, so I don't hold this against i-Blazon. Also, the magnet is still strong enough to hold the cover down.

New Trent Travelpak plus 7000mAh 5V 3.1A Dual USB Output with Built-In AC Wall Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect travel companion, September 2, 2013
I'm always looking for ways to reduce the weight of my gear bag, and the ability to combine a wall charger with a backup battery is a great help. What I like about the New Trent NT700C compared to others is:
- Has 2 USB ports that can charge 2 iPads simultaneously. I've been looking for something that can do this for a long time, and many competitors either only have a single higher-voltage USB port or don't have the battery + charger ability. When only charging a single device, it is lightning-fast.
- The on/off switch cannot be accidentally pressed, so I never find myself with an empty backup battery.
- The fold-out prongs make it easy to travel with, and I can't overstate how nice it is to have a travel charger and battery in a single unit.
- There is a battery level indicator that makes it easy to know how much charge remains. Some other units don't offer this feature.

The only cons to me are:
- The level indicator light is always on when charging. While this can be a nice nightlight, it is fairly bright and I'd prefer it if there was a way to turn the charging light off, or if there was a that it wouldn't always remain lit.
- The unit is fairly square, which makes it a bit bulky, it fits easily in a backpack, but isn't quite thin enough to fit in a slimmer bag.

In general, I've been incredibly pleased with my purchase, and recommend it to anyone looking to lighten their gadget load when traveling.

Sony NEX-3NL/B Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Kit (Black)
Sony NEX-3NL/B Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Kit (Black)
40 used & new from $229.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Beginner's Serious Camera, May 26, 2013
I previously have been a big fan of premium compact cameras, and carried a Canon S95 around on all of my trips. However, in preparation for an upcoming vacation, I decided to take the step up to an interchangeable lens system. I looked into similar Micro Four Thirds offerings from competitors, but decided to give the Sony a try because it has a larger image sensor than similar models from other makers.

I've been absolutely thrilled with this camera. Setup was simple and I felt comfortable with it almost immediately. While the menu system certainly has depth to it, it still feels intuitive, and no part of the camera has been intimidating. In fact, I feel like it is a camera I can grow into and a great one to learn more about photography with.

However, the real test is the quality of the photos, and the camera excels here. I continue to be blown away by how good everything looks, even when I mostly keep it on "Intelligent" mode. Low-light performance has been fantastic, even without the flash. My pictures all come out crisp and vivid, and my friends are amazed by just how fantastic everything looks when I've shared them to Facebook. Also, the camera is incredibly light-weight, and I got a simple sling bag to carry it around, and it definitely doesn't weigh me down.

I'm thrilled with this purchase, and now am exploring some cheaper lenses to start playing with. I would certainly recommend this camera to any enthusiast looking to step up into the world of interchangeable lens cameras who wants something light and simple that never fails to take a great photo.

Plantronics Voyager Pro HD Bluetooth Headset - Compatible with iPhone, Android, and Other Leading Smartphones - Black
Price: $68.21
182 used & new from $37.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad call quality, worse customer service, October 1, 2012
I have been a fan of the Plantronics Voyager series for many years, and my last headset lasted a long time and had solid call quality. When it eventually broke I decided to upgrade to the Voyager Pro HD, which at the time was the latest model in the lineup. Once I received the device and paired it with my phone, I immediately noticed a substantial drop in call quality. I have tried different headsets with the phone, and have isolated this issue to the headset. The static and call noise is noticeable on both ends of the call.

I called Plantronics to arrange a replacement, since I thought that perhaps I had a faulty unit. As I went through the RMA process, I was informed that I had to pay to return the product and that I'd receive a refurbished unit. Considering that it is their fault that the product is defective, it seems like they should provide a prepaid shipping label for the return. Unfortunately, they refused to do this when I asked, so now I'm forced to pay even more money to just get a hopefully-working version of a sub-standard product.

I'm very disappointed with Plantronics and the Voyager lineup, and probably will move to Blue Ant or Jawbone for my next headset.

Canon 4508B002 CanoScan LiDE210 Scanner
Canon 4508B002 CanoScan LiDE210 Scanner
Offered by U.S. Liquidation
Price: $149.95
9 used & new from $80.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Prone to Dust Under the Surface, May 20, 2012
While the scanner itself in terms of features and functionality has worked flawlessly, the product is unusable because it ships with dust trapped under the glass scanning surface (platen). I have used compressed air and lens cleaning cloths to verify that it isn't dust on the surface that can be removed. Unfortunately, the large flecks of dust trapped underneath mean that there are consistent blemishes on every photo, which renders the scanner largely unusable.

I contacted Canon support, who shipped me a refurbished unit (they wouldn't send a new one). After examining the replacement, it was even worse than the original. I am currently waiting for my third scanner, but I would certainly avoid this model if you are looking to scan anything meaningful or important, because it is impossible to due for archival purposes.

Polaroid Studio Series Z340 Instant Digital Camera Case - Black
Polaroid Studio Series Z340 Instant Digital Camera Case - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality - fell apart easily, January 24, 2012
I purchased this case to hold my new Z340 camera. After only using it a handful of times, one of the zippers broke off and literally fell apart. It is disappointing to see this case be constructed of such poor materials. At this point, I'm going to explore cases at a local store to see what else might fit the camera.

Samsung LN40C550 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV (Black)
Samsung LN40C550 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Plagued with Issues, April 17, 2010
i actually received this set as from Samsung as a replacement for a 37 inch model that they no longer make. unfortunately, this television has also been plagued with problems. let me preface this by saying as far as picture quality and overall appearance go, this is a fantastic set. however, there are 3 fatal flaws that are causing me to return it.

1) audio clipping issues: regardless of the audio source, the television exhibits audio clipping and dropouts where the sound will temporarily disappear. this causes a very quick, but incredibly annoying, loss in audio. this occurs regardless of input source.

2) auto-dimming issues: the set features special settings to automatically adjust the brightness levels to conserve energy and optimize the the tv for low-light settings. however, even after turning off all of these options, the tv still auto-dims. obviously, this degrades from the experience.

3) poor DLNA codec support: one of the most exciting features for me about this set is that it is compatible with DLNA home media servers. i was hoping to be able to stream my content to this set. however, the television has very poor codec support. it cannot play many common file formats and codecs. even after transcoding the files, the set often fails to play them. in addition, the set doesn't support fast-forward or rewind on streaming media, which makes watching a movie very difficult.

i really wanted to like this set, and was excited to receive it, but unfortunately, i think this will be the last Samsung TV i ever own.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2011 6:19 AM PDT