Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for ChomskyKnows > Reviews

Browse

ChomskyKnows' Profile

Customer Reviews: 270

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ChomskyKnows "ChomskyKnows" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
FLAT Cable HDMI 25 Feet - 2.0 - High Speed HDMI Flat Wire ( 2 PACK - 7.6 Meter / 25 FT Each ) By Ultra Clarity - CL3 Rated - Audio Return Channel ( ARC ) 4K Ultra HD 2160p / Bandwidth up to 18Gbps / 3D HD 2 X 1080p Ready - 25FT White Cord with Gold Tip Connector
Offered by Ultra Clarity Cables
Price: $34.95
2 used & new from $17.77

3.0 out of 5 stars 1 worked 1 didn't., June 25, 2016
I purchased 2 x 25ft FLAT cables and 2 x 35ft FLAT cables. I needed a very thin or flat cable cable of HDMI2 / HDCP 2.2 and all that jazz to install in a very very tight fit in a shallow wall. I have a 4K TV but do not yet have any 4K / HDR source players and I'm not clear how these cables will achieve actual 4K.

These cables were tested in 3 ports of a 2016 LG 4K TV with an Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, WiiU and WIi (with HDMI converter). Again, none of these can currently produce 4K, but all cables worked fine with 1080p except 1 25ft cable which seemed to have loose wiring inside. Later this year the Xbox One S and PS4.5 may be able to produce 4K.

NOTES:
- 3 cables worked, 1 didn't
- 1080p worked
- 3D worked
- 4K: The cables claim to have the highest bandwidth/speed possible. I don't have a way to test for this at the moment.
- CL3: I don't understand how the cables are CL3 rated. they're super thin and generally CL2/3 cables are super thick on purpose. The CL2/3 rating is supposed to be the jacket, not the wiring inside. I would assume a thicker jacket would mean better insulation.
- ARC: haven't tested and don't need at this point
- Ethernet: nobody seems to use this ever. honestly not sure what devices even make this available?

I have to rate the 25ft cables 3/5 since 1 didn't work, but will rate the 35ft cables 5/5 because they both worked (until I confirm whether or not they work at 4K).

RiteAV - Single Gang Wall Plate with Brush Bristles - White [Now Fits Larger Cables]
Offered by Ultra Spec Cables (RiteAV®)
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars good choice for LARGE number of cables, June 23, 2016
Best choice for a LARGE number of cables. If you prefer to run your cables from the source directly to the destination (for the best signal transmission or due to a shallow wall), you'll probably want one of these brush wall plate inserts, some other kind of aperture-like insert, or just an empty space with no insert whatsoever (if you have a HUGE number of cables). Every point of termination from source to destination (blu-ray player, receiver, or game console to TV for example) can cause some minor degrade in signal/resolution). For this reason, you many want to go direct, 1 cable, with no termination points in between. That's why you want this item.

This item appears to widest brush/bristle insert available.

Some of these brush inserts have an odd, pointless huge angular back protrusion thing that snags cables in the wall (which is annoying). This item does not have this back protrusion. I saw 1 review complaining about the little back tabs (which hold a bar which holds the bristles) on the insert being too big to fit inside an electrical gang box. I don't have this experience but I'm not using with an actual gang box (I'm using with an open low-volt mounting bracket). If you're buying this item, you must be running a on of cables, so I'd assume fitting a large number of cables into a regular electrical box would be pretty difficult to begin with...Not sure why anyone would do this.

MSRP is a bit high. I'd prefer an option to just buy the brush insert WITHOUT the wall plate. I pair them with screwless wall plates from Cooper Electric (which may have been rebranded by now) for a cool seamless appearance.

Seagate Game Drive for Xbox One 4TB Green (STEA4000402)
Seagate Game Drive for Xbox One 4TB Green (STEA4000402)
Price: $149.99
27 used & new from $149.50

4.0 out of 5 stars owned and in use since April 2016 and no complaints so far., June 21, 2016
owned and in use since April 2016 and no complaints so far.

- price is a tad high for some (I didn't care).
- color and style don't exactly match Xbox One or 360 consoles. the WD Passport X (2 and 3TB sizes) drive perfectly matches black Xbox One consoles (it is made specifically to match the console). WD Passport white drives (500GB up to 3TB) match Xbox One white consoles to a good degree.
- everyone and your grandma knows we'd rather have TB SSD drives for the speed, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon at this price...
- it should be noted that sometimes the Xbox One OS takes a second or 2 to recognize data on external drives. When you go to Apps and Games, sometimes they don't automatically show up instantly. This is kind of stupid, but it has nothing to do with this hard drive. I've owned several WD, Seagate drives and also SSD drives connected via USB3 and it's just the way the dumb Xbox One memory works...Hopefully they fix this when the Scorpio hits...
- I've never had any internal or external HDD, SSD or hybrid drive fail connected inside or outside of an Xbox One or 360 ever...I've had a couple of cables fail, but never a hard drive...and this one is solid as well...

LG Electronics 65UH8500 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)
LG Electronics 65UH8500 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)
Price: Click here to see our price
25 used & new from $1,747.38

4.0 out of 5 stars TOO DARK in a dark room on default settings!, June 9, 2016
- Be forewarned. As the review folks at RTings have suggested, the picture dims like crazy in a dark room on default settings. I disabled power saving completely in the settings and that's seems to be some kind of fix for the moment (I haven't adjusted picture settings extensively yet). Leaving the picture on "VIVID" looks great, but I'm told by videophiles that this is like putting a car in neutral and slamming your foot on the gas...

-----

Important discussions, settings and reviews of this TV:
RATED 7.8 / 10 on RTings.com [...]
RATED A on 4K.com [...]
AVSForum Thread on this TV: [...]
LG.com [...]

-----

STUFF
- The OS / dashboard is great, snappy and responsive. Updates and installs are fast. This model is barely a month old and it's already updated the OS and the remote. Dashboard functions you will use often such as choosing an app or switching picture options will create an overlay instead of taking you entirely away from what you were watching to a new screen, which is perfect.
- The Magic Remote is fantastic but I'll be using an old Logitech Harmony in favor of it, which performs all it's functions plus others it can't perform (like adjust lighting, etc).
- The internet browser includes a picture-in-picture function which is nice.
- Multi-view (picture-in-picture) works as it should. Play an Xbox or PS game while watching TV among other things.
- Passive 3D works perfectly. I'm not a fan of 3D. Certain things like text are blurry to me, but that's my eyes, not this TV...My gf reports no blur whatsoever...There are too few titles in 3D for an adult with a functioning brain to care about.
- OTA on-board tuner works fine pulling in nearly all available channels in the area.
- There are too few 4K and HDR sources and materials available to comment on 4K and HDR at this time but the TV will be ready for this future. I will report back when 4K devices like Xbox One S, Scorpio and PS4 Neo come around...
- Speakers are adequate for me as is but they won't win any awards. Add a sound bar or connecting to a/v receiver for a 5.1 standard setup will of course improve your experience.

ISSUES
- Vertical banding is visible in certain situations / scenes (something that should be a solid color or area will have a minor amount of vertical lines / bands / column distortion)
- I find the local dimming tech very distracting especially during very dark scenes (this my first IPS panel TV and first experience with edge-lit, local dimming and/or similar tech)
- Using "Display / Project / Connect to a Wireless Display" in Windows 10 to connect to the LG TV via it's "Screen Share" app will freeze / crash / or else connect and immediately disconnect UNLESS you choose DUPLICATE first. Choosing EXTEND first (to use the LG as an extended desktop to drag an independent window to it for example) caused my laptop to freeze or immediately disconnect. Choosing DUPLICATE works, Choosing DUPLICATE then EXTEND works. Choosing EXTEND first, does not (at least not for me). Trying to EXTEND first 3-4 times in a row gives a "driver error" (assuming it doesn't freeze first). This is probably / likely a Windows issue, not a TV issue.
- The OS / Dashboard won't allow you to remove or move the LG Content Store tab (which I will almost never use) or the Search Tab.
- Blacks during certain scenes in certain apps, evening watch modern content such as "The Leftovers" via the Xbox One's HBOnow app...well, they just look flat out gray and dreadful, sometimes devolving into digital artifacts. Meanwhile the HBOnow dashboard itself (including blacks) looks wonderful...
- The OS is missing obvious apps such as HBOnow but you can't fault the TV for it. You can assume "they're working on it".

VERDICT
This is a decent middle-of-the-road "value" set. The OS/dashboard/remote are awesome. Picture quality is fair. In buying this TV, you're sacrificing a bit of quality and saving a lot of money. An OLED will cost probably twice as much right now. A friend of mine, formerly at LG, says that despite the obvious stunning picture quality of OLED, the failure rate of current crop of OLED is major with maybe up to a 3rd of OLED sets busting in 5 years...I'm sure that will improve as the tech matures...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2016 8:14 AM PDT

BlueRigger SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Micro- B USB Cable (10 Feet)
BlueRigger SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Micro- B USB Cable (10 Feet)

2.0 out of 5 stars got 2. 1 working, other dead. not sure why. 2.5/5, December 17, 2015
got 2. 1 working, other dead. not sure why. 2.5/5. tested with xbox one, xbox 360, WD external hdd and seagate external hdd.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2016 8:41 AM PDT

Collective Minds 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure & 3 Front USB 3.0 Ports Media HUB - Xbox One
Price: $39.99
5 used & new from $25.01

5.0 out of 5 stars works fine, no complaints..., November 30, 2015
very brief review here as a lengthy one seems unnecessary. I have this attached to a new 1TB Xbox One (one of the ones with hybrid SSD/HDD internal drive). I put in a Samsung 1TB SSD drive, snapped on, seems to work perfectly. also have an additional HDD external. USB ports working fine. OS detects all drives fine. all drives working fine. no issues. interesting idea / product that blends well...no complaints.

Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Xbox One
Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Xbox One
Offered by Maximin
Price: $24.99
178 used & new from $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars literally unplayable (at first), June 10, 2015
literally unplayable. After an entire day of install/update time, I am stuck in the Queue just to log into the stupid game...

Position In Queue: 1
Approximate Wait Time: 1 second

Zenimax can't tell time very well. It's been 1 hour. Then it crashed back to the dashboard. I fired it back up. Then it said 16 minutes wait time, then it immediately went to 1 second again. I've quit the game, restarted. Restarted the console (hard reset). Nothing...

This reminds one of the horrendous SimCity launch awhile back where again people couldn't even log in...

I'm a huge fan of Bethesda Games Studio (Todd Howard's group - NOT the publisher or Zenimax). I would give Skyrim, Fallout3 and Morrowind all 5/5 and consider them all games of the year..I know none of this crap has anything to do with the actual gameplay here, but hey buddy, I ain't got nothing else to talk about. The game don't even work...Since they didn't build some kind of offline mode, their bad.

Zero stars

I see a lot of butthurt whiners in here down-voting people's reviews that complain they can't log in. What the hell is your problem? We can't log in you idiots. The game is freaking unplayable. They had what, like a year between PC and console release to figure out the bugs and squash them? Come on...this is ridiculous. I can't even get to the bugs where characters disappear and complain about bot farmers stealing my resources because....again....I literally can't log in...

"We are aware that many of you are experiencing long wait times due to overwhelming demand for ESOTU."

Wrong. You've had a year to figure this out. It's not overwhelming demand. You know exactly how many people played the PC version. You know exactly how many preorders there were...This is a clusterf*ck of poor planing and failing to invest in the necessary infrastructure so that people can even get on to play the damn thing. You could have built some kind of offline mode so people wouldn't have to put up with this nonsense at all, but you didn't....

2 hours later....nothing....

UPDATE 06/11/15

I have rechecked my router, all ports are open for XBL, NAT settings on my Xbox ONE = OPEN. I'm using a fiber optic connection with a CAT7 cable which is pointless overkill but whatever...there is nothing for me to do here. Zenimax sucks.

UPDATE 06/12/15

I'm able to play, but I've reached a point where I cannot continue on. Most/all questgivers have the invisible bug. Many players have black silhouettes where their skin/appearance doesn't load. Some creatures are invisible and can attack/kill you but you can't affect them. I created a new character to see if that would fix anything and that character was also invisible. Upon loading into the world, the character is stuck and cannot move. Jesus this game is horribly broken. Horribly...I've never seen such a sh*t show...

LAST UPDATE I HOPE

Okay it's working now so you idiots can stop the hate. It's at a 3/5 now until it glitches so bad I can't get in again. It's probably never going to go above 3/5 because:

1) there are still wait times sometimes for some people
2) some people still get booted
3) there are still non-loading character textures sometimes and invisible people
4) I've had 2 or 3 mage guild quests glitch a long way into the quest.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2015 7:59 AM PDT

Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet 2 PACK (50 Ft) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Version] - 50 Feet - 2 Pack

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, June 2, 2015
Length:: 0:16 Mins

absolute trash.

note this review is for the 50ft 2-pack. we get tons of static with these Aurum cables. they're not usable - at least not at 50ft. They're supposed to be: "Fully Shielded Heavy Duty 26 Gauge. 24k Gold Plated Connectors with braided thick 28 AWG cable core to further enhance picture quality" - this is nonsense and irrelevant. the cables are super thick, but produce an unusable image (again at least at 50ft). I can't say cables less than 50ft will have this problem.

Again, we purchase these 2 along with an additional 3rd. all produce the same trash static image. We tested 3 sources, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360. Same results. We plugged our meager paper thin Rosewill HDMI cable back in and everything is right as rain.

see video - the image cuts in and out. goes completely black, stays for a moment, completely distorted and unwatchable, then cuts to black again. other times the image is stable but filled with blue and red staticy lines...

DO NOT BUY!

Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One TV Tuners and Video Capture 1578
Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One TV Tuners and Video Capture 1578
Price: $54.49
47 used & new from $40.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Hauppauge vs Homeworx Xbox1 OTA tuners, May 28, 2015
I plugged this device into my xbox one usb port. plugged coax into this OTA tuner device. the coax runs to a very serious, Antennas Direct DB8e long range antenna on top of my house which worked fine with my previous xbox one / HomeWorx tuner setup.

The instructions for this device are nearly non-existent. It basically shows pictures of your various devices (TV, XBOX, this OTA tuner) and says something to the effect of "hook them up". I did. nothing happens. there's no picture. nothing. It looks like there are 2 LED lights on the device. They do nothing. powered off Xbox One, rebooted (hard reboot - green screen). this device still does nothing.

there is a tech support PHONE number for Hauppauge 631-434-3198 on the instructions. This is a FAX machine. Dumb. looked up actual phone # 631-434-1600. They tell me the device doesn't "seat properly" so you MUST use the included USB extension cable (guy on the phone said he had the exact same problem and sounded like he was tired of taking calls like this). I would never have thought to do that since it appears that the device DOES seat properly and the extra USB cable seems to be just an extension cable. How about making a device which "seats properly" in the first place?

so now IT WORKS. picks up 20 channels (about 5 of which are Jesus). I get 32 with Homeworx (but not all those come in for some reason). there isn't much control or options with this device which you might expect to have based on how expensive it is. I can't stretch or zoom a picture which you can do with the Homeworx...the only option available is "pause live tv" which is limited. You also have that with the Homeworx.

Note: if you're crazy (and i am) you could use a splitter and use both the Homeworx via HDMI-in and the Hauppage via USB and tune in 2 different markets if your antenna can manage to do that (or even use 2 antennae pointed in different directions). The Xbox One OS will only allow 1 market, for whatever reason, to feed the OneGuide (list of OTA channels) UNLESS you have 2 independent OTA tuner devices like this, which gives you 2...and possibly up to 27 extra channels of Jesus. Madness.

Snapping works but is still as buggy and kills memory as much as it always has...That's Microsoft's fault, not this device.

Based on my experience, the fact I almost sent it back, it's expense, and seeming inferiority to the Homeworx, 3/5.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2016 3:48 PM PST

Delta 75554 Universal Showering Components with 5 Setting Showerhead, Chrome
Delta 75554 Universal Showering Components with 5 Setting Showerhead, Chrome
Price: $19.98
35 used & new from $15.48

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent value if you found it for $9.88, April 16, 2015
excellent value. purchased at a home improvement store for $9.88. it is all plastic, but bearing the price in mind, I'd give it 4 stars. technically you might not need tools to install (you could just keep turning the unit righty tighty until you can't turn anymore) but you'll likely already have a wrench out from uninstalling your old one. I used plumber's tape (always recommended). there's not much else to say. it has various settings and they all seem to work well. the mist setting is great.

3 false things i've read in reviews here and elsewhere:
1) it leaks. it doesn't if you tighten it just like anything else. how hard is that to do really?
2) it doesn't pivot. yes it does. it does take a small amount of effort to turn (whereas most showerheads take nearly none). this is really the only thing I'd ding it on (like -0.5 stars really)...realistically you don't want to apply too much pressure just to turn a showerhead because it could loosen the thing over time - you don't want to mess with pipes. avoid touching them, shutting off knobs too hard, too abruptly, etc...leaks aren't fun.
3) low pressure. it is somewhat lower pressure and therefore lower water bill. but you can simply remove the flow restrictor. remove some black circular pieces, silver screen, and finally remove the purple piece. toss the purple piece and put everything else back...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20