Profile for ChomskyKnows > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 264

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ChomskyKnows "ChomskyKnows" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Price: $39.99
72 used & new from $32.98

3.0 out of 5 stars literally unplayable (at first), June 10, 2015
literally unplayable. After an entire day of install/update time, I am stuck in the Queue just to log into the stupid game...

Position In Queue: 1
Approximate Wait Time: 1 second

Zenimax can't tell time very well. It's been 1 hour. Then it crashed back to the dashboard. I fired it back up. Then it said 16 minutes wait time, then it immediately went to 1 second again. I've quit the game, restarted. Restarted the console (hard reset). Nothing...

This reminds one of the horrendous SimCity launch awhile back where again people couldn't even log in...

I'm a huge fan of Bethesda Games Studio (Todd Howard's group - NOT the publisher or Zenimax). I would give Skyrim, Fallout3 and Morrowind all 5/5 and consider them all games of the year..I know none of this crap has anything to do with the actual gameplay here, but hey buddy, I ain't got nothing else to talk about. The game don't even work...Since they didn't build some kind of offline mode, their bad.

Zero stars

I see a lot of butthurt whiners in here down-voting people's reviews that complain they can't log in. What the hell is your problem? We can't log in you idiots. The game is freaking unplayable. They had what, like a year between PC and console release to figure out the bugs and squash them? Come on...this is ridiculous. I can't even get to the bugs where characters disappear and complain about bot farmers stealing my resources because....again....I literally can't log in...

"We are aware that many of you are experiencing long wait times due to overwhelming demand for ESOTU."

Wrong. You've had a year to figure this out. It's not overwhelming demand. You know exactly how many people played the PC version. You know exactly how many preorders there were...This is a clusterf*ck of poor planing and failing to invest in the necessary infrastructure so that people can even get on to play the damn thing. You could have built some kind of offline mode so people wouldn't have to put up with this nonsense at all, but you didn't....

2 hours later....nothing....

UPDATE 06/11/15

I have rechecked my router, all ports are open for XBL, NAT settings on my Xbox ONE = OPEN. I'm using a fiber optic connection with a CAT7 cable which is pointless overkill but whatever...there is nothing for me to do here. Zenimax sucks.

UPDATE 06/12/15

I'm able to play, but I've reached a point where I cannot continue on. Most/all questgivers have the invisible bug. Many players have black silhouettes where their skin/appearance doesn't load. Some creatures are invisible and can attack/kill you but you can't affect them. I created a new character to see if that would fix anything and that character was also invisible. Upon loading into the world, the character is stuck and cannot move. Jesus this game is horribly broken. Horribly...I've never seen such a sh*t show...

LAST UPDATE I HOPE

Okay it's working now so you idiots can stop the hate. It's at a 3/5 now until it glitches so bad I can't get in again. It's probably never going to go above 3/5 because:

1) there are still wait times sometimes for some people
2) some people still get booted
3) there are still non-loading character textures sometimes and invisible people
4) I've had 2 or 3 mage guild quests glitch a long way into the quest.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2015 7:59 AM PDT

Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet 2 PACK (50 Ft) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Version] - 50 Feet - 2 Pack
Offered by CABLE-MIX
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $31.43

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, June 2, 2015
Length:: 0:16 Mins

absolute trash.

note this review is for the 50ft 2-pack. we get tons of static with these Aurum cables. they're not usable - at least not at 50ft. They're supposed to be: "Fully Shielded Heavy Duty 26 Gauge. 24k Gold Plated Connectors with braided thick 28 AWG cable core to further enhance picture quality" - this is nonsense and irrelevant. the cables are super thick, but produce an unusable image (again at least at 50ft). I can't say cables less than 50ft will have this problem.

Again, we purchase these 2 along with an additional 3rd. all produce the same trash static image. We tested 3 sources, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360. Same results. We plugged our meager paper thin Rosewill HDMI cable back in and everything is right as rain.

see video - the image cuts in and out. goes completely black, stays for a moment, completely distorted and unwatchable, then cuts to black again. other times the image is stable but filled with blue and red staticy lines...

DO NOT BUY!

Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One TV Tuners and Video Capture 1578
Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One TV Tuners and Video Capture 1578
Price: $59.99
3 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Hauppauge vs Homeworx Xbox1 OTA tuners, May 28, 2015
I plugged this device into my xbox one usb port. plugged coax into this OTA tuner device. the coax runs to a very serious, Antennas Direct DB8e long range antenna on top of my house which worked fine with my previous xbox one / HomeWorx tuner setup.

The instructions for this device are nearly non-existent. It basically shows pictures of your various devices (TV, XBOX, this OTA tuner) and says something to the effect of "hook them up". I did. nothing happens. there's no picture. nothing. It looks like there are 2 LED lights on the device. They do nothing. powered off Xbox One, rebooted (hard reboot - green screen). this device still does nothing.

there is a tech support PHONE number for Hauppauge 631-434-3198 on the instructions. This is a FAX machine. Dumb. looked up actual phone # 631-434-1600. They tell me the device doesn't "seat properly" so you MUST use the included USB extension cable (guy on the phone said he had the exact same problem and sounded like he was tired of taking calls like this). I would never have thought to do that since it appears that the device DOES seat properly and the extra USB cable seems to be just an extension cable. How about making a device which "seats properly" in the first place?

so now IT WORKS. picks up 20 channels (about 5 of which are Jesus). I get 32 with Homeworx (but not all those come in for some reason). there isn't much control or options with this device which you might expect to have based on how expensive it is. I can't stretch or zoom a picture which you can do with the Homeworx...the only option available is "pause live tv" which is limited. You also have that with the Homeworx.

Note: if you're crazy (and i am) you could use a splitter and use both the Homeworx via HDMI-in and the Hauppage via USB and tune in 2 different markets if your antenna can manage to do that (or even use 2 antennae pointed in different directions). The Xbox One OS will only allow 1 market, for whatever reason, to feed the OneGuide (list of OTA channels) UNLESS you have 2 independent OTA tuner devices like this, which gives you 2...and possibly up to 27 extra channels of Jesus. Madness.

Snapping works but is still as buggy and kills memory as much as it always has...That's Microsoft's fault, not this device.

Based on my experience, the fact I almost sent it back, it's expense, and seeming inferiority to the Homeworx, 3/5.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2015 1:08 PM PDT

Delta 75554 Universal Showering Components with 5 Setting Showerhead, Chrome
Delta 75554 Universal Showering Components with 5 Setting Showerhead, Chrome
Offered by Citadel Imports
Price: $19.95
36 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent value if you found it for $9.88, April 16, 2015
excellent value. purchased at a home improvement store for $9.88. it is all plastic, but bearing the price in mind, I'd give it 4 stars. technically you might not need tools to install (you could just keep turning the unit righty tighty until you can't turn anymore) but you'll likely already have a wrench out from uninstalling your old one. I used plumber's tape (always recommended). there's not much else to say. it has various settings and they all seem to work well. the mist setting is great.

3 false things i've read in reviews here and elsewhere:
1) it leaks. it doesn't if you tighten it just like anything else. how hard is that to do really?
2) it doesn't pivot. yes it does. it does take a small amount of effort to turn (whereas most showerheads take nearly none). this is really the only thing I'd ding it on (like -0.5 stars really)...realistically you don't want to apply too much pressure just to turn a showerhead because it could loosen the thing over time - you don't want to mess with pipes. avoid touching them, shutting off knobs too hard, too abruptly, etc...leaks aren't fun.
3) low pressure. it is somewhat lower pressure and therefore lower water bill. but you can simply remove the flow restrictor. remove some black circular pieces, silver screen, and finally remove the purple piece. toss the purple piece and put everything else back...

Majesty Antique Copper Patina (24x24" Pvc) Ceiling Tile
Majesty Antique Copper Patina (24x24" Pvc) Ceiling Tile
Offered by Antique Ceilings
Price: $8.50

3.0 out of 5 stars feels plastic, not metallic (I suppose because that's what it is)..., April 14, 2015
This is the best pattern I've seen after searching for weeks at Lowes, Home Deport, Menards, online at Amazon, Ebay, via sellers like AntiqueCeilings, ProCeilingTiles and others.

LIGHT WEIGHT & DURABLE
The tile itself is feather weight. So light in fact you need not remove existing tiles (just bump them up and leave them there for extra insulation). Though light, they're far more durable than another PVC tile I've used (Genesis Icon Relief - some tiles of which were so brittle they felt like they might crumble in my hands, and some edges were in fact cracked and fell off before I even picked them up).

COLOR & PATTERN
The pattern is amazing (on screen). But this is a bit deceptive. In real life, the pattern feels less ornate and detailed (simply because you're seeing a larger image versus a smaller graphic). When light reflects off the color, it does give a plastic, almost Halloween mask feel...One reviewer said they'd like to see the colors reversed (patina/turquoise on the pattern with copper in the background). I'm not sure if that would be better but I'd like to see what it'd look like. Another reviewer thought the turquoise/aqua color was too bright. I think the copper color (prominent on the edge) is also too bright. The cooper oxidized patina look isn't as weathered or unique and as I'd hoped...nor is the pattern as detailed as I thought it would be...I was hoping for a metallic look or some other kind of substance...It's just an opinion and one that's highly subjective. You could have an entirely different opinion.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much from a mass-produced process...

Polk Audio 4Shot Headphone for Xbox One (Green)
Polk Audio 4Shot Headphone for Xbox One (Green)
Price: $62.92
9 used & new from $37.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip this headset. Too many problems. Too much rigmarole. Too expensive. Still no boom mic. 2 sets tested., January 28, 2015
PRO
- good sound quality
- comfortable

NEUTRAL
- not really completely wireless. this is more likely MS's fault than anyone else. if they're not going to figure out Bluetooth then they need to figure out a no latency wireless protocol or other tech to get rid of ALL the damn wires. They get tangled up when you store them away and it's REALLY annoying. The additional adapter that plugs into the bottom of the controller is additionally annoying. It's 2015, figure it out.
- no feedback/monitoring (you can't hear yourself). MS's own headset also has this problem. Again, it's 2015. What the hell is this about? You'll be yelling to hear yourself. People that are hard-of-hearing do this. It's annoying to you and you'll be annoying to other people so that's doubly annoying.
- the color scheme / style doesn't really feel like it matches that of the Xbox. The black might pass, be the other colors don't make any sense. The green stripe in the white set doesn't match any Xbox green in their color scheme...like some jackass in marketing just said "what color should we make it?" and some other idiot said "green....those xbox jerks like green." "what type of green?" "bah, doesn't matter...let's just shove it out the door." I guess this is nitpicky but I'm not sure why? not many after-market brands out there seem to be able to figure out these very difficult concepts like color and paint.

CON
- firmware was necessary just to get things working somewhat (didn't fix the mic problem however). for a $100+ set, this seem rather lousy.
- The mic is not near your mouth so it would need to be EXTRA sensitive. It isn't. They screwed this up so bad they had to release an extra attachment to get it to work properly. I registered 2 of these headsets at polk.com, but over a month later, nothing arrived. I had to call to get them to send something and they still haven't. It would help if they would show a picture of this boom mic thing so I could see what it looks like and try to conceive of how it might help (or be yet another additional problem). Since the original mic is designed to be retractable, I assume this boom attachment will stick out and render the retractibility useless.
- Separately from the mic's insensitivity is the pressure required to get it to retract or release. I nearly sent my first set back because I had to press down so hard to get it to stick (retract inside) I thought I might break it. I thought it was broken because it wouldn't stick. A 2nd set also had this problem.
- For whatever reason, the mic didn't initially seem to work at all on either set. Flat out no response. Then after retracting and multiple times it magically worked. Will it stop working at some point? Is the connection loose? It's really hard to have faith in this product.

I tested this set with what everyone uses: Call of Duty, regular Xbox chat, Titanfall, Halo, etc...

NOTE
REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU READ IN OTHER REVIEWS OR THE Q&A, NEITHER OF MY 2 HEADSETS CAME WITH THE BOOM MIC. BOTH WERE IMMEDIATELY REGISTERED WITH POLK BUT I HAD TO CALL THEM TO GET THEM TO SEND AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T. DO NOT EXPECT THEM TO AUTOMATICALLY SEND IT TO YOU. POLK REQUESTS/REQUIRES PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU REGISTER. WHY PHONE NUMBER? THAT'S EXCESSIVE. THERE WAS NO "THANKS FOR REGISTERING YOUR POLK PRODUCT" VERIFICATION EMAIL, SO THAT SEEMED POINTLESS. WILL I NOW RECEIVE PHONE OR EMAIL SPAM? WHO KNOWS...

POLK
I own several Polk speakers and they're solidly built and work reasonably well especially considering the price. They should not have rushed this product out the door. They clearly didn't test it well enough and they obviously don't have enough (or any) experience in multiplayer gaming audio. This headset fiasco kind of tarnishes their brand just a little...Stick with Turtle Beach, Astro, the brands that have some experience and proven track records...Polk's first foot forward into gaming is a stumble...

Skip this headset. Too many problems. Too much rigmarole to deal with considering the $100+ price tag...Can't even tell you whether the boom makes anything better over a month later because I still don't have it...That's silly considering the return window to Amazon would already be closed for my 1st set...

Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Offered by extendedplay77
Price: $46.07
76 used & new from $28.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Yikes, December 5, 2014
This is the buggiest Xbox One release I've played thusfar. You'd think they'd wanna get their flagship product working right.

PROS:
- Halo 2 Anniversary. Yay! It's awesome. The switching back and forth between new/old graphics is awesome
- awesome number of mulitplayer maps (but see CONS below)
- the sheer volume of content makes this an awesome value akin to Valve's Orangebox release years ago
- awesome story-playlists to play through across campaigns
- achievements and career stats that track across all campaigns (but see CONS below)

CONS
- there are possibly too many bugs to mention
- bug fixes are breaking other things
- matchmaking is broken
- some achievements don't unlock, some unlock without you doing anything
- Halo2 progress didn't save for me while playing on legendary which is rage inducing
- the TV miniseries thing is deplorably bad. you will not care about any of these characters. it's not about Master Chief, so why even list it on the "Master Chief Collection"
- career stats listed in your game, online at xboxlive and on halo waypoint aren't consistent. it'll say you've done something in one place and in another place it'll say you haven't done it. broken.
- the terminal / halo channel on xbox one is completely broken. sometimes you'll go to a terminal and it'll access the channel and play something. sometimes (about half the time or more for me) it'll just go black and play nothing
- sometimes save/quit gets you a game freeze and sometimes it'll appear to work but won't save anything (YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE A LEVEL TO ENSURE YOU DON'T LOSE PROGRESS!)
- "untracked build won't upload" error. This is the weirdest glitch I've seen all year. It just randomly appeared while going through Halo 4.
- due to all these (and other) glitches above, I've had to both soft and hard reset the game and console multiple times. is that good for the console?
- there are other general glitches you see like you see in other games (like clipping issues).
- other things I've forgotten (seriously, there are so many)

I can't believe there are people attempting LASO (Legendary All Skulls On), getting through it, and not being rewarded for it because of bugs. That is mega-lame.

It is really sad because if these bugs didn't exist, this would be a 5/5 for a lot of us...

Think Geek Minecraft Light-Up Diamond Ore
Think Geek Minecraft Light-Up Diamond Ore
Offered by OLD Will's Brick and Toy Land
Price: $20.16
31 used & new from $14.01

4.0 out of 5 stars cool but inconsistent and no way to leave on..., November 17, 2014
It's a really cool item but no way to leave on and you have to tap hard to get it to respond. Once it comes on, there is an auto-shut off (probably to save battery life) that happens after a few minutes...What if I don't care about batteries and want the thing to stay on - I mean, these are only LEDs right???

Also, tapping on the thing felt inconsistent. The exact amount of pressure to get the thing to turn on was hard to figure out. You certainly can't simply touch the thing and have it come on (which is what I and probably everyone else at Think Geek was expecting...)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2014 9:20 AM PST

WD My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB Personal Cloud Storage
WD My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB Personal Cloud Storage
Price: Click here to see our price
26 used & new from $109.99

2.0 out of 5 stars buggy and slow, October 26, 2014
USING FIRMWARE v04.00.01-623

I'd planned to use this as a media server, use it's DLNA to stream to an Xbox or other things. It's supposed to be accessible over the internet. It's the most unstable error-riddled device I've ever used...I tried suggestions of others (use a static IP address, turn off power saving things that make it not wake-upable) but these things didn't help any...browser access fails, desktop app fails, WD quickview app fails. there are too many failures to be believed. the software controlling the device is unbelievably janky. I've never seen a device with so many errors...Ever.

A sample of the errors that have occurred post install (which also had errors):

- HTTP Status 404 - TCP relay failed - Socket connection retries exceeded

- Unable to retrieve data. Make sure there are no network connectivity issues and try again. (200005)

- Unknown error. Retry your last operation. If the error persists, contact WD Support for assistance. (200000)

- browser error in connecting to the device: "Unable to connect" in Firefox or "This page can’t be displayed" in IE, etc...

There are 7 or 8 or maybe even more ways to access the device (which is frankly too many and that causes some confusion as each app or way to get into the device has a different UI and gives different info):

- a desktop app (gives a certificate error when it actually does work which is insane)

- MyCloud quickview (a quickload desktop app which will autostart when your computer starts if you want)

- WD SmartWare app (not even sure what this does)

- ip address of the device via browser (which requires user name/password and WILL NOT REMEMBER PASSWORD EVER)

- wd2go.com via browser. This gives a different UI/options than just using the IP address which I don't understand, WILL NOT WORK IN FIREFOX (despite the claim that it works with all browsers) and the "remember me" option in IE only remembers the user name, not the password so YOU WILL HAVE TO LOG IN WITH A BROWSER YOU MAY HATE and IT WILL NOT REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD THUS YOU ARE FORCED TO LOG IN EVERY SINGLE TIME. IE worked but gave a JAVA warning EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is how (I guess) you're supposed to get your files over the internet, at the office, on the go, etc. As others have indicated, it's horrendously slow. Even while at home, on the same network, on a fiber optic connection with all category 7 Ethernet cables, this was slow beyond belief. it took a full minute to stream a regular mp3 of a few thousand kb...I wouldn't count on streaming a movie this way...If you're on the bus, you'll already be home by the time the thing starts...Didn't try Chrome.

- you can set the drive up as a regular network drive if you're handy with Windows which is what I did. This seems like the best way to go about working with this drive at home (if you can get it stable) as an NAS, because it doesn't ask for credentials every single time the way everything else does and will automatically re-establish a connection to the share once you start your computer up (again assuming this thing is stable, up and working which is NOT guaranteed AT ALL). Playing the same mp3 file as above was instantaneous. So it might be usable as an NAS if you can get it up and stable...

- Of course phone apps exist. They even have a WP app, which is commendable. But who cares, the whole device is so buggy, why does it matter...

I've had to restart the thing at least 10 times and it requires maybe a half-hour more to fiddle with to get it up. I had planned to install this thing in my ceiling secured to it's K-slot and let it sit there forever, but there's no way in hell that could ever happen since I'll have to restart it again...I would skip this device until they figure it out. Even when it works, there are too many interfaces, too many logins, too many things that don't work, too much nonsense.

Note: I was able to get the XboxOne to recognize media on the drive via it's new update (which FINALLY includes DLNA). I haven't tested PS4 yet but I would assume it works too...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 3:29 PM PDT

Xbox 360 500GB Media Hard Drive
Xbox 360 500GB Media Hard Drive
Price: $74.49
64 used & new from $54.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid., October 26, 2014
works fine. people will still razz MS over the cost and that's a legitimate point, but these hard drives have never failed. They're solid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20