Profile for Phil Geusz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phil Geusz RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
PackIt Grey Freezable Lunch Bag
PackIt Grey Freezable Lunch Bag

3.0 out of 5 stars Near-Miss, August 4, 2011
It's nicely made, well laid out, and about the right size. However, it won't hold up to a 90-degree factory all morning-- by lunch my drinks are definitely not as chilled as one would like. I'm keeping it anyway, because I'd rather have a semi-warm drink than a non-folding cooler. Would sure be wonderful if the "ice packs" lasted better, however.

New Wave Enviro Stainless Steel Food Container
New Wave Enviro Stainless Steel Food Container
Price: $13.21
8 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Enough For Two Sandwiches, July 28, 2011
When I made my buying decision on this item, the thing I most wanted to know but couldn't find out from the reviews was whether or not this product would hold two thin (ie PBJ) sandwiches stacked on top of each other. It will, though there's little or no vertical room to spare. With two thin sandwiches in place, there's still enough space left off to one side for a few sweet pickles or maybe a small-sized dill. Not much, though. By a few, I mean a _few_.

As for the the rest...

The edges aren't dangerously sharp.

The latches aren't hard to figure out, nor do they appear flimsy. Only time will tell how they hold up.

No, it won't hold soup or other liquids. It's not _designed_ for that--- if it were, you'd see a rubber seal of some sort in the photos, as well as a much higher price tag. You don't get something for nothing in this world, though I'm continually amazed at how many people never give up trying.

After being so impressed with this item I'm considering buying another small steel container for my daily Fritos, so they don't get smashed in my backpack anymore.

Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Grey Hex
Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Grey Hex
Offered by BLINQ
Price: $86.99
33 used & new from $45.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, But Hardly Amazing, July 23, 2011
I've bought many bluetooth speakers over the past couple years trying to find something ideal for work, and I'm still looking. For my money the Monster Clarity speakers sound better, are definitely louder (very important to me) and (when I bought mine-- the price seems to fluctuate weekly or so) cost less than half as much as this product. The _only_ advantages the Jambox offers over them are that the battery lasts a good deal longer (though the Monster is no slouch in this regard) and the control buttons on the Monster are so large and poorly placed that they're easy to bump by accident, making the product unsuitable for use in a pocket. The only reason I haven't returned the Jambox is because quite by accident I learned that they offer a neck-chain as an accessory. This _may_ make the unit suitable for use at work, and I'm going to give one a try before giving up entirely.

I don't use my speakers as a telephone, so can offer no comparisons there.

As an aside, the volume difference is significant enough that I can use the Monster as a car stereo by placing it on the passenger seat. The Jambox doesn't generate quite enough volume to be heard clearly through normal everyday road noise in a Ford Focus with the windows up.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2011 11:31 PM PDT

Givi E55NA Maxia III Monokey Top Case 55 Ltr Matte Black
Givi E55NA Maxia III Monokey Top Case 55 Ltr Matte Black
Offered by Tour & Ride Inc
Price: $365.00
5 used & new from $328.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Big!, June 3, 2011
This is a huge topcase. I used to own a Givi e52 which I liked very much, and this box in most ways is as good or better. I'm having trouble with the unusual latch, however, and I wish they'd used a simpler, more familiar system. Otherwise, I would've given it five stars despite the price.

Monster ClarityHD Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by MEGA MALL
Price: $46.59
35 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Good, April 16, 2011
Nice little speaker! In my use the batteries lasted over seven hours at full volume-- a standard workday is eight hours, and I think that should be a manufacturer's goal. The speakers could stand to be louder for use in high background noise situations, but they're adequate in this regard.

I only have three niggles. One is that the LED's are _far_ too bright-- I sometimes even use them as a flashlight! I have no idea why they were made this way because their being so overpowered makes nightstand use difficult and after-dark use in a car nearly impossible-- you can't even put something in front of the speaker to shade these LED's without also muffling the sound. The second problem is that switching the product off/on requires the use of two separate switches-- this is annoying, confusing and unnecessary. Thirdly, the control switches are far too easy to hit by accident when carrying the speaker about-- I can't tell you how many podcasts I've interrupted and scrambled that way.

Overall, however, I'm happy!

iMainGo X Portable Speaker Case 3.5mm Aux with plug and share ports (Black)
iMainGo X Portable Speaker Case 3.5mm Aux with plug and share ports (Black)
Offered by Golden Exp
Price: $18.55
6 used & new from $14.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a while...., April 15, 2011
I was and still am a big fan of the iMaingo2, which I used to use almost daily at work. I got tired of buying batteries, however, and so switched to this product. It worked well for about three weeks, then I began having problems. Because of my high-noise work environment, the iMaingo has to operate at nearly full volume. This caused two difficulties. One is that the batteries wouldn't quite last through a full work shift, which was very annoying. (I'd get about 7 hours.) The second issue is far more serious, however. After two weeks of use the sound quality began to degrade to the point that it can no longer be used at high volume. The speakers sound "blown".

I also was unhappy with the power-switching system, which I found unnecessarily complex.

I own an iPad, and hear iMaingo is coming out with a product for that as well. I certainly hope it's more like the iMaingo2 than the iMaingoX.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2011 9:00 AM PDT

Griffin Technology PowerJolt Plus 2 amp Power Charger for iPad, iPhone and iPod (Black)
19 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, March 13, 2011
Nice long cord, plenty of power, feels like it's a quality product that'll last. What more is there to ask for in a power-supply?

Sony Ericsson Wireless Stereo Headphone - Black
Sony Ericsson Wireless Stereo Headphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, March 12, 2011
These earbuds sound about as good as I suspect bluetooth can, and are the only wireless earbuds I've found anywhere that I can honestly describe as comfortable and well-designed. This setup quite simply makes all other design efforts look bad. I don't mind the lack of controls-- I've always done everything through the phone anyway-- and my only real caveats are the annoying paper tag you're not supposed to remove and the short battery life. I recognize that the latter is probably unavoidable, but anything that could be done to improve battery life would be _most_ welcome. Also, it would be _very_ helpful if this device was USB-chargeable. I carry a large battery with a USB port on it to recharge my stuff, and have no access to an AC plug for most of the day. Active noise cancellation would be nice too, but is perhaps too much to wish for.

I like using these earbuds so much with my iPhone 3gs that I plan to buy a second pair to give me enough battery life to last through a work shift, so that in essence I'll be paying over $200 for something that a single pair of, say, Motorolas might theoretically do for about a quarter of that price. But these are _comfortable_ and _loud_ where nothing else is, and therefore well worth the extra expense and trouble of having to keep two pair on hand.

Squadron of Furies (The Ship Killers)
Squadron of Furies (The Ship Killers)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Blurb, February 8, 2011
Heaven only knows that the PT-boat squadrons in the Philippines during the early days of the war accomplished enough to justify the writing of not one but several full-length books. I for one would certainly like to read them. I also have nothing against shorter Kindle titles, so long as they're properly labeled as such. This work, however, is merely an incredibly short glossover of the subject, so short that I read the entire thing in twenty minutes or less thinking it was just a brief introduction to the _real_ book. "Squadron of Furies" contains so little in the way of actual facts, historical material and day-to-day operational details that I was shocked when it suddenly ended. It even got some important facts-- related to the ships assigned to the Asiatic Fleet-- downright _wrong_.

As a general rule, successful short historical works tend to narrow their focus rather that sacrifice depth-- a work I read a few years back on the Tiger and King Tiger tanks wasn't more than two or three times the length of this one, for example, but was well worth the reading because it dealt copiously with details generally left unexplored by others. This piece, however, is both narrow _and_ shallow, a poor combination indeed. While it's plenty cheap, which ought to excuse much,well... Mr. Author, you actually write fairly decent prose. This earned you a second star where ordinarily I'd only have awarded one. I've also seen far worse grammar and more typos in works published by the major houses. Therefore, I'm going to continue to believe in you and your innate desire to produce excellent work despite my disappointment this time around. Please, either try again with something twenty times as long, or go into _much_ greater depth on a narrow topic. Then, feel free to charge more for the results! This is what your readers are generally expecting of you. We'll happily compensate you for the effort.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2013 2:04 PM PDT

The Seminole Indians of Florida.
The Seminole Indians of Florida.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Old Anthropological Study, February 8, 2011
This was a very early anthropological study of the Seminole, so early that I suspect it was one of the first ever performed. It's very heavy reading, and was meant solely as a scientific document. I can't speak for its importance as a scientific resource for those seriously studying the Seminoles-- I'm in no way qualified to make such a judgment. My two-star rating is meant to reflect its interest to the general reader of non-fiction, which is very low indeed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7