Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Tricia > Reviews

Browse

Tricia's Profile

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tricia "Generation X-er" RSS Feed (SF Bay Area, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Garmin Forerunner 235 - Marsala
Garmin Forerunner 235 - Marsala
Offered by Active Trade
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $320.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased, July 18, 2016
I've been using Garmin Forerunners for 6-7 years, working my way from the 205 to the 305 to the 310XT. I was excited to get the 235, not so much for the no-chest-strap HRM, but simply for the form factor. I was giddy to contemplate finally having a Forerunner that didn't feel like a brick on my wrist. Was also excited at the prospect of having a device that didn't take as long as a minute and a half to pick up satellites at the start of a run.

I'm certainly pleased with the form factor--- compared with my 310XT, the 235 is wonderfully light and unobtrusive. And it does indeed pick up satellites very quickly. Beyond that.... I am not pleased. My biggest gripe (about which I'm surprised to have seen so little complaining in various online forums) is the "current pace" function. It's positively godawful in the 235--- appallingly inaccurate and slow to adjust! I had no reason to expect it would be this bad, based on my experience with earlier Forerunners, all of which seemed to have this function down cold.Why has Garmin gone BACKWARD in this capability?

As a dedicated runner who runs a lot of half-marathons with the occasional full marathon tossed in now and again, I require a pretty basic set of functions from my running GPS: Time, distance, current pace, average pace, and lap capabilities. That's all I ask--- but these functions need to work perfectly. To me, it feels as though Garmin has compromised the most critical functions of the Forerunner for the sake of cramming all kinds of ridiculous useless bells and whistles into the 235 (and other high-end models). They need to go back to basics and come up with a model targeting serious runners. Screw the bluetooth pairing, the step-counting, the calories-burned, the "your phone is ringing!" notifications, etc. etc. I need a running tool, not a PDA!

Current pace is absolutely critical for any serious runner attempting to hit a particular time goal in a race. You need to be able to set and hold a fairly steady pace in order to nail your desired finish time, and adjust that pace as circumstances dictate. I'm finding the 235 unreliable for this purpose. It displays a pace that I know to be inaccurate, and takes far too long to adjust. It's also pre-programmed only to display pace in 5-second increments, and seems to insist upon "hitting" each and every one of those increments in the course of adjusting the displayed pace. For instance, if I suddenly increase my pace from, say, 8:30 per mile to 8:00 per mile, it won't adjust the pace display directly from "8:30" to "8:00"... it will stodgily work its way from 8:30 to 8:25 to 8:20 to 8:15 to 8:10 to 8:05 before FINALLY, after 25 seconds of running, hitting 8:00. USELESS!

Aside from this, while mildly entertaining, the wrist-based HRM is also unreliable. I didn't have false expectations about the accuracy of this relatively new technology, and figured that really didn't matter, as long as it was ballpark-accurate. However, when the HRM just decides to stop working at all, as it did for a run this past weekend, how useful is that? It seemed completely arbitrary when the HRM subsequently decided to work again for the very next run. But if you cannot count on the thing, what's the point?

Another annoyance: It's apparently not possible to have a view of current data when pausing an activity; you're stuck with a display that asks if you want to "Resume" or "Save" the activity. If I'm stuck at a traffic light during a run, I'd like to be able to pause the device and then study the current data. Not an option here. Irritating!

Overall, the 235 has just made me grumpy. I am now seriously considering replacing it with a new-old stock 910XT, now that those have gotten cheaper. Sure, I'll be going backward in the clunkiness department, and I'll also completely lose the convenience of the wrist-based HRM, but neither of those things matters to me half as much as an accurate current pace feature.

Garmin, please come up with a model that dispenses with the silly tech-head bells and whistles and focuses on doing the basics perfectly for runners.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2016 12:38 PM PDT

Brooks PureGrit 4 Trail Running Shoe - Women's China Blue/Blueprint/Pink Glo, 11.0
Offered by 6pm, LLC
Price: $79.99
4 used & new from $73.04

4.0 out of 5 stars A little narrower than the PG3, but seems ok so far., June 30, 2016
The PG 4 appears to have gotten a tad narrower/tighter than its predecessor (the PG 3), so I was apprehensive when I took 'em out for their first run. However, my concerns were for naught--- they ran just fine on a 10-miler. Jury is still out, we'll see how they break in.

For context: I'm a 30-40 mile per week runner who does ~70% trail, ~30% road.

Hawaiian Sun Flare Maui Body Lotion Plumeria 8 oz. Bottle
Hawaiian Sun Flare Maui Body Lotion Plumeria 8 oz. Bottle
Offered by Buns of Maui
Price: $15.61
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 13, 2016
LOVE this lotion. I feel as though I'm back in Maui every time I use it... aaahhh!

Balega Enduro V-Tech Quarter Socks, Grey/Turquoise/Blue, Large
Balega Enduro V-Tech Quarter Socks, Grey/Turquoise/Blue, Large
Price: $11.93
9 used & new from $11.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow--- Love these! I'm a 30-mile per week runner, May 4, 2016
Wow--- Love these! I'm a 30-mile per week runner, and these feel like a mini foot-massage every time I pull 'em on and head out for a trot. Fabulous moisture-wicking properties. They just feel GOOD. I've been wearing Wright Socks (Doubl-Layr) for years, but these have convinced me to switch. No other sock I've tried has succeeded in doing that!

TYR SPORT Sonoma Active Mini Boy Shorts, Navy-401, X-Large
TYR SPORT Sonoma Active Mini Boy Shorts, Navy-401, X-Large

1.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs down., May 4, 2016
These are ridiculous. As a triathlete/swimmer who has used their products for years, I would expect better from Tyr. Then again, their products have been getting skimpier of late. The leg openings have virtually no elastic, so there's nothing to keep them "down". Lord help you if you bend over in these (unless you really WANT to offend the world by sharing so much). If the leg openings are going to be this loose, then the "legs" should be longer, or else there should be a built-in brief. These are effectively useless. They're basically an extremely short skirt with a bit of material draped across the crotch.

Squeezable Glass 2-pack Purist Clear Water Bottles, Includes 1 - 22 oz and 1 -26 oz

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE these bottles, January 26, 2016
LOVE these bottles. They are indeed taste-free, and they don't leak. They fulfill my two critical criteria right there. Another plus: you can freeze water in them and they won't deform. I like to freeze 8 ounces or so in my bottle that I carry for running, and top it off the rest of the way with water. Ensures I have cold water through the majority of my run. The frozen bottle fits readily into my running belt/pack (Ultimate Direction) since it doesn't "bulge" as I've experienced with other bottles. The frozen bottles also have no problem fitting into the bottle cages on my bike.

Only quibble is I'm not really jazzed about the design of the valve. It's not terrible, but I do like the traditional old-style valves on original Specialized bottles better.

These are ridiculously expensive, but I feel it's worth it to get a product that really works well.

WATCH TCM
WATCH TCM
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Love to be able to stream TCM films, but..., January 25, 2016
This review is from: WATCH TCM (App)
The app is slow, and often hangs, despite a good wireless and internet connection. In play mode for films, you can't hide the progress bar. There's no easy way to fast forward or rewind by controlled amounts.

I'm delighted to have this app to be able to view TCM films on my kindle, but the app is just a bit clunky. Needs work. Once a movie gets playing, it seems to do ok, but the general interface could use a bit of cleaning up.

Cut Adrift: Families in Insecure Times
Cut Adrift: Families in Insecure Times
Price: $16.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, but broader perspective lacking, October 7, 2015
I had mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, as a Silicon Valley native, so much of this rang true. I recognize all of the stories told by the study participants, and absolutely recognize the economic and class insecurities they describe. It's been pretty shocking to watch the abject economic stratification that has taken place here over the past 3-4 decades. The standard of living for a lot of middle class folks has either fallen off a cliff or is being propped up by levels of debt that are frantically hidden behind fragile facades.

All that being said.... I couldn't help but feel irked by the author's indirect implication that somehow the problem is entirely the fault of "government" or "the system". I got an uncomfortable sense of implied entitlement from some of the stories. Yes, much of the situation is beyond any individual's control, but at the same time, many of those who are in sketchy economic shape did a lot to get themselves there through their own poor choices.

I felt that the author lacked a broader sense of the human economic condition over the course of history. The period of prosperity in the US following WWII was just that--- a PERIOD of prosperity. However, the generations just now emerging from the end of that period haven't quite come to grips with the fact that that period is ending. History marches on, and Americans cannot expect to have the same degree of financial security that their parents or grandparents (after the Depression ended) enjoyed. Certainly we would like to, and there was always the myth of having one's children enjoy a higher standard of living than one's own, but the fact is that economic history evolves. Time moves on, the world changes, and economies and nations react to events beyond any one government's control. The prosperity of the last half of the 20th century lulled Americans into a false sense of economic complacency--- "Wouldn't things ALWAYS be this good?"

Of course, at the opposite end of the spectrum you have the wealthy folks who also participated in the author's study, who obviously have done quite well and yet STILL feel insecurity on behalf of their children. There's a lot to be said for the fear instilled by the "flattening" of the globe. These folks aren't wrong to be concerned--- the playing field has become a lot more crowded as globalization has robbed the US of its economic hegemony. Competition for the best jobs (and the best standard of living) has become fierce at the top. And the people at the top have no doubt seen how many of their own peers have so easily slipped down the socioeconomic ladder.

The picture that Cooper paints is indeed troubling, and the issues are very real. The times are indeed insecure.... but was there ever REALLY any true security? Just how much economic security do any of us have a right to expect? The programs instituted by Roosevelt's New Deal in the 1930's did indeed begin knitting a financial safety net for the American people that had an enormous impact on the national economic psyche.... but remember, if WWII had not come along, we have no idea how well those programs would ultimately have fared. It was the War that sent America on an economic rocket ship that only began sputtering 50 years later. New times present new challenges. And the events and measures that improved economic security for Americans in the last century are behind us.

So this is an interesting read, but it does feel as though the perspective is a bit narrow.

SockGuy Women's 2in Lady Pirate Cycling/Running Socks (Lady Pirate - S/M)
SockGuy Women's 2in Lady Pirate Cycling/Running Socks (Lady Pirate - S/M)
Offered by The Jogger's Corner
Price: $11.20
7 used & new from $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit and Quality top notch for running/riding; Fun designs!, September 8, 2015
Love SockGuy socks! I don't know why, but all their cutest socks right now seem to have a pirate theme, arrrh! As a high-mileage cyclist and runner, I appreciate the quality and fit of these socks. I'm actually surprised that the "S/M" fits me, because another style fits me just as well in "L/XL". Go figure! I wear a women's size 10 in most shoes, although I go with an 11 in running shoes. This equates roughly to a men's 9. Fit is great!

SockGuy Skull Pop 2in Socks - Women's One Color, One Size
SockGuy Skull Pop 2in Socks - Women's One Color, One Size
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $10.95
6 used & new from $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional (extremely) *and* adorable, July 24, 2015
I was worried that a S/M size, which was the only one available, would be too small. But I SO love the design of this sock that I took a chance. No problem for my size 10 (woman) clodhoppers! SockGuy socks are absolutely the best, I have many pairs (just wasn't sure what my size actually was). This particular pair is now my favorite by far. Who can resist a skull & crossbones with a pink bow on the skull? And in hot pink and neon green/yellow? I ask you! Love, love, love!

Oh, and to clarify, I'm a triathlete, so I can say these are functional as well as adorable. You won't find a better bike/run sock anywhere (although DeFeets are equally good--- they just don't have this fabulous design). (I get so tired of useless reviews of athletic apparel by non-athletes who just assess how "cute" the stuff is--- arrgh!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4