Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Ryan S. > Reviews

Browse

Ryan S.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ryan S. "Coffee Addict" RSS Feed (NW Indiana, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Leatherman - Wave® Multi-Tool, Black with Molle Sheath
Leatherman - Wave® Multi-Tool, Black with Molle Sheath
Offered by Deal Champion
Price: $97.39
23 used & new from $91.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect to add to your EDC!, February 4, 2016
Hi everybody!

The Leatherman Wave has been my EDC for about a year now. I gotta tell ya, this thing is like having a whole toolbox in your pocket! Everything on it works as it should, in fact, the Wave has just about everything you need, and nothing you don't, with very few exceptions. Please read on!

What do I like about it?
It's smaller than a Gerber with twice as many tools. Although it is significantly heavier than a Gerber, I feel for what you get it's well worth the compromise. With the extra pocket clip (sold separately of course) it fits nicely inside a pocket just like a knife, which I like way better than using the sheath on my belt. That was one of the main reasons I bought this one was due to its size and ability to wear inside a pocket. The less on my belt the better. Some people may gripe about the weight, but again, you're getting a toolbox packed into something only a little larger than a medium size pocket knife.

The sheath works, but I prefer not to use it. Just my personal preference. I did use the sheath for something else that you should check out. The Leatherman RAPTOR shears! Those fit perfect in the sheath for the Wave, and for Firefighters and Medics, it mounts vertically on a radio strap perfectly! Personally, I think the Raptors should come with the Wave sheath instead of that dumb plastic holster thing. If you must carry the Wave in it's sheath, it's more than sufficient and of good heavy construction. The sheath also has a couple slots inside for those plastic bit carriers that come with the bit kit (sold seperately), and mounts horizontally or vertically. Horizontal mount won't work with a 2" belt though.

The tools themselves have proved to be very useful and durable for everyday tasks. By everyday tasks, I mean exactly that... not abusive tasks. If you feel the need to really thump on this thing until it breaks, I suppose that's your choice, but there are other hand tools for those things. The blades out of the box are hair shaving sharp. I have tested out everything on this tool, up to and including sawing tree branches with it, and it works well! I ESPECIALLY LIKE the functionality of the bit driver. The Wave can be straightened long ways and used more like a normal screwdriver, as well as L-shaped if you want more leverage on a tough screw. Unlike Gerber tools which is like having a tiny driver bit attached to a brick... Just awkward. That feature alone makes the Wave more functional, opening it to a much wider number of tasks the Wave can perform where the Gerber just won't fit.

How about gripes?
#1 I would first like to address the #1 gripe I see from other reviewers: The black coating.

Trust me people... the black oxide coating is nothing to be afraid of. You just have to know how to wear it in properly. Yes, it comes off when it's brand new. This is easily solved by fanning out the tool and wiping it all down with some paper towels, and perhaps getting into all the other smaller places with a q-tip or something. After playing with it and wiping it down a few more times, the coating stopped coming off after a few days. It's just a matter of time and if you're patient with it, it's really no big deal. Just be cognizant of what you're wearing. If you take it straight out of the box and you put in in the pocket of your best khakis, it's gonna be messy. My recommendation is that you treat it like a brand new firearm. Clean it... play with it... clean it.. play with it.. get used to it.. clean it.. then carry it every day. Do that, and you're golden. If this is an issue for you, then get the stainless one. My personal opinion is that the black one is much cooler. Again, don't let the black oxide coating be a deal breaker. Some people review it as if Leatherman shipped the tool coated in wet black paint, and that is simply not the case. It is the average joe's inexperience with this type of coating. Learn about it and don't be afraid.

#2 Scratches on the coating.
I have one thing to say about this. ITS A TOOL. When it gets used, it gets scratched. Deal with it. The only way to avoid this is to keep it under glass like David Duchovny's hand in Zoolander. If that's what you want, please... just stop buying tools, and turn in your man card. I suppose if you're a woman who wants this multitool, that's great! You have earned a man card. Take it from the sissy complaining about scratches.

Some of my personal concerns: When brand new, the tool is extremely tight. This can be solved by fondling it repeatedly while sitting on the couch watching your favorite TV shows for a couple hours. After a while, it breaks in like a new pair of underwear and feels smooth like butter! No big deal there... Just thought I'd make a note of it.

My gripes?
My gripes are not big ones, but a gripes worth mentioning nonetheless: I wish it came standard with the pocket clip. It's only a couple bucks worth of metal. I wish Leatherman would just add that into the package. It's a hassle to have to order it separate, and have it come with a lanyard loop which I have no use for. That's just me.
My other gripe is with the sheath that comes with the Wave. It would be nice to make the sheath more horizontal-carry-friendly for lack of a better term. This can be accomplished by making it work with 2" belts, which I'm sure are what most people that carry stuff like this EDC will wear. Again it's just me, and I like the pocket clip better.

The last gripe I have is that I wish it came with one of those little security torx allen wrenches so I could take it apart and clean it, or at least tighten/loosen the pivot points. Granted, taking things apart and getting them back together right without ending up with "spare parts' is not for everybody, but it's just a thought. I'm pretty sure adding one of those little tools to the package would add about 50 cents to the price, and instructions on disassembly could be added to the instruction manual with a disclaimer that if the customer can't get it back together right, it's their own fault. Just a thought.

So to Leatherman, Bottom line things to consider is #1 include a pocket clip, #2 make the horizontal sheath loops wider to accept a 2" belt, and #3 include a disassembly tool with instructions.

Overall, I feel like this tool is a smash-hit that everyone should have. I've carried other tools such as a couple other Gerber models, and this one by far is the most user friendly and has the widest range of functionality. Some may argue price point, but remember, in this small package you're getting tools that are ALL USEFUL EVERY DAY, and not a bunch of nonsense with only 3 useful things on it. After a year of carrying the Wave EDC, anyone who asks what tool they should buy, I direct them toward the Leatherman Wave without hesitation! BUY IT! You will not be disappointed!

Saunders Recycled Aluminum Cruiser-Mate Storage Clipboard with Dual Tray Storage, Black, Letter Size, 8.5 x 12-Inches, One Clipboard (21117)
79 used & new from $24.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy clipboard can take a beating!, February 2, 2016
I work in a steel mill, where this clipboard has been taking a daily beating for 6 years. It has it's fair share of war wounds, but it's still going strong! My experiences with other clipboards, even the more expensive ones, have been that the clip part breaks and doesn't hold paper anymore, or the opening lid loosens up and opens freely all the time. With this clipboard, I have had none of that! Like I mentioned, aside from some dings and dents, this clipboard is SOLID. If it can survive in my work environment, it can survive anywhere and that's a fact Jack!

I was actually surprised by it. The aluminum seems thin and I didn't think it would last long, but it proved me wrong! The only negative I found was that the edges and corners can be quite sharp. I would recommend to the manufacturer that they file those down a little just to take the edge off. So beware of that.

This one is a very sturdy clipboard. If I did manage to destroy it, I'd buy it again! Try it out, and if you don't like it, its not like you're out a hundred bucks. Definitely stay away from those $8.00 plastic ones. They suck.

Trump: The Art of the Deal
Trump: The Art of the Deal
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight into the the man beyond what media shows us, February 2, 2016
Hi All! I picked up The Art of the Deal just to see what it was all about. This past year, the media can't go 30 seconds without saying "Trump" and it's a book I hear mentioned on TV daily, so I figured I'd give it a look. What do I have to lose by reading, right? I gotta tell ya, I found it interesting enough that I couldn't put it down. Did I love it? eh.. not really, but it's not that kind of book. My normal genre of books are in the area of true war stories, WWII, Holocaust... You know, real stories where people's lives were on the line. I also like some political books, especially secret service books where retired agents tell what our politicians' lives are like when the cameras aren't rolling. Those are the books that really keep me interested.

The Art of the Deal, for me, was one of those books that kept me interested throughout. For those that don't know, this is not a "how to" book at all. It is a look into Donald Trump's life up to about 1987. I was born in '76. As a kid in the 80's, I remember quite a bit about Trump during the time of this book, which made me realize something: Children who were born when The Apprentice began in 2004, are only 12 years old today, which means new 2016 voters were only 6 years old then. They likely do not know anything more about Trump than he was the "You're Fired" guy on The Apprentice, or what the media decides we should see or think about him. The main question I wanted answered by reading The Art of the Deal: What is the man really like?

I was not disappointed, in fact, I think this book gives more insight into why Trump is the way he is... How his mind works... what he might be thinking. Keep in mind, the book is quite dated, but I did find it still very much relevant. I enjoyed learning about Trump's upbringing and how he got started. I enjoyed seeing all the "behind the scenes" work that went into his building deals, much of which would no doubt make a lesser person give up and try a different profession, especially when you inject big city politics and bureaucratic BS into the mix. There really isn't much political stuff in this book, other than his experience with NYC political figures at the time. If you are looking for his past political views, there are numerous old interviews on YouTube of Trump in the 80's and 90's that should shed some light. All I can say is just with all political stuff, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and don't let the media tell you what to think. 'Nuff said on that.

Today, the media likes to make a big deal about Trump's little sound bytes, bankruptcies, etc., and basically paint him to look like a complete fool. Well, I don't know about you, but turning a "small loan of a million dollars" from his father into a $10bn dollar global corporation? You don't get to that level by being a foolish idiot. There are a TON other people in the world who are hundreds of times richer who got to where they are by doing a lot less (ahem.. wall street speculators... cough cough.. hedge fund managers).

So what did I take away from the book? Trump is above all is a devout family man who despite being a workaholic, still managed to be an involved father who raised his kids right by instilling work ethic and high personal values... unlike the Kardiashian twits who have never had to work a day in their lives. He is a man who understands how the world really works and uses that understanding to his advantage. Whats most clear to me now having read this book is that Trump built his company the old fashioned way through relentless perseverance, hard work, and ability to see the bigger picture.

I'm the kind of guy who gives credit where credit is due, and the bottom line I took away from the book is that Trump is NOT the guy the media portrays. He is a no BS guy who deserves respect. I highly recommend reading this!

Leatherman 934855 Quick Release Black Multi-Tool Pocket Clip with Lanyard Ring for Leatherman Charge AL, Charge ALX, Charge Ti, Charge TTi, Charge XTi, Original Surge, Surge, and Wave Multi-Tools
Offered by Photo4Less
Price: $9.69
2 used & new from $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for pocket EDC of the Leatherman Wave!, January 13, 2016
This is a must have for those who want to carry your Leatherman Wave inside your pocket like a regular knife. I have found that I'd rather have it in my pocket than something extra on my belt. It just works better for me that way. Some may complain that it's too heavy for a pocket, but unless you're wearing gym shorts, it's fine and you get used to it. It's especially balanced if you have a decent size knife in the opposite pocket. I have not had any pants sag because of this.

I wish Leatherman would include this pocket clip with the Wave. It seems like it would only be a couple bucks at the most to just add it to the standard package. Just my opinion.

Floureon 38-piece Precision Screwdriver Set Repair Tool Kit for iPad, iPhone, PC, Watch, Samsung and Other Smartphone Tablet Computer Electronic Devices
Offered by SEVESTO
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tool pack at a great price!, January 13, 2016
This tool pack is the cat's bee-hind! It's got just about every microdriver head you could need. I say "just about" because the only thing I wish it had was a few of those open center torx bits, often referred to as security torx. Those would come in handy with applications such as dissasembly of pocket knives or multitools.

All in all, it has more than the usual stuff for fixing glasses, and other odds and ends around the house, plus everything you might need to fix your own cellphone or tablet.

Generic Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Replacement for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 WiFi - Black
Offered by Iparts Outlet
Price: $11.30
21 used & new from $8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement package with everything you need!, January 13, 2016
This product is an exact replacement for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (3100 series). I followed a video on YouTube to replace the screen. This was the first time I did this and it was a breeze. I am most pleased that the screen was 1. an exact replacement, complete with "Samsung" logo., 2. It came with adhesive pre-applied with peel-off backing. and 3. It came with all the tools I needed to get the job done. The Samsung logo was a big deal to me because I did not want something that looked like a cheap knockoff. Shipping was super fast, and packaging was very well protected. If I broke another one, I'd buy from this seller again and again.

A tip for those who replace their screen: Make sure you scrape or use light solvent to get all the old glue off the inside of your tablet. If it's left there, it causes the screen to be raised ever so slightly, thus exposing the edge of the glass above the edge of the tablet. This was not an issue for me because I put it in a case, but others' mileage may vary. Just be aware!

Rapid Dual Car Charger with Micro USB - For Samsung Galaxy S7 S6 S5 S3 S4 Note2 Note3 - Motorola Droid Turbo, Razr Maxx, Moto X, LG G2, HTC ONE, DNA (Car Charger)
Offered by The Price Is Rite
Price: $6.95
28 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick it to Verizon, BUY THIS ONE! It's the same thing., October 23, 2015
Greetings! For those in need of a new charger for cheap, GET THIS ONE. This is the same exact one that Verizon wants a laughable $30.00+ for! This one simply does not have the Verizon logo printed on it. I've been using it every day for about 6 months, and it has performed well with no issues.

Cyber Acoustics Booming Speaker System with  Subwoofer containing  6.5-inch Power Pro Series Driver (CA-3908)
Cyber Acoustics Booming Speaker System with Subwoofer containing 6.5-inch Power Pro Series Driver (CA-3908)
Price: $75.41
52 used & new from $34.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speakers for the average user!, October 23, 2015
Hi all! I gotta tell ya, I am quite impressed with these speakers. Clarity is good with no humming or buzzing. The remote wheel is fairly decent, but it is rather light. Unless I keep it on my mouse pad, it will slide all over the place. No big deal there. The subwoofer is awesome. For a package so small, it puts out a large amount of clear deep bass that is more than sufficient for my office. The speakers overall are clear and powerful enough to be heard throughout my entire house. The subwoofer is awesome for as small as it is. Now, it's no where near a theater sub, but for a relatively cheap set of computer speakers, I'd venture to say it gives Bose and Klipsch a run for their money. Why pay more? These get the job done, and unless you're one of those snobby audiophiles I'm sure you will enjoy these.

I just switched from a 15+ year old CyberAcoustics 5.1 system which I'm sad to say the only failure was in the cords. The small sub that comes with this system completely blows away my old 8" CA sub that I just junked, and is less than half the dimensional size. I have been running these for about 6 months or so, and I have no complaints thus far. They have performed above my expectations!

I do have a "wish list" for CyberAcoustics though: As I mentioned above, The cords failed on my old CA speakers. These are made the same with a wire from each speaker. I wish they would put some connectors on the speakers so I could just replace the cords if need be, rather than trash the whole system when it gets old. With the remote wheel, I wish it had more weight to it, and I would also like a mute button in the center. That would be quite convenient. Other than those two things, This is a wonderful system that performs beautifully for a very decent price. I would definitely buy these again and I highly recommend them!

Streamlight 66318 MicroStream C4 LED Pen Flashlight
Streamlight 66318 MicroStream C4 LED Pen Flashlight
Price: $17.95
230 used & new from $11.69

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT light for small pocket EDC!, March 30, 2015
This little light is PERFECT for every day carry. I'm a medic, so I use these a lot on the job and also around the house. It's enough to find your way around a dark room, but not quite bright enough to light up the entire room. It's not designed for that anyway so who cares?

For my fellow medics out there, this is way better than a 99 cent white plastic penlight. This does real good checking pupils and such. It's cheap enough to get a couple of them and keep one with your duty gear, and another one for home use.

Size-wise it's about 1 and a 1/2 the size of an AA battery. It's perfect for holding with your mouth if you need both hands. It also has a two-way clip so you can clip it to the bill of a ball cap facing forward. You don't even have to clip it to your pocket. It's short enough to lay flat in the bottom of a normal pants pocket. It's very lightweight and unobtrusive. Once it's in your pocket, you don't even notice it.

Battery life is stellar! Not only do I use it for about a collective hour every day, but I have let it burn for hours on end while wrenching on my car and the first battery lasted well over a month. I have had this going on 4 months, and I'm only on my second battery.

Durability is also stellar! I've dropped it I don't know how many times, its been fully submerged in water, caked with motor oil, power steering fluid, and dust. I wouldn't go running it over with my car or anything, but for what it is, it can take a beating.

I would buy this light again and again. In fact, I didn't realize just how much I would use this light every day until I started carrying it everyday. Now, I feel lost without it! If you can get it for $18 bucks or less, do it. You won't regret it.

UTG New Gen High-pro Shooters Bipod, Rubber Feet, 8.7"-10.6"
UTG New Gen High-pro Shooters Bipod, Rubber Feet, 8.7"-10.6"
Price: $23.08
27 used & new from $18.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little bipod! Would buy again!, December 8, 2014
I bought this bipod based on a review by Nutnfancy on YouTube. So far, it seems pretty well constructed with decent material! I have played with it and stressed it quite a bit and it seems to be solid. Do I think it would survive a war? Probably not. Will it stand up to hunting and range use? Absolutely. I would venture to say it would probably stand up to a fair amount of abuse and dirt.

I like most that it doesn't take up a ton of real estate on a pic rail, easy on/off, light as a feather, and it stores nicely in a range bag.

I would suggest watching Nutnfancy's review of this bipod. He put it through WAY more hell than I plan to. I'd be willing to bet, for the average joe like myself, this would suit most everyday needs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_oLNJuXA6s

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5