Profile for Gearhead Mania > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 314

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gearhead Mania RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Price: $66.18
7 used & new from $65.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge improvement over older models, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The new PT-D400 is a huge improvement over my older PT-1880 for a number of reasons. The PT-D400 comes with an AC adapter or can accept 6x AA batteries (alkaline OR NiMH rechargeables). My old PT-1880 could run on NiMH, but it would always look very dim and wouldn't work right on the lower voltage of the NiMH batteries. The PT-D400 accepts either type of battery and runs like a champ. In addition, the LCD Contrast on the D400 is adjustable, and the user interface looks a bit more modern than the 1880's single line interface. The D400 is also physically smaller than the 1880, but accepts the same TZE cartridges. It actually comes with a full TZE241 cartridge.

The D400 adds custom frames, a large selection of fonts, symbols, and even allows barcodes. The menu interface is easy to navigate and reminds me of the improvements made in the TI-89/TI-92 over the older TI-86 graphing calculators. But the biggest change is that you can type up to 5 lines of text on a single label! The old PT-1880 only allowed up to 2 lines of text. I tried the TZE241 and TZE231 cartridges and the D400 allows up to 5 lines of text on either cartridge.

Overall: 5/5 stars, significant improvements over the older models. Accepts NiMH batteries, allows up to 5 lines of text per label, adjustable LCD contrast, more graphical user interface, and lots of different frame designs and fonts.

Oakley Men's Chainlink Rectangular Eyeglasses,Matte Black,57 mm
Oakley Men's Chainlink Rectangular Eyeglasses,Matte Black,57 mm
Offered by C.S. Sunglasses
Price: $125.95
25 used & new from $125.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Frames are too small and block a LOT of peripheral vision, October 18, 2014
I purchased the Asian fit Chainlink sunglasses straight from Oakley. I was expecting the matte black finish to be high quality, instead it seemed like a cheap coating instead of the unpainted plastic found on the Standard Issue line of Oakley frames. The Chainlink's matte finish shows oil stains VERY easily. The weight is 27 grams, which isn't heavy but it isn't light. My M Frames (original 1.0) and Flak Jacket XLJ are only 25 grams and are about the perfect weight. I found the Chainlinks to feel heavy on my nose and the nose pads pinch into my nasal cavities creating some fatigue within a few minutes. The earstems have the Unobtanium material and it goes all the way to the frames which makes no sense, but the earstems are placed in a way that actually interferes with opening/closing the ear stems.

The Asian Fit frame fits my face, but the actual frame surrounding the lenses gets in the way BIG TIME. I used to think my Scalpels were like blinders for a horse until I tried the Chainlink. The sides of the frames pretty much block my view of the sideview mirrors on my car. It always made me feel nervous about passing a car because of the lack of peripheral vision. The frame on the bottom blocks a lot of the view as well due to the small lens size. Because the Chainlink is relatively flat, there is a lot of open space between the face and the edges of the lenses. When I walked around a windy beach with my Flak Jacket XLJ's (which pretty much hug my face even at the corners of the eyes) I still got some sand in my eyes. With the Chainlink, there is absolutely no protection on the sides - so sand/grit would easily fly in, and a lot of sun will be leaking through the sides.

Bottom line, the Chainlink is more of a fashion set of frames more than anything. They are useless for any type of outdoor activities that require good peripheral vision or side protection. The matte finish feels cheap and shows off grease/oil stains very easily, and the earstems are hard to open because the Unobtanium/silicone sock material gets in the way.

Overall: 3/5 stars, I'm going to stick with my 6 year old Flak Jackets as they are lighter, more comfortable, offer more protection, and do not interfere with my peripheral vision.

FlexEx Hand Exerciser, Made In USA
FlexEx Hand Exerciser, Made In USA
Offered by WOSS Enterprises
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit cumbersome to use, durability is questionable, October 18, 2014
FlexEx Hand Exerciser

These silicone/polymer "bands" essentially exercise the hand muscles the opposite way of using a gripmaster. The blue is the strongest/most resistant and I found that I had to use that to even give my hands any type of workout. I normally use the Extra Heavy Tension prohands by Gripmaster just as a comparison. The FlexEx bands are easy to use, but they don't seem to be very durable. I can see the red and yellow bands snapping fairly easily with repeated use, and the blue is probably the strongest of them. The bands are a bit cumbersome to use as I need to slip each ring over a finger.

Overall: 4/5 stars, fairly expensive for what amounts to be a silicone/polymer band. One of those thick rubber bands used on broccoli or lobster claws might achieve the same type of exercise and resistance.

Depend Bed Protectors, 24 Count
Depend Bed Protectors, 24 Count
Price: $38.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't even notice them!, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The bed protectors fold out into what seems like a really small sheet, but it sized about right for catching accidents on an adult. The material seems almost like a fabric, and it has enough cushioning that it actually makes my bed feel a bit more comfortable to sleep! The protector makes no rustling noise when tossing or turning on the bed, and it doesn't make the bed feel any hotter/colder than before. I honestly can't tell that there is something under the sheet.

Overall: 5/5 stars! Can't tell they are under the sheet, no rustling noises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the HappyLight!, October 18, 2014
Philips Golite Blue Energy Rechargeable Light

I've used VersaLight's HappyLights in the past with decent results, but I never liked how they utilized power hungry non-standard CFL bulbs (power hungry compared to LEDs). The CFLs also took a bit longer to get to maximum light output, with quite a bit of heat produced by the lights. The Philips Golite seems to resolve this issue with the use of blue LEDs in a large panel. The light output is intense even in low to mid-level settings! I also love the fact the rechargeable battery pack allows you to take the light wherever you go, but also has the capability of being hooked up to an AC adapter for long-term use.

Just after a day or so of using the Golite, I have experienced a change in my energy levels at work. I'm a morning person, and according to the instructions I am supposed to use the light towards noon or afternoon when I feel tired. I found that I could use it for short periods of time in the morning or afternoon and provide me with enough energy to get through the day. The theory is that the blue light simulates daylight with no harmful UV radiation. The HappyLights used a white CFL bulb to produce light, and I always thought that the 5000K-6000K color temperature was more representative of daylight. The blue light seems blue when you look at it straight on, but from the corner of my eye, it isn't much different from sunlight.

There's a neat LED-bar meter that shows how long the light has been turned on. The brightness controls are touch-sensitive controls which makes it easy to use. The instructions are actually quite helpful with recommended usage guidelines depending on the type of person (morning, afternoon, etc).

Overall: 5/5 stars, very easy to use, modern LED lighting panel instead of a CFL bulb, I've noticed a change within a few days of using it. The Golite is much better than the HappyLight.

Nike Air Sport Stand Golf Bag, Grey/Black/Green
Nike Air Sport Stand Golf Bag, Grey/Black/Green
Price: Click here to see our price
20 used & new from $82.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, lots of storage room, fairly comfortable to carry, could stand to lose a few pounds, October 12, 2014
This review is from: Nike Air Sport Stand Bag (Sports)
Nike Air Sport Stand Bag

I purchased the Gray/Black/Venom Green bag because this color looks very aggressive, and seems to fit the new line of Nike Vapor clubs with the same type of neon green. However, the photograph on the store (and on other sites) shows a dark charcoal color, whereas the actual bag is an extremely light gray color.

In terms of weight, the Air Sport Stand weighs 5.00 pounds empty without the rain cover. As a comparison, my Acuity cart bag (the one that comes from Dick’s Sporting Goods with an Acuity beginners set from 2008) is only 2.8 pounds empty. But the Air Sport Stand has legs that work extremely well, and the bag even stays upright in the vertical position as long as the clubs are in the bag.

There’s an insulated cooler bag that holds exactly one bottle, either a plastic water bottle or some other smaller container. This is a nice touch but it could have been slightly bigger. There’s a fleece-lined waterproof “valuables” pouch that comes in handy for smartphones or watches. It managed to fit my Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone with an UAG case. It seemed like it could even hold a Galaxy Note. The Velcro patch is also a nice addition for quickly stashing your glove, although I found myself using the mesh pouch at the bottom for holding my gloves. There’s a pen holder that is a bit too shallow, and there are 2 tee holders for quick and easy access. There are plenty of pockets, but I found most of them are just too big. I prefer to have more smaller pockets to hold smaller items, versus less pockets that are gigantic and small objects can be lost inside them. However, the garment pocket is just awesome. I was able to stash my windbreaker and winter cap inside without even causing the bag to bulge.

The website description says that there’s an integrated GPS loop, but I am unsure if it meant the 3 loops by the tee holders, or if it was the fluorescent shoestring by the stand legs. Either way, I have no idea what to do with these. I have a Bushnell rangefinder, and often clip it to the plastic D-Ring on the side of the bag. I find that my clipped accessories often get tangled with the stand legs and/or cart straps because they are just located in a bad spot. With my Acuity bag, the bag strap attaches to a metal ring on the front of the bag, and I would clip everything to that metal ring (versus the plastic ring on the side). The plastic ring puts these clipped accessories too close to the stand legs.

I have a Clicgear 3.5+ push cart, and the Nike Air Sport fits on that cart without any problems. However, the stand legs kind of jut against the topmost strapping system on the Clicgear – but it fits into these 2 divots on the Clicgear like it was designed for it. I never had a problem with the Nike bag twisting or falling out of the Clicgear. But the Nike Air Sport does have a tendency to lie on its side in my trunk for some reason.

Some of my complaints include the lack of a chest/waist strap like the ones they include on larger laptop bags for better load bearing. While the Nike Air shoulder straps are comfortable, the weight of the bag and gear makes it slightly less comfortable on a longer hike. A chest/waist support strap would have been better. The bag is still a bit heavy in my opinion. Manuevering the bag in and out of a trunk is also harder due to the lack of a top-mounted handle that is found on most other stand bags. The lack of an external ball holder also slows down play a bit, as I often had to dig into the drawstring pouch to grab a ball if I walked with just the bag. When I use my Clicgear, I have a 3-ball external clip as well as the 3-ball holder inside the Clicgear’s compartment.

Finally, there’s an 8-way divider with 3 full-length partitions. It works adequately, but I found that my clubs would get tangled very easily on the course mainly with the middle-row. I use the large singular section near the front of the bag for my putter, while the opposite single section takes all of my wedges.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price for such a versatile carry/stand bag. There’s a lot of room for improvement, but after having used that Acuity starter bag for 6 years, the Nike Air Sport is a big improvement albeit slightly heavier.

Wagner ThermoQuiet QC748 Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Front
Wagner ThermoQuiet QC748 Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Front
Price: $36.27
12 used & new from $36.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, comes with all of the clips for the calipers and anchor plates, October 12, 2014
I've gone through at least 4 sets of brake pads on my 2000 Ford Crown Vic, mostly due to wear and corrosion issues and mainly on the front pads/rotors. Factory, AC Delco Durastop Performance, AC Delco Police/Severe Duty, Hawk HPS, and Akebono ACT - all of them either wore down fairly quickly or started to corrode from the backing plate. Hopefully these Wagners last longer.

The QC748s come with all of the clips you will ever need. There are 2 clips for the calipers, and 4 clips for the anchor plates. The pads do not come with an anti-squeal shim because it seems the backing plates are specially designed to do the same job. In addition, the ceramic friction material seems to be very quiet. I heard nothing from them even though I only used a minor amount of grease on the plates/clips.

The pads came out of the box shrink-wrapped with the friction material touching each other - so this prevents damaged to the pads during shipment. As a result, there is some brake dust when the pads come out of the shrink wrap. It is a light colored (gray/tan) dust.

The initial braking performance indicates these offer the same level of braking as OEM replacement pads. I didn't notice anything odd when they were cold, and they worked well even when fully warmed up. Only time will tell on their durability against aggressive braking and corrosion.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price, comes with all of the hardware, seems to be a solid design and doesn't rely on anti-squeal shims. Depending on how they fare on the Crown Vic, I may consider the Wagner QC line of pads for my other vehicles.

Power Stop (AR8155XPR) Drilled and Slotted Rotor
Power Stop (AR8155XPR) Drilled and Slotted Rotor
Price: $167.47
6 used & new from $167.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of replacement rotors, no real difference in pedal feedback compared to stock, October 12, 2014
My AR8155XPR package came with a pair of rotors that are marked for each wheel. These are designed for the 1998-2002 Ford Panther platform (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car). They changed brake designs for 03-10 Panthers, so these won't fit those vehicles.

I was skeptical about drilled rotors, and knew slotted rotors did work to an extent on street cars. However, the current price of the AR8155XPR rotors was ridiculously low compared to OE-style replacements that I had to give these a try. The fit and finish is comparable to the OEM Motorcraft rotors, and they certainly weight a heck of a lot. They are made in China, but the last 3 sets of rotors I used were all made in the US and Canada and proceeded to rust away badly to the point chunks of the rotor were coming apart.

I slapped on a set of Wagner Thermoquiet QC748 ceramic pads and bled/flushed the fluid system. I proceeded to bed the pads as per the instructions, and could smell the resin after several hard stops. The brake pedal sensation is comparable to a factory set of smooth rotors, with the tiniest hint of feedback. Time will tell on how well these rotors stand up to Michigan salt winters and moisture/humidity, and whether the rotors will crack with severe use due to the drilling.

Overall: 5/5 stars, these are heavily discounted now so they are worth a try considering OE-style replacements are at the same price or more.

Wiley X Valor Sunglasses (Smoke Grey Lens, Matte Black Frame)
Wiley X Valor Sunglasses (Smoke Grey Lens, Matte Black Frame)
Offered by Vayue
Price: $53.36
26 used & new from $51.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Still prefer my Oakley Flak Jackets which are more refined and have a better design, October 12, 2014
I decided to give the Wiley X Valor a try after having worn Oakleys for over 8 years, and was a bit disappointed. The Valor and Saint earstems are really short for some odd reason. In addition, the earsock and nose materials aren't even close to being as grippy as the Oakley material, causing the Wiley X glasses to slide around a bit.

Wiley X uses metal screws to secure the earstems to the frame, whereas Oakley uses a more integrated approach where the nubs on the earstems are the same material as the earstems and frame. I felt that the Oakley method is more secure and more refined. The Valor and Saint use Ballistic rated lenses, which are noticeably thicker than standard lenses. Oakley uses the same type of lens (thickness and material) in their Ballistic M-Frame line, so this isn't really anything new. The Saint is slightly smaller than the Valor, but the Valor still isn't all that big. My Oakley Flak Jackets have a far better fit and finish.

Overall: 3/5 stars, I was a bit underwhelmed with the Valor and Saint. The laser etched text on each of the lenses annoys me even though they are in the corners. The earstems are way too short, and the earsock/nosepiece material is practically slick - causing the frame to slide around a bit. They are less expensive than Oakleys and it definitely shows.

Wiley X Saint Ops Sunglasses, Grey/Black/Smoke Grey