Profile for Gearhead Mania > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 454

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gearhead Mania RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
George Foreman GFO201R Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill, Red
George Foreman GFO201R Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill, Red
Price: $79.99
5 used & new from $67.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to assemble and use, very portable, July 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good electric grill for use in apartments and condos where a charcoal or propane grill is not permitted for use near the buildings. As an electric grill, it will never truly replace a traditional grill, but it works well enough to cook most meals. I wouldn't recommend cooking it on a tabletop due to the heat it produces, but the stand makes it very portable. Assembly is a breeze and cleanup isn't too bad either. Storage, on the other hand, can be a problem in tight apartments and condos. I do not recommend ever storing this grill outdoors as it isn't designed to withstand the elements.

Overall: 4/5 stars, easy to assemble and use, portable, but won't be permanently replacing a charcoal/propane grill. Cumbersome to store in tight apartments/condos.

Farberware 15-Piece Stamped Stainless-Steel Cutlery Set
Farberware 15-Piece Stamped Stainless-Steel Cutlery Set
Price: $39.99
9 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent set of entry level blades, but the handles feel cheap and the blade quality could be better, July 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The knives arrived out of the packaging with a film of grease or oil on the blade surfaces. The handles are brushed stainless, but still feel very cheap to the touch. The blade material seems acceptable for an entry level set of blades, but I would have preferred better grinds. The blades aren't marked with metal composition and do not carry any NSF logos/insignia. The block is of decent quality though, and it holds everything including the sharpening stick.

Overall: 4/5 stars, great entry level set of blades for casual use. The handles feel cheap and the grinds could be better.

Sauder Multimedia Storage Tower, Cinnamon Cherry
Sauder Multimedia Storage Tower, Cinnamon Cherry
Price: $40.00
15 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, high quality components, easy installation except for the backing, July 25, 2015
This was rather simple to install, except for 2 aspects. If I size it entirely for DVDs and Blu-Rays, then I end up with an extra shelf (F) that I can't fit anywhere. I'd have to size it for perhaps 2-3 rows of CDs in order to fit in an extra shelf. The other aspect is the rear cardboard backing. It was difficult to lay flat, so after nailing a few corners, I end up with some bulges.

Overall: 4/5 stars, heavy and well made, installation was fairly simple except for the backing.

Belkin MFi Certified 4-Foot 90 Degree Lightning to USB Charge Sync Cable for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 5 / 5S /5c and iPod touch 5th Gen (Black)
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well-made, right-angle connector is a smart idea, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The right angle Lightning plug is easy to use and prevents strain or damage to the end of the cable since it doesn't just stick straight out. The USB 3.0 connector for my Samsung Galaxy S5 sticks out like a sore thumb and is always a point of contention inside my car. The Belkin cable quality is superb. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for Apple devices.

Overall: 5/5 stars, well-made and the right angle Lightning connector is certainly an improvement

Haier Chromebook 11 (11.6-Inch, 16 GB Storage)
Haier Chromebook 11 (11.6-Inch, 16 GB Storage)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware and specs, but the keyboard could be better, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Chromebook concept is intended to be a light workstation that relies on data stored in your Google Drive account and Google accounts. The concept works, so it was never intended to replace a power-user's main notebook computer. The hardware is put together very well but the keyboard keys need to be improved for ergonomics. I found it difficult to type fast because some of the keys were oddly shaped. The screen resolution is abysmal, but the font size and display settings somehow make it work. The GPU and CPU work together nicely to enable HD video without hiccups. The boot times and shut down times are lightning fast. That said, I can't really replace my daily use notebook with the Chromebook because some of the programs I use are more powerful than the basic apps provided by Chromebook. In addition, the login process stinks with Chromebook. Instead of a shortened device specific password or PIN (such as a Windows 8 laptop), I have to enter my Google account password every single time. This is cumbersome and forces me to want to use an easier password, or worse, just log onto my own Chromebook as a Guest. I understand the arguments for/against the use of the full password, but I just felt I'd use the Chromebook more if I was given the choice of using a less cumbersome login process to my Chromebook's main account.

Overall: 4/5 stars, great hardware, keyboard needs improvement

Sentinel FM120P 12-Sheet High Security Micro-Cut Paper/CD/Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket, Black
Price: $119.99
6 used & new from $107.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit heavy but works well to destroy sensitive documents, July 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The micro cuts seem more square than like small confetti strips, but it works well enough to destroy most financial/sensitive documents. The roller wheels allows for easy transport in an office environment, and the pull out tray makes emptying a simple task.

Overall: 5/5 stars,

Samsung BD-J5700 Curved Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi (2015 Model)
Samsung BD-J5700 Curved Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi (2015 Model)
Price: Click here to see our price
33 used & new from $41.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than my Sony Blu-Ray player and was compatible with my HDMI switch, July 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I rarely use the apps on "smart" media devices because I have a dedicated media PC connected to my flatscreen. Most of the apps require you to buy the full service subscription. For example, Hulu Plus is required for use on many smart TVs and devices like the Xbox One. However, I can play shows via Hulu free on my media PC.

This Samsung Blu-Ray player plays discs really well. I am able to navigate through movie menus with the greatest of ease. I can also use it with my HDMI switch. My Sony Blu-Ray player refuses to work properly with the same switch. In addition, the Samsung remote control allows me to control my Samsung flat screen TV. The disc player isn't overly noisy but I can hear the disc spinning if I'm close to the player and if there's no audio coming from the TV. The curved design is unique but I don't think it was necessary other than perhaps for better airflow beneath the device.

Turning the player on/off seems to be a tad tricky. There are no noticeable power LEDs or displays for the device, and the eject button didn't seem as responsive as I'd like. It is a tray loader with a flap that opens and closes to conceal the tray.

Overall: 5/5 stars, works a lot better than my Sony Blu-Ray player

5.11 3 Day Rush Backpack, Flat Dark Earth
5.11 3 Day Rush Backpack, Flat Dark Earth
Offered by Daybreak Enterprises, Inc.
Price: $169.99
4 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile bag, definitely at least a 3 day pack, maybe up to 5 days for business trips, July 19, 2015
There are numerous pockets (zippered, velcroed, you name it) to the point I have to dig around to find where I placed my items. The MOLLE webbing is strategically placed, and I was able to attach a multi-tool holster and first aid kit on the outside for a camping trip. The nametape and morale patch velcro strips also add to the versatility of this pack. Compared to the issued packs from the Army, the 5.11 is significantly better. I can honestly say that this could be my only carry-on for a 3-5 day business trip. There's no dedicated laptop pocket though, but it can fit a laptop. Just be aware it lacks the padding from the laptop sleeves found in bags like Swiss Gear or Timbuktu. The hydration pouch was confusing at first, but Camelbaks never came with clear instructions or guidance on how to route the hoses either.

My only complaint, and it is a big one - is that the outermost pocket is attached to the main body of the bag with 4 straps that have fastex connectors. I don't understand the point of this. It allows for a large storage area but objects can fall out the top since there's no cover. I would have preferred everything to be attached so the bag feels tighter. As it is, it kind of flops around.

Overall: 5/5 stars

GoPro Dual Battery Charger for Hero 3 and Hero 3+
GoPro Dual Battery Charger for Hero 3 and Hero 3+
Offered by Fox electronics
Price: $22.95
36 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, well made, and works perfectly for the Hero3/Hero3+ batteries, July 17, 2015
This comes in handy for charging 2 batteries at a time. My problem with the Hero3+ is that I run out of battery power before I run out of SD storage space especially with the WiFi app viewfinder running, so having at least 2 batteries and this charger is paramount to finishing a small film project.

Overall: 5/5 stars

USA Flag (Left Arm) Rubber Velcro Patch by Hazard 4(R) - Coyote
USA Flag (Left Arm) Rubber Velcro Patch by Hazard 4(R) - Coyote
Price: $5.99
9 used & new from $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and durable, July 17, 2015
This fits perfectly on my gear and there are 13 stripes and 50 stars. I couldn't find a morale patch I liked, but what better morale patch than Old Glory!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20