Profile for Gearhead Mania > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 337

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gearhead Mania RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Xbox One Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle
Xbox One Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle
Offered by Tiger Deals
Price: Click here to see our price
199 used & new from $314.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "Meh..." Not that much of an upgrade over Xbox 360, February 28, 2015
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Xbox One

By now, everything that needs to be said about Xbox One probably has been said. However, I purchased this later in the game just so I could get Forza 5 and Horizon 2 at a lower price, and for any bugs to be worked out on the console. I did extensive research on Xbox One and Playstation 4 considering they are almost identical in terms of hardware. The PS4 has a much smaller chassis with a smaller cooling fan, while the Xbox One chassis is HUGE and it has a very large cooling fan. The Xbox One definitely resembles an old 1980s VCR. I barely had room to fit in my media cabinet.

I hooked up my Xbox One just like a traditional game console: HDMI to the HDMI switch. I don't care for Kinect or using the Xbox One as a multimedia receiver. That said, there is a feature with Xbox One to put it in standby mode for "Instant On" capability. I quickly learned that this feature consumes about 40W of power! I switched that setting off, so that it completely shuts down to save on my energy bill.

I would have assumed that with the 8-core processor, gobs of memory, and overall updated hardware that it would boot faster than my Xbox 360 Slim. Instead, the Xbox One feels just as slow as Xbox 360. Forza 5 and Horizon 2 have cool effects like tire smoke, particles from grass/objects, but that is about it. I really don't feel that much of a difference from Forza 4 and Horizon, certainly not enough to justify buying a new console. The 1080P resolution just means the text is much smaller than before. Game load times are about the same, if not slower at times.

The controller layout is the same as before, but the overall feel is different as if it was made for slightly smaller hands. The batteries sit deeper into the unit so there's no compartment sticking out. In addition, there seems to be dedicated force feedback for the trigger buttons. In Forza 5, if I lock up my brakes, the brake trigger will vibrate. If I lose traction during takeoff, I will feel vibration through the throttle trigger.

Overall: 4/5 decent next-gen console, but it just doesn't feel next-gen enough. Load times are just as bad. And games have to be installed at about 35GB a pop. The 500GB hard drive only has about 360GB free once the console is set up without ANY apps or games. So that means a max of about 10 games can be installed at a time. I also kind of wish it had a solid state drive instead of a much slower hard drive.

Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker
Price: $49.00
52 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, easy to transport, even easier to use, February 28, 2015
This is my first crock pot, and a co-worker recommended that I avoid Hamilton Beach. I was skeptical about less expensive models, since many of them are probably made by the same company or suppliers (Proctor Silex and Hamilton Beach for instance), but the Crock-Pot brand stoneware in this model is stamped Sunbeam Products. The programmable timer works as advertised. Once the countdown is complete, it revers to keeping the food warm.

The only complaint I have is that it is hard to clean behind the gasket on the lid. I noticed chili and other foods tend to collect behind the lip of the gasket (facing the glass). In addition, there are only 3 nubs on the bottom of the crockpot, so it is rather unbalanced even sitting on a flat surface.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price for a timer crockpot with locking latches. I transported my chili in the back seat of my car without any problems or spillages.

Sterilite 2008004 Cake Server, White (CLEAR, 1)
Sterilite 2008004 Cake Server, White (CLEAR, 1)
Offered by Better Linen
Price: $14.80
15 used & new from $9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit hard to store in a cabinet, but is great for transporting cakes, February 28, 2015
This cake keeper worked extremely well in protecting a cake that I brought into work. It is easy to serve and even easier to clean. The only problem I have is finding enough room to store it in a cabinet.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price, durable, easy to use and clean

Bissell 1316 Bolt Reach Pet Cordless Hand Vacuum, 14.4-volt
Bissell 1316 Bolt Reach Pet Cordless Hand Vacuum, 14.4-volt
Price: $68.21
2 used & new from $61.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Has NiMH batteries, but suction isn't the best, dust bin easily opens up accidentally, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like others have noted, the motor takes a few moments to spool up to full speed. Even at full speed, the suction is good for a cordless but it's not as strong as I'd like. It still has a hard time picking up dust/lint from behind my computer keyboard keys. It actually pulled up a piece of small lint but the lint got jammed in the spacebar and the Bissell couldn't suck it up. My corded vacuums would have just inhaled that piece of lint.

The Bissell comes with 2 attachments. One is an extended crevice tool, the other is a "pet" tool with rubber nubs similar to the type of tools you'd use to lift up pet fur. Unfortunately, these attachments don't clip onto the Bissell! It would be very easy to lose these attachments over the years, I would have preferred them to clip onto or be stored inside of a housing/compartment.

Do NOT grip the dust bin by the sides or else it will easily pop open. This appears to be a defect in the design of the latching system. I thought I might have hit the release button, but I was able to replicate this condition by simply grabbing the bin by the sides and gently pulling it apart.

The biggest saving grace is the use of NiMH batteries which have a much larger capacity than the traditional NiCd batteries used in cordless vacuums. In addition, NiMH doesn't have the same memory effect issues as NiCd, at least it takes several years before it occurs versus 12 months max with NiCd.

Overall: 3/5 stars, suction isn't the best. For this money, I'd recommend a Eureka Hand-Held vacuum unless you absolutely need a cordless vacuum. The corded Eureka is significantly more powerful. The dust bin on this Bissell also has a defective latching design. It will open up inadvertently if you grip it by the sides of the bin.

Philips Sonicare HX6921/04 Flexcare Plus Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6921/04 Flexcare Plus Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: $144.10
2 used & new from $144.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Same model as last year with a different color scheme, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I purchased a Sonicare Flexcare Plus last year, and it had a blue rubberized coating whereas this is entirely white. After a full year of usage, there will be some film that builds up at the bottom where water drips and collects. This causes the bottom to turn yellow, so just be aware of this and keep it clean.

There are no mechanical moving parts with these brushes, the brush head just "vibrates" rapidly causing the toothpaste/fluid mixture to agitate and flow through gum lines and in-between teeth, while the brush works gently and rapidly to remove stains/debris from the teeth. I watched YouTube videos demonstrating how to use the Diamond Clean Sonicare system, bottom line is that I am truly impressed with the performance of Sonicare after using it for the first time.

Oral-B wasn't bad, but it doesn't feel "as clean" after using those brushes. The Oral-B system is similar to a random orbital buffer, where the brush head rotates back/forth rapidly. There are numerous Oral-B brushes but I always found myself using the Oral-B Sensitive and Precision clean, and never liked the Floss Action or Tri-Action heads. The brushes cleaned my teeth but it always felt like it was rather rough on my gums and teeth without being able to get into the deeper nooks/crannies. The Sonicare system seems (at least in my opinion) to agitate the fluid enough to allow it to clean other areas that a brush normally cannot reach.

I purchased compact Diamond Clean heads after extensively researching Sonicare's confusing line of brush heads, before I actually bought a Sonicare toothbrush. I noticed the Diamond Clean was the most expensive but highly rated tooth brush available, with 7x the cleaning power. I was curious to see what differences (if any) there were with the actual Diamond Clean tooth brush versus a less expensive model such as the Essence or Flexcare series. I quickly found that most of these brush heads are compatible with the Flexcare and Diamond Clean, with the Essence being a low-budget line. There didn't seem to be a difference in performance between the Flexcare Plus or the Diamond Clean toothbrushes, so I ordered and received the Flexcare, and used the compact Diamond Head brush for my teeth. The Diamond Clean seemed to just have a fancy USB-charger for the travel case and a fancy rinsing glass/charger base, and would come with full-sized Diamond Clean heads. There's nothing wrong, but it was substantially more expensive than the Flexcare Plus.

The Flexcare Plus comes with a single full-sized ProResults brush, which I felt was too big and I didn't like the feel. The compact Diamond Clean has a much higher bristle density, with lots of tiny bristles packed into an area for maximum cleaning. The smaller size allowed me to focus on tight spots as well as cover the larger surface areas (flat parts of teeth, biting surfaces, etc...)

The Flexcare Plus comes with a charger base that also includes a travel charger with a base that you can wrap the power cord around. The Flexcare Plus utilizes a Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery pack, that should be good for at least 2-5 years. I would have preferred a Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery because they have a longer lifespan.

The Flexcare Plus is quieter than the Oral-B Triumph and Precision Care series brushes. It's basically the same difference between using an electric hair trimmer with and without the attachment installed: a high frequency mosquito "buzz" (Sonicare) versus mechanical parts moving back/forth rapidly (Oral-B). If I accidentally touch my tongue or lip on the Sonicare brush head, it sort of feels tingly due to the vibration from the brush head.

Overall: 5/5 stars, I am very impressed with Sonicare! There are no moving parts on the brush head, it relies on high frequency "vibration" of the head which results in a brushing action as well as agitates the toothpaste/fluid to clean your gums and teeth. Since I've already been using Oral-B for over 15 years, I am not new to electric toothbrushes and didn't have any problems adjusting to Sonicare immediately.

After a year of using the Sonicare, I can say that the Sonicare Flexcare Plus with the compact Diamond Clean brush does a much better job at whitening and cleaning than the Oral B. However, the Oral B is easier to use in corners/tight spots as well as behind the front teeth. The Diamond Clean in compact is much easier to maneuver compared to the full sized Sonicare brushes, but it is still a bit awkward for tight spots or behind the front teeth.

Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, Vanilla Chai, 15.4 Ounce
Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, Vanilla Chai, 15.4 Ounce
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes good, quite a bit of fiber and nutrients, February 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Vega's Protein and Recovery formulas, and decided to try the All-in-One nutritional shake. The shake tastes very good, even though the contents resemble wheat grass drinks after being mixed with water. There's also a lot of components that settle to the bottom of my blender bottle, but everything tastes like vanilla chai with a hint of vegetables. According to the labeling, it has 20 grams of protein, 6 servings of greens, 50% of vitamins and minerals, 25% of fiber, 1.5 grams of Omega-3, equivalent antioxidants to 3.3 cups of blueberries, equivalent probiotics to 1 cup of yogurt, and 170 calories. My only complaint would be that it tastes very sweet. I would probably alternate between this and the Recovery formula based on how my workouts are more functional than strength based.

Overall: 5/5 stars, quite a bit of nutrients in a single serving, maybe a little too sweet

Olay Regenerist Luminous Brightening and Protecting Lotion with SPF 15 Fragrance-Free, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Price: $20.32
11 used & new from $11.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Moisturizes without being greasy, strong sunblock odor, February 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Understanding this is SPF15, I still feel it has an almost overpowering sunblock odor. SPF15 would work well for light UV radiation, but during the summer it might as well just be regular lotion. I didn't notice my face looking brighter after the first application, but it does moisturize very well. The box says that after 2 weeks, the skin should have an even texture while after 4 weeks, the majority of test subjects reported brighter glowing skin. My only complaint is the sunblock odor.

Overall: 4/5 stars

Philips Norelco NT3155/60 3100 Nose Trimmer
Philips Norelco NT3155/60 3100 Nose Trimmer
Offered by Shavers
Price: $14.78
5 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, easy to clean, runs on a single AA, February 21, 2015
Philips Norelco NT3155 Nose Trimmer

I've used a variety of nose/facial hair trimmers in the past, and I feel this is probably the easiest to use for trimmer nose hairs and eyebrows. I don't have hair in my ears, but it should work just as well due to the design of the trimmer. The trimmer head is angled and the special cutting edges allow for painless trimming in small canals (like your nose or ears). The little brush for the eyebrow works very well and I was able to clean up my eyebrows within a few minutes. It uses a single AA battery, so you don't ever have to worry about dead battery packs or charging. The one complaint I have is the lack of a storage pouch/compartment to hold the trimmer with the eyebrow brush. It's possible to just keep the eyebrow brush attached as a safety cap, but then it's possible to lose the safety cap - or vice versa!

Overall: 5/5 stars, easy to use and very effective, uses a single AA cell

Philips PureRadiance Multi-Speed Skin Cleansing System, Peach
Philips PureRadiance Multi-Speed Skin Cleansing System, Peach
Price: $124.99
9 used & new from $124.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, great design features, February 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using an Olay skin cleansing system that runs on a pair of AA batteries. While effective, I never felt like it would clean my skin as well as it should. The Philips PureRadiance has a Li-Ion battery pack with a much better head design and adds sonic pulses to the oscillation of the brushes. After only a single use, I could visibly detect a difference in my skin. It felt and looked clean and smooth. My skin is naturally very oily so I have to wash it at least 2-3 times a day: once in the morning, once when I come home from work, and once after I shower! These are also followed by using an alcohol based toner, even during the winter with the dry air! There are timers built-in so you can scrub your face in sections, not unlike an Oral-B tooth brush.

The Philips PureRadiance brush heads are easy to clean and change. The charger is not waterproof, but the device itself is waterproof and can be used in the shower. The initial charge takes almost forever! It is designed to let the brush head dry on the charging stand, but the stand isn't very stable. The other thing is that the PureRadiance has very feminine design cues. From the coloring to the shape, to the zippered pouch - it really is targeted for the female demographic, but it works great for men as well.

Overall: 5/5 stars

Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder
Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder
Price: $19.98
9 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly through standard drywall, February 16, 2015
I experimented by using the e50 through areas with known studs, and it detected them 100% of the time. The only time the e50 gave sporadic results was if I calibrated it initially in front of a stud or object behind the drywall. Then it would start producing erratic results. The LCD display and LED red arrow make it very easy to use, much more so than my dad's ancient 1980s stud finder with an analog calibration wheel and a series of LED indicators. The e50 uses a 9V battery and the battery actually just slides into the contacts without relying on those annoying connector tabs designed for 9V batteries.

Overall: 5/5 stars, works reliably - just make sure you are calibrating it in a empty spot otherwise it will produce erratic results - I know this isn't the easiest thing to do, after all it is supposed to find the studs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20