Profile for Gearhead Mania > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 380

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gearhead Mania RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
J-Tech Digital JTD3DSP0501 5-Port High Speed HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote and AC Power Adapter
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $27.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy unit, AC adapter not required, April 25, 2015
I found that this HDMI switch is much heavier than the typical switches I've seen. A device that is "always on" such as the Amazon Fire TV stick or a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player, keeps an LED lit on this switch. I recommend keeping a device that isn't always on, connected to Port 1. I found I never really needed to use the remote control or the AC adapter.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price for a 5-port HDMI switch. With the sheer number of HDMI devices these days, having only 1 or 2 HDMI ports on a TV is rarely enough.

Skulpt Aim Measures Body Fat Percentage and Muscle Quality
Skulpt Aim Measures Body Fat Percentage and Muscle Quality
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent results for muscle quality and body fat percentage at specific muscle group sites, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Syncing the Skulpt device to the phone has revealed some quirks in the app, but if I retry enough times it will get through. I found that I had to moisten the sensors after each muscle group to ensure better contact. I found that the results are fairly consistent. After doing the entire body (the upper back is easiest with a helper), I found my glutes and calves need the most work due compared to my other muscle groups and that is reasonable given my workouts don't really tax those muscles. I was able to set everything up within 10 minutes, and do a full body scan in about the same time. I had to watch the videos a few times to figure out how to measure some of the sites.

Overall: 5/5 stars, expensive but offers a lot more insight into "muscle quality" and body fat percentage at specific muscle sites. Doesn't appear to be a way to share the results, say on Facebook, or somehow link it with Fitbit/MyFitnessPal at the moment.

All Clad Textiles Premium Collection Heavyweight 100-Percent Cotton Twill and Silicone Pot Holder, Pewter
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised with solid grip from the silicone ribbing, April 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The cotton fabric is thick enough that I don't feel heat through the material. The silicone ribs allow for positive grip on pots/pans without slipping, and silicone can withstand temperatures of at least 450F so most objects from an oven should never melt or burn the silicone.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great idea to have silicone ribs to provide positive traction. The steam barrier and thick material provide added insulation against hot metal objects

Pulstar (he1ht9) Spark Plug (Pack of 2)
Pulstar (he1ht9) Spark Plug (Pack of 2)
Price: $34.73
4 used & new from $32.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, great protective packaging, seems to have solved my Ducati hard cold start issue..., April 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used these on my 2009 Ducati Monster 696, even though Pulstar's catalog showed a different heat range of plug for the 696 (Heat Range 2 vs the HE1HT9 which was heat Range 1). Apparently, these would run hotter. After additional testing, I found that my Ducati can now start up with 1 push of the starter button even when it is below 40F. My 696 has an issue starting below 55F which requires additional cranking, whether it was with copper or fine-wire Iridium plugs.

The Pulstars seemed to make the idling smoother and the throttle response slightly better, but overall there wasn't any real difference from my Denso fine-wire Iridium plugs once the engine is running. The Pulstars are sidegapped (the top ground electrode is cut away exposing the center electrode) to about 0.035" or slightly larger. I couldn't find out the material they used for the electrodes - was it platinum, Iridium, etc??? So I just slapped them in the Ducati at 0.035" gap, torqued them to 20 N-m and tried them out. I am also running Magnecor spark plug wires, which never made a difference over the standard wires either.

Overall: 5/5 stars, expensive, great protective plastic packaging, interesting theory behind the plugs, but no real noticeable difference over standard plugs or fine-wire Iridium plugs once the engine is running. I did find that my 696 now starts with 1 crank even in cold weather (below 40F ambient). I'll need to run these long-term to see the longevity of the electrode and how well it performs at higher temperatures.

Jolly Rancher Hard Candy, Blue Raspberry Flavor, 88 Ounce
Jolly Rancher Hard Candy, Blue Raspberry Flavor, 88 Ounce
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Large bag of awesome hard candy, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very large bag of jolly ranchers! The blue raspberry is only slightly tart. Blue raspberry happens to be my favorite flavor of slurpees, ice cream, slushies, etc...

Overall: 5/5 stars

Delta 75152 Adjustable Water-Amplifying® showerhead with H2Okinetic® Technology, Chrome
Price: $22.80
5 used & new from $22.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great - lot of spray without noise or pain, April 20, 2015
I swapped out the showerhead in my condo with this Delta, and it works extremely well. I did have to use about 4 wraps of teflon tape to prevent leaks, so I may recommend using PTFE thread sealant instead as it would seal more positively without cranking down on the head. The only part that is metal is the brass fitting that attaches to the water pipe. Everything else feels like chromed plastic. I am using the lower water pressure setting because that's all I need. There is plenty of water flow at that setting. The noise isn't loud at all, and there's no pain from the higher flow setting either.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price for a showerhead that works at lower water pressures.

HD Frequency Cable Cutter Indoor/Outdoor HD Digital TV Antenna (CC-17)
HD Frequency Cable Cutter Indoor/Outdoor HD Digital TV Antenna (CC-17)
Price: $99.00
17 used & new from $64.38

5.0 out of 5 stars YMMV - depends on environmental setup, April 20, 2015
At my old house where the subdivision is surrounded by trees and is located about 20-30 miles from the closest towers, the HD Frequency Cable Cutter in my living room wasn't picking up signals as well as my Winegard in the attic. In my new condo where it is on the second floor with an almost clear line of sight to the towers (also about 10 miles closer), the HD CC picks up all the HD channels with full signal strength with the exception of one broadcast station (CBS HD) which is a few bars down from full.

I noticed that the HDCC picks up channels even better when it lays down flat on the floor. It doesn't matter if it is on the first floor or second floor, but for some odd reason this antenna works perfectly when it is flat on the ground. I ended up securing the HDCC with 1 dry wall screw inside the house, aimed straight at the broadcast stations.

Overall: 5/5 stars, please note that the conditions of your area will play a huge role in the performance of this antenna. I'd say that it isn't capable of 50+ mile range unless it has clear line of sight.

Cable Matters® 3-Pack, CL2 In-Wall Rated (CM) Quad Shielded RG6 Coaxial Patch Cable in White 3 Feet
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for high quality quad-shielded RG-6, April 20, 2015
The cable quality is outstanding! The quad shielding is nice, but I also noticed they used O-rings for sealing the connections to prevent corrosion from moisture intrusion.

Overall: 5/5 stars, great price for high quality quad-shielded RG-6

ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router
ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router
Offered by CircuitCity
Price: $213.99
72 used & new from $148.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast performance, great range, get the latest firmware update, April 20, 2015
This router is fantastic. The range is outstanding and network speeds are faster than my older Netgear routers. The range is roughly 55-60 feet, extending outside my house. The router consumes about 9.5W of power, which is acceptable especially given its dual-core processor. With the latest firmware, the MAC filter list is now consolidated for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks, but out of the box the lists were separate! I didn't appreciate the QIS setup at first, but have slowly grown accustomed to it. I don't like the fact I cannot name the devices in the MAC filter list like I could with Netgear because it makes identifying devices easier. The wireless network performance is really exceptional and comes in handy in congested areas like condos or apartments. The black design/styling makes it look very slick, but it requires a lot of vertical room for storage as opposed to the Netgear routers which can sit in a shelf.

Overall: 5/5 stars, outstanding performance, well worth the price

MLB New York Yankees Game AC On Field 59Fifty Fitted Cap-718
MLB New York Yankees Game AC On Field 59Fifty Fitted Cap-718
Price: $26.86
37 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels stiff and not the most comfortable, but sizing is spot-on, April 20, 2015
The sizing is spot-on, but the sweat band area is very stiff and unflexible. As a result, the hat isn't as comfortable as a typical "baseball" cap that you can buy. The plastic mesh material behind the logo is also very stiff. The hat looks like an authentic New Era, but they are now made in China.

Overall: 5/5 stars