Profile for Andrew M > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew M RSS Feed (Brooklyn, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2
HYDRA Humidifier
HYDRA Humidifier
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $110.34
26 used & new from $75.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working for me too, February 1, 2013
This review is from: HYDRA Humidifier (Misc.)
Mine lasted about 2 months before it died. Should have read the reviews here before buying it. When it worked it was great. Highly recommended if you only need a humidifier for 6-8 weeks.

Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
by Steven D. Levitt
Price: $22.94
611 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Loses the plot, July 31, 2010
This starts as an interesting and captivating book in the first few chapters, but some of the hype generated by the chapter titles falls very flat. Then about half way through the book it appears they ran out of freaky economics and they launch into global warming conspiracies, meh - and that's the end of the fast-paced writing style we're used to.

Canon PIXMA MP990 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One Printer (3749B002)
Canon PIXMA MP990 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One Printer (3749B002)
4 used & new from $250.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats ink even when not printing, July 20, 2010
I bought this printer, set it up on Wifi, printed a few pages and left it online in case I needed to print anything. Seems reasonable.

About 2 months later I tried to print again - literally the second time I'd ever used the printer, and it reported low ink levels! Another few weeks and maybe 10 pages later, and it had run out of some colors altogether.

How is that possible? Well it may have to do with the strange noise it makes now and again, as if it's cleaning and calibrating itself in the night. It also spends about a minute making this noise before it will start a print job. Once it's actually printing, it's quick, but getting there is painful.

The features are great - the only thing I miss is a feeder to scan in more than 1 page at once. But with the cost of ink and the thirst this thing has, I'd stay away.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2010 7:55 PM PST

Night Train
Night Train
Price: $9.99
68 used & new from $0.32

2.0 out of 5 stars I want my money back, June 2, 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
I was so happy to see a new Keane album out that I bought this without evening listening to the samples. Well, I should've. Where are the energetic vocals? What is with the rapper? What happened to the complex harmonies and well-rounded mix of instruments? All I know is that this album isn't going to get better with subsequent listens, and I wish I hadn't bought it.

Canon PowerShot PSC-900 Deluxe Leather Compact Dig
Canon PowerShot PSC-900 Deluxe Leather Compact Dig
Offered by Focus Camera
Price: $24.95
8 used & new from $21.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality leather case, perfect fit for S90, November 8, 2009
After buying the fantastic new Canon S90, I tried a few generic camera bags, but due to the slightly protruding lens of the S90, all cases were either unnecessarily bulky or too tight a fit.

This case is designed exclusively for the S90 and cleverly makes space for the lens by using a cut-out in the inner case. The camera slots in neatly without any pressure on sensitive parts, yet is snug enough that it won't rattle around.

All leather looks and feels to be excellent quality, and the interior is super-soft suede that won't scratch your beloved S90.

Another reviewer pointed out the lack of additional space for memory cards & batteries. I think Canon chose the best compromise between bulkiness and practicality - with the prices of 16/32GB SDHC cards nowadays, you shouldn't ever need more than one memory card for any outing... and another battery would just make it too bulky. My only minor complaint is that I have to undo my belt to mount the case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2011 8:44 AM PDT

Fisher Space Bullet Space Pen with Clip, Chrome, Gift Boxed (400CL)
Fisher Space Bullet Space Pen with Clip, Chrome, Gift Boxed (400CL)
Price: $20.04
53 used & new from $12.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pen, useless clip, September 17, 2009
I love the space pen. It fits in my jeans' coin pocket but folds out the size of a normal pen. It writes well. The finish is great quality and feels like it will last a lifetime. All except the clip. The clip fell off within a week, and now it's lost forever.

Sony Bravia S-Series KDL-40S4100 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (2008 Model)
Sony Bravia S-Series KDL-40S4100 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (2008 Model)

4.0 out of 5 stars No headphone jack or night mode, August 12, 2009
This is my first ever HDTV so I can't compare it to others, but I am consistently blown away by the image quality when watching BluRay movies and playing PS3, and can't imagine how it could be much better.

However, I live in a small apartment and bought a pair of headphones for my wife so she could watch her girly TV series in private, ... until I realized that there is nowhere to plug in external headphones. It has RCA-out for an amplifier, but no headphones? Come on, even a $50 black & white telly has that!!

While on the subject of sound: when watching BluRay, the difference between soft and loud volume is so great that I constantly find myself increasing and decreasing the volume. This TV could really have benefited from a Night Mode, and sadly the PS3 does not seem to have one either.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2010 7:50 AM PST

Schneier on Security
Schneier on Security
by Bruce Schneier
Price: $21.40
81 used & new from $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been edited for book form, August 12, 2009
This review is from: Schneier on Security (Hardcover)
The content of this book is good: interesting perspectives on everyday security problems and why the existing solutions won't work.

However there were two things that frustrated me about this book:

Firstly, Schneier makes a few suggestions on how things should be done, but sometimes without elaborating his reasoning. Other times he'll explain why existing measures don't work but without offering anything better of his own.

Secondly, while I appreciate that this is a collection of blog postings and past articles, some were already out of date when the book was published and many of them overlap with almost identical ideas and even copy, and this means there is quite a bit of repetition between chapters. I feel like these articles could've been merged and refactored into a more suitable list of edited chapters before being published as a book.

That said, it's still a worthwhile read.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
Price: $649.00
124 used & new from $255.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Canon all-purpose zoom, August 12, 2009
I bought this lens a few years ago before I got serious about photography. Since then everything else in my kit has slowly been upgraded, but I just never seem to find a good enough reason to replace the 70-300mm.

The major downsides of this lens are its slightly kludgy focus with a rotating front ring, and its slightly slow aperture compared to whats available.

But then the upsides:
1) 3-stop image stabilizer. I can't give this enough praise. I've taken crisp photos at 300mm with 1/15s shutter speed, sharp enough to make it onto Flickr's blog.
2) Lightweight - as a travel zoom you can't beat the versatility versus weight.
3) Sharpness, colours and contrast are top notch. People who've seen photos from this lens have assumed I had a big white expensive lens, and are shocked when they find out.

Sure it feels very flimsy and isn't weather sealed, but the reality is, mine has been to dusty game drives in Africa and air shows on a windy beach, and is still like new. For similar money one can get a 70-200mm F4L, but for me the lack of IS on a 200mm lens is a deal breaker.

I've often considered upgrading to the 70-200mm f2.8L IS or 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L, or primes such as the 300mm f4, but every time have to ask myself: as a serious hobbyist (rather than a professional), can I really justify the huge expense when this is almost always good enough?

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $1,854.01
42 used & new from $909.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, August 12, 2009
After deliberation between this and the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras as a professional quality standard zoom, I chose this one. Besides the obvious reason - having that extra stop of light to freeze action and give more flexible depth-of-field - after playing with both lenses, my reasoning for choosing the 24-70 was:

1) Color saturation is better. Pictures come straight out of the camera with the most amazingly rich colors. In 2 years I have never once had to enhance colors in post-production.

2) Bokeh quality. While this is subjective, I have yet to see another zoom lens match the silky smooth out-of-focus areas that one gets from the 24-70.

3) Tough and weatherproof. It seemed tougher than the other, with the lens hood covering the extension mechanism. Since purchasing, this lens has been through heavy rainstorms, through dust and wind, and never been any worse for the wear afterwards.

Yes it is big and heavy, but if you want these features you have to pay the price.

Why didn't I give it 5 stars? Because my copy was slightly soft on the wide end. I know it can be calibrated by Canon but I would expect when buying a professional lens that it should be pre-calibrated at the factory and designed to stay that way.

(As an aside: If you're looking for a standard / walkaround zoom for a cropped-body camera like the 40D/400D, the 24-70mm is not wide-angle enough. For my 40D I ended up buying the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras instead, which is far better suited to those cameras.)

Page: 1 | 2