Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Profile for J. Polson > Reviews

Browse

J. Polson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Polson "Mom" RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lose It!
Lose It!
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars great even for limited use, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Lose It! (App)
I go off and on diets all the time. So I use the calorie counter off and on when I'm motivated, and the weight tracker more frequently. It's very easy to use and very forgiving and flexible if you use it sparingly. Plus the price is right!

The Boomer's Guide to Aging Parents: The Complete Guide
The Boomer's Guide to Aging Parents: The Complete Guide
by Attorney Carolyn L. Rosenblatt R.N.
Price: $19.95
37 used & new from $1.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening book for those who feel confused, August 24, 2012
This is really an excellent book for helping to clear up a lot of the confusion about how exactly to deal with parents who no longer are able to care for themselves. It's really clear and easy to read for the lay person, without being overly fluffy or emotionally loaded. It's also extremely practical with step-by-step advice. I've read other books who for my situation (a difficult parent) basicly conclude "it's going to be tough" and offer no real advice. This book offers a spectrum for options, so I don't feel so lost. Wonderful find. I've purchased a second copy for my brother.

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
54 used & new from $26.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Glitches really detract, June 4, 2012
I want to really like this product, but it's just not measuring up. Using Gmail on this device is erratic - sometimes you get all the features (ie ability to delete emails) and sometimes you don't. My device is 6 months old now (a gift) and it's now starting to slow down and/or freeze up at random times. Apparently this is a known glitch, but a hard restart doesn't solve the problem. Very unreliable. I do like the Amazon store feature - very easy to purchase items. Makes sense that they have this working well. I would not recommend this device to anyone, but it was a gift.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2012 4:57 AM PDT

OXO Good Grips Digital Timer
OXO Good Grips Digital Timer
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming back for #2, October 27, 2011
I've just read some negative comments, but I've loved this timer. I'm ordering my second as I accidentally dropped mine behind the stove, after about 5 years of successful use, and just can't move the stove. I use mine every day to help get my daughter out the door to school in the morning. It's great for watching the time tick down. We've had no problems seeing the digits at all, and we all wear glasses. I love the way the timing of the beeps change depending on how long it runs over. We can hear it all the way across the house, and it's helpful to hear from a distance how late you might be in responding to the timer before actually reaching it and seeing the display of how many extra minutes have gone by - a fantastic feature. I do agree the buttons can be hard to push down - even moreso after 5 years of use. That's the only reason I downgraded to a 4 rating. If there were a 4 1/2 I would give it that rating. Plus it's stylish - I hate the plasticky white timers that just look so cheap. I'm proud to have this one out and about.

IMS Cadet Gourmet Bully Sticks for Dogs, 1 Pound
IMS Cadet Gourmet Bully Sticks for Dogs, 1 Pound
14 used & new from $24.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Outlet for Chewers, September 23, 2011
This is a great outlet for dogs or puppies who like to chew, and chew safely. While a puppy, one bully stick would keep her entertained for about 2 days, and she never ever went to chew chair or table legs. Priceless. Now that she's older (9 months) they don't last longer than 1/2 hour, but it's still a great diversion when she needs something to do on a rainy day. I limit her to 1 per day as they're not cheap. If buying bully sticks elsewhere, read the ingredients list. You want something that's 100% bull pizzle (which these are). Anything cheaper tends to have something like potato flour in it which has made my dog sick. My dog loves these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 7:27 AM PDT

Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Puppy, Large Breed Lamb and Rice Formula, 6 Pound Bag
Offered by Little Family Members
Price: $22.14
5 used & new from $16.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Lamb Flavor, March 21, 2011
My Australian Shepherd puppy got bored with the regular chicken flavor kibble we were giving her, so we mix it with this and she loves it. We use holistic food, but are aiming towards the brands that are a little more reasonably priced. This fits the bill.

Wedderspoon Raw Manuka Honey KFactor 12, 8.8-Ounce Jar
Wedderspoon Raw Manuka Honey KFactor 12, 8.8-Ounce Jar
Offered by Wedderspoon
Price: $19.46
10 used & new from $19.46

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Believer, March 21, 2011
I'm not the type who buys a lot of stuff like this, but I read an article in a magazine extolling its benefits and I thought I'd give it a try. Now I'm a believer. I'm back to buy my second jar. I add a spoonful to my tea every morning, and I just feel good all day. I have lots more energy, and this from a mom with a large farmhouse to take care of, a part-time job, active volunteer jobs and a new puppy (I'm really busy). Plus I did not get sick at all this winter, which is amazing to me. My husband and daughter caught colds, plus I volunteer at the school library so I'm exposed to lots of germs, but if I felt like something was coming on I doubled my dose and it never turned into anything. I also put it on my finger where a splinter turned into an infection, and one day later it was all better - more effective than neosporin. I also have had less adult acne than before - despite a lot of stress (my trigger).
The taste is so-so, better than medicine but not as tasty as regular honey. I wouldn't buy it as a sweetener, I consider it a useful supplement that doesn't taste offensive. But bottom-line, I'm back for more.

Carlson 0941PW Extra-Tall Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
Carlson 0941PW Extra-Tall Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
Price: $49.99
24 used & new from $42.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdiness & Cups Depend on Door Width, March 1, 2011
We've bought two of these doors, and will likely buy more. We bought the wide one, which works great, and the tall one (here) which works less than great. We think the difference lies not so much in the height, but in how well the gate fits your particular door. There are tension rods at the top and bottom which you adjust to fit your space. With or without extensions, if the amount by which the tension rods are extended is large, then the gate is more "wobbly" - not really wobbly, but a decent push would knock it over. If the amount of the extension is small, then the gates are braced more firmly. Like a previous reviewer, we will be using the screw-on cups to anchor the "wobbly" gate, but they are not needed for the more snugly fitting gate. Both gates were super-easy to assemble, and this coming from someone who is not handy.

We have 4 cats, all sizes, and have had no problems with them even approaching getting stuck in the bars. All cats figured out how to walk through within 1 minute of sniffing. The only problem we've had is the pet door swinging closed sometimes when you go through the people door (you have to check it after you go through) and the cats sometimes closing the pet door accidently. A way to latch it open would be an improvement.

One great solution my husband came up with: if you want to put it at the bottom of a set of stairs, don't rest it on the ground (or step). Raise it so that the bottom bar is level with the walking part of the bottom-most step. The gate is sturdy enough not to need to rest on the ground, and this way you don't risk tripping over the bottom bar while leaving enough room for the cats to go through their door. Works like a charm.

Good luck!

Cesar's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog
Cesar's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog
by Cesar Millan
83 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much . . ., January 19, 2011
This is the first Cesar book I've bought - we're getting a dog in 2 months, and I love his tv show. But I found the book to be very "light" reading. Lots of interesting stories and anecdotes, but not so much that feels applicable to a newbie. For example, I don't need to know how to rehab a police dog who's afraid of tools. I don't really need to know how movie dogs train. I want some basic do's and don'ts for the home pet-owner. I liked the Ian Dunbar chapter and am considering purchasing one of his books next to help me out better.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2012 7:55 AM PDT

Mixed Chicks Shampoo Sulfate Free / Leave-In Conditioner - Sizes
Mixed Chicks Shampoo Sulfate Free / Leave-In Conditioner - Sizes
Offered by Totally Beautiful
Price: $24.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great when used on Wet Hair!, January 5, 2011
What a great product! I have a 7 year-old half black / half white daughter and it was a struggle for years to find a good product. Most products wore off by the end of the day, leaving nothing but dry, soft frizz; other products designed for Afro-hair were incredibly heavy and greasy, despite their claims. I'm ordering my second bottle of Mixed Chicks today after about 4 months of use - not bad for a 10 ounce bottle. I think the trick is making sure the hair is wet before applying (I use a spray bottle on sections of hair) - I find a little product goes a long way. Her hair is now completely manageable with soft ringlets - you can see the huge difference in her school photos! I don't know what I'd do without this product. Oh, and by the way, I don't bother with the shampoo and regular conditioner - I did not see a big difference compared to other, cheaper products. It's the leave-in conditioner that's key.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3