Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Chris Swanson > Reviews

Browse

Chris Swanson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 840

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Swanson "I'm just this guy, you know?" RSS Feed (Phoenix)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Air Hogs, Star Trek U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701-A, Remote Control Vehicle with Lights and Sounds, 2.4 GHZ, 4 Channel
Price: $129.99
15 used & new from $101.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Very neat!, July 29, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've flown a few drones before, and this one is, by far, the easiest to fly. Surprisingly, it even flies well in reasonable winds! I had expected it to be quite back-heavy, simply due to the design, but it's weighted and balanced very nicely. And the "red alert" sound that gets made when you crash is pretty entertaining.

I will say that after the first crash, one of the propellers had to be realigned in order to work. I'm not sure what the fix to this is, and I do with that the manufacturers had included replacement props and tools.

But they didn't, and so they lose a star. But otherwise, quite a neat toy!

Winix HR1000 5-Stage Wifi Enabled Air Cleaner
Winix HR1000 5-Stage Wifi Enabled Air Cleaner
Offered by Brookstone
Price: $379.99
4 used & new from $288.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch the plastic!, July 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This thing seems to work just fine, though at the beginning, things were awkward.

I turned it on, and it seemed to run nicely, though I was confused at the lack of air blowing out. No matter; perhaps it was simply more subtle than I had expected, or so I thought.

Turns out I'd failed to remove all the plastic wrap from the filters. I didn't figure this out on my own, mind you; it took a friend guessing to get it. Ooops.

But once those were off, a gentle breeze blew out!

I will say that I haven't noticed a difference in the amount of dust in my bedroom where I have it. I live in Phoenix, and dust is a severe issue here. But I will also add that when I've had it on a medium setting, it doesn't create too much noise, and I've had no problem falling asleep.

I haven't bothered with the wi-fi aspect of this, because, really? Why do I need that? So I can have a remote control? Pah. I can just get up and adjust the settings as needed.

So this is a pretty neat device overall, and I'm pleased with it. Or at least I am now that I removed the plastic.

Isis Orb (The Xanth Novels)
Isis Orb (The Xanth Novels)
by Piers Anthony
Price: $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia ain't what it used to be., July 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It sounds like I'm quite similar to other readers here, in that I read the Xanth novels extensively back in the day. When I was in high school, they kept me going, and I loved them dearly. I even contributed a few puns that were used in some of the books.

Alas, I grew up, and moved on in life, and Xanth...Xanth did not.

Anthony's writing really hasn't evolved much, as near as I can tell; still full of scenes that exist only in service to the puns instead of existing in service to the story. The Xanth books are still pegged roughly at the straight teenage boy crowd, with panties galore, and light erotica spilling out everywhere.

There's not even much comfort in the characters. Hapless isn't really that interesting, and his companions aren't that interesting, either. None of them are bad, dull or boring, but they're...just...there. They exist, and they aren't terribly compelling or interesting.

And yet...and yet...

I can't pan the book entirely. It's a Xanth novel, with all that that implies. It is, in retrospect, as good and bad as the earlier ones, and I'm sure my fifteen-year-old self would love it to death, as he did all the Xanth books he read. And so for his sake, I'll say that if you still love those earlier books, you'll probably enjoy this one, and you and my inner teenager will both be very happy.

But if you've moved on in life, and found other things to occupy your time with...perhaps don't return to Xanth. Enjoy those other things, and let your warm memories of this series remain in the past where they belong.

Gem Box - Video Game Console - Suitable for Family Gaming, Kids Gaming and Serious Gamers
Price: $99.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A provisional rating, July 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So for now this gets two stars. Why?

There are a lot of little things that need to be improved, and hopefully will be with a simple update or two. First off, none of the games I own on Android are compatible. Literally none. Pokemon Go? No. Katamari? No. Tapped Out? No. To be fair, there are some games I want to play that are, like the various Final Fantasy games, but that's about it. Hopefully a software update can fix this.

Second, I can't get Gamefly to load. According to the French language error message (and that's another slow eye-roll, but I do read French, so no big deal), my speed isn't sufficient. Which is odd, since I can easily stream Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, etc, through my Roku, which is in the same room.

Finally, there's the fiasco of setup. Getting the various controllers paired with the device was a serious challenge. Myself, who works in technical support, and my friend, who has even more skills than I do, took nearly ten minutes to get everything up and going.

This thing has a lot of potential, and I'll keep trying to use it and revisit my review. But for now, only two stars.

SABRE Home Expandable Wireless Burglar Alarm Security System - Includes Motion Door and Window Sensors LCD Touch Screen Display and Remote Control Key FOB - DIY EASY Installation
Price: $79.00
16 used & new from $79.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, easy to expand!, July 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fine little system. As the headline says, it works well, and it's easy to expand. There are a couple of minor issues, however.

First, the sound is a little more quiet than one might like, especially for a larger house.

Second, there's too much of a delay between the time that, say, a door is opened, and the time the alarm goes off. This may be able to be adjusted, but if it can, I haven't figured out how yet.

Aside from that, just wonderful!

Cuisinart Silicone Heat-Proof Oven Mitt with Quilted Cotton Lining, Aqua
Cuisinart Silicone Heat-Proof Oven Mitt with Quilted Cotton Lining, Aqua
Price: $19.66
2 used & new from $19.49

4.0 out of 5 stars If you don't want your hand to burst into flame..., June 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an oven mitt. It keeps your hand from bursting into flame, or at least feeling like it is, when you grab something hot. In that capacity, it works and works well, providing a nice shield. I'm not sure that one needs one this fancy, when a simple padded cloth one will do, but it works!

PNY Elite 32GB microSDHC Card with Adapter -UHS-I, U1, up to 85MB/Sec (P-SDU32U185EL-GE)
Price: $9.99
8 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, June 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here we have a 32 gig micro SD card. It's...pretty much everything you'd expect. It's small, and it holds 32 gigs. Good transfer rate. Looking forward to seeing how it lasts in the long term, but so far, it's good!

ilumi MLBR302W 1100 lm 15W Dimmable BR30 Bluetooth LED Smart Floodlight Bulb, Arctic White
Price: $59.99
13 used & new from $46.28

4.0 out of 5 stars You light up my life..., June 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very neat little gadget. It functions as a very bright light, and one that you can change the color of. The app for doing so is pretty neat, allowing you to select pre-set colors, but also giving you a color wheel, so you can really pick pretty much anything. It even allows you to (mostly), play Simon with your light, though why you'd want to is beyond me.

The app isn't as reliable as I'd like, and sometimes it takes several tries to make something work. Thus the 4 stars instead of five. But otherwise, quite a neat little thing!

TRANSFORMERS MP29(Masterpiece) Defense adviser"Laser Wave" Japan figure/
TRANSFORMERS MP29(Masterpiece) Defense adviser"Laser Wave" Japan figure/
Offered by Toystop
Price: $127.95
153 used & new from $107.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A true masterpiece!, June 22, 2016
I always kind of liked Shockwave. He was an interesting character in both the old G1 TV series and in the IDW comics. Plus, frankly, the Masterpiece line has been somewhat lacking in Decepticons. One can have only so many Seekers, after all.

So I jumped at the chance to get Masterpiece Shockwave! I'd never had the toy as a kid, and this seemed like a great chance. Now that I have it, what do I think?

It's great! Just great! It looks good, it has a nice heft to it, has some great poseability, and a surprisingly complex transformation. I like that the gun "barrel" part is no longer detachable, but rather forms a part of his body. I also really like that instead of a rubber hose connecting his gun arm to his body, we have a spring with some string in it. I suspect this will hold up well.

Additionally one gets multiple different hands, so if you want Shockwave to be throwing a salute, for example, he can. He also gets a gun to carry which...er...is basically him in gun form. A bit odd, but he did that in the TV show, so there you are.

Now the price here is a bit steep, but I feel it's worth it for what you get, which is something very great. I highly recommend this toy to anyone who likes G1, Shockwave, or just Decepticons in general.

Transformers Masterpiece Prowl Toys R Us Exclusive Figure
Transformers Masterpiece Prowl Toys R Us Exclusive Figure
Offered by TEACHER MAN TOYS & THINGS
Price: $79.99
30 used & new from $58.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, but...!, June 22, 2016
Let's talk about Prowl.

As a character, I was never that into him when he was on the TV series. He's quite interesting in the IDW comics line, however, so getting him as a toy, especially in his G1 form, was something that excited me quite a bit!

And sure enough, this is a wonderful toy. Very faithful to how he looked on TV, in both vehicle and robot mode. Slap on some stickers from a third-party website that specializes in such things and you have a really lovely toy.

Prowl only comes with his gun, which is a bit vexing, as someone like Masterpiece Ironhide comes with a great many accessories. But that's a minor complaint.

However!

There are supposed to be mirrors on this toy. They weren't included in the box, but look at the picture. Mirrors. I had the same problem with Masterpiece Bluestreak.

This does not please me, and I'm docking a star because of it.

But otherwise, this is a great toy, and if you can afford it, it's well-worth the purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20