Profile for D. Umphress > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Umphress RSS Feed (Woodbury, NJ USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Vinegar Rsrve Sherry 8.5 OZ (Pack of 8)
Vinegar Rsrve Sherry 8.5 OZ (Pack of 8)
Offered by Save Plus
Price: $43.76
4 used & new from $43.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherry vinegar is a must for good gazpacho, which I make every summer, December 2, 2014
Sherry vinegar is a must for good gazpacho, which I make every summer. This is also delicious in simple vinaigrettes, where the flavor of the vinegar comes through.

HealthWorks Chemical Free Chia Seeds 3 Pounds
HealthWorks Chemical Free Chia Seeds 3 Pounds
Offered by HealthWorks
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy I've found for chia., December 2, 2014
And this has none of the gritty texture I have found in some chia I have gotten in the past.

CDN TM23-S Big-Digit Digital Timer/Clock
CDN TM23-S Big-Digit Digital Timer/Clock
Price: $15.56
5 used & new from $15.32

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it so much, I got the same thing again!, December 2, 2014
Great kitchen timer! I had one for 8 or 9 years, and it was still working, though the LCD became very light in the last few months, so I started looking to get another timer. Since they were still selling this, I got it! One very useful feature, that I really couldn't tell if others had by reading the descriptions, is that when the timer goes off, you can hit the stop/start button twice, and it resets to the previous time! Great when baking multiple batches of cookies, and similar things, so I don't have to keep resetting. And after the timer goes off, it counts up, to show how much past the time it has gone. It also has a count up mode; though I don't use that as often, it is nice to have for some things. The only bad thing about it is that weak magnet on the back - it barely holds it onto a vertical surface. I improved this, and made it just right for me to look at (being tall as I am, it was pointed at my neck!), by cutting a small wedge of wood at a slight angle, and glued this to the magnet with some contact cement, then glued two rare-earth magnets to the wood. This lasted as long as the old timer, and I just broke it off that one, and re-used it! The only thing different is the alarm - when it first went off, I thought, what is that noise? I was not nearby, so it is as loud as the first one, just different.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than the original!, May 21, 2014
This fits my Maytag UKF 8001, and produces great filtered water, at a much faster rate than the original. I'll definitely replace with this model again.

Honeywell Safety T419-16 Servus SuperSize-4-Buckle Rubber Overboot for Men's, Size-16, Black
Price: $52.90

5.0 out of 5 stars First one I've found that fits when it says size 16!, December 18, 2013
I have trouble finding boots that fit over my 16 x 6E shoes. This one fits over the largest of all of them, with no problem. Looks like very good quality, too, though I'm hoping that I don't have to test it out too much this winter!

The Big Book of Curry Recipes (Big Book Recipes 1)
The Big Book of Curry Recipes (Big Book Recipes 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope this is published in paper some day!, November 12, 2013
I will definitely buy it!

Great curry book! Not just good recipes, but great info about the regions and ingredients. I even found some things I had never seen in any other cookbook, like the soup using banana peels, which was actually very good! Some are basic recipes, as in any large book like this, but you will find many unique and delicious recipes. I did notice a low number of poultr y recipes, as another reviewer noted, and that there is a large number of lamb recipes, sort of reflecting the use of these meats over there, which may not be as useful in the US. And, as in most Indian books, there is a decent number of vegetarian recipes, though not as many dal recipes as I would have liked. Great spice mix recipes, at lest the few that I have tried so far, out of the many that are there.

I am not a fan of cooking from kindle, and especially with recipes such as many of these, with a high number of ingredients, the number of pages for one recipe can become excessive. I have borrowed many books, and if I liked them, bought them in paper, then returned the kindle copy. This is the only one I have considered buying, though I am really hoping that they publish paper.

Simple Scientific Calculator
Simple Scientific Calculator
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Upside-down!, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Simple Scientific Calculator (App)
I deleted this immediately. I got rid of another because it could not be used in landscape mode. This was in landscape mode, but upside-down, and I could not reverse it. looked OK, otherwise.

Super Chili Hybrid Hot Pepper Seeds - Capsicum Annuum - 0.2 Grams - Approx 35 Gardening Seeds - Vegetable Garden Seed

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not my absolute favorite..., July 8, 2013
...but this is one of the most versatile hot peppers, and I have grown it since it came out, back in the 80s. It can be used green, red, or dried, which can't be said of many peppers, and it can be used in place of serranos, though a little hotter, and I have used in in a lot of SE Asian cuisines. Not as hot as Thais, but can be used in place of those. And it is almost always the earliest pepper available in my garden - another plus.

The Weather Channel for Android
The Weather Channel for Android
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did they have to screw this up?/_, July 8, 2013
Seems that every time there is an update on something, it ends up worse off. Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that all the weather they give now is the temp. - no humidity, dew point, wind, etc. Oh yeah, it did tell me it was raining, but I knew that. And of course, the ads have gotten more annoying than ever - the usual reason for improving a site.

Bake Your Own Bread and Be Healthier
Bake Your Own Bread and Be Healthier
by Floss Dworkin
4 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My first bread book!, February 3, 2013
I got this book used, at a school booksale in '75, as it had a lot of whole grain recipes for me to use (I belonged to a co-op back then), and used no white sugar in recipes. White flour, some, but a lot of 100% whole grain recipes, and one I use to this day - potato rye. Also found tips I see in most books to this day, like the spraying of the breads to enhance crust, and that honey almost (not quite, but takes a long time) prevents mold from forming on bread. This, and another early bread book (The Complete Book Of Breads) got me so into baking bread, that I haven't bought bread since '76 (only due to an accident, and I couldn't make it). I still have this book SOMEWHERE, but I have so many other bread books now, it would be hard to find. If I had gotten the latest bread book I bought back then, instead of this simpler book, I may have been overwhelmed by all the information, though I love reading all that stuff now.

Page: 1 | 2