Profile for J. Hedgepeth > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 75

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Hedgepeth RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Mindfulness (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
Mindfulness (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
by Ellen J. Langer
118 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I question her methods., December 1, 2014
Professor Langer uses this book to present a lot of her research. Research is good, but it belongs in peer reviewed journals. If you want to present it in a book, it has to be better presented in a way that is easier to follow. Of course, that should follow only after it has been peer reviewed, and it raises questions as to whether the research is reliable when she passes the peer review process.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PlayStation 4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PlayStation 4
Offered by Bestsku
Price: $27.75
158 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I waited, glad I bought it., November 14, 2014
I'll start with a preface to my review so you can get an idea what type of biases I had going into it.

I've only been playing this game for a week now because I didn't buy it when it first came out. I didn't buy it because I didn't think it was going to be any good. I started playing COD with MW2. I loved it. Then BO2 came out, and it was great too. Except, my focus became more zombie oriented. I enjoyed multiplayer, but not as much as MW2. Then MW3 came out, and I didn't care for it that much. It wasn't terrible, but I played it very little. I suppose I was a fixated with zombies. Although, I still say the multiplayer wasn't as good as the two before it. Then BO2 came out, and yay, more zombies. I played multiplayer more than with MW3, but once again, it was mostly zombies. Multiplayer got old. Endless waves of zombies--that never gets old. At least it doesn't for me. After MW3, I felt like if it doesn't have zombies, I probably wouldn't play it much, so when Ghosts came out, I didn't buy it. Lucky for me, that ended up being a complete bust. The alien mode almost had me, but it was too different to spark my interest. I ended up buying it a few months ago for $20 bucks. I figured it was cheap enough to buy. I haven't played it much. I started the campaign (something I never did before). I didn't stick with it very long. I also didn't care for the alien mode. Then COD AW approaches and I decide not to bother. There was that brief period where zombies had been announced, but it seemed like a minor easter egg as opposed to a real zombie mode. Then it comes out, and it starts to get a lot of praise. Sure there is trash talk; there will always be trash talk. But the consensus seemed overwhelmingly positive. Plus, it came out that a full zombie mode would come out in the DLC. With those two things in mind, I decided it was worth the buying.

Now for the actual review. I still haven't played the campaign, but I plan on doing it because it seems to be getting a good bit of praise. So far, I've only played survival and multiplayer. Survival is fun--no zombies, but fun. Multiplayer is amazing in my opinion. I've never been that great. I've never been very quick, and that hurts me. For a lot of people, the fast paced multiplayer (provided by the excellent exo suits) hinders them. You'd think based on my past performance that it would do the same for me too, but it seems to have the opposite effect. I'm not any faster or slower, but it gives me more time to avoid and aim. I now have a new way of using my intellect to navigate and strategize my game play in a way that helps me beat my opponent. I love that aspect. I think it should require a bit of skill to kill. It also makes it hard to camp and snipe. That is, in my opinion, a great thing. I don't have the patience to sit and wait. I prefer going in to find and face my opponents. That is part of the reason I haven't done so well in past games. It's hard to out maneuver someone who is lying in wait to shoot you the moment you appear.

The graphics are great for the most part. Some of the scenery seems to be a little lackluster. They don't expect us to be focused much on it, but I think it takes away from the experience. It could be better. Also, I have had virtually no lag issues. Even when I see I have low bars, it seems to play fine. However, I have a moderately fast connection. It may be worse for slower connections, or it may be different for others. In fact, I've only played it a week. I may notice more with time.

I'll update my review after I play more and after starting the campaign. My only regret is waiting a week to buy it. Sledgehammer and Treyarch are now on my must buy list.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare - Day Zero Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I waited, glad I bought it., November 14, 2014

Ebola: Natural Remedies + Government  Conspiracies
Ebola: Natural Remedies + Government Conspiracies
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Hope for a vaccine,and get it as soon as you can.But don't put yourself or others at risk by relying on pseudoscience., October 28, 2014
Unfortunately, this sort of propaganda is all too common. As these sorts of medical issues get worse and the need for a cure rises, more and more fringe groups and people come spouting their biased agenda. It’s blatant fear mongering. The situation is bad enough as it is, but people need to understand the facts. Facts aren't what you want to believe. It’s a matter of what the evidence shows. You can’t cure Ebola with various vitamins and supplements.
If and when a vaccine becomes available, this type of fake science will become even more dangerous as people opt for “natural remedies” as opposed to what has been proven to work.

CASIO F91W-1 Casual Sport Watch
CASIO F91W-1 Casual Sport Watch
Offered by shopemco
Price: $10.56
13 used & new from $6.00

3.0 out of 5 stars This is one watch that just doesn't shine., October 28, 2014
Overall, it's a nice watch. It's thin. The circumference is smaller than I anticipated, but I adjusted to it quick enough. My only complaint is the back-light. Perhaps mine is defective;let me know if it is. However, the watch I got only emits a faint light from the left side of the screen. It dims as you reach the right side and is nearly useless. I can see maybe having it emitted from the left and right. Maybe the right light is broken. I can't find a way to ask other buyers about this item, so if you did buy it let me know if yours is the same.
Otherwise, it's a really disappointing feature because I like to make use of the back light. I should add, that the in pitch blackness, it should work, but rarely am I in pitch blackness. It's the in-between stage where lighting is dim but strong enough that the light in the watch is barely noticeable.

MERCY
MERCY
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad this wasn't just another cheap adaption., October 13, 2014
This review is from: MERCY (Amazon Instant Video)
That was spectacular. This film has had no hype. I couldn't even find a torrent of it, yet it's one of the best horror films I've seen in a long while. It's been even longer since I've seen such a good adaption of one of Stephen King's works.

They Came Together
They Came Together
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not the best ever, but it is pretty funny, August 24, 2014
It's not the best ever, but it is pretty funny. I'm surprised it has gotten so many bad reviews. I'm not sure how many of the reviewers understand that the cliche idiocy of the film is the nature of a parody.

Noah
Noah
DVD ~ Russell Crowe
Price: $9.99
39 used & new from $4.53

4.0 out of 5 stars It really was not a bad film. It was well cast and the story ..., July 13, 2014
This review is from: Noah (DVD)
I'm only semi-surprised at the low rating. It really was not a bad film. It was well cast and the story was pretty interesting. It seems like most of the outcry is that it isn't biblical accurate, but it never claims to be an historical reenactment. He takes a common religious story or myth and turns into an epic fantasy. Getting upset that it isn't true to the bible is like making a fuss over Clash of the Titans being untrue to classic Greek mythology.

Flying Fisherman Cabo Polarized Sunglasses
Flying Fisherman Cabo Polarized Sunglasses
Price: $18.41 - $46.54

2.0 out of 5 stars These are kids glasses., June 15, 2014
This glasses are very small. I suspect they are great for children, but not for an adult. I wish it had clearly stated, "children's size." or something similar.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey [Blu-ray]
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Neil Degrasse Tyson
Price: $24.99
57 used & new from $16.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my god, this is even more amazing in blu-ray., June 9, 2014
So I got my copy a day early in the mail, and I had to check it out. I think it goes without saying that the show is beautiful, inspiring, and an overall spectacular follow up to the original. But the Blu-ray, the detail is amazing. 1080p is a small step up, but it really adds to the experience.

I'm also loving the special features. I just finished watching the commentary to the first episode. I look forward to the other features in the set. Although, there are only about 4 different features. That is my only complaint; I wish we had more special features--more commentary.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8