Profile for Christopher Hawkins > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christopher Hawkins RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Original Apple 85w Magsafe Power Adapter A1222 (Generic Packaging)
Original Apple 85w Magsafe Power Adapter A1222 (Generic Packaging)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival, August 29, 2012
Didn't power up my MacBook Pro. Tried the MLC on a different computer to make sure my computer wasn't the issue. It didn't work. Took a different power adapter and hooked it up to my computer. It worked fine. The MLC adapter was a piece of junk.

MLC has a obligation to make sure the products they sell are of the highest quality. Being able to return it is not good enough. I don't want to wait a couple more days for another one. You can't exchange it through Amazon. You have to order another one and return the old one.

Alvin DM357C DraftMatic Mechanical Pencils, Set of 3, DM03 DM05 DM07
Alvin DM357C DraftMatic Mechanical Pencils, Set of 3, DM03 DM05 DM07
Offered by Sale Stores
Price: $25.95
8 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mechanical pencils I've used, March 12, 2012
Very comfortable for me even though my hands are large and the diameter of the barrel is rather small. Keeping the pencils in the leather case is a must because the tips of the pencils are a bit delicate. I like having the different lead diameters. 0.7mm for writing, 0.5mm for marking the outside of knife lines (woodworking) and 0.3mm for dropping down into the knife lines.

Starrett C11H-6-4R Cast Iron Square Head With Satin Chrome Blade Combination Square, Black Wrinkle Finish, 4R Graduation, 6" Size
Price: $89.00
7 used & new from $89.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazingly useful tool of heirloom quality, March 12, 2012
Starrett's 6" inch combination square is regarded by many as a the best on the market. I haven't evaluated any of the other high end squares, but to my mind it is nearly flawless. Why do I think this?

It is square, not kinda' sorta' square if you hold it right. I mean square to the point where you can't detect any light between a machinist's reference block and the body or blade even with strong backlighting. Your eye can see light from a 0.001" opening so you know the square is at least this square.

You can tighten the thumbwheel using only one hand to achieve the squareness described above.

The numbers and lines are engraved so they don't wear off. The engravings are deep enough so that you can put the points of your dividers in them to accurately set the distance between the points.

The satin finish on the blade makes it easy to read.

The "4R" marking system (1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64) is more useful than you might realize. It cuts down errors due to misreading the scale and is faster.

Reinserting the blade after removing it from the body is easy. On some squares, this is a major hassle. On the Starrett, the protrusion in the body which holds the blade generally stays in place when you remove the blade. If it gets misaligned with the slot, it is easy to rotate it back to parallel with the body so you can reinsert the blade. The spring holding the protrusion has the proper amount of stiffness.

Another good thing is that it is rugged. I haven't hit it with a hammer or put a torch to it, but it has suffered a lot of drops onto a wooden floor without damage.

Why don't I think it is perfect? It will rust (like almost all steel) if you don't take care of it. By taking care of it I mean storing it dry, free of salt from sweat, and dust. Not a big deal, but this is a precision square so treat it with the care it deserves.

A wise man once said, "When you buy quality, you only cry once." Do yourself a favor and buy this square.

Stanley 10788 Curved Quick-Change Utility Knife, Stainless Steel Retractable Blade, 3 Blades
Price: $6.99
64 used & new from $2.20

1.0 out of 5 stars The blade changing instructions are terrible, January 23, 2012
I'm quite mechanically adept and couldn't figure it out. I can't believe that Stanley handicapped this product and their brand by not doing a better job on the instructions.

This review gives great instructions on how to change the blade. http://www.amazon.com/review/R3MG0YO1V5ELTD/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000051WTG&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Maglite XL200 LED Flashlight, Red
Maglite XL200 LED Flashlight, Red
Price: $34.99
22 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best flashlight I've ever used, November 19, 2011
Wow! Bright. Lightweight. Simple to use. Small size makes it easy to store in a car door pocket, glove compartment or center console. The emergency flashing mode could be a lifesaver. I've going to buy several more to give away this Christmas.

Price: $132.05
4 used & new from $129.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Flattening stone not flat. Cost me at least 4 hours of wasted effort, August 24, 2011
I'd used my son's Norton flattening stone in conjunction with the 220/1000 and 4000/8000 combination stone and had good luck with it. I ordered the same system as I was using "Norton Waterstone Starter Kit: 220/1000 grit stone, 4000/8000 grit stone, SiC flattening stone" from Amazon. I did a quick flattening of all the stones and went to work.

Norton's tub shaped flattening stone wasn't flat so I spent 2 hours turning my beautifully cambered convex A2 steel 1/8" thick smoothing plane iron into a useless concave smoothing iron which is 0.004" concave over 2 1/8". The flattening stone was concave shaped on the 3" side. It will take me several hours to fix the plane iron. The flattening stone was bowed up 0.010 inches in the center of the long side. I called Norton customer service and they said we don't handle customer complaints. Just send it back to Amazon for a replacement. This really stinks. I'm going to keep sending the replacements back to Amazon until I get an acceptable quality sharpening system.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2013 11:37 AM PDT

Triton MOF001C 2-1/4-Horsepower Precision Router Kit
Triton MOF001C 2-1/4-Horsepower Precision Router Kit
Offered by Viking Mountain Tool Works
Price: $249.99
3 used & new from $199.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very frustrating to change bits. Defective unit?, March 16, 2011
This is my first router and was intended for use primarily in a router table. What attracted me to this router was the ability to change bits without removing it from the table. It turns out I've had endless problems getting the router to raise to its full height so that I can do this. After spending a few hours tracking down someone in the US who could help, I found someone and thought the issue was caused by me using a foot switch to turn on/off the router. It turns out this wasn't the case.

My son disassembled the collet locking rod assembly and cleaned it. It worked once after it was cleaned. Then it was back to its same ole' tricks. I finally gave up and bought a Peachtree offset collet wrench to change the bits..

A very frustrating experience, both from the tool not working and poor customer support perspectives.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

BodySport Products Ring Cushion, Large - Color: Blue - 18" Diameter
BodySport Products Ring Cushion, Large - Color: Blue - 18" Diameter
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $16.00
11 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, reasonably discreet and good durability, December 18, 2010
Unfortunately I've needed these products several times and have had the "opportunity' to evaluate the red rubber blow up donut, the clear vinyl blow up donut and a product that appears to be similar to the BodySport Products Donut Cushion. The red rubber and clear vinyl donuts scream "Hey everyone, I'm having trouble with my bottom." The clear donuts are junk. They might last a day. The red ones are generally OK function, but I had one complete failure and they all have had to be reinflated in about a week. The BodySport Products Donut Cushion is by the most comfortable, durable and discreet.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Reputation is well deserved, March 24, 2010
Prior reviewers have given details, so I'll just add my voice to the chorus of praise.

Maximal Power POU-ST-O74 Medium StandPouch Nylon Hard Shell Digital Camera Case (Silver)
Price: $31.50
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel combination of camera mount and case, March 24, 2010
I wish I thought of this. The camera mount works great and the case is durable enough for moderate protection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3