Profile for HappyFunBall > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

HappyFunBall RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Return to Tranzotica
Return to Tranzotica
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful album, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Return to Tranzotica (MP3 Music)
Tranzotica is a pretty amazing album. Beyond just the music, which I believe is the rare type of music that can be universally appreciated, it has a subtle yet consistently effective ability to put me in a better mood. It's unlike any other album I own or have heard.

The songs are well-written and played beautifully, and flow together nicely when you listen from start to finish. I highly recommend this album to really any music lover, no matter your primary taste.

Vocal Warm-Ups for the Modern Singer
Vocal Warm-Ups for the Modern Singer
Price: $17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Every vocalist should own this, May 25, 2014
These warmups are a great way to keep your voice in shape or get ready for a performance. I've worked through this album hundreds of times. I think of it as like the stretches and exercises an athlete does to keep in shape, and I've made following these warmups a regular part of my routine. It's helped me increase my range over time.

There is a range of difficulty to the warmups, so any level singer can benefit. Some of the exercises toward the end are a real challenge!

Don't Look Back
Don't Look Back
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Don't Look Back (MP3 Music)
There are a lot of strong songs on this album. I was first hooked on Silvery Moon and then couldn't get Sunday Afternoon out of my head. Now Paradise With You is stuck there :) I highly recommend this one!

Alpocalypse
Alpocalypse
Price: $7.29
42 used & new from $2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stand omelets!, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Alpocalypse (Audio CD)
Alpocalypse is Al's strongest album in years. If you haven't bought a Weird Al album before, this is a great one to start with. If you are already a fan, do what I do: Don't sample anything, just buy the album and listen without spoiling it. And then listen again. I swear it was funnier the second time listening.

As always there are tons of contemporary pop-culture references and subtle jokes hidden in the songs. On the surface Al is a goofball, hamming it up for a laugh. Deep down he's a very intelligent and creative person, with a witty sense of humor that reflects in his songs.

You won't regret buying this album. You *could* go spend your $10 on a summer blockbuster movie about some two-guys-a-girl-and-a-pizza-place star dressed in green tights and get 100 minutes of entertainment, but this album will give you far more value than that. And it goes good with popcorn too.

Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating
by Walter Willett
Price: $10.26
266 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The only diet that has ever worked for me., July 13, 2009
This book was recommended to me by my doctor when I asked for an alternative to taking Lipitor to decrease my cholesterol. He recommended three things, two of which you've probably heard before: Eat lots of fiber (over 25g / day), eat very little sat fat (less than 25g / day) and no trans fat, and read this book and follow its advice.

I very much did not want to start taking medication so I made the effort to take his advice and follow this book's recommendations as much as possible. I focused mainly on adding fiber and limiting saturated fats as daily goals, and I used the knowledge in this book to help me decide what to eat. This book focuses on the positive. It explains which foods are best for long term health based on the results of large, diverse, long-term studies. It points out what foods are bad for you and why, but mainly focuses on which foods to choose rather than which to avoid.

As a pleasant side-effect, I lost 20 lbs in a matter of 6 months, getting to a healthy BMI number. I can honestly say most days I ate as much as I wanted to and I never starved myself. I don't have the will-power for that. I also decreased my cholesterol and triglyceride levels to well below the healthy limits

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to lower their cholesterol, lose weight, and/or simply learn how to eat better. The USDA food pyramid we've been taught for years is flawed, and this book sets the record straight.

Ion Tape2PC USB Cassette Deck
Ion Tape2PC USB Cassette Deck
Price: $89.99
57 used & new from $60.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners who don't care about sound quality, December 11, 2007
I feel obligated to review this item since I bought it and returned it after being unsatisfied with the sound quality. If you're like me, you're trying to get your tape collection onto your computer. I was looking for the best sound quality first, and if possible, an easy way to make the transfers. The Tape2PC didn't do either.

My recommendation is to buy yourself a new dual tape deck that offers auto-reverse and relay play. Most new decks have both features, including the new Sony deck I bought.

The Tape2PC boasts that it comes with Audacity audio software, but you can download Audacity for free (just google it). Hook up the tape deck to your computer's line-in jack using an RCA to 1/8" adapter. 99% of computers already have a line-in jack and the ability to record with relatively little white noise added. The Audacity software is easy to use and will let you convert files to MP3 or WAV. If you're comfortable using a computer, the entire process will be easy for you.

Reasons to buy Tape2PC:
Tape2PC is good for beginners who don't know much about computers. The included software has a wizard that walks you step by step through the process. It will help you name the files and even help split the tape into separate tracks, provided you sit through the whole process and click a button at the exact moment you want to split the tracks (who has time for that?)

It auto imports files into iTunes, and from there you can sync to your iPod easily.

Reasons not to buy Tape2PC:
Number one reason is quality. I thought a USB device would eliminate interference and hums and lead to the best sound quality, but it was less of a factor than I originally thought. The key is the tape deck itself. The Tape2PC deck is a cheap deck at best and even if the USB connection adds no noise, the sound from the deck is lousy to start with. It's mostly noticable on the high-end frequencies - they sound muffled or missing altogether.

The Tape2PC is a dual deck, but doesn't have auto-reverse. That means you need to come back to the computer every 25-45 minutes after one side as been recorded, flip the tape over, and start recording the other side. On the other hand, a dual deck with auto-reverse and relay play means you can load up 2 tapes, and have both sides play in sequence. Set your computer to record and come back and hour or two later (or 200 minutes later if you have 100min mix tapes, for example). You can split the tracks manually in the audacity software after the fact. Most computers nowadays can handle recording 200 minutes without running out of disk space.

Lastly, using the built in Tape2PC software was sort of a pain because it requires iTunes to be installed and it always converts files to MP3s at a low bit-rate. I wanted to convert them to WAV files (i.e. lossless format) and to do that I couldn't use the included Tape2PC software. I was required to use Audacity, but again that's free so what's the advantage to buying this Tape2PC system?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2012 2:54 PM PDT

Tyranny of Souls
Tyranny of Souls
18 used & new from $8.11

3.0 out of 5 stars I know Bruce can do better., July 8, 2005
This review is from: Tyranny of Souls (Audio CD)
I'll be brief. The music, creative guitar work, and vocal performance is very good. If that's all you care about, then you'll be very pleased with this album.

However, if you like the introspective and political lyrics that Bruce had in earlier albums, especially Balls to Picasso, you'll be disappointed with this one. Most of the lyrics deal with the fantasy world, which I think works better with Iron Maiden.

Bruce has a lot more to offer lyrically. I enjoy hearing his views on the injustices of the world, personal struggles, and any topic based in reality. His music and voice fit so well with lyrics that have substance. Go back and listen to Cyclops and you'll understand.