Profile for sarany > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

sarany RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Presto 02835 MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker
Presto 02835 MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker
Price: $14.82
29 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works surprisingly well, March 16, 2015
I have been using the MyJo for a couple of months now and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I don't even know how many different types of coffee makers I currently own but I never felt compelled to buy an expensive Keurig. When I came across the MyJo, being that it is so much more affordable than a Keurig, the lure of all those K-cups prompted me to try it.

I normally have a pot of coffee going in the morning but I thought this would come in handy if I wanted a cup later in the day or was in the mood for something other than what I had already brewed. It does take some experimenting to find the right coffee and the right amount of water. Some things just don't seem to work well. For example, I love my Starbuck's Cafe Verona but the K-cup just doesn't taste as good as the ground coffee, even using less water. A Green Mountain dark blend came out very good though.

On the other hand, I am surprised at how well teas and hot chocolate come out. I thought those would be problematic since you normally steep tea and mix hot chocolate in with the water. Timothy's White Chocolate hot chocolate is delicious as is Celestial Seasongs Sleepytime tea. I have also opened up tea bags and used the refillable cup to make the tea. At first I thought I might need two tea bags to get a good cup but one bag works just fine.

Another big plus for this is being able to use it even if the power goes out (as during some of the winter storms we had).

If you like the idea of all those different K-cup flavors but don't want to spend a lot for a machine, this is an alternative to consider.

Microhearth Grill Pan for Microwave Cooking, Black
Microhearth Grill Pan for Microwave Cooking, Black
Price: $39.80
8 used & new from $34.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy addition to the kitchen, March 16, 2015
I've been using the Microhearth Grill for about two months now and, in some ways, it really has changed the way I cook. Being able to grill in the microwave in a matter of minutes has encouraged me to prepare more things from scratch... things that would normally take a lot of time standing at the stove with a frying pan. For example, I find myself making homemade french fries, potato pancakes, zucchini pancakes and grilled vegetables. I do use the grill a lot for frozen foods but it's a treat to be able to cook up the fresh foods so easily and quickly.

I have cooked steaks, veal, lamb, burgers and fish and everything comes out with a true grilled taste but still very moist. The one thing I will not cook in this is a thicker steak. I think my tabletop grill does a better job because it cooks both sides at once. And, while this is pretty easy to clean, it cannot be submerged in water while the plates from my grill can go right in the sink.

Still, this is a very handy item to have in your kitchen. Once you experiment with timing and the right amount of oil or liquid, it is a breeze to use and really extends the capabilities of your microwave. I love it!

Kosher Recipes
Kosher Recipes

1.0 out of 5 stars Pork? Really?, November 26, 2014
This review is from: Kosher Recipes (App)
For goodness sake, if you are going to create an app of "kosher" recipes, please find out what "kosher" means first. Spaghetti carbonara with pancetta bacon? Newsflash... not kosher. I kept this app on my Kindle for all of one minute. I'm not even interested in seeing what other "not-so-kosher" goodies are there. Obviously, the developer couldn't care less about the app since another reviewer mentioned the pork more than a year ago and, hey, guess what? It is still there. Don't waste your time with this app.

Learn Italian 6000 Words
Learn Italian 6000 Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to brush up on languages, October 24, 2014
This review is from: Learn Italian 6000 Words (App)
I installed this to brush up on my Italian. It is a great way to review or add to your vocabulary. It is NOT an app for actually learning the language since it is strictly for vocabulary... no grammar.

You can select categories and subcategories to study and at the end of each group, you are presented with a variety of word exercises... matching up the English and Italian words using images, lists of the words, spelling exercises... I think the repetition is key to retaining what you learn.

You also hear the correct pronunciation of each word.

Here's what I especially like about the app. You can select your native language so I decided to see what happens if I select Hebrew rather than English. Now the menus and instructions are all in Hebrew and I'm matching up Italian with Hebrew rather than English. I'm brushing up on two languages at once. How great is that!

The app works perfectly with my first generation Kindle Fire HD 7". Permissions are not excessive. An Internet connection is not necessary so you can study wherever you are.

For a vocabulary lesson or refresher, you can't go wrong with this free app.

Fintie Slim Fit Leather Case Auto Sleep/Wake for Kindle Fire HD 7-Inch Tablet - 2012 Model - Black
Offered by Fintie
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case but not for me, October 24, 2014
I purchased this to replace my old case (one designed by Amazon) when I started having problems with the volume button popping out but I am returning this. I can't really fault the case. It is more a matter of preference. I hadn't thought about the fact that this case actually extends over the front of the Kindle. My old case has a hard back and the Kindle sort of snaps in place with the sides of the case ending at the top edge of the Kindle (it still has a cover with the same sleep function as this one). As soon as I started using this, I realized that it was going to be very awkward for me with the case itself getting in my way. I also like the fact that the other case has its own volume and power buttons rather than cutouts. In addition, the old case is a bit slimmer so it fits better in my purse.

Since I think I have resolved my volume button problem (for now anyway), I will stick with the old case and replace it with the same one if I have to.

The only other thing that I could see would be a problem is having to use the stand on a flat surface. That wouldn't be of much use when I am reading or watching a video in bed.

Obviously, this case works fine for a lot of people. It just doesn't serve my needs.

Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press
Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press
Offered by Cinnam
Price: $54.00
41 used & new from $54.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grill at a great price, September 19, 2014
I bought this to replace my GF grill which I had for years. It was one of the originals and while it worked well, cleaning it was not fun. Thank goodness for removeable grill plates! So much easier and with a ridged sponge made specifically for the ridged grill plates, I can get every bit of it spotless.

I haven't made any paninis yet but so far I have grilled chicken, beef, veal, fish (just be careful with thin fillets... they cook SO quickly) and potatoes. Everything comes out delicious and even my very picky father seems to enjoy what I grill, especially the steak and burgers. I'm looking forward to experimenting with other foods.

It is a good size for two people and, having run out of counter space, I'm glad that it sits nicely on top of my stove.

I think this is a great buy for the price. I know it will get a lot of use in my house.

The Jewish 2014-2015 Engagement Calendar: Jewish Year 5775
The Jewish 2014-2015 Engagement Calendar: Jewish Year 5775
by The Jewish Museum New York
Edition: Calendar
16 used & new from $12.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful engagement book and calendar, September 1, 2014
I opted for the portability of this engagement book rather than a wall calendar this year and it was definitely worth it. The book has one page per week with plenty of room for writing in appointments, birthdays, etc. It also includes Torah readings and at the back of the book you will find information pertaining to the Jewish holidays as well as their dates through the year 2028. I also like the fact that information is provided for Israeli national holidays. Shabbat and holiday candlelighting times are provided through December 2015. And, of course, there are interesting photos of items from the collection at the Jewish Museum. It really is much more than just a calendar.

2015 Jewish Art Calendar by Mickie (16 Month, Begins Sept 2014)
2015 Jewish Art Calendar by Mickie (16 Month, Begins Sept 2014)
Offered by Libros Judios
Price: $20.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and useful, September 1, 2014
As always, Mickie's art is beautiful and I appreciate the fact that candlelighting times are conveniently placed at the bottom of each month's page.

Kingdom Chronicles HD
Kingdom Chronicles HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful time/resource management game, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Kingdom Chronicles HD (App)
If you ever played Kingdom Chronicles on your PC and wonder if this version is as good, the answer is yes. Actually, if you prefer a touch screen to mousing around, it is better. Everything is the same... the graphics, music and gameplay. I am grateful, too, that the game's creators did not modify it into a game that nickels and dimes you to death (unlike some other game producers). You pay for the game and you play it (after you play a few levels for free to see if you like it). The only additional expense is for the extra levels where you play as the baddies. If you have played those levels on your PC, you may not feel the need to pay $1.99 to play them here.

If you have never played the game before, it is a time and resource management game. You collect your resources, construct buildings and complete special tasks like retrieving magic crystals. Depending on how quickly you complete a level, you receive either gold, silver or bronze. You can replay any level.

Certain levels can seem impossible to beat in gold time because you have to vanquish so many enemies but here's a tip... the enemies don't appear until after you have built the barracks so try to put off doing that as long as you can. Collect your resources and build your buildings as much as you can first (especially if you need to upgrade the barracks itself for the level... try to have the resources needed to do that so you don't have to wait to upgrade). You may want to restart a level to get the timing right but once you do, you should be able to get gold on all levels.

This is one of my favorite games of this genre. It is just so well done. Even the music (music in games usually annoys me) is appropriate for the game.

It plays very well on my Kindle Fire HD 7" (first generation).

My only complaint is that I'm still waiting for Kingdom Chronicles 2.

Enjoy!

Real Einstein Riddle
Real Einstein Riddle

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a little work, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Real Einstein Riddle (App)
I enjoy doing these logic puzzles and this is a fairly decent version. It works well on my Kindle Fire HD 7". The user interface is good. The graphics are decent.

I do have two issues with it though. First, as other reviewers have mentioned, when you select an object in one box, it should automatically be removed from all others.

Second, and this one is more important to me, there are too many redundant and useless clues. By that I mean that if you tell me, for example, that the American is wearing a baseball hat in clue #1, there is no reason to tell me in clue #8 that the American is not wearing a feathered hat and in clue #9 that the American is not wearing a graduation hat. Both of those facts were already established in clue #1. All this does is slow the game down and when you are playing against a clock, you don't need to be reading through useless clues.

If the game's creator ever fixes these issues, I will gladly add stars to my rating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4