Profile for B. Cain > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Cain RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Alvarez Artist Series AF75 Folk Guitar, Natural/Gloss Finish
Alvarez Artist Series AF75 Folk Guitar, Natural/Gloss Finish
Price: Click here to see our price
6 used & new from $277.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound and quality., February 1, 2014
I bought this for 2 of my daughters to start learning on. They absolutely love it. It's not so bulky as my dreadnought acoustic guitar. They are able to get their small hands in better position to make the chords. The sound is very nice considering the size.
I'm very glad that I made this purchase.

Pyle-Home PTCDS3UIP Classical Trumpet Horn Turntable with AM/FM Radio CD/Cassette/USB & Direct to USB Recording
Price: $245.99
30 used & new from $184.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoying it!, February 1, 2014
We're really enjoying this player.
It's not hi-fi surround sound quality (naturally), but we enjoy the vintage look and sound.

TETON Sports Deer Hunter -35 Degree F Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag (90"x 39", Brown, Right Zip)
Price: $134.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sleeping bag for extreme cold, December 1, 2013
This sleeping bag is excellent for very cold weather camping. The outer fabric is very durable. The inner lining is very comfortable.

Andoku Sudoku 2 Free
Andoku Sudoku 2 Free
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxing game, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Andoku Sudoku 2 Free (App)
I enjoy playing this game at the end of a busy day ... gets worries off my mind ... very relaxing, yet stimulating.

Kilimanjaro - The Way It Is; Volume 1: The Western Breach
Kilimanjaro - The Way It Is; Volume 1: The Western Breach
DVD ~ Eben Schoeman
2 used & new from $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A trekker's presentation, March 29, 2007
This is a very interesting presentation --not polished-- but very informative from a boots-on-the-ground trekker's perspective.

I'm hoping they produce a DVD for the Machame-ascent/Mweka-descent. Don't forget to visit their website ([...]); it's loaded with information.

I have the other two popular DVDs on Kilimanjaro ('To the Roof of Africa' and 'Volcano Above the Clouds'), but this one might be my favorite due to it's unique point-of-view.

An Introduction to Design Patterns in C++ with Qt 4
An Introduction to Design Patterns in C++ with Qt 4
by Alan Ezust
Price: $37.25
52 used & new from $3.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a book of Qt API, September 22, 2006
The layout and design make for easy reading. The book makes heavy usage of examples ... downloadable from the Internet; this is especially beneficial since it's easier to learn abstract concepts through examples.

Some sections go into detail that's not covered in the book 'C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4'. I especially appreciated chapter 15 ... as I've recently been dealing with meta-objects and properties and would have found it very useful. Also of special import, chapter 17 presents a complete MVC example.

There are many chapters that should have been covered more lightly ... especially chapters 1-8 and chapters 19-24. Those topics are covered in sufficient detail in other texts. Admittedly, the authors make their intent clear in the overview and in the posted TOC. So, at least for some, it's a one-stop resource.

I didn't care for the book referring to auto_ptr as a "smart pointer" ... misleading IMHO since it violates normal language semantics ... modifying the RHS in an expression. But, that's just a pet peeve of mine. I'd recommend QPointer or boost::smart_ptr instead.

The biggest negative is that the examples in the book are not structured by chapter/topic. It's a bit cumbersome to cherry-pick a topic and to have it easily reinforced by example. Also, the examples don't readily build with Visual C++. It appears the build environment has only been tested with Linux, UNIX, etc.

Considering all things, I'm still very glad that I purchased the book because it focuses on more than just the API ... incorporating the usage of some of today's best practices.

Kilimanjaro Map (International travel maps)
Kilimanjaro Map (International travel maps)
by International Travel Maps
Edition: Map
7 used & new from $13.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Best map available, September 21, 2006
I really appreciate the availability of this map. I did notice a few missing notations as mentioned by the previous reviewer. Nonetheless, it's the best Kili map I've been able to find.

Kilimanjaro & Mount Kenya: A Climbing and Trekking Guide
Kilimanjaro & Mount Kenya: A Climbing and Trekking Guide
by Cameron Burns
60 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, September 21, 2006
Having gone through the preparation to climb Kili, I found this book to be very informative ... especially the sections on traveling through Tanzania and Kenya. Much thanks to the other reviewers for warnings on the use of Diamox and the need for conditioning.

Head First Design Patterns
Head First Design Patterns
by Eric Freeman
Price: $36.24
131 used & new from $19.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much fluff, June 27, 2006
I bought the book on the strength of the Amazon reviews.

Unfortunately, the book is written to the level of a child ... or perhaps to someone who has ADHD. I found the style very tedious, pompous, and excessively expressive.

This is quite possible the worst book I've ever purchased.

Creating Computer Simulation Systems: An Introduction to the High Level Architecture
by Dr. Frederick Kuhl
Price: $63.17
48 used & new from $2.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book on HLA available, May 2, 2006
I think most of the negative reviews are actually against HLA and due to a lack of experience with component-based simulation system development ... not the book itself.

With the lack of resources out there, I really appreciate this resource.

I've just begun to read the book and find it very easily read. I'll post another review as I progress.

Page: 1 | 2